Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ayumu

Dec 30, 2007
(2x1GB DDR2-667 and a E2160 (FSB200, 9x); heatsink is asus v60 and gfx is geforce 7800gs AGP)

Originally posted by: brokencase
ayumu, I also plan to run linux on this board. I did read that there were some compatability issues with the VIA chip set. Something about the SATA not seen correctly.

Did you run into any problems? Were you able to get the on board audio to work?
So far, as we know, the point of this board is that it supports SATA 3Gb/s transfer mode (hence the name). The Seagate I got (ST3500320AS) had a jumper preset in to force compat. mode (and get just 1.5Gb) instead of autonegotiation, but removing it does not help; it runs in the slow mode. This is the relevant part of dmesg, the kernel is 2.6.24-rc6:

[ 24.044152] sata_via 0000:00:0f.0: version 2.3
[ 24.044175] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0f.0(B) -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
[ 24.044332] sata_via 0000:00:0f.0: routed to hard irq line 5
[ 24.044462] scsi0 : sata_via
[ 24.044573] scsi1 : sata_via
[ 24.045903] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xdc00 ctl 0xd880 bmdma 0xd400 irq 21
[ 24.045973] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xd800 ctl 0xd480 bmdma 0xd408 irq 21
[ 24.246084] ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
[ 24.266993] Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 1
[ 24.267044] Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 0
[ 24.399420] ata1.00: ATA-7: ST3500320AS, SD04, max UDMA/133
[ 24.399487] ata1.00: 976773168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
[ 24.405403] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
[ 24.605488] ata2: SATA link down 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
[ 24.616371] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA ST3500320AS SD04 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 24.616537] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
[ 24.616612] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 24.616678] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 24.616690] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 24.616808] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
[ 24.616882] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 24.616948] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 24.616959] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 24.617038] sda: sda1 sda2
[ 24.622692] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
About the onboard audio; yes, it does work (alsa, pci, intel hda), but without hardware mixing (as with most integrated audio chipsets) and without controls for bass/tremble. Luckily, I have my trusty emu10k1 (sblive!, pci) from ages ago, which works like a charm on Linux, with hardware mixing and bass/tremble.

On the other front (overclocking), by enabling the ram tolerance mode or whatever it's called, I've managed to push it to a maximum of 266 (which is a 33% overclock already; I'm quite satisfied) in a stable way (compiled some reasonably big stuff without problems).

I've done tests where I got the motherboard _crazy_, at >=273 or so it would somehow change its clocks math, making the cpu run at 1.80. Worst of it was that lowering it or setting it to auto would not fix a thing (getting 1.5GHz?!), and also it would show "175" when in auto mode instead of "200". I believe it's the same problem somebody talked about already a page or two ago. Do newer BIOSes fix it? Again, I'm still with 1.5, and will be until I install some version of Windows (I'm lazy, but I'll prolly go for XP Pro 64). To get things back into sanity, I had to try again pushing things really hard (300) and it somehow sometimes reverted back to sanity the confortable way (math is right again all of a sudden) or the CMOS was corrupted and I had to re-setup everything (still better than having to open the case and placing the jumper... there are a lot of cables which make that a hell).

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Tedtalker1
Originally posted by: cpmee
Originally posted by: ayumu

Most use rear defogger paint or a circuit writer pen to do the mod, but I used the folder aluminum duct tape method found here :
http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=98439&page=1

CPMEE does the adhesive side of the tape face down towards the cpu socket or is it supposed to stick to the pins on the cpu?

The picture is blurry but except for the folds, it looks like the sticky side is stuck on the cpu pins.Just trying to clarify.

Nope, the adhesive side is non-conductive as measured with a VOM. What you do is fold the adhesive ends of the legs of the U back on themselves making a shorter U or C, and that way both sides of the U legs are conductive. The bottom of the U is left alone and that sticks to the edge and side of the cpu, not on any pins. The tools youll need are sharp xacto knives or razor blades, a piece of clean plastic or glass for cutting on, and tweasers so you dont touch the adhesive part. And of course a magnifying glass. It took me a couple of tries to get the size right, but you quickly become good at doing it with practice. Ive done similar mods with rear defogger paint, and I would say this aluminum tape method is just as easy and cheaper.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Superleeds27
Has anyone experienced Issues with this board or drivers, which make XP or Vista to freeze du to the Network Card in their PC?

Only just started since i oput my new Gfx Card , and sata HDD, so dunno if the drivers dont like one of them.

But network card would crash randomly, XP or vista would freeze, could only restart by holding power sswwitch.

Have removed it and using USB for now, and its fine, although my signal strength is crap!

Anyone else had this problem or no a solution to fix it?

