Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
My readings in Bios H/W health
Vcore :1.322
+3.00 :3.370
+5 :5.148
+12 :12.000

Your voltages look good. I would meter the 12v rail with a VOM. If your board is underreporting the 12v rail like it is for everyone else, then your 12.000 is really in the neighborhood of about 12.7v. Nothing to worry about, but too high of 12v and 5v may decrease the life of HDs and Optical drives. Personally, I like my voltages just a hair high of the exact amount rather than a hair low. But I have the luxury of a Fortron psu with adjustable rails. :D

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: papounet
Originally posted by: cpmee
Originally posted by: papounet
1)I started by changing the Bios to 1.60A
I did the pencil mod: vagp and vddr (bought a new digital voltmeter for it)

2)(beware 12V, 5V, and 3,3V reported in BIOS have little relation with actual values provided by PSU as checked by voltmeter either on the PSU lines or on the MB mosfets)

3)I love the Mhz race, but the overall performance is foremost.

1) Any particular reason for the vagp and vddr mods ? Were they low even after upping the values in bios ?

2) Yep, the 12v readings are way off. The other voltages seemed fairly close though.

3) For performance, a 1:1 memory ratio is best. Sell the ddr and get some ddr2. It like $25 a gig at newegg.

1/ had the same resistors and the same measured values as the guys reporting the improvments after having done the pencil mod.
then I measured AGP with bios high, was way too high for my liking but the board and graphics card worked for several hours at that level,
I measured AGP with bios normal and the pencil, found it is higher than the reported for Bios high with no pencil, good enough for me

2) yes it is the 12V in the bios that is not to be trusted

3/ I just received 4 *1Mb of OCZ Enhanced Latency Platinum XTC Edition Revision 2 DD2-6400. I had planned on using this in my other machine, but I may end up putting 2 sticks in this 4coredual just to get 2Mb.
This machine at almost 3Ghz is plenty fast enough (I will recheck superpi numbers), but 1 or 2 games could benefit from more memory.

Are they any numbers comparing DDR400 4/3 with DD2-533 1/1 on this board ?

(because I am not sure of the actual penalty for async operation cf. http://www.anandtech.com/memor...owdoc.aspx?i=2867&p=3) and its table http://images.anandtech.com/re...2-800/performance.html

1) Thats good to know. Thanks.

2) Yep.

3) There seems to be a significant performance penalty, especially in games, running anything other than 1:1, either 4/3 or the other way 3/5 or 3/4. Thats what I have seen looking through this thread and the threads of the previous boards of this series.

My $18.99 a gig ADATA ddr2 6400 hasnt come in yet, so I cant post some results. But you have some pretty good OCZ stuff, so you can.

I do recall doing some intial tests with 3Dmark2001se and my scores were higher at 2.17ghz with the 1:1 ratio than they were at 2.6ghz at a split ratio. So Ive left it at 2.17ghz for now. Before you laugh at the $18.99 stuff, look at this review
http://www.iax-tech.com/ram/50bucks/02.htm

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: xfezz
Hi, I just bought the 4CoreDual-SATA2 board and I have a few questions. What utility do you guys recommend for viewing voltages? Mines reading quite low with AIDA32 and im not sure if its something I should worry about. Also I would like to do a modest oc. Maybe running my E4500 @ 1066 fsb. So that should be just under 3ghz right? Well I cant find anywhere in the bios on where to set the FSB ratio on the ram to 1:1?

+5v - 5.05
+12v - 11.19 << worried about that
-12v - 0.39
-5v - 1.69

E4500 @ stock and stock cooling
2gb kingston DDR2 667
160gig IDE HD
120gig IDE HD
IDE DVD-ROM
IDE DVD-Burner
Creative Audigy Gamer sound card
Sapphire x1950pro AGP
Muskin HP-550 Enhanced Power Supply (550w)

As far as I can find, no program I found yet reads the voltages correctly. I just use a digital VOM meter and compare the readings to Speedfan, then mentally compensate in the future.

CPU-Z will tell you the cpu/fsb ratio. In bios, you set the cpu on the cpu settings page and the memory in the memory settings page. At some point, and cpu-z will tell you, the 1:1 ratio changes to another ratio. For regular ddr, its somewhere around 227-240 mhz. I wish it were documented somewhere.

