Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: ojrules
erm, no running at default stuff is working,.. just some initial teething problems... its that once at 2.4ghz i cant get stable decent mem speeds (other than auto).. meaning for instance in crysis it actualy plays slower, than before with my p4.... mypsu is fine; an enermax beast 620w, could run a town off the thing... o and should i enable that no-execute mem thing?..

No-Execute Memory Protection is a safety feature that isnt going to effect your speed. Used with WinXP SP2, it provides some questionable benefits.

http://www.microsoft.com/techn...indowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx

I would think your memory is better, but try these looser settings. SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth benchmark is a good benchmark for memory.

Chipset Configuration
==================================================
DRAM Frequency [333MHz (DDRII667) ]
Flexibility Option [Disabled]
DRAM CAS# Latency [5]
DRAM Bank Interleave [4-Way]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [5T]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [18T]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [5T]
REF to ACT/REF to REF (Trfc) [Auto]
ACT (0) to ACT (1) (Trrd) [Auto]
Read to Precharge (Trtp) [Auto]
Write to Read CMD (Twtr) [Auto]
Write Recovery Time (Twr) [Auto]
DRAM Bus Selection [Auto]
DRAM Command Rate [2T Command]
> Advanced Memory Configuration [Untouched]
> Advanced Host Configuration [Untouched] Except for Pipeline DRQCTL Enabled

DRAM Voltage [Low]
AGP Voltage [High]

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: cpmee
Originally posted by: jimmor
Originally posted by: Microsystem

.......I measure VAGP with a digital multi meter
Default: Normal 1.61V and High:1.62V (this wonder me too)

Your bios default "Normal/High" measured values for Vagp seem a bit odd to me ---> hardly worth having two different bios settings ?

My experience of measuring Vagp on 4coredual-vsta and 4coredual-sata mobos is that it was 1.59 and 1.64 volts for same bios settings.

OK, I got around to measuring my vagp, per the vr-forums diagram.

I got Normal = 1.597 volts
Auto = 1.605 volts
High = 1.605 volts

Since my meter also has a temperature probe, I measured temps along with the voltages.
With an old pci card in, the agp mosfet has a temp of 55C at all voltages. Interestingly, without any video card in, the temp is 34C. Ambient was 22C in all cases.

55C before the vagp mod is pretty high, and given the tiny space available for a sink, I dont think a sink does much jimmor. I think some sort of an air hose blowing on the mosfet is what is needed.

So also pointless having more that one Vagp setting with your particular mobo ---> what have asrock been doing to some of their 4coredual-sata2 mobos ---> weird "new" not so good bios cpu overclocking settings, and now weird bios Vagp settings ?

However, it probably now makes a bit more sense as to why lots of 4coredual users appeared to have weird issues trying to achieve high overclocks ---> a problem which my "version" of 4coredual has never suffered from ?

Yes, the Vagp MOSFET can run into mid 50's (and not much higher, even with 2v vagp ---> it runs from 3.3v supply, and higher Vagp means less volts accross Mosfet) ---> And yes, I have fitted a small "tall" heatsink onto it, and it does help ---> mind you it probably also benefits from the fact that I have a fan fitted inside my case whose job is simply to circulate cool air around ?

The Northbridge heatsink also gets hotter, which is why I fitted a 40x40mm fan.

And just for interest, a main reason that Asrock removed the "EIST/Speedstep" options from the bios was because asrock tech determined that some early Northbridges had overheated and failed because of being deprived of cpu heatsink cooling air when EIST/Speedstep had stepped the fan down to low speeds ? Obviously decided disabling the speedstep functions was easier and much cheaper than fitting a fan onto the northbridge heatsink ?

