Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 + ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA + ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Hi All
Due to the closure of the below SPECIAL threads and the dedication of so many in providing information to them, I have decided to combine them all here in this new thread as these boards are very similar and a lot of information can be cross shared between the different board users.

Lets keep these GREAT boards alive!

Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=53947&highlight=775dual+vsta

ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=3462&highlight=775dual+vsta

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=3036&highlight=775dual+vsta

Last edited:

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Thanks, I have recently rebuilt a system using my old 775Dual-VSTA. Researching the old thread was invaluable. I really don't understand the rationale behind locking the old threads because of age since they were still active. Anyway, thanks again for the links and starting this one.

Reactions: denix123

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, poor mod choice to lock those slow-but-active threads. I looked forward to updates whenever a new beta bios came out.

Reactions: denix123

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Yes I agree with you guys, hits on Anandtech mean revenue, it does not make sense IMO closing those threads that combined have generated more than half a million views and over 5000 replies, not to mention probably hundreds of new members to Anandtech forums and site.

:confused:

cammell

Nov 8, 2007
Yeah Mr Vain :)
Since i was looking for info about this mobo (Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 ) im a member of anandtech forum, here i found most informations about it.
Mobo is good, working as main PC near two years - with no problems :)
Greetz !!

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Originally posted by: cammell
Yeah Mr Vain :)
Since i was looking for info about this mobo (Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 ) im a member of anandtech forum, here i found most informations about it.
Mobo is good, working as main PC near two years - with no problems :)
Greetz !!

I bought one of each of these motherboards the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2,
ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA & ASRock 775Dual-VSTA.
I burnt out the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA with a volt mod gone wrong and given a relative the
Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2. I still have the ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA on my spare system. If Asrock was to update these motherboards with something significant like PCI-e 2,
USB 3 and SATA 3 @ 6Gbs I would most likely buy another one.
:D

country2

May 1, 2001
Has anyone ran windows 7 on the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2? Looks like me and my son will be swapping computers (he gets my abit ip35pro with E6300 oc to 3.2 ghz) I'll be using his which is currently running XP with a P4.

Will be getting W7 when released to install it on this motherboard. Just want to make sure it'll work with out much issues...thanks

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Originally posted by: country2
Has anyone ran windows 7 on the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2? Looks like me and my son will be swapping computers (he gets my abit ip35pro with E6300 oc to 3.2 ghz) I'll be using his which is currently running XP with a P4.

Will be getting W7 when released to install it on this motherboard. Just want to make sure it'll work with out much issues...thanks

I hope this helps you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windo...t/upgrade-advisor.aspx

In general, if your PC can run Windows Vista, it can run Windows 7. But if you're not running Windows Vista, or are just not sure if your system is ready to run Windows 7, there's a quick way to do a simple check.

Just download, install, and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta. You'll get a report telling you if your PC can run Windows 7 and if there are any known compatibility issues. If an issue can be resolved, you'll get suggestions for next steps. For example, it may let you know that you need an updated driver for your printer and where to get it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downl...4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

TortillaChip

Aug 1, 2009
Thanks for keeping this alive, I can't believe the old threads were shut down. I'm still hanging on to my 4CoreDual-VSTA with a 9600gt and Core 2 Duo @ 2.5ghz and I can still play pretty much every game maxed out. The first one that's really challenged my system is Arma II. Bring on Modern Warfare 2!

cammell

Nov 8, 2007
Originally posted by: country2

I have installed win7 64bit RC. Runs with no problems at all. :)

Sep 15, 2006
is anyone running HD4670/HD4770/HD4850 or 9600GT on the Asrock 775DualVSTA ? is that 4x PCIE lane didn't make big problem ? which one of these video work better ? and what bios version ?
thinking about upgrading 6600GT AGP to one of i list above ....

thanks very much

AuxPwrUsr

Jul 22, 2009
1. Thanks, Mr. Vain, for keeping this thread going.
2. ANGELo, I have been running an HD 3870 pci-e with zero problems. It's probably not as fast, but it works pretty good. I run the Hd 3870 in Win7-64 and an old ATi 8500DV in XP.
3. Currently, my Win7-64 sees all 4Gb of memory. Anyone have an issue with the more than 3.25 gb of memory?
4. My first post here, but I have been reading here a lot.
5. Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2, 4Gb Kingston value RAM, E7600

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Originally posted by: ANGELo
is anyone running HD4670/HD4770/HD4850 or 9600GT on the Asrock 775DualVSTA ? is that 4x PCIE lane didn't make big problem ? which one of these video work better ? and what bios version ?

thanks very much

To the best of my knowledge whatever Pci-e card You run will be limited to about the performance level of my HD3850, due to the 4x limitation, so unless You plan on putting it into a more powerful computer at some point, stick with a cheaper card.

SKKS

Aug 15, 2009
Hi everyone!

I have been using the Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA (with almost the same configuration) for about 2 years, a few days ago I decided to format my 500 Gb disk to make a dual boot (with 2 partitions), but then the problems started. At first I could get to the installation of the OS (Win. 7 in that case), but now I can´t even pass the post screen neither enter the BIOS, I already tried to clear the CMOS but since then I can´t even get the ?Press F2? option/mssage on the screen, I already changed the CMOS battery with another one I got, but nothing changed, anyone got the same problem or knows how to get over it? I have the 2.30 version (BIOS).

