Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
LOL, its your card i told you this...

Nvidia AGP and The Asrock board just don't go im afraid.

So... either Buy X1950 Pro, or buy ATI card :)

P.S. I have a 7600GT AGP POV, This works fine in Vista nad XP with the drivers under 1xx.xx, Alternatively, use the drivers that came on hte CD with your card

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DaleyG
Originally posted by: jimmor
Hi,
First i'd like to say HI everybody ;)

I just got this board yesterday (4CoreDual-Sata2 Bios version 1.50)
and im suffering from freezes, mainly when playing games.
I dont know whats causing this..
Tryed diff vid card drivers, but without succes.

Anyone who can help me out?
Much app!!

My system:
Windows XP SP2
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ Stock
Nvidia 7800GS AGP
768 DDR 400
Sound Blaster Augidy 2 Platinum With External Bay
PSU Specs : http://www.benchmark.pl/artyku...0202/360_tabliczka.gif

Your PSU's +12v line is a bit underpowered for E6600 and 7800GS; 20Amp plus would be better. And upgrade to 1Gb memory, or better still 2Gb if you can afford it, if you want smoother/better game play ?

;)

Hi,
I just got myself a new PSU, Coolermaster eXtremepower380 PCAP 12v v2.01
And i still get freezes.

it says +12v1, 10A / +12v² 15A
Thats must be enough i think? 25A @ 12v ?

I dint try older agp drivers under version 1xx yet like Superleeds27 said.

Well lets hope thats the problem :(

Still freezes with VGA drivers under 1xx.xx series

Got a new pair sets of ram,
so that aint the problem either.
WTF?

I think the new psu may still be the problem. Even though you got 25a total, 15a is the max on any one rail, if the specs dont lie, and frequently they do. With the 20 pin connector, it my feeling the 4coredual-sata2 is drawing power from one rail. I would say try a quality psu with a minimum of 17a or more on one rail. Why would anyone nowadays call their product of 380watts extreme power ???? :laugh:

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Yer.

I have a 600W PSU BY OCZ Cost me £50...

It has 4 12V Rails, with 18A on each Rail..

Rather powerful and reliable, very quiet too :)

Im awaiting my X1950Pro to stick in it now :p

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Superleeds27
Yer.

I have a 600W PSU BY OCZ Cost me £50...

It has 4 12V Rails, with 18A on each Rail..

Rather powerful and reliable, very quiet too :)

Im awaiting my X1950Pro to stick in it now :p

Yep, your OCZ is made by TOPOWER COMPUTER INDUSTRIAL CO LTD, a good psu manufacturer who also makes Tagan psus.

The Coolermaster eXtremepower380 PCAP was made by HIPRO ELECTRONICS CO LTD, who makes a lot of generic case psus, not so good.

A good psu is the heart of any stable system. And good doesnt always mean the most expensive. My favorite is my Fortron 530watt. Made by the FSP group.

Its quiet too, until the case temp exceeds 86F. Then the second fan kicks in, and until it cools to below 85F, its a jet. :laugh:

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
Damnit looks like i wasted some bucks on this crap :(
Somebody told me this PSU would be enough.
It did sound convinced to me, thats why i bought it.

I'd better listen to you guyz! :)
Going to return this crap tomorrow, and get my money back.

I see my local store got the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS-EU,
Thats the same as your's i guess?
I will try that in a couple of days. (cost 60/65? over here)

Will this be enough for a ATI 3870 Also?
im planning to buy this card, it got a good price card on it.

Thanx for ur time so far guyz,
im convinced it will work smooth soon =)

PS, this psu gives me even worse results then my older one.
[BIOS] +12v / +/- 11.780
[Windows] +12v / 11.066 / highest -> 11.126

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Can anyone confirm that any of the biosses for this board allow the CPU Quiet Fan to work?

I really need to know and get this feature activated and working!

My fan is very loud :(

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
I was planning to buy this OCZ Psu,
but it aint in stock, and i'd dont like to wait :)

I got 2 other choices,
I assume these are good enough.

1 : Corsair HX520W Specifications: Model CMPSU-520HX

AC INPUT 90-264V ~ 9A 50/60Hz

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 -12V +5Vsb
24A---24A---18A---18A---18A---0.8A---3A

2 : Corsair VX550W Specifications: Model CMPSU-550VX

+3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
30A---28A---41A---0.8---3A

Which one should i take?

HX520W or VX550W

2: Corsair VX550W = 20? cheaper then number : 1 Corsair HX520W
And got a single rail of 41A,
Dont know whats better, those triple or a single.

These things also got modular cables.

Thanx

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
I was planning to buy this OCZ Psu,
but it aint in stock, and i'd dont like to wait :)

I got 2 other choices,
I assume these are good enough.

1 : Corsair HX520W Specifications: Model CMPSU-520HX

AC INPUT 90-264V ~ 9A 50/60Hz

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 -12V +5Vsb
24A---24A---18A---18A---18A---0.8A---3A

2 : Corsair VX550W Specifications: Model CMPSU-550VX

+3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
30A---28A---41A---0.8---3A

Which one should i take?