OK, I did the vagp mod. I penciled the R2471 resistor from a value of 1.889Kohms to a
value of 1.779Kohms. My vagp then went to 1.705 volts from a value of 1.605 volts.
That mosfet also increased in temp from 55C to 59C. The northbridge heatsink may have
increased in temp, but only slightly. After the mod, the temp was only 32C, measured
at the center of the northbridge sink, 22C ambient. I didnt measure it before the mod, but it was fairly cold. Also when I first got the board, one of the first things I did was to remove the northbridge sink and wipe off the Asrock thermal paste to write down the numbers on the chip. I then reapplied AS Ceramique on the chip, so that helps with my nb cooling.

I got 285fsb, OCCT stable, up from 280fsb OCCT stable.

In my case, I cant put in a tall mosfet heatsink. Because of the heatsink on my vga
card, my total area I have to work with is about 1cm long X 1cm wide x 1.5cm high.

Besides my air hose idea, the other idea I have is to get a piece of copper sheet,cut
it to the proper size, fold it up like an accordian, and attach it to vga heatsink.
The spring action would then keep it against the mosfet, and it would benefit from the huge area of the vga heatsink.

Even although my mobos original Vagp of 1.64v allowed an overclock stable to 290-300ish, it took a change to around 1.85 to be stable at 305-310ish and 2v for 320's ?

And certainly something strange about our different mobos since your northbridge was apparently "fairly cold" at original 1.6v and now only 32C at 1.7v ---> from my experience, both seem a bit low ---> so be interesting to see how high your temp goes with Vagp at 1.8-2V levels ?

Even with a 40mm fan fitted to my Northbridge, it easily breaks 40C+ !

The single slot heatsink on my 7800GS agp card does not interfere with the small heatsink I fixed (used arctic thermal adhesive) to Vagp mosfet. And although the mosfet heatsink is "hot" to touch, it's not that hot that I can't hold my finger on it so not "overheating" in my opinion ?

Your copper "accordian" heat link sounds a most interesting idea ?

Update: I penciled down to 1.667K ohms, giving a vagp voltage of 1.808 volts. It only gave me 287fsb up from 285fsb OCCT stable. (I can boot into windows and run super-pi at 300fsb, but its not OCCT stable).

Maybe a vcore mod is needed, or maybe my board just is a dog as far as the fsb wall goes.

Looks like by the time you get to Vagp of 2v, you may just about achieve a stable overclock of 300+ ?

And since I generally believe that a typical 4coredual mobo with almost any C2D type would require an increase in Vcore to run at 300 levels, I suspect your failure to achieve stable OCCT at 300 is unlikely to improve without a suitable Vcore mod ---> which by the way will have to be large enough to also compensate for the vcore "droop" levels of your particular mobo when under load?

My experience of 1.325v E4/E6 types in 4coredual mobos has indicated that stable 300MHz overclocking is much more assured when Vcore has been increased to around 1.4v ---> initially achieved by doing the vr-zone 1.4v "conductive paint" pin mod on the cpu. These days, to achieve better control of overclocking and cpu temp, I have a pot directly controling the Vcore regulator!

So, what Vcore level are you using for your overclocking and OCCT testing ?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
@jimmor
Probably just another blind alley, but i'm now starting to wonder if our different bios overclocking options could maybe be related to our mobos using different Clock Generators, and thus differing operating circuitry?

My clockgen chip isn't easily readable at the moment, however, when using "Setfsb" to overclock the fsb, the only clockgen type that works with my 4coredual-sata2 is "RTM866-485" !

Whats yours ?

Mine is "ICS953002DFLF"

Now all that is needed is to determine if a "ICS953002DFLF" clockgen chip is fitted to all 4coredual mobos that have same PCIE bios options as you ---> or of course, if all 4coredual users with "Auto", "CPU, PCIE Sync", "CPU, PCIE Async" bios options have a realtek "RTM866-485" type clockgen ?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
@jimmor
So, what Vcore level are you using for your overclocking and OCCT testing ?

The stock 1.325volts.

Yeah, it looks I need a vcore mod to 1.4v or 1.45v.