Blast PE

Nov 12, 2007

Nope, not joking, thats what Antec lists on their normal 2.0 model. Their "Earthwatts" model only lists 17a on each of the 12v rails. (Earthwatts, what a name. It sounds like it should be buried. :laugh:)

Yeah, the E2180 only pulls 65watts at stock settings, which goes up dramatically when you overclock. Add 40 or so watts for the mobo, 15 each for the dimms, 15-25 each for any other pci cards, add the opticals and HDs and the amount adds up quickly. Then add another 50% for the surge startup power. If all that is being pulled from the 14a 12v rail, it may become unstable.

And most important to remember : THERE ARE NO PSU LABELING POLICE, AND PRINTING LABELS IS CHEAP. :laugh:) A lot of the label info on off brand supplies are just plain lies. In fact, they are rarely certified by the agencies listed on the label.

In the case of memtest86, a lot of the fails on test number 5 and ?? are from psu problems.
Well your right about the labeling policy. If you add up the antec spec it will give you a total power of 607watts max :). They are only specifying max amps.
What I was trying to say is that if you have 2 12v rials, 14A and 15A that would be enough for that setup. the CPU pulls from rial 12V1 so that 1 has the full 14A for it self resulting in 12*14=168watts.
The 40watts for the mobo + 15watts for each dimm are meanly 3.3v and 5v. Same for PCI, 3.3 and 5v. So this leaves for the second rial 12V2 the AGP and drives. A drive is 2A(12v) so that leaves almost 11A for the AGP.

btw. Also have a FSP PSU stable as hell. The 12volt measurement within windows is way of. 11.31. With a voltmeter it's 12.08v

xfezz

Dec 13, 2007
Hi, I just bought the 4CoreDual-SATA2 board and I have a few questions. What utility do you guys recommend for viewing voltages? Mines reading quite low with AIDA32 and im not sure if its something I should worry about. Also I would like to do a modest oc. Maybe running my E4500 @ 1066 fsb. So that should be just under 3ghz right? Well I cant find anywhere in the bios on where to set the FSB ratio on the ram to 1:1?

+5v - 5.05
-12v - 0.39
-5v - 1.69

2gb kingston DDR2 667
160gig IDE HD
120gig IDE HD
IDE DVD-ROM
IDE DVD-Burner
Sapphire x1950pro AGP

As far as I can find, no program I found yet reads the voltages correctly. I just use a digital VOM meter and compare the readings to Speedfan, then mentally compensate in the future.

CPU-Z will tell you the cpu/fsb ratio. In bios, you set the cpu on the cpu settings page and the memory in the memory settings page. At some point, and cpu-z will tell you, the 1:1 ratio changes to another ratio. For regular ddr, its somewhere around 227-240 mhz. I wish it were documented somewhere.

I see. In the bios the 12v rail shows up as 11.8v. I was just worried that I'm under powering my system.

As for overclocking I tried bumping the FSB from 200 to 266. I rebooted and was greeted to a black screen. I had to clear the cmos jumper to get it to boot again. Could this be due to the PCI and AGP clocks being raised as well? Even though ASRock claims these clocks are independent I was reading that claim is bogus. I was going to set these to manual instead of auto but I'd thought I'd ask first. I dont want to mess anything up.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Blast PE

Nope, not joking, thats what Antec lists on their normal 2.0 model. Their "Earthwatts" model only lists 17a on each of the 12v rails. (Earthwatts, what a name. It sounds like it should be buried. :laugh:)

Yeah, the E2180 only pulls 65watts at stock settings, which goes up dramatically when you overclock. Add 40 or so watts for the mobo, 15 each for the dimms, 15-25 each for any other pci cards, add the opticals and HDs and the amount adds up quickly. Then add another 50% for the surge startup power. If all that is being pulled from the 14a 12v rail, it may become unstable.

And most important to remember : THERE ARE NO PSU LABELING POLICE, AND PRINTING LABELS IS CHEAP. :laugh:) A lot of the label info on off brand supplies are just plain lies. In fact, they are rarely certified by the agencies listed on the label.

In the case of memtest86, a lot of the fails on test number 5 and ?? are from psu problems.
Well your right about the labeling policy. If you add up the antec spec it will give you a total power of 607watts max :). They are only specifying max amps.
What I was trying to say is that if you have 2 12v rials, 14A and 15A that would be enough for that setup. the CPU pulls from rial 12V1 so that 1 has the full 14A for it self resulting in 12*14=168watts.
The 40watts for the mobo + 15watts for each dimm are meanly 3.3v and 5v. Same for PCI, 3.3 and 5v. So this leaves for the second rial 12V2 the AGP and drives. A drive is 2A(12v) so that leaves almost 11A for the AGP.

btw. Also have a FSP PSU stable as hell. The 12volt measurement within windows is way of. 11.31. With a voltmeter it's 12.08v

In theory, yes, 29a total on the 12v is overkill, even if the label -20% off. But with the split 12v rails, its gonna depend a lot on how the psu splits it and how the user splits it.