HX520W or VX550W

2: Corsair VX550W = 20? cheaper then number : 1 Corsair HX520W
And got a single rail of 41A,
Dont know whats better, those triple or a single.

These things also got modular cables.

Thanx

I would go with the high single rail Corsair VX550W Model CMPSU-550VX.

Corsair seems to use SEA SONIC ELECTRONICS CO LTD as the manufacturer, also a good psu company.

The 3870 should be fine with it. Others are running quad core and 8800GTS from it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16817139004

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Can someone help me through how to flash with the Modded Bios?

Just it all seems compliucated :S

A little guide would be nice, and id rather flash through windows than in Dos :)

Cheers

P.s... Will 1.70A fix this CPU Quiet Fan issue then?

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007

A little guide would be nice, and id rather flash through windows than in Dos :)

Cheers

P.s... Will 1.70A fix this CPU Quiet Fan issue then?

Moded bios can be flashed in Dos only.
download any Dos version of asrock flash
http://www.asrock.com/mb/downl...del=4CoreDual-SATA2&s=
extract it, there is a exe file like ASRFLASH.exe
then let moded bios beside this exe file and type :

ASRFLASH biosfilename

Yes, Cpu quiet fan corrected and Vcore voltage and Cpu multiplyer can be decreased(sofware mode) in moded bios.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Ah right, Just i dont have a floppy drive!

Any ideas why my X1950 512MB AGP keeps crashing on Vista and XP with this board?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

Cheers

Download the zipped asrock winflasher program 4.22 from link below,

http://www.pc-treiber.net/file..._redirect.php?fid=3463

Unzip to a suitable directory. Run the AFUWIN.exe program and select to "open" the bios you wish to flash. Now make sure that "Main BIOS Image" is ticked on setup tab and then just select "Flash". After flash procedure is completed, reboot for changes to take place.

Of course if you are running Vista, then you should be flashing iaw the vista bios procedure shown at Asrock website !

And although it may not be necessary in your case: In order to force new bios data to be properly read during the subsequent reboot it is sometimes necessary to clear the CMOS after any mobo bios flashing ?

;)

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Cheers...

Erm, a ram slot on my board has died :(, this the problem i been having with random freezes!

Sooo...

Anyone know of a board which supports:

1066FSB AGP and ddr2? other than the SATA2? and asrock series?

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Nope my mistake, My gfx was overheating! haha

So, which way is best to flash this Bios? or should i wait for 1.80a?

Aand can i flash from 1.80 by asrock down to 1.70a safely?

On that thing, it asks me to select a bios no files are found with the term .ROM..

Should i select all files and then choose the file i downloaded in that zip? () Tthe one which contains the bios file, which isn't .ROM?)

Peav

Nov 15, 2007
Nope my mistake, My gfx was overheating! haha

So, which way is best to flash this Bios? or should i wait for 1.80a?

Aand can i flash from 1.80 by asrock down to 1.70a safely?

On that thing, it asks me to select a bios no files are found with the term .ROM..

Should i select all files and then choose the file i downloaded in that zip? () Tthe one which contains the bios file, which isn't .ROM?)

You can flash any bios to any other revision aslong as its for the board you are using.

The reason the no files with .ROM is due to asrock using a different extension names for the bios files. They are however legit ROM files so just select all files and then the name of the file you want to flash.

I have flashed the SATA2 around 15 times using WINFLASH 4.22 and never had an issue. The only time not to do a windows flash is when the rig is unstable. Although I wouldnt recommend the flash if your having problems regardless of the OS used.

AS a response to one of your earlier messages, I also noticed CnQ isnt enable, regardless of bios or setting. However my q6600 idles at about 38 cel so it isnt really an issue. Fan is stock intel and is quiet enough for me.

It does however work on my dual-vsta mainboard thats being used as my HTPC with a hot celeron D. You can hear the fan kick in but not that often.

Anyhoo I have no idea what asrock are doing as some of the bios features dont actually work, then there is the quad core support that isnt in spec with some peoples configs.

Peav

ayumu

Dec 30, 2007
Just got one of those along with 2x1GB DDR2-667 and a E2160 (FSB200, 9x); heatsink is asus v60 and gfx is geforce 7800gs AGP.

So far, I only tried to increase FSB. From 200 to 225 is almost stable but gives me segfaults, 223 is rock solid (haven't tried 224), 230 doesn't POST. I run Gentoo GNU/Linux and so compile stuff to test stability; I'm guessing the segfaults I'm getting at 225 are related to the RAM being pushed outside the spec. For now I'll go to sleep; next, I'll try to relax ram timings (667 -> 533 as a start) and bring the clock higher.

My hopes are to attain stability at, at least, somewhere between 30-50% overclock, which would be 260-300 FSB.