Bender999

Feb 15, 2008

Ahhhhhhh, another person with a "bios-overclocking->weird" version of 4coredual-sata2 mobo ! Since I have no experience at all on your particular version of the 4coredual-sata2 mobo, I have no way of knowing if your apparent poor PCIE Freq lock is real, fixable, or just a peculiarity to the "bios-overclocking->weird" mobo ? A free "trial" version of Everest Ultimate can be downloaded from the linked page below. http://www.lavalys.com/product...load.php?ps=UE&lang=en The PCIE Freq is shown under "Motherboard, Chipset" tabs ! EDIT, Just for interest, what CPU are you using ? Your current limit of 272ish could actually be because you need more Vcore to overclock your CPU higher thaan whatever a 272 fsb would cause ?

I tried the beta of Everest but didn't find any sign of what the pci-e bus was at. I looked under motherboard\chipset. I have an e2160 chip and my clockgen under SETFSB is ICS953002DFLF. According to SETFSB it is locked at 99.7 for PCI-E and for PCI 33.3.

I have done the volt mod for the chip. It's set to 1.4 but the bios says vcore is 1.354? Maybe the volt mod didn't work?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Bender999

Ahhhhhhh, another person with a "bios-overclocking->weird" version of 4coredual-sata2 mobo ! Since I have no experience at all on your particular version of the 4coredual-sata2 mobo, I have no way of knowing if your apparent poor PCIE Freq lock is real, fixable, or just a peculiarity to the "bios-overclocking->weird" mobo ? A free "trial" version of Everest Ultimate can be downloaded from the linked page below. http://www.lavalys.com/product...load.php?ps=UE&lang=en The PCIE Freq is shown under "Motherboard, Chipset" tabs ! EDIT, Just for interest, what CPU are you using ? Your current limit of 272ish could actually be because you need more Vcore to overclock your CPU higher thaan whatever a 272 fsb would cause ?

I tried the beta of Everest but didn't find any sign of what the pci-e bus was at. I looked under motherboard\chipset. I have an e2160 chip and my clockgen under SETFSB is ICS953002DFLF. According to SETFSB it is locked at 99.7 for PCI-E and for PCI 33.3.

I have done the volt mod for the chip. It's set to 1.4 but the bios says vcore is 1.354? Maybe the volt mod didn't work?

It is higher, so it probably worked. Its just that you got a big vdroop.

Bender999

Feb 15, 2008

It is higher, so it probably worked. Its just that you got a big vdroop.

Would a vcore increase get around that? Thanks for the help guys.

Nevermind about the pencil mod. I see that's for agp voltage, not for vdroop.

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Bender999

Is set Vcire to 1.55 but average is 1.488 (full load)and it change between 1.536 to 1.464

Bender999

Feb 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Microsystem

Is set Vcire to 1.55 but average is 1.488 (full load)and it change between 1.536 to 1.464

So, if I set it to 1.55 it shouldn't drop below 1.46? Is that what you mean? Thanks in advance.

dmarook

Sep 1, 2007
Well, got my GeCube 3870 overclocked edition at last. I had thought I could just install the latest catalyst drivers (8.2) from ATI but I had to install the ATI HDMI audio driver separately as well. But installing this card seems to have broken my Suspend to RAM function. The PC goes into suspend mode ok but when I try to wake it up although the fans start but the HDD and video does not seem to start. The actual 3D graphics function seems to be running well. I have tried STALKER and I am running it at 1680X1050 with all the bells and whistles on. looks stunning. However there are still some driver issues that ATI needs to sort out. specially in 2D.

