[Ashraf] 10nm "Lakefield" SoC with Intel big + little cores

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
One thing I don't really understand. Why going big little style? Let's say for hypothetical 1 big 1 little core compared to a dual core of the same architecture CPU with 1 core with transistors optimized for let's say 1.6 GHz max frequency and 1 core with transistors that can run up to 4 GHz? Is the power savings gained from in order architecture that much compared to out of order architecture?
Tremont is not in-order. They moved to out of order in 2013. It's a fairly wide architecture with performance similar to Ivy Bridge.

The way you are suggesting would result in crap multi-threaded performance. Lakefield has 4 Tremont cores for that.

Also the quad Tremont core cluster takes up roughly the same size as a single Sunny Cove core.

How much I/O is integrated into Lakefield that is not in Renoir, but rather in a separate southbridge chip?
I don't know about I/O, they might be similar since Renoir has integrated PCH functions. But Lakefield also has PoP memory which has to be part of TDP and will take up at least 1W.

ASK THE COMMUNITY