Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
@ojrules

Nope, not really, but it will give you more memory bandwidth at any speed.

The bsel mod is the way to go.

If IIRC, when I first got the board and just playing with it before the bsel mod, I could get it to boot to 2.8ghz, inconsistantly and with terrible memory divider ratios, just by loading optimized defaults and having Flexiblity Option enabled.

But thats no way to live with a mobo.:laugh:

Alex0915

Jan 21, 2008
Thanks for all your help guys...ive gotten my cpu fsb up to 355 pretty stably (Q6600) and have the memory running at 667 as well. I was wondering about the new revision of the board; what changes are there if any and when did this new revision first come out? Thanks for all the help!

Reyals

Sep 30, 2007
Just upgraded from X850XT AGP To MSI NX8800GTS 320M OC GeForce 8800GTS. Lost 2.9 OC Stability. Settings:
CPU:
CPU Freq.-263
PCIE-Auto
AGP-Sync. with CPU
Spread Spectrum-Disable
Boot Failure-Enabled
CPU Thermal Thr.-Enabled

Chipset

DRAM Freq-266
Flexibility-Enabled
RAM Specs-Default
DRAM Volts-High
AGP Volts-High
Pri Gra Adapt-AGP (Switched to PCIe)
AGP Fastwrite-Enabled
AGP Aperature-128
V-Link-Fast
PCI delay Trans-Enabled
IDE Drive Strength-Ultra High
PCIe Downstream- Auto

So what do you suggest I do. Would really like to achieve 3.0g +/- .01g

Sys. specs:
E4500 cpu
Asrock 4Core Dual SATA2
8800 GTS 320M (Factory OC to 575)
PNY DDRII 667 2 1gb Sticks (D22GX53OPT)
NEW PSU- MSI TurboStream MS-4500-020 ATX12V V2.2 500W(with sexy LED I might add)
Standard IDE Maxtor 200gb HD

Just a side note. By changing VGA I Doubled my 3dMark05 score on this s/u from 6800 to 14114! Amazing!

Also would like to stay away from altering Proc. physically ie. BSEL Mod as my next step is saving for a tasty Mobo to take advantage of my VGA move. But that is a little while away.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Reyals
Just upgraded from X850XT AGP To MSI NX8800GTS 320M OC GeForce 8800GTS. Lost 2.9 OC Stability.
Sys. specs:
E4500 cpu
Asrock 4Core Dual SATA2
8800 GTS 320M (Factory OC to 575)
PNY DDRII 667 2 1gb Sticks (D22GX53OPT)
NEW PSU- MSI TurboStream MS-4500-020 ATX12V V2.2 500W(with sexy LED I might add)
Standard IDE Maxtor 200gb HD

Just a side note. By changing VGA I Doubled my 3dMark05 score on this s/u from 6800 to 14114! Amazing!

Also would like to stay away from altering Proc. physically ie. BSEL Mod as my next step is saving for a tasty Mobo to take advantage of my VGA move. But that is a little while away.

Most likely that new psu isnt cutting it. It only has 15A on one 12v rail and 16A on the other. It will only get worse over time. I would return it if possible and get something beefier for that 8800GTS.

That Corsair 550watt psu at Newegg with 41A on one 12V rail for $80 would be a good option.

JinxterX

Feb 8, 2008
Originally posted by: jimmor

Asrock Tech emailed me "MACtool" software to rewrite MAC-address on a 4CoreDual . You can download it from here,

http://members.optushome.com.au/zyclops1/mactool.zip

Then easy to do:-

STEP1: Find your particular mobo's MAC-address (will look similar but NOT same as, 000B6A76723E) on rear parallel port panel and write it down.

STEP2: Unzip MACtool software to a DOS bootable Floppy diskette.

STEP3: Boot into pure DOS environment, ie nothing loaded but DOS.

SETP4 At MACtool folder on floppy disc, and using the "mac-address" previously noted at STEP 1, Enter ?MAC c mac-address". A success message should be displayed after updating the mobo's MAC address.