I am sad about loosing my suspend to RAM function. As it had been playing a significant part in my day to day usage. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Peav

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: dmarook
Well, got my GeCube 3870 overclocked edition at last. I had thought I could just install the latest catalyst drivers (8.2) from ATI but I had to install the ATI HDMI audio driver separately as well. But installing this card seems to have broken my Suspend to RAM function. The PC goes into suspend mode ok but when I try to wake it up although the fans start but the HDD and video does not seem to start. The actual 3D graphics function seems to be running well. I have tried STALKER and I am running it at 1680X1050 with all the bells and whistles on. looks stunning. However there are still some driver issues that ATI needs to sort out. specially in 2D.

I am sad about loosing my suspend to RAM function. As it had been playing a significant part in my day to day usage. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Had the same issue with my hd3850 when i tested it in my sata2 board. It doesnt work on my vsta board with my x800gt aiw I use as an htpc.

Anyhoo different question. Sold my RMA'd SATA2 board and the lad I sold it too wants to stick in a cheapo cpu, as he has a celeron 478 system based on ddr1 with 6600le agp.

So does the e1200 and the e2160 chips work inthis board without issue ?

Sidenote, got all my kit rma'd back and now sitting at 3.6ghz on my new ip35-e mainboard. Big step up from the asrock. DDr2 at 1000.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

Yep. But the performance hit of the lesser 512mb cache on the e1200 is great, like 25% instead of like only about 5% e2xxx vs e4xxx.

So, tell him to spend the extra $10-$20 for the e2xxx series, its definately worth it.

The e2200 would be best, if he ever plans to overclock.

Cache performance is like system memory performance. If you dont have a certain minimal amount of it, performance suffers greatly. Once you have that certain minimal amount, adding more brings minimal returns. Intel crippled the e1200 way too much.

Peav

Nov 15, 2007

Yep. But the performance hit of the lesser 512mb cache on the e1200 is great, like 25% instead of like only about 5% e2xxx vs e4xxx.

So, tell him to spend the extra $10-$20 for the e2xxx series, its definately worth it.

Cache performance is like system memory performance. If you dont have a certain minimal amount of it, performance suffers greatly. Once you have that certain minimal amount, adding more brings minimal returns. Intel crippled the e1200 way too much.

Thanks for the info cpmee. I'll be sure to let hm know.

Peav

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

For people interested in serious multi-tasking and/or Gaming, a E1200 with a 512Kb cache would certainly be pointless. As would a E2xxx type be despite its larger 1Mb cache; unless of course it was overclocked to around 3GHz. Which in other words means, my recommendation would be that, as a minimum, serious users should really be aiming for the larger cache (2Mb and above) of for example E4xxx and E6xxx types.

And typically something with a high 10x multiplier, like a E4400, would be a very good starting point for 4coredual users ?

:)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
off the topic how can you route the hdmi audio cable on the mobo to a coaxil output?..

Its easy, Ive done it and it works fine.

Just get an ordinary RCA cable (surely you have some hanging around from any stereo or tv package) and a tiny 2 pin plug from any old case. Connect together. (Technically the center plug goes to the spdif pin and the outer casing plug goes to gnd, but it will work no matter the polarity)

The 2 pin plug then goes to the motherboard HDMI_SPDIF header, only using the spdif and gnd pins. Do not use the +5v pin.

The only downside I have is that it increases the RF interference to certain TV channels when its plugged in. Unplugging it stops the interference. I should get a heavier shielded RCA cable someday, but its not a priority. Also my TV is only 2 feet from my computer and it has an aluminum case, so if yours is further and a steel case, you should have no interference.

After everything is connected, then go into the Realtek HD Audio Manager > Audio I/O > Digital and set your SPDIF settings. Make sure your receiver is set to receive coaxial input.

arthurhill

Feb 21, 2008
Hello out there

I build up new system based upon ASrock 4coredual-sata2 mobo and DualCore E2200.
I have very fast PC4800 DDR memory so I was hopping to reach 3 Ghz without problems, but Nope.