P.S Ive got a netgear WPN311 PCI card

I havent used one on this board, but a network card causing system freezes is very common on almost any motherboard. Try another card that uses a different chipset.

Actually, come to think of it, I had a netgear 311 pci card that could be used on very few systems too.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
If any of you guys do use a PCI Network Card, for Wireless Internet...

Could you please let me know which one it is.. AS i would love onwe which works, as USB is crap really

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Microsystem
I don't saw any advantage in BSEL mod on E4500
But by increasing Vcore to 1.51 by volt mod I could increase frequency to 3000 Stabel
http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles...tage_Boost/3904-3.html
By default only could set fbs to 230(2530Mhz)

It sounds like you need to redo your bsel mod. It should be booting up at 11 X 266 = 2933mhz (or not booting at all) if done properly. The bsel mod changes the cpu from a default 200 fsb one to a 266 fsb cpu. At 2933mhz, you may need a little more than the default vcore.

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
But by increasing Vcore to 1.51 by volt mod I could increase frequency to 3000 Stabel

It sounds like you need to redo your bsel mod. It should be booting up at 11 X 266 = 2933mhz (or not booting at all) if done properly. The bsel mod changes the cpu from a default 200 fsb one to a 266 fsb cpu. At 2933mhz, you may need a little more than the default vcore.

System cannot boot with BSEL mod at FBS 266, But recognize it at 266 not 200.
This show BSEL mode done but with no advantage?!

By increasing Vcore to 1.51 I ran ORTHOS about 11H stable at FBS 270(setting memory to DDR266( a little decreasing in Vcore make it unstable

I try to set memory speed at DDR333 (My Default Rams Speed) but ORTOS gave error even in FBS 260

Now I have a question?
Why the difference between Cpu temperature (about 53 C) and Core temperature (about 69 C) is high at full load?

Which should be less than 60 C? Cpu temperature or Core temperature

HellYeah

Jan 1, 2008
Originally posted by: cammell
Reasuming
Am still planning to buy this mobo - cheapest upgrade from XP3200 since no need for memory/graphic card repleace.
Correct me please if i got things wrong. This mobo will go round 300MHz FSB easly with simple processor mod (plan E2140)
Also, wont have problems with AGP card (Palit 7300) and ddr memory (2x512 400MHz)
Am I correct ? Also, thanks for really useful posts, rised my knowledge about this MOBO.
Greetz
Pawel

Where are you buying that palit card from?

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Is it just me who has crap experience of this board?

Random crashes? Random Freezing?

Driver programs continuousley telling me to download the 4 IN 1 Package for The chipset.

The chipset that can only just handle c2d, if im correct¬!

Can someone please reassure me, because i most be doing something wrong clearly!

xfezz

Dec 13, 2007
Quick question. Whats the max RPM on Intels Stock cooler when it runs at 100%? I disabled Smart fan in the bios and it says the fan is running at 1700rpm.

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

System cannot boot with BSEL mod at FBS 266, But recognize it at 266 not 200.
This show BSEL mode done but with no advantage?!

By increasing Vcore to 1.51 I ran ORTHOS about 11H stable at FBS 270(setting memory to DDR266( a little decreasing in Vcore make it unstable

I try to set memory speed at DDR333 (My Default Rams Speed) but ORTOS gave error even in FBS 260

Now I have a question?
Why the difference between Cpu temperature (about 53 C) and Core temperature (about 69 C) is high at full load?

Which should be less than 60 C? Cpu temperature or Core temperature

CPU temp (your 53C) is the IHS (heatspreader) temperature, whereas Core temps (your 69C) are the individual cpu DIE temps. And 60C max relates to the CPU IHS temp !

EDIT:
Your highish cpu temps are however an indication that you either live in an extremely hot country or just maybe it's time for you to upgrade the cpu's heatsink ?

:)

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

Driver programs continuousley telling me to download the 4 IN 1 Package for The chipset.

Can someone please reassure me, because i most be doing something wrong clearly!

My experience of using E4xxx/E6xxx c2d and DDR2 with 4coredual-vsta/4coredual-sata mobo is that you will have few problems if you don't overclock. And where you MUST overclock, then you must also suitably hardmod both Vagp and Vcore volts. And if using Cpu designed for 200 FSb, overclocking works much better when you do 1066 BSEL mod?

Also, lets not forget that manually setting more appropriate mobo bios settings is very important to overclocking any mobo?

Plus I assume the reason you are continually reminded to "download the 4 in 1 chipset package" is because you haven't yet installed your mobo chipset drivers ---> is this true??

And with this mobo, it's generally a good idea to flash with latest bios ---> or at the very least check at asrock website which mobo bios must be flashed to properly support the CPU you are trying to run/overclock !