STEP5: Reboot computer.

;)

Thankyou VERY much for posting the MACtool, it fixed the networking on my 4CoreDual-VSTA :) ASRock support didn't even bother replying to me..

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Alex0915
hey I have that psu, its wonderfully stable! I have a q6600/ msi 8800gts 640mb oc (112sp)/ 4 tornado fans, and Corsair VX550W PSU. I just got the msi video card and I was wondering how good of a rep does msi have? Are they as good as evgas sc version? Here is the card I have got:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814127321

Yeah, I like the high single rail (41A) on that Corsair psu, plus the 5 year warranty. Im thinking of getting it for another system. How heavy is it ?

MSI used to have a good reputation, much better than evgas. Ive used a few of their mobos in the past, and theyre still running after 5 years. But that particular psu model they have, its only good for low end systems. They used to have a 2 year warranty on their mobos and vga cards. Its disappointing to see only the 1 year warranty on yours. I hope they are not like some other other companies that cheapen their products trading on their good name. Im also thinking about their 8800gt.

Bender999

Feb 15, 2008
It would seem that Sandra reports my PCI-E bus as being overclocked(to 105mhz) even thought I have it set 100 in the bios. When I overclock I have been getting atidag bluescreen errors. I notice when I don't overclock the PCI-E and PCI bus is reported as being at their normal frequency in Sandra. So, could this be why I can't overclock on this mb? I know some PCI-E vid cards are flaky about having the PCI-E bus overclocked slightly.

Alex0915

Jan 21, 2008
Youd like the Corsair, its very light, doesnt create much noise at all, and the cords are all sleeved and it looks great in my raidmax scorpio windowed case. It has two pcie power ports for extra power as well. I hope this msi card lasts a long time... it doesnt overheat at all, Ive played crysis on it for hours and it hasnt even gotten to 70C! It might help that I have a pci slot fan under it and managed to squeeze the audigy 2 zs into the bottom slot, right next to the floppy connector.

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: JinxterX

Asrock Tech emailed me "MACtool" software to rewrite MAC-address on a 4CoreDual . You can download it from here,

http://members.optushome.com.au/zyclops1/mactool.zip

Then easy to do:-

STEP1: Find your particular mobo's MAC-address (will look similar but NOT same as, 000B6A76723E) on rear parallel port panel and write it down.

STEP2: Unzip MACtool software to a DOS bootable Floppy diskette.

STEP3: Boot into pure DOS environment, ie nothing loaded but DOS.

SETP4 At MACtool folder on floppy disc, and using the "mac-address" previously noted at STEP 1, Enter ?MAC c mac-address". A success message should be displayed after updating the mobo's MAC address.

STEP5: Reboot computer.

;)

Thankyou VERY much for posting the MACtool, it fixed the networking on my 4CoreDual-VSTA :) ASRock support didn't even bother replying to me..

Welcome to the Anandtech forum !

Had similar MAC address fault to yourself a long time ago afer flashing a newly aquired 4coredual-vsta with a bios upgrade. Complained bitterly to Asrock Tech that they had to help fix the problem or mobo was going straight back to supplier. However also explained that if this "fault" could be expected to happen with a 4coredual mobo, then maybe I would be contacting again if a RMA,d replacement suffered from same issue? Without formally admitting that any "design flaw" existed, they supplied me with the MACtool software to resolve existing problem; and any similar problems I may have with future purchases of 4coredual mobos ?

So i'm obviously glad to help others blighted by the infamous "MAC Address" issue that Asrock don't wish to talk much about !

:)

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Bender999
It would seem that Sandra reports my PCI-E bus as being overclocked(to 105mhz) even thought I have it set 100 in the bios. When I overclock I have been getting atidag bluescreen errors. I notice when I don't overclock the PCI-E and PCI bus is reported as being at their normal frequency in Sandra. So, could this be why I can't overclock on this mb? I know some PCI-E vid cards are flaky about having the PCI-E bus overclocked slightly.

My experience is that high, stable, overclocking is more assured when using a AGP Graphics card; and even better when PCIE Freq is also overclocked!