Max FSB at 1:1 ratio are 256Mhz@2,81 Ghz, but not stability, after crushing through all settings what you guys posted here, I got
only 248 Mhz FSB with 1:1 ratio at 2.5-4-4-8.
I am using this tool for CPU and memory testing S&M 1.9.1.http://www.testmem.nm.ru/snm.zip

Is it good or bad ??? and Have you any suggestions how to get 3 Ghz with my system. Thanks for helpful advice

WDR

Feb 2, 2008
@arthurhill
Try first some loose timings, like 4-4-4-12 2T. Also check if flexibility on helps you.
And of course you can try that BSEL mod.

ojrules

Feb 12, 2008
@Cpmee .. i dont completely folow you... so you attach the cable to gnd and the middle one, and then attatch it to a phono cable.. how?... o also when u advised about my ram timings, you advised that the voltage was set to low.. surely i should set it to normal?..

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: arthurhill
Hello out there

I build up new system based upon ASrock 4coredual-sata2 mobo and DualCore E2200.
I have very fast PC4800 DDR memory so I was hopping to reach 3 Ghz without problems, but Nope.

Max FSB at 1:1 ratio are 256Mhz@2,81 Ghz, but not stability, after crushing through all settings what you guys posted here, I got
only 248 Mhz FSB with 1:1 ratio at 2.5-4-4-8.
I am using this tool for CPU and memory testing S&M 1.9.1.http://www.testmem.nm.ru/snm.zip

Is it good or bad ??? and Have you any suggestions how to get 3 Ghz with my system. Thanks for helpful advice

Yes, the bsel mod to make your 800fsb processor into a 1066fsb processor is the way to go higher. Its easy to do.
For 3ghz, you may also need a volt mod, but do the bsel mod first.
I think that with the bsel mod and a small volt mod, you should be able to do 280X11 = 3.08ghz OCCT stable no problem. To get even higher than that, a vagp mod will then needed. Of course with ddr1, it wont be at 1:1, but at 4:3 which is still OK, and doesnt hamper overall performance all that much.

248mhz fsb at 1:1 ratio with ddr1 is actually very good. Most of the time the limit is around 240mhz, then it goes to a 4:3 ratio.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
@Cpmee .. i dont completely folow you... so you attach the cable to gnd and the middle one, and then attatch it to a phono cable.. how?... o also when u advised about my ram timings, you advised that the voltage was set to low.. surely i should set it to normal?..

Yes, the RCA phono cable is what you attach to your HT receiver. The outside of that cable , the sheilded braid, is the ground wire. And then you have a center wire to that plug.
Connect those 2 wires to the 2 pin plug. Like I said before, it will work no matter the polarity, but its better if ground goes to ground.
On the motherboard side, look in the manual for the placement of the pins on the HDMI_SPDIF header. Just DONT use that 5volt pin.

Soldering the wires together is best, but just twisting them together is fine too as long as you dont pull on it hard. Use electrical tape to insulate the wires.

Yes, if memtest86 doesnt pass, up the dimm voltage to normal and test again.

Feb 23, 2008
Hi all, I've been following this great forum / thread for a while. Anyway I just became a member and I?m having some problems.

I did the cpu volt + bsel mod (e4500) and at 300fsb I?m stable, all except for the blend test that fails after 4-5 hours. The cpu test runs all night and passes.

I run memtest86 all night with stock fsb and it passed. I then run it with 300fsb and it fails on test #7.

I'm at vagp 1.72 + vtt 1.52 atm.

My ddr2 is rated for higher speeds than 300.

I've tried heaps of bios settings you guys recommend but the blend test still fails. I'm going to run memtest tonight again after the board mods and see if it?s still the same test that fails.

Anyway I don't know what else to do.

Before the board mods I was stable at about 285.

I've been testing for the last 5 days and I just don't know what else to try.
The temp is fine for everything.
More vagp? More vtt? (I think I?m already pushing the vtt )

What do you guys think it could be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want an extreme oc, I?ll be happy with 300.

Thanks in advance :)