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: jimmor

My experience of using E4xxx/E6xxx c2d and DDR2 with 4coredual-vsta/4coredual-sata mobo is that you will have few problems if you don't overclock. And where you MUST overclock, then you must also suitably hardmod both Vagp and Vcore volts. And if using Cpu designed for 200 FSb, overclocking works much better when you do 1066 BSEL mod?

Also, lets not forget that manually setting more appropriate mobo bios settings is very important to overclocking any mobo?

Plus I assume the reason you are continually reminded to "download the 4 in 1 chipset package" is because you haven't yet installed your mobo chipset drivers ---> is this true??

And with this mobo, it's generally a good idea to flash with latest bios ---> or at the very least check at asrock website which mobo bios must be flashed to properly support the CPU you are trying to run/overclock !

Yep, Ive been Orthos rock stable at 280 x 10 ever since I did the bsel mod and got the bios settings right. :beer: I rma'd my ddr2 because I got a couple of errors from it after an hour of memtest86+. Might as well return it if its not 100% perfect.
So you should run memtest86+ for a couple of hours to make sure its perfect first.

Without the via 4 in 1 chipset drivers installed, you cant really call that running.:laugh:

The install order for a Via chipset (got this info from the viaarena site)

1) Chipset drivers (that is the Via 4 in 1's)

2) Video drivers (usually from Nvidia or Ati)

3) Microsoft services packs and updates

4) Audio and other hardware drivers

5) Any other software in any order.

Nope, it can also handle the Quad Core Kentsfield processors as well as the pentium IV and Celeron socket 775 processors.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: xfezz
Quick question. Whats the max RPM on Intels Stock cooler when it runs at 100%? I disabled Smart fan in the bios and it says the fan is running at 1700rpm.

I also have disabled the fan stuff in bios and Speedfan shows my stock intel cooler fan running at between 2000 and 2100 rpm.

And its very quiet.:thumbsup:

xfezz

Dec 13, 2007

I also have disabled the fan stuff in bios and Speedfan shows my stock intel cooler fan running at between 2000 and 2100 rpm.

hmm I wonder why mines only running at 1700rpm. I would like mine to run at 100% if possible.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

hmm I wonder why mines only running at 1700rpm. I would like mine to run at 100% if possible.

Each fan is different and 300rpm isnt that much of a difference. Almost all fans run a little faster if they are hooked up directly to a molex connector. There are adapters available to connect that fan to a molex and still have the separate yellow rpm wire go to the mobo.

On another topic to all:
A new version of Core Temp has been released. Version 0.96 12/31/2007
available at : http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Edit : It looks like the temps are too high in this new 0.96 version. :shocked:

Another new program available Hardware monitoring on the 4CoreDual-Sata2 is CPUID HWmonitor. It looks to be pretty accurate.
Available here : http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
Hmm, just installed the latest version. Idle temperatures are now reported as 55/55 instead of 30/30. Speedfan and MBM5 also read 30/30, so I wonder what's up. Tjunction changed from 85C to 100C in CoreTemp. I have a hard time believing my cpu is running that hot, since I feel absolutely no heat and any of the heatpipes on my cooler. I can also game and surf without a hiccup, so I don't know if the new version is really trustworthy.

Currently at 2992MHZ at stock volts. BSEL modded and AGP volt modded to 1.9V with pencil.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Tantalum
Hmm, just installed the latest version. Idle temperatures are now reported as 55/55 instead of 30/30. Speedfan and MBM5 also read 30/30, so I wonder what's up. Tjunction changed from 85C to 100C in CoreTemp. I have a hard time believing my cpu is running that hot, since I feel absolutely no heat and any of the heatpipes on my cooler. I can also game and surf without a hiccup, so I don't know if the new version is really trustworthy.

Currently at 2992MHZ at stock volts. BSEL modded and AGP volt modded to 1.9V with pencil.

Yeah, same here. It looks like there will be another version of core temp coming soon to fix this version. On the otherhand, the Tjunction Max temp is supposed to be 100C for the M0 stepping, so that he did fix.

Try the CPUID HWmonitor program, link above. It looks more accurate and concise for temps, fan speeds and voltages than any other program Ive tried. :thumbsup:

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Tantalum

Yeah, same here. It looks like there will be another version of core temp coming soon to fix this version. On the otherhand, the Tjunction Max temp is supposed to be 100C for the M0 stepping, so that he did fix.

