Ask me your photography questions!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny

I use a Canon Rebel XT with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.8 mkII, Tamron 180mm, Sigma 50-500mm, and Sigma 10-20mm

That's in your sig. Let me recommend a much better lens (though a shorter zoom range) than the 50-500. The Sigma (also sold by Ritz rebadged as a Quantaray) 70-300 DL runs around $100. And it's an outstanding lens. Even sharper than the APO version that costs $250-300. Very slightly more chromatic aberration, but unnoticable except for extremely high contrast images. Like taking a photo of stadium lights. It worked perfectly for the surfing photography I used to do, including sunrise stuff. Back when I used a Minolta 7xi and 500si. (I'm all manual focus now, though.)

EDIT: Clarified "better".

Oh no, I'm not giving up my Bigma anytime soon :)

I've used the 70-300mm before and it wasn't too bad. The Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super is a great lens for $100.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

I use a Canon Rebel XT with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.8 mkII, Tamron 180mm, Sigma 50-500mm, and Sigma 10-20mm

That's in your sig. Let me recommend a much better lens (though a shorter zoom range) than the 50-500. The Sigma (also sold by Ritz rebadged as a Quantaray) 70-300 DL runs around $100. And it's an outstanding lens. Even sharper than the APO version that costs $250-300. Very slightly more chromatic aberration, but unnoticable except for extremely high contrast images. Like taking a photo of stadium lights. It worked perfectly for the surfing photography I used to do, including sunrise stuff. Back when I used a Minolta 7xi and 500si. (I'm all manual focus now, though.)

EDIT: Clarified "better".

Oh no, I'm not giving up my Bigma anytime soon :)

I've used the 70-300mm before and it wasn't too bad. The Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super is a great lens for $100.

Where are you finding the apo for $100?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix
how is the sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6?

would it be a good pair to a tamron 28-75 f/2.8?

It's a great lens, although the lens caps are really hard to get on and off when the hood is on.

It's very sharp at f/8 but at around f/16 and below it really starts to show some diffraction, which kills the sharpness. This is unfortunate because a LOT of people use their wides at very small apertures to maximize depth of field.

The Sigma 10-20mm is probably one of the most affordable, relatively, ultra-wides.

One thing that I wish it had was a constant f/4 aperture, like the Tokina 12-24mm.

It would certainly be a good pair with the Tamron 28-75mm.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

That's my plan. :) Already got the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, looking actively for a Sigma 10-20mm currently. Then later on, a Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L for the long zoom range.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006

Where are you finding the apo for $100?

Used baby! :p

Although to be fair it's hard to find this lens being sold as used. Most lenses that are sold used are usually the more expensive ones.

The new price of the APO is a little under $200.

I've bought all of my lenses used from FredMiranda's Buy/Sell forums, saving me substantial amounts of money.

maximus maximus

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2004
Originally posted by: maximus maximus
Are you a guy or a girl?

I'm a baby bunny! Yay!!!!!!!

*pats da' maximus on the head*

Are you a baby bunny with a penis or without a penis? :D
BTW, I edited my post.. Had a question for ya.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Are you a guy or a girl?

Male. I think you've got like 8 different personalities.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: yllus

That's my plan. :) Already got the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, looking actively for a Sigma 10-20mm currently. Then later on, a Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L for the long zoom range.

Good plan :)

The 70-200mm f/4L is a nice lens. Very smooth, excellent construction, and very light weight. The lens hood is a pain to get on though because the hood threads are so thin. The sharpness is definitely better than regular consumer zooms, but can't nearly match the sharpness of a prime.

I would highly recommend getting a cheap prime for low light work, something like the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Excellent sharpness at around $50 used and $70 new, very light, and will save your but when the light starts to get dim.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
should i 'rent' the rebel XT from target to see how i like it?

what do fuzzy baby bunnies eat?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Aflac
Are you a guy or a girl?

Male. I think you've got like 8 different personalities.

OMG strawberries!

*stuffs cheeks with strawberries then asplodes from cuteness overload*

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
should i 'rent' the rebel XT from target to see how i like it?

