Ars Rips on intel with KL review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Disable HT on an i3 and compare some well threaded games...
(or just use affinity to restrict the game to two cores)
you will get double the FPS with HT working,cache and clockspeeds are just the gravy.

I briefly tried finding some benchmarks on this but it seemed even tougher than searching for the same with i5. I did see a set of data in German that suggested this was true, although I can't read German graphs particularly well. Its kind of weird it doesn't apply the same way to an i7 though assuming those results are valid.

I would like to see some tests on all of these cases from bigger sites though. A guy on a forum and a German article from a website I've never heard of aren't the best sources I suppose.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
The real point is, how long will Kaby Lake Pentiums be available while <$150 RyZen is not? I'm guessing.

Fixed, and that will probably take longer than you think.

Besides anybody really thinks people who buy a $60 chip is looking for bleeding edge CPU performance to begin with? They will hit GPU bottlenecks long before the Pentium even for gaming.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I briefly tried finding some benchmarks on this but it seemed even tougher than searching for the same with i5. I did see a set of data in German that suggested this was true, although I can't read German graphs particularly well. Its kind of weird it doesn't apply the same way to an i7 though assuming those results are valid.

I would like to see some tests on all of these cases from bigger sites though. A guy on a forum and a German article from a website I've never heard of aren't the best sources I suppose.
It's not weird because most games only run 4 demanding threads* ,so the i3 is the perfect candidate it has to share 4 threads on two cores without HT ~halving the performance while it is able to run 4 threads on 4 logical cores with HT.
Game threads are not like benchmarking threads, they are made to run on jaguar cores they are much lighter/less demanding so they fit neatly within HT/logical cores.

The i7 is too powerfull even without HT to show much difference,it needs games that do scale well above 4 cores and there are very few of those around and even in those most of the times the difference only get's apparent in the in build benches.

* consoles have two separate apus,main work is being done only one one of them because the other one runs the OS so threads on that one have a penalty.