Try the CPUID HWmonitor program, link above. It looks more accurate and concise for temps, fan speeds and voltages than any other program Ive tried. :thumbsup:
There is better softwares:
1-RMClock
http://cpu.rightmark.org/
2-NxSensor
http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

with RMclock you cand adjust VCore and multiplayer too.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
I've installed the 4in1 around 5 times, it only installs the IDE, SATA, and INF files.

I then have updated the AGP Controlelr manually using device manager.

I have all latest drivers for my devices, and Bios 1.70a, as i want cpu Quite fan enabled. No 1.80a as of yet.

My cpu is a E6600, and is on the support list. I have a X1950 Pro AGP Card with the latest Omega drivers, (Based on Cat 7.12) which is the latest.

Like i mentioned it doesn't crash when i take out my network card, soi i have replaced that tpday with an ASUS WL - 138G V2, which uses Broadcom Chip, So i have the latest broadcom Drivers for that aswell..

:/ Im not overclocking, cos ill either feck up, or become more unstable!

So why do these driver proggies keep tellin me to install the 4 in 1!?

P.S... Thid chipset can only just handle the Quad aswell, its not the best chip for these types of CPU's as it wasn't really intended to be used with the C2D And Qcore cpu's

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007

I would go with the high single rail Corsair VX550W Model CMPSU-550VX.

Corsair seems to use SEA SONIC ELECTRONICS CO LTD as the manufacturer, also a good psu company.

The 3870 should be fine with it. Others are running quad core and 8800GTS from it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16817139004

Allright i bought this new corsair PSU,
And guess what it still freezes when playing games :S

At this point i dont know whats the problem, Anyone?

My Setup:
Core 2 Duo 6600 [@stock]
2 GB DDR 667 Dual channel
ASROCK 4CoreDual-Sata2 [BIOS 1.50]
Nvidia 7800 GS AGP Latest Forceware drivers
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Corsair VX PSU
Windows XPPRO SP2

I use default bios settings, with some slight changes.

CPU Freq @ auto (will make my cpu run @ 2300 mhz in windows, and give me a 1:1 ratio according too everest)
flexibility.., disabled.
DDR Freq, Auto, (puts it in 522(266) instead of 667(333)
Video mode etc, set to AGP <- was on PCI on default

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
CPU Freq @ auto (will make my cpu run @ 2300 mhz in windows, and give me a 1:1 ratio according too everest)
flexibility.., disabled.

Yes i have this too, should i do exactly the samea s you then? I set my CPU Freq to manual to get the full 2.4Ghz, maybe this is why i have trouble!

DDR Freq, I have PC5400 667MHz, should i leave it at auto then?

I have altered my Video mode to AGP too...

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
I've installed the 4in1 around 5 times, it only installs the IDE, SATA, and INF files.

I then have updated the AGP Controlelr manually using device manager.

I have all latest drivers for my devices, and Bios 1.70a, as i want cpu Quite fan enabled. No 1.80a as of yet.

My cpu is a E6600, and is on the support list. I have a X1950 Pro AGP Card with the latest Omega drivers, (Based on Cat 7.12) which is the latest.

Like i mentioned it doesn't crash when i take out my network card, soi i have replaced that tpday with an ASUS WL - 138G V2, which uses Broadcom Chip, So i have the latest broadcom Drivers for that aswell..

:/ Im not overclocking, cos ill either feck up, or become more unstable!

So why do these driver proggies keep tellin me to install the 4 in 1!?

P.S... Thid chipset can only just handle the Quad aswell, its not the best chip for these types of CPU's as it wasn't really intended to be used with the C2D And Qcore cpu's

It sounds like something is wrong with your via 4 in 1 package, corruption. Try redownloading it again. I had no problem installing the package at all. It went very smoothly. Many years ago, with different mobos, I did have problems with installing the 4 in 1's, where they would hang. It was mostly due to bad files. Also note the install order.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DaleyG

I would go with the high single rail Corsair VX550W Model CMPSU-550VX.

Corsair seems to use SEA SONIC ELECTRONICS CO LTD as the manufacturer, also a good psu company.

The 3870 should be fine with it. Others are running quad core and 8800GTS from it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16817139004

Allright i bought this new corsair PSU,
And guess what it still freezes when playing games :S

At this point i dont know whats the problem, Anyone?

My Setup:
Core 2 Duo 6600 [@stock]
2 GB DDR 667 Dual channel
ASROCK 4CoreDual-Sata2 [BIOS 1.50]
Nvidia 7800 GS AGP Latest Forceware drivers
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Corsair VX PSU
Windows XPPRO SP2

I use default bios settings, with some slight changes.

flexibility.., disabled.

Have you run memtest86+ for at least a few hours ? What do the voltages in bios pc health look like ?

Yep, 533 (266) is supposed to give a 1:1 ratio on a 1066 std cpu.