On the other hand, when using a PCIE graphics card, the PCIE bus must be fixed at it's norm of 100MHz ---> in other words, the mobo bios's Overclocking Mode MUST be selected to "CPU, PCIE Async" ---> Or, where you don't have a "CPU, PCIE Async" mode, select whatever option your particular mobo's bios has for forcing the PCIE Freq to be fixed at 100MHz ?

EDIT,

And just for interest have you tried using "Everest Ultimate" yet, and does it also show your PCIE bus always being overclocked ?

Peav

Nov 15, 2007
Welcome to the Anantech forum !

Had similar MAC address fault to yourself a long time ago afer flashing a newly aquired 4coredual-vsta with a bios upgrade. Complained bitterly to Asrock Tech that they had to help fix the problem or mobo was going straight back to supplier. However also explained that if this "fault" could be expected to happen with a 4coredual mobo, then maybe I would be contacting again if a RMA,d replacement suffered from same issue? Without formally admitting that any "design flaw" existed, they supplied me with the MACtool software to resolve existing problem; and any similar problems I may have with future purchases of 4coredual mobos ?

So, obviously glad to help others blighted by the infamous "MAC Address" issue that Asrock don't wish to talk much about !

I have had this issue with my vsta board aswell. Had to get the MACTool from asrock so i think its a bit more widespread than they care to admit.

Bender999

Feb 15, 2008
My experience is that high, stable, overclocking is more assured when using a AGP Graphics card; and even better when PCIE Freq is also overclocked! On the other hand, when using a PCIE graphics card, the PCIE bus must be fixed at it's norm of 100MHz ---> in other words, the mobo bios's Overclocking Mode MUST be selected to "CPU, PCIE Async" ---> Or, where you don't have a "CPU, PCIE Async" mode, select whatever option your particular mobo's bios has for forcing the PCIE Freq to be fixed at 100MHz ?

EDIT, And just for interest have you tried using "Everest Ultimate" yet, and does it also show your PCIE bus always being overclocked ?

Thanks for responding. I'm one of the ones who has only three settings in the bios: synch with cpu, auto, and 100 mhz. I've left it at 100mhz and can only get to 270-272 before I start getting ati2dvag bluescreen errors. I've done bsel mod by the way. Before the mod I could only get to 260 stable so the mod really didn't help much.

Is there a freeware version of Everest that would display the info?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
My experience is that high, stable, overclocking is more assured when using a AGP Graphics card; and even better when PCIE Freq is also overclocked! On the other hand, when using a PCIE graphics card, the PCIE bus must be fixed at it's norm of 100MHz ---> in other words, the mobo bios's Overclocking Mode MUST be selected to "CPU, PCIE Async" ---> Or, where you don't have a "CPU, PCIE Async" mode, select whatever option your particular mobo's bios has for forcing the PCIE Freq to be fixed at 100MHz ?

EDIT, And just for interest have you tried using "Everest Ultimate" yet, and does it also show your PCIE bus always being overclocked ?

Thanks for responding. I'm one of the ones who has only three settings in the bios: synch with cpu, auto, and 100 mhz. I've left it at 100mhz and can only get to 270-272 before I start getting ati2dvag bluescreen errors. I've done bsel mod by the way. Before the mod I could only get to 260 stable so the mod really didn't help much.

Is there a freeware version of Everest that would display the info?

Ahhhhhhh, another person with a "bios-overclocking->weird" version of 4coredual-sata2 mobo !

Since I have no experience at all on your particular version of the 4coredual-sata2 mobo, I have no way of knowing if your apparent poor PCIE Freq lock is real, fixable, or just a peculiarity to the "bios-overclocking->weird" mobo ?

A free "trial" version of Everest Ultimate can be downloaded from the linked page below.

http://www.lavalys.com/product...load.php?ps=UE&lang=en

The PCIE Freq is shown under "Motherboard, Chipset" tabs !

EDIT,

Just for interest, what CPU are you using ?