Yep, FSP (Fortron-Sparkle Power) psus are great. They use good sized quality components. And a lot of their models have adjustable pots on the inside. Thats one way they get the voltages so close. And it allows me to tweak, if need be. :D

Interesting, your mobo is off -.77 volts, Im off -.67. So the average about -.6 volt off from true.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

+5v - 5.05
-12v - 0.39
-5v - 1.69

2gb kingston DDR2 667
160gig IDE HD
120gig IDE HD
IDE DVD-ROM
IDE DVD-Burner
Sapphire x1950pro AGP

I see. In the bios the 12v rail shows up as 11.8v. I was just worried that I'm under powering my system.

As for overclocking I tried bumping the FSB from 200 to 266. I rebooted and was greeted to a black screen. I had to clear the cmos jumper to get it to boot again. Could this be due to the PCI and AGP clocks being raised as well? Even though ASRock claims these clocks are independent I was reading that claim is bogus. I was going to set these to manual instead of auto but I'd thought I'd ask first. I dont want to mess anything up.

Offhand, without metering your voltage, I would say your 12v is fine.

If you leave the pci and agp clocks to auto, they are not locked. Set to manual, set agp to 66mhz and set pci-express to 100mhz. Thats the "lock".

In the memory page set your Kingston ddr2 667 to ddr2 533 to get a 1:1 ratio at 2.66ghz.

From what Ive read here and elsewhere : http://forum.micromart.co.uk/Topic173843-29-1.aspx
rebooting more than once is almost considered normal to get the settings set in bios. Weird.

xfezz

Dec 13, 2007

+5v - 5.05
-12v - 0.39
-5v - 1.69

2gb kingston DDR2 667
160gig IDE HD
120gig IDE HD
IDE DVD-ROM
IDE DVD-Burner
Sapphire x1950pro AGP

Offhand, without metering your voltage, I would say your 12v is fine.

If you leave the pci and agp clocks to auto, they are not locked. Set to manual, set agp to 66mhz and set pci-express to 100mhz. Thats the "lock".

In the memory page set your Kingston ddr2 667 to ddr2 533 to get a 1:1 ratio at 2.66ghz.

From what Ive read here and elsewhere : http://forum.micromart.co.uk/Topic173843-29-1.aspx
rebooting more than once is almost considered normal to get the settings set in bios. Weird.

Alright I set the AGP and PCI-express accordingly but I still cant get the system to boot over 236 fsb. Anything higher it just wont boot. So I got my E4500 running at 236 or 2.6ghz.

EDIT:

well the system crashed while I was browsing on the net. I ended up putting everything back to stock. Not quite sure what the deal is. Temp only went up 1c on both cores while idle

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
Eating crow here....

Just went through the trouble of mounting the Gigabyte cooler (had to remove the MB).

Full load Orthos temperatures dropped from >70C to 52C, still not chilly, but the paste is still bedding in.

I'm going for >3GHz.

BTW, I jammed the VMM into a spare HDD connector and read 12.7V, so I think the PSU is doing alright.

xfezz

Dec 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Tantalum
Eating crow here....

Just went through the trouble of mounting the Gigabyte cooler (had to remove the MB).

Full load Orthos temperatures dropped from >70C to 52C, still not chilly, but the paste is still bedding in.

I'm going for >3GHz.

BTW, I jammed the VMM into a spare HDD connector and read 12.7V, so I think the PSU is doing alright.

Were you able to get your OC without the BSEL mod? For some reason I can't even get the machine to boot past 236fsb. I'm not exactly sure if there are any other bios settings I can tweak with or not as I am not too thrilled about doing the BSEL mod to get to 266fsb. Your system specs are fairly similar to mine so I thought I would ask.

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
I was good to about 2860 MHz without the BSEL mod. I only gained about another 100MHz or so after the mod, so it's debatable how much it helped. As far as I can tell it just got me to 2.9 GHZ+ at boot. Looks like that is about the max I will get without volt mods, as Orthos is crapping out about 10 seconds in at 3.0 GHz.