SKKS

Aug 15, 2009
Originally posted by: SKKS
Hi everyone!

I have been using the Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA (with almost the same configuration) for about 2 years, a few days ago I decided to format my 500 Gb disk to make a dual boot (with 2 partitions), but then the problems started. At first I could get to the installation of the OS (Win. 7 in that case), but now I can´t even pass the post screen neither enter the BIOS, I already tried to clear the CMOS but since then I can´t even get the ?Press F2? option/mssage on the screen, I already changed the CMOS battery with another one I got, but nothing changed, anyone got the same problem or knows how to get over it? I have the 2.30 version (BIOS).

After this post I tried to install Win Vista or win 7 with a IDE HD but I receive a message when selecting the HD that I can´t install on the HD, and to see in the BIOS if the controller is installed, every time I turn on the PC I get the following messages:
"MAC ADDRESS are invalid in both cmos and flash!"
Press f1 to Resume
Error 5037
Then I get Error 0078 but I´m allowed to press F2, any way I can´t install any OS neither get the SATA disk to work (it freezes when POST). Any idea?

ramstein

May 22, 2003
Hi,
Long story short, I had a Sapphire Radeon 200 Pro in my
4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0
and it all of a sudden (*after 1 year..) decided to stop working with some games.. (Black Shark.. is one..) and I tried everything, only thing left was to RMA ther video card, and they sent me a Sapphire HDE3870 PCI-e 512mb to replace my 2900 Pro. RThen the HD3870 would not play nice with any Catalyst driver... it was horrific tearing and artifacts..

I have been trying for 1 week with different drivers, and re-installing Windows XP..
I finally got it to work in a couple versions of Catalyst without to many problems..
I think that the HD3870 is either a POS or the combination of the HD3870 with the 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 motherboard just doe snot work correctly.

Also when my 2900 Pro worked correctly it showed two display adapters in the device manager in WinXP. All my ATI video cards showed two display adpaters.

When my 2000 Pro video card wetn screwy and would not play Black Shark and LockOn:FC it only showed as one adpater. I also have another computer with a Radeon x1950 AGP< so I took it out and put it in my 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 and it work3ed fine and showed as two display adpaters, so I know the AGP slot and card worked fine with my
Asrock MB. I took the x1950 agp out and put my HD3870 pci-e video card back it and notheing but problems with al catalyst driver versions.

I read in these forums to try disabling the PCI-e pipeline in the Asrock MB bios. That sems to help.

But, I really do think the Asrock and Sapphire HD3870 video cards hate each others. In fact I thinlk the pci-e slot on my mothyerboard has problems, and the agp slot works fine.

Also, the HD3870 does not work neart as well as the ATI Radeon 2900 pro video cards. The performance is not near as good.

btw, the DH3870 Sapphire sent me as a replacemne tis their cheap ass version. A really crap version, not their good version. Not sure if that has antyhing to do with it. It just pissed me off I sent them my Radeon 2900 Pro with dual slot cooling for this HD3870 neutered video card.

Next year it's time for new computer, I can't deal with this pos. it worked great and kicked butt but for one year then soemthing went bad.. maybe the Asrock $60.00 mb is not good for long, or thye combo of video cards is touchy, or the fact it's a dual video card agp/pci-e slot, with pci-e @4x,, but soemthing is wrong... as having All catalyst drivers not working correctly with tearing and artifacts,, and having to read hours of forums and trying all these tricks to get it to run correctly...

I have no clue about the 4x00 series of ATI video cards runs on this Asrock but the 3x000 series seems to be buggy.. according to what I am reading in forums...

I am not blaming any anyone, it's possible some part went bad and computers do that.. I am kicking myself for accepting the HD3870 in the RMA. But, the 2900 Pro problem left me with only two choices the video card or the motherboard... maybe I chose the wrong part to replace.. not even sure how long the warranty is ont he motherboard but I bet it's not 2 years or more..

Originally posted by: ANGELo

thanks very much

vixensjlin

Mar 30, 2008
Hey good news about hard drives on Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Rev1(with BIOS 2.10a&4GB DDR2+E1200+FX5700/AGP)

I put TWO Seagate 1.5T on it (ST31500341AS and ST31500343AS), and both of them work simultaneously in non-raid mode, I didn't tried raid mode. For those who are in need of more space, just go!

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
@SKKS

Have you tried with another drive and/or drive cable? Not sure beyond that what to try other than actually clear the CMOS with the jumper.

AuxPwrUsr

Jul 22, 2009
The 4Gb problem: Earlier I wrote that Windows 7-64 saw all 4Gb of Memory. That was a mistake, as I got that information by looking at the CPU-Z memory information tab. It's 3.25Gb.

Well, here's is a weird like thing: Yesterday, the 3.25 Gb of memory ceased to work. The black screen appeared, computer failing to post. Back to a single 2Gb stick and all is semi-well. OK, This is frustrating.

The FIX: Replaced original CMOS 2032 battery for a new one. My guess is that I cleared the CMOS a little more than I should have by shorting the jumper, and the battery finally failed. Or else it be some VIA voodoo. Who knows...Anyways, that battery is important.

Zeppelin Heaven

Oct 15, 2008
I flashed my 775Dual-VSTA BIOS to 3.19a through Winflasher 4.22.

My ATI HD 4890 is working better, but now I have the bad CMOS checksum problem!

I change the BIOS settings, but it never saves them.