Your current limit of 272ish could actually be because you need more Vcore to overclock your CPU higher thaan whatever a 272 fsb would cause ?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: cpmee
@jimmor

I purchased the board the 1st of November from Newegg, so the R2 wasnt out yet and I do have the good audio codec the alc888.

Yep, this is exactly what my bios shows :

CPU Host Frequency [Manual]
Actual Frequency (MHz) [280]
PCIE Clock [100 MHz]
AGP/PCI Clock [66/33 MHz]
Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
Boot Failure Guard [Enabled]

Ratio Acutal Value 10

Max CPUID Value Limit [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protection [Disabled]

WDR above also shows the same pcie options. I think it has to do with never having bios version 1.10 on my board. Will test that theory later.

OK, I got around to flashing the bios to 1.10. No change, it still only gives me the options of "Auto", "Sync with CPU", "100MHz", so my theory didnt pan out.

I then flashed to 1.80a, and still no change. So I dont know why the PCIE options are different on the same revision boards.:confused:

Ok, looking at it from another direction: I used AMIBCP (AMI Bios configuration Program) to look at bios's structure and as expected found your "CPU Host Freq","Actual Freq","PCIE Clock","AGP/PCI Clock" options as awell as my "Overclock Mode","CPU Freq","PCIE Freq", "PCI Freq", options.

Maybe it just depends on which CPU is used ---> I have only ever used E4xxx and E6xxx C2D's ?

Or maybe easirer than that ---> Many of the bios options are "SUPERVISOR ONLY" operated and will therefore only work when you create seperate User/Supervisor" bios passwords ---> which I always do ----> How about you ?

OK, I changed the User/Supervisor passwords. I still get the same three options. Like you, I also flash the bios from DOS. Puzzling.

I just tried playing around with lots of different bios settings, and flashed a few different bioses (older and newer), but still seem to be stuck with Overclock Modes of "Auto", "CPU, PCIE, Async" and "CPU, PCIE, Sync".

My mobo's BIOS Chip has "4COREDUAL-SATA2 P1.10-10B" printed on it, whats on yours ?

And as I previously posted, maybe the bios's "overclocking" options are determined by the type of CPU used ---> I only have experience with E4xxx and E6xxx C2D types ?

So is there someone out there using a 4coredual-sata2 with a E4xxx or E6xxx that doesn't have the three bios "Overclock Mode" options of "Auto","CPU, PCIE Sync", "CPU, PCIE Async" ??

My mobo's bios chip has "4COREDUAL-SATA2 P1.50-12B" printed on it. Maybe the structure of the chip is different. Bios 1.30 had this note to it:
"Support Winbond W39V040FCP FWH flash part".

I just downloaded AFUWIN v4.33 and the info part says I have a Winbond W39V040A/BP FWH chip with a core version of 08.00.12 . What do you have ?

It think it would be extra work and trouble for Asrock to make different pcie options for different cpus, so I dont think thats it.

AFUWIN shows "SST 49LF004B FWH, Core 08.00.12" for my bios setup.

However I don't believe the differencies in bios selections has anything to do with the "hardware" that stores the bios image? So it must simply be related to the differencies in our mobo hardware, eg, I have only ever used E4xxx or E6xxx and you haven't ?

And which of course was the purpose of my plea to find someone with a E4xxx or E6xxx that doesn't have the three "Auto", "CPU PCIE, Async" and "CPU PCIE Sync" Overclock Mode options ?

My gut feeling is that it is the bios chip structure, but since of course I dont know for sure, I will repeat the plea.

<<<Anyone with an E4xxxx or E6xxx cpu, what are your PCIE options in bios CPU Configuration. Is it "Auto" "Sync with CPU" "100MHz" or other options ???

Actually, jimmor, this is a statiscally unfair question. The E4xxx and E6xxx came out before the E2XXX cpus did. Therefore, buyers of the first 4CoreDual-Sata2 mobos would be skewed towards the E4XXX and E6XXX.