Since I don't crunch numbers all day, I think I will leave it at 3.0 GHz for now and see what it does.

BSEL mod is easy. I used some defroster grid repair paint, which, ironically, I really DID buy to fix a defroster grid, but never ended up doing so. I used a short piece of solid wire, about 22 gauge and simply dabbed it in a drew the bridge with it, easy!

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
3ghz is very nice. You werent expecting to max out the cpu on this board when you bought it, were you ?

Ive used defogger paint in the past and it works very well. The trouble is, the price of it at Pep Boys has gone up to $11.49 and once you open the bottle, its dries out very quickly. Ive got 2 bottles of it completely dried.

Another method of doing the bsel mod is to use aluminum duct tape as described here :
http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=98439&page=13

He uses aluminum duct tape, not the silvery grey plastic stuff, but the quality stuff that should be used on ducts anyway. I think Ill try that method next week.

turbodrum

Dec 10, 2007
Originally posted by: turbodrum
Ok i have read all of your replys conserning this mobo.My problem with this mobo has to do something with ram,well im prety sure of it.:| . I recently bought this mobo because i thought it would be nice upgrade from my old system(which is bytheway realy old) and since i recently also bought 7950gt on AGP,this mobo was good deal,or so i thought.

My config is:Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2
Intel Pentium Dual core E2180
2x 1Gb Patriot PC2-6400,800Mhz ram
650wat LG Psu.
XFX 7950gt on AGP.

About the problem.I couldnt install fresh copy of windows with this ram because it said that some file could not be copied from cd,so i inserted 1 gb of ddr1 ram,and Windows installed like charm,then i tryed out memtest86 and it found errors on both type of ram(400mhz/800mhz)i know that this mobo only suports 667 mhz ram,but the older ram didnt show any errors on my older mobo,when i ran memtest86.Under Windows there are some errors for example,F.E.A.R. doesnt wants to install,while with 400mhz rams it does.This is so confusing to me,so im not sure whether this is mobo or ram issue.

It could also be a psu issue too. A google search didnt turn up a 650 watt LG supply. Is that the correct name or is it an off off brand ? It may have worked fine on the old system which drew cpu voltage from the 5 volt rail. But newer mobos draw cpu power from the 12 volt rail and dimm juice from the 3.3 volt rail, and bearly touch the 5 volt rail. A low 3.3 volt rail will cause the dimm to fail in a couple of the memtest86 tests. Post the voltages showing in bios pc health.

Yes im sorry its a LC POWER 560 wat psu
http://www.lc-power.com/ its a taurus series

Its only got 14a on one 12v rail and 15a on the other 12v rail, which is very very low for a 560watt psu. For example, the antec 500watt unit has 19a on both 12v rails. I would borrow another psu and try it.

My readings in Bios H/W health
Vcore :1.322
+3.00 :3.370
+5 :5.148
+12 :12.000

Well i RMA-d the bord i also changed rams but i was still having same problems.So i exchanged the ram with 2 gigs of DDR PC-4000 500mhz rams,and now it works like charm.I chooze these rams because of overcklocking.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Do you have another typo in there ? :laugh:

Well i RMA-d the bord i also changed rams but i was still having same problems.So i exchanged the ram with 2 gigs of DDR PC-4000 500mhz rams,and now it works like charm.I chooze these rams because of overcklocking.

You went from pc6400 to pc4000 for the overclocking ?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Tantalum
Eating crow here....

I'm going for >3GHz.

Were you able to get your OC without the BSEL mod? For some reason I can't even get the machine to boot past 236fsb. I'm not exactly sure if there are any other bios settings I can tweak with or not as I am not too thrilled about doing the BSEL mod to get to 266fsb. Your system specs are fairly similar to mine so I thought I would ask.

Many motherboards, including 4coredual's, don't overclock well with cpu's designed to operate with FSB of 200Mhz ---> which includes your E4500 !

Getting around this problem usually just requires a cpu 1066 BSEL mod iaw link below,

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php...21&postcount=1

This will force your boot FSB to be 266Mhz, with cpu around 2.92Ghz, and you should also now find it easier to overclock to 280-300 levels?

However stable 2.9GHz or higher may not be possible without first increasing cpu Volts --> which can either be done by hard mod to motherboard, or by further conductive paint mod to cpu surface ?

But maybe just as important to any overclocking activities is a need to set the mobos bios's "Vagp volts" setting to HIGH ---> since this is actually 'Northbridge' volts !

