Artist starves dog for exhibit

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
Capt, do you support the death penalty?

Yes

I just know people who'd be really to take the life of a human that would kill an animal, but not a murderer. It's a weird paradox.

that paradox is usually portrayed by anti-animal rights people.

Logically someone pro-animal rights would not be a freaking looney and say they'd barge in with an AK-47 and level all those humans nor would they call for a death sentence in only animal cruelity cases.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
What I haven't heard is what the point of this exhibit was? I wouldn't be surprised to hear some stupidity like "I did it to further animal rights" or something - it's hard to fathom that this would be done sheerly for the spectacle. I guess I could start up the ol' googler...

I'm betting he thought if he starved he dog to death and garnered a huge, proactive public outcry and movement against his act, it would show how people are willing to do that for a dog but not willing to do that for the millions of people starving around the world, perhaps even in his own country.

It would be a bad argument though as the outcry from doing the same thing to a human would FAR exceed this poor dog's support.

It's like my post above, people do the same thing with abortion vs pro-life.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: alkemyst
It would be a bad argument though as the outcry from doing the same thing to a human would FAR exceed this poor dog's support.

That's not the point. The point is that people are already starving. Assuming that's his point at all, I don't know.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've never made a death threat on someone, but if I ever see Guillermo Habacuc Vargas I will have to seriously consider beating him to death.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

The obvious way to handle this is to chain this dumbass to a wall and withhold food and water for the sake of art.

Sounds good to me.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
This guy is pretty sick. How is starving a dog art? Its cruel, plain and simple. Its also hard to believe that no one at the exhibit had the balls to do anything. Had it been me, I would have freed and fed the dog, and beat the tar out of the 'artist'.

Jun 27, 2005

The obvious way to handle this is to chain this dumbass to a wall and withhold food and water for the sake of art.

He just let it die?

In that case I disagree... The obvious way to handle this is to beat the ever lovin' shit out of the 'artist' while withholding food and water (and antibiotics). What an asshole.

Now for the next question... why didn't anyone cut the dog loose? There is no way I could have seen an exhibit like that and left the dog there. No way.

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I can't stand how tings that are vile, disgusting, and offensive can hide under the guidelines of "art" and are somehow given a reprieve or an excuse. Not that it is anywhere near the same thing, but the crucifix in a cup of urine, WTF is the matter with these so-called "artists"?

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Where do I sign to make this happen?

KT

QFT

MJ

For the first time EVER I'm with ya... but this guy needs a slug to the head.

Who's with me?

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Ironic how a thread about starving dog to death gets a distorted outpouring of feigned sympathy and comparisons to human suffering, but another thread about cats running loose on property turns into a giant lets kill all the cats thread crap by a lot of posters.

Cat thief steals neighbors cats due to severe mental problems

I just fail to see any course of logical reasoning here that can explain to me the difference between overwhelming sympathy for a starving dog, in Nicaragua, of all places, where kids drop dead in the streets of starvation, and on the other hand virtually no sympathy for someones pet cat wandering innocently on someones property and being fair game to get killed by some psycho property owner who hates cats.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
Ironic how a thread about starving dog to death gets a distorted outpouring of feigned sympathy and comparisons to human suffering, but another thread about cats running loose on property turns into a giant lets kill all the cats thread crap by a lot of posters.

Cat thief steals neighbors cats due to severe mental problems

I just fail to see any course of logical reasoning here that can explain to me the difference between overwhelming sympathy for a starving dog, in Nicaragua, of all places, where kids drop dead in the streets of starvation, and on the other hand virtually no sympathy for someones pet cat wandering innocently on someones property and being fair game to get killed by some psycho property owner who hates cats.

Well to say there is none is wrong, as I'd be one of the people saying there are many options rather than just killing an animal. However; many are either just talk or seem to have mental issues and think because they own a gun it gives them rights to use it anyway they see fit.