Probably just another blind alley, but i'm now starting to wonder if our different bios overclocking options could maybe be related to our mobos using different Clock Generators, and thus differing operating circuitry?

My clockgen chip isn't easily readable at the moment, however, when using "Setfsb" to overclock the fsb, the only clockgen type that works with my 4coredual-sata2 is "RTM866-485" !

Whats yours ?

ojrules

Feb 12, 2008
Originally posted by: ojrules
Ok, i'l keep the besl mod in mind.....

I do have the second stick of ram, but after failing to second boot with 2 sticks in i reverted to 1 stick (however i didn't get to fiddle around with settings)...

heres my ram
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/...701&catid=8&subcat=144

Yeah, very few can get 2 - 2gigs sticks to work. When they do, its never at full capacity anyway. But the board is only spec'd for 2gb total.

The best thing to do is to maximize your memory bandwidth.

Since your ram is pretty good, and others run it even at 900mhz, try these settings and benchmark.

Chipset Configuration
==================================================
DRAM Frequency [333MHz (DDRII667) ]
Flexibility Option [Disabled]
DRAM CAS# Latency [4]
DRAM Bank Interleave [4-Way]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [4T]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [12T]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [4T]
REF to ACT/REF to REF (Trfc) [28T]
ACT (0) to ACT (1) (Trrd) [2T]
Read to Precharge (Trtp) [3T]
Write to Read CMD (Twtr) [2T]
Write Recovery Time (Twr) [4T]
DRAM Bus Selection [Auto]
DRAM Command Rate [2T Command]
> Advanced Memory Configuration [Untouched]
> Advanced Host Configuration [Untouched] Except for Pipeline DRQCTL Enabled

DRAM Voltage [Low]
AGP Voltage [High]

Will this enable me to raise cpu frequency aswell?..

Hey i've tired the settings with no sucess.... It just cold booted... Then i tied 533(?)(the middle one), with all other settings set to default , with no sucess... I then booted it with a previous stable clock of 2.40, but it crashed in windows.. I then ran it all at default (2.0ghz) and it crashed twice more in windows (howver the report claims it was antivirus software) and on the third boot it is working.. ugh how i hate computers... so what would you suggest now.?.. i just want to be able to run about 2.4, with half decent memory bandwidth..

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
@jimmor
Probably just another blind alley, but i'm now starting to wonder if our different bios overclocking options could maybe be related to our mobos using different Clock Generators, and thus differing operating circuitry?

My clockgen chip isn't easily readable at the moment, however, when using "Setfsb" to overclock the fsb, the only clockgen type that works with my 4coredual-sata2 is "RTM866-485" !

Whats yours ?

Mine is "ICS953002DFLF"

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
@jimmor

Whats yours ?

Mine is "ICS953002DFLF"

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Ok, i'l keep the besl mod in mind.....

I do have the second stick of ram, but after failing to second boot with 2 sticks in i reverted to 1 stick (however i didn't get to fiddle around with settings)...

heres my ram
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/...701&catid=8&subcat=144

Yeah, very few can get 2 - 2gigs sticks to work. When they do, its never at full capacity anyway. But the board is only spec'd for 2gb total.

The best thing to do is to maximize your memory bandwidth.

Since your ram is pretty good, and others run it even at 900mhz, try these settings and benchmark.

Chipset Configuration
==================================================
DRAM Frequency [333MHz (DDRII667) ]
Flexibility Option [Disabled]
DRAM CAS# Latency [4]
DRAM Bank Interleave [4-Way]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [4T]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [12T]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [4T]
REF to ACT/REF to REF (Trfc) [28T]
ACT (0) to ACT (1) (Trrd) [2T]
Read to Precharge (Trtp) [3T]
Write to Read CMD (Twtr) [2T]
Write Recovery Time (Twr) [4T]
DRAM Bus Selection [Auto]
DRAM Command Rate [2T Command]
> Advanced Memory Configuration [Untouched]
> Advanced Host Configuration [Untouched] Except for Pipeline DRQCTL Enabled

DRAM Voltage [Low]
AGP Voltage [High]

Will this enable me to raise cpu frequency aswell?..