I have a 4coredual-sata2/E4400 combo which to achieve stable 3.2Ghz (FSB at 320Mhz) required the cpu 1066 BSEL conductive paint mod plus Vcore and Vagp mobo hard mods ---> Vcore is increased from default of 1.325 to 1.44v, and Vagp is increased from default (bios HIGH) of 1.64v to 2.00v !

;)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
I have a 4coredual-sata2/E4400 combo which to achieve stable 3.2Ghz (FSB at 320Mhz) required the cpu 1066 BSEL conductive paint mod plus Vcore and Vagp mobo hard mods ---> Vcore is increased from default of 1.325 to 1.44v, and Vagp is increased from default (bios HIGH) of 1.64v to 2.00v !

jimmor.

Do you have a link to vagp mod ?

Blast PE

Nov 12, 2007
@cpmeeVagp mod

Jimmor, How high could you get without the Vagpmod?
My 4core runs 300 stable without BSELmod and Vagp set to normal in bios. I've only did the conductive paint mod on the cpu to get 1.41 volt. It even runs stable when set to 310 with SETFSB. The trick for me was to load the optimal bios settings(F9).

Javver

Dec 3, 2007
Another recent post at Newegg regarding a hidden Bios & other for this Board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813157115

AREA-51 Technology

Pros: IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE BORD TRY F9 DEL AND THEN LET THE BORD RUN A TEST WITH WILL TAKE ABOUT 2 HOURS ON A PENTIUM 4.1GHZ AFTER THE TEST THE BORD WILL ADJUST ALL THE SETTINGS WITH YOU'R SYSTEM --WARNING IF YOU RUN THE TEST AND NOT COMPLETE IT IN THE CON DOWN TIME AND YOU SHUT OFF THE SYSTEM YOU'R BORD WILL BE FRY'T BEFORE RUNNING THE TEST GO TOO BIOS AND FOR BOOT CHOICE NOTHING IT'S NO CD NO FLOOPY NO DVD NO HD DISK AND KEEP TRYING TOO RESTART THE SYSTEM AND PRESS F9 AND DELL KEY IF IT FAILS AFTER TRYNG IT MORE THEN 2-3 MINNUTES HIT THE F9-AND TAB YOU WILL GET IN A VIA BIOS NOT THE F2 BIOS THE VIA BIOS IT'S HIDDEN BIOS BUT CAN NOT BE ACCESS EASY IT TAKES TIME IT CAN TAKE HOUR'S PLESE DO NOT ADJUST ANYTHING IN THE VIA BIOS ONLY RUN THE AUTO TEST VIA BIOS HES LOT'S OFF FUTURES AND VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT'S AND LOCKING FUTURES FOR F2 DO NOT OVERCKLOCK THE VIA BIOS DO NOT TRY TOO CHANGE ANY NAMES IN THE VIA BIOS LIKE THE MODEL NUMBER OR THE IBC NUMBERS OR THE SPCIPPNS VOLTAGE OR AGP

Cons: ALL AT YOU ' Risk don't risk if you don't no what you'r doing... you may overckloke the fsb in memory and add 4Gig memory too it only at VIA Bios the changes can be made...

Other Thoughts: IN THE VIA BIOS YOU MAY CHANGE THE FSB-1066-OR-800-533 AND YOU CAN ADD MORE FSB LIKE 1666 FSB OR MORE AND AFTER YOU ADD MORE FSB PLEASE ADD THE MHz FROM CPU AND THE MB SO THE PROCESSOR SUPPORT IT HIH GEEKS AND TECH AT ---NEWEGG,COM perfect love newegg you need a newegg don't wait until you'r girlfriend lays it bye it at newegg.com.

Why would he post at Newegg ...if it is fake info ?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

jimmor.

Do you have a link to vagp mod ?

Vagp Mod to 4coredual is same as for 775dual, and can be done by simple "pencil mod" or by "soldering a pot" as shown in links below:-

http://forums.vr-zone.com/show...&p=2409476&postcount=1

http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...=2251490&postcount=246

However a caution for those intending to do the Vagp mod: It is advisable to fix a small heatsink onto the Mosfet which controls the Vagp voltage, since it will get much hotter as Vagp (northbridge) volts is increased.

;)

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
@cpmeeVagp mod

Jimmor, How high could you get without the Vagpmod?
My 4core runs 300 stable without BSELmod and Vagp set to normal in bios. I've only did the conductive paint mod on the cpu to get 1.41 volt. It even runs stable when set to 310 with SETFSB. The trick for me was to load the optimal bios settings(F9).