I'm gonna install xp pro 64bit tomorrow or so, and I'll then be able to update bios, which is stock 1.50. Does the tool to flash the BIOS work fine with xp 64?

What do the hacked BIOSes (1.70a and the like) have that is of use to us? (1.70a and the like). No Vcore settings, right?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
What do the hacked BIOSes (1.70a and the like) have that is of use to us? (1.70a and the like). No Vcore settings, right?

Nope, no Vcore settings. All the hacked bioses seem to be over at pc-treiber. The hacked bioses mostly deal with fan speed step issues. Since the stock intel heatsink is the quietest thing in my system, I have no use for anything to slow the fan.

Youll probably need to do the bsel 1066 mod like a lot of us to get to 266 and above stable. Fortunately, its easy to do.

If you just got the E2160 with the 9x multiplier, you may want to consider returning it and getting the E2200 with the 11X multiplier for just a few bucks more. It will make overclocking on this board sooooo much easier, considering the fsb limits of the PT880pro/ultra chipset. That 2x multipler increase will give you 533mhz more of an overclock at 266fsb.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Have flashed down to 1.70A, and the Cpu Quiet Fan works :)

As for the other random freezes this was due to my network card drivers :/

Thanks for the issue regarding Bios anyway ::p:)

ayumu

Dec 30, 2007
(2x1GB DDR2-667 and a E2160 (FSB200, 9x); heatsink is asus v60 and gfx is geforce 7800gs AGP)

Getting E2180 or E2200 is not an option... 14? more for E2180 (the extra % paid isn't worth the 9->10 gain in multiplier), E2200 isn't even available in my city (Barcelona). I went for cost efficiency and basically got myself what gave me the most / buck. The overclocking part is part of the plan for getting the most over the spent money.

By lowering DDR2 to 533, I've managed to get it to post at as high as 265. (266 fails miserably, and I even had to clear cmos because the safety feature didn't kick in)
Linux unpack CRC fails at 258, works at 255. Compiling stuff is stable at 251, segfaults sometimes at 253.

I wonder what to try next. What does that "Compatibility mode" RAM option thing do? If it lowers the RAM clock base even more (which is what I understand by reading the thread) it might help me raise that 251 somewhere higher. If I got it to stable 266 (33% overclock) I'd be quite satisfied.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: ayumu
(2x1GB DDR2-667 and a E2160 (FSB200, 9x); heatsink is asus v60 and gfx is geforce 7800gs AGP)

Getting E2180 or E2200 is not an option... 14? more for E2180 (the extra % paid isn't worth the 9->10 gain in multiplier), E2200 isn't even available in my city (Barcelona). I went for cost efficiency and basically got myself what gave me the most / buck. The overclocking part is part of the plan for getting the most over the spent money.

By lowering DDR2 to 533, I've managed to get it to post at as high as 265. (266 fails miserably, and I even had to clear cmos because the safety feature didn't kick in)
Linux unpack CRC fails at 258, works at 255. Compiling stuff is stable at 251, segfaults sometimes at 253.

I wonder what to try next. What does that "Compatibility mode" RAM option thing do? If it lowers the RAM clock base even more (which is what I understand by reading the thread) it might help me raise that 251 somewhere higher. If I got it to stable 266 (33% overclock) I'd be quite satisfied.

Yep, your symptoms are the same as mine and others before the bsel 1066 mod. After the mod, 280fsb stable was a piece of cake. The bsel 1066 mod makes the processor a 266fsb part versus 200fsb standard. And that also changes the way the motherboard responds to the memory dividers. Most use rear defogger paint or a circuit writer pen to do the mod, but I used the folder aluminum duct tape method found here :
http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=98439&page=1

brokencase

Oct 7, 2007
I run Gentoo GNU/Linux and so compile stuff to test stability; I'm guessing the segfaults I'm getting at 225 are related to the RAM being pushed outside the spec. For now I'll go to sleep; next, I'll try to relax ram timings (667 -> 533 as a start) and bring the clock higher.

ayumu, I also plan to run linux on this board. I did read that there were some compatability issues with the VIA chip set. Something about the SATA not seen correctly.

Did you run into any problems? Were you able to get the on board audio to work?

Tedtalker1

Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: cpmee

Most use rear defogger paint or a circuit writer pen to do the mod, but I used the folder aluminum duct tape method found here :
http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=98439&page=1

CPMEE does the adhesive side of the tape face down towards the cpu socket or is it supposed to stick to the pins on the cpu?

The picture is blurry but except for the folds, it looks like the sticky side is stuck on the cpu pins.Just trying to clarify.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Has anyone experienced Issues with this board or drivers, which make XP or Vista to freeze du to the Network Card in their PC?

Only just started since i oput my new Gfx Card , and sata HDD, so dunno if the drivers dont like one of them.

But network card would crash randomly, XP or vista would freeze, could only restart by holding power sswwitch.

Have removed it and using USB for now, and its fine, although my signal strength is crap!

Anyone else had this problem or no a solution to fix it?

P.S Ive got a netgear WPN311 PCI card