Hey i've tired the settings with no sucess.... It just cold booted... Then i tied 533(?)(the middle one), with all other settings set to default , with no sucess... I then booted it with a previous stable clock of 2.40, but it crashed in windows.. I then ran it all at default (2.0ghz) and it crashed twice more in windows (howver the report claims it was antivirus software) and on the third boot it is working.. ugh how i hate computers... so what would you suggest now.?.. i just want to be able to run about 2.4, with half decent memory bandwidth..

So your saying you cant run stable by loading optimized defaults and running at default speeds ? The first thing I would do is run memtest86 for a few hours to test the memory.
Also what psu are you using and what are the voltages showing in bios pc health ?

ojrules

Feb 12, 2008
erm, no running at default stuff is working,.. just some initial teething problems... its that once at 2.4ghz i cant get stable decent mem speeds (other than auto).. meaning for instance in crysis it actualy plays slower, than before with my p4.... mypsu is fine; an enermax beast 620w, could run a town off the thing... o and should i enable that no-execute mem thing?..

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

I wouldnt trust the Sandra reading. Setfsb 2.0.b.19o says "PCI-E/PCI Frequency 99.6/33.3"

fritzfield

Mar 4, 2003
O.K. My youngest daughter goes off to college in the fall. I've been runnin' this e6600@ 300 FSB on this ASROCK Mobo since last March w/ 0 probs. My plan is to make her a computer w/ my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, Vista Premium (OEM) 64bit, a 320GB SATA HD, yada, yada w/ the other parts. Since this is happening in JULY/AUGUST time-frame, do youse guys think that there will be an Intel PRICE DROP on the 8400 series, AND, what mobo will be a good choice for a non-gamer who wants to OC just to see what EXTRA the chip can deliver under STOCK cooling? Interesting ? n'est-ce pas?

O.K. She'll never OC and will want a stable set-up for 4 years. I think I've got it. Wadaya youse guys think?

I think that this board will squeeze another 4 years of life from her AGP card, memory, and board. it will be run at STOCK and should be just as predictable as an off the shelf HP, Dell. or Gateway iteration.

Whadday think for an AVERAGE, college student, instead of paying $800 for an off the shelf system? Especially since I have 8GB DDR-800 RAM and am ready to go to update MY SYS.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Microsystem

.......I measure VAGP with a digital multi meter
Default: Normal 1.61V and High:1.62V (this wonder me too)

Your bios default "Normal/High" measured values for Vagp seem a bit odd to me ---> hardly worth having two different bios settings ?

My experience of measuring Vagp on 4coredual-vsta and 4coredual-sata mobos is that it was 1.59 and 1.64 volts for same bios settings.

OK, I got around to measuring my vagp, per the vr-forums diagram.

I got Normal = 1.597 volts
Auto = 1.605 volts
High = 1.605 volts

Since my meter also has a temperature probe, I measured temps along with the voltages.
With an old pci card in, the agp mosfet has a temp of 55C at all voltages. Interestingly, without any video card in, the temp is 34C. Ambient was 22C in all cases.

55C before the vagp mod is pretty high, and given the tiny space available for a sink, I dont think a sink does much jimmor. I think some sort of an air hose blowing on the mosfet is what is needed.

So also pointless having more that one Vagp setting with your particular mobo ---> what have asrock been doing to some of their 4coredual-sata2 mobos ---> weird "new" not so good bios cpu overclocking settings, and now weird bios Vagp settings ?

However, it probably now makes a bit more sense as to why lots of 4coredual users appeared to have weird issues trying to achieve high overclocks ---> a problem which my "version" of 4coredual has never suffered from ?

Yes, the Vagp MOSFET can run into mid 50's (and not much higher, even with 2v vagp ---> it runs from 3.3v supply, and higher Vagp means less volts accross Mosfet) ---> And yes, I have fitted a small "tall" heatsink onto it, and it does help ---> mind you it probably also benefits from the fact that I have a fan fitted inside my case whose job is simply to circulate cool air around ?