Without Vagp mod, but with bios's Vagp option at High, my max FSB boot was limited to around 300Mhz. Also tried to increase FSB above this level using SETFSB, but found increased result not to be stable ----> and which of course is why I did the mobo Vagp mod!

SETFSB now actually allows me to overclock up to around 335, but again it is not stable ?

:)

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

My 4core runs 300 stable without BSELmod .......

I also occasionally found that a 4coredual/E4xxx combo could overclock up to 280-300 without a BSEL mod, however it was a freak situation that wasn't stable ---> easily upset by bios changes.

For some as yet unknown reasons the bios/chipset was occasionally seeing a E4400 (or E4300) as a 1066 type cpu. And once wrongly detected as 1066 type cpu, when bios's CPU freq was set to "auto" the mobo now booted at 266Mhz as opposed to expected normal default of 200MHz. Unfortunately this wrong cpu type detection could be upset by changing/upgrading the bios, and even sometimes because of changing certain parameters within a bios. And when E4xxx properly detected as 800 type cpu, max overclocking was markedly reduced.

The bottom line for me was that a mobo which allows a unmodified 800 type cpu to boot as a 1066 type, is faulty ---> so not to be relied on. Which is why I chose to do the 1066 BSEL mod to my E4400.

Feb 9, 2007
Why do you guys think that I can run my E6600 at 310 FSB w/o any probs. I am running "stock" everything and am having no probs w/ AGP 8x, DDR 333 and FSB @ 310 manual. Am I having probs that I don't see? No crashes, although sometimes I have lock-up w/ my Logitech legacy wireless PS2 mouse and/or my USB external HD when I try to run it as eSATA.

Would SOMEONE else who is Oc'ing this board WITHOUT problems, PLEASE POST information.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: fritzfield1234
Why do you guys think that I can run my E6600 at 310 FSB w/o any probs. I am running "stock" everything and am having no probs w/ AGP 8x, DDR 333 and FSB @ 310 manual. Am I having probs that I don't see? No crashes, although sometimes I have lock-up w/ my Logitech legacy wireless PS2 mouse and/or my USB external HD when I try to run it as eSATA.

Would SOMEONE else who is Oc'ing this board WITHOUT problems, PLEASE POST information.

Looks good. What does cpuz show your FSB/DRAM ratio to be ?

Your Logitech legacy wireless PS2 mouse and/or my USB external HD may just simply need newer drivers (or wait until a new update)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
I was successful in doing the 1066 BSEL mod using the aluminum duct tape method. I would say it took about the same amount of time as it would using defogger paint, but way cheaper, especially if you already have the tape. :D You just need good lighted magnifing glasses, good tiny tweasers, and sharp craft knives. It took me a couple of tries to get the exact sizing and folding right, but overall not that long. The thing to keep in mind is to never touch the sticky part of the tape with your fingers, use tweasers only. The legs of the "U" are folded over, and the sticky part holds to the edge if the cpu. :D

Of course, my 3dmark01se scores are about 1000 points lower at 2.66ghz than at 2.17ghz due to the 8:5 fsb/dram ratio versus the 1:1 ratio at 2.17ghz with my ddr1 pc3200. My ddr2 should be here soon which will allow me to run 1:1.

It also gave me a chance to remove the intel compound and replace it with Artic Silver Ceramique. My temps are 3C (6F) lower both at idle and orthos load despite the 500mhz increase in clock speed. My temps max out at 44C under orthos load with the stock intel heatsink.

brokencase

Oct 7, 2007
It also gave me a chance to remove the intel compound and replace it with Artic Silver Ceramique. My temps are 3C (6F) lower both at idle and orthos load despite the 500mhz increase in clock speed. My temps max out at 44C under orthos load with the stock intel heatsink.

You know what? I also did the "remove intel compound and replace it with Artic Silver" thing this past weekend. However I used Artic Silver 5.

I did not see any improvement. In fact, my q6600 now runs Prime95 (four instances, max heat generation) 2 degrees F higher than before. Previously is would be 122-124F, now it is 124-126F.

Granted, the AS5 instructions indicate that it could take 200 hours to "break in", and I am patient person, but at this point I wish I never "cracked the seal" on the intel stuff.

I think the Dow Corning stuff that Intel uses is pretty good. I guess we can say from our collective experiments "Intel/Dow-Corning is better than AS5 but not better than Ceramique"?