Uhhhhh... no :(

You may be able to rent one from a camera store though. SLRs are a big investment if you start getting serious, mainly due to the lenses but also due to other things like beefier tripods, beefier ballheads, battery grips, an external flash, an off-camera cord for that external flash, etc.

If you can, I'd actually recommend a 20D. Better menus and larger and brighter viewfinder, among other things. Or wait for the 400D (XTi) to come out and really drop the prices on the XTs.

EDIT: I feed on strawberries, bwackberries, carrots, lettuce, and LOVE! :) OMG Yay!!!

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: yllus

Good plan :)

The 70-200mm f/4L is a nice lens. Very smooth, excellent construction, and very light weight. The lens hood is a pain to get on though because the hood threads are so thin. The sharpness is definitely better than regular consumer zooms, but can't nearly match the sharpness of a prime.

I would highly recommend getting a cheap prime for low light work, something like the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Excellent sharpness at around $50 used and $70 new, very light, and will save your but when the light starts to get dim.
Oh, whoops. I forgot to mention I have that lens as well, and the 18-55mm kit lens for the hell of it - it's not so bad when stopped down to f8 or more. I'm not crazy about its focal range though, nor the stepper motor that seems to always catch me right in between what would be the proper focus point.

You know what I cringe at with the Rebel XT (other than it being too small for my hands)? No spot metering. But I get by through zooming on the Tamron past 70mm and using partial metering mode, same effect.

Brentx

Jun 15, 2005
Now, I am a beginning phottgrapher, and I want to get into the world of DSLR's. I have had my mind set on the Nikon D50 for a while, but now that I look at it, the Rebel XT is looking like a better choice for the extra money.

The reason I am starting to take Canon's side is because of their lenses. They have that neat USM branding, which I hear can beat Nikon's Nikkor lenses. Also, if I start to take my hobby a bit more serious, I would want to have upgradability available to me, and Canon looks like that is the best route.

Which would you recommend?

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
If you go with the Minolta (errr... Sony) DSLR bodies, you get in camera IS instead of in lens.

What does that mean?

ANY compatible lens will become an IS lens!

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Brentx
Now, I am a beginning phottgrapher, and I want to get into the world of DSLR's. I have had my mind set on the Nikon D50 for a while, but now that I look at it, the Rebel XT is looking like a better choice for the extra money.

The reason I am starting to take Canon's side is because of their lenses. They have that neat USM branding, which I hear can beat Nikon's Nikkor lenses. Also, if I start to take my hobby a bit more serious, I would want to have upgradability available to me, and Canon looks like that is the best route.

Depends on what you're shooting. Focus speed is nice but AF isn't practical or even functional in all situations. Precision trumps speed. As far as actual optical quality goes, Nikon's lenses don't slouch (plus they do offer AF-S models which are the equivalent of USM).

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
If you go with the Minolta (errr... Sony) DSLR bodies, you get in camera IS instead of in lens.

What does that mean?

Pentax too. . .I'm saving my money for the new pentax dslr. . .

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000

What does that mean?

Ah but is it practical? VR/IS/in-camera anti-shake works great for stills, but whenever your subject is moving . . .

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: virtuamike

What does that mean?

Ah but is it practical? VR/IS/in-camera anti-shake works great for stills, but whenever your subject is moving . . .

I rented a 7d for a day when it first came out. I was VERY impressed with the IS. Even when driving.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Brentx

Well... I would personally go with the XT if you're comparing it to the D50, body for body. As for the lens lineup, both brands have about the same extensive lineup, and don't forget the 3rd party manufacturors like Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina, who make their lenses in both Nikon and Canon mount, as well as other mounts. Whatever brand you choose, I wouldn't worry about lens upgradeability because both are very extensive.

As for USM versus Nikon's autofocus tech, both are quite fast. I'm not sure just HOW much better Canon's is versus Nikon's, as I've never used Nikon's, so you may have to ask someone else on this.

DurocShark also had a good point with Pentax and Sony's DSLRs having built-in IS, so every lens has IS. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make mounts for these also, so the lens lineups are still extensive.

The choice is up to you. There are a lot of good options out there. I personally don't think Canon will come out with a body with built-in IS anytime soon, as this would cut into their own market for Canon IS lenses.