The Northbridge heatsink also gets hotter, which is why I fitted a 40x40mm fan.

And just for interest, a main reason that Asrock removed the "EIST/Speedstep" options from the bios was because asrock tech determined that some early Northbridges had overheated and failed because of being deprived of cpu heatsink cooling air when EIST/Speedstep had stepped the fan down to low speeds ? Obviously decided disabling the speedstep functions was easier and much cheaper than fitting a fan onto the northbridge heatsink ?

OK, I did the vagp mod. I penciled the R2471 resistor from a value of 1.889Kohms to a
value of 1.779Kohms. My vagp then went to 1.705 volts from a value of 1.605 volts.
That mosfet also increased in temp from 55C to 59C. The northbridge heatsink may have
increased in temp, but only slightly. After the mod, the temp was only 32C, measured
at the center of the northbridge sink, 22C ambient. I didnt measure it before the mod, but it was fairly cold. Also when I first got the board, one of the first things I did was to remove the northbridge sink and wipe off the Asrock thermal paste to write down the numbers on the chip. I then reapplied AS Ceramique on the chip, so that helps with my nb cooling.

I got 285fsb, OCCT stable, up from 280fsb OCCT stable.

In my case, I cant put in a tall mosfet heatsink. Because of the heatsink on my vga
card, my total area I have to work with is about 1cm long X 1cm wide x 1.5cm high.

Besides my air hose idea, the other idea I have is to get a piece of copper sheet,cut
it to the proper size, fold it up like an accordian, and attach it to vga heatsink.
The spring action would then keep it against the mosfet, and it would benefit from the huge area of the vga heatsink.

Even although my mobos original Vagp of 1.64v allowed an overclock stable to 290-300ish, it took a change to around 1.85 to be stable at 305-310ish and 2v for 320's ?

And certainly something strange about our different mobos since your northbridge was apparently "fairly cold" at original 1.6v and now only 32C at 1.7v ---> from my experience, both seem a bit low ---> so be interesting to see how high your temp goes with Vagp at 1.8-2V levels ?

Even with a 40mm fan fitted to my Northbridge, it easily breaks 40C+ !

The single slot heatsink on my 7800GS agp card does not interfere with the small heatsink I fixed (used arctic thermal adhesive) to Vagp mosfet. And although the mosfet heatsink is "hot" to touch, it's not that hot that I can't hold my finger on it so not "overheating" in my opinion ?

Your copper "accordian" heat link sounds a most interesting idea ?

Update: I penciled down to 1.667K ohms, giving a vagp voltage of 1.808 volts. It only gave me 287fsb up from 285fsb OCCT stable. (I can boot into windows and run super-pi at 300fsb, but its not OCCT stable).

Maybe a vcore mod is needed, or maybe my board just is a dog as far as the fsb wall goes.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: fritzfield
O.K. My youngest daughter goes off to college in the fall. I've been runnin' this e6600@ 300 FSB on this ASROCK Mobo since last March w/ 0 probs. My plan is to make her a computer w/ my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, Vista Premium (OEM) 64bit, a 320GB SATA HD, yada, yada w/ the other parts. Since this is happening in JULY/AUGUST time-frame, do youse guys think that there will be an Intel PRICE DROP on the 8400 series, AND, what mobo will be a good choice for a non-gamer who wants to OC just to see what EXTRA the chip can deliver under STOCK cooling? Interesting ? n'est-ce pas?

O.K. She'll never OC and will want a stable set-up for 4 years. I think I've got it. Wadaya youse guys think?

NOOOOOOOO. :brokenheart:

Putting a e8400 chip on this board would be a horrible waste. The e8400 chips are 1333fsb parts. They have 8X and 9X multipliers presently. So youre talking a top speed of 8 X 300 = 2.4ghz or 9 X 300 = 2.7ghz.

A better option would be to get her a e2200 with the 11X multiplier. (Why would she need the extra cache anyway ?) Then with the savings, you could get an Abit IP35-E and overclock the heck out of your e6600.