[Ars] AMD confirms high-end Polaris GPU will be released in 2016

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
The fact that Apple A9X which is a 147 sq mm SoC is manufactured at TSMC 16FF+ instead of 14 LPP. The other reason is TSMC seems to have won 100% of next gen A10/A10X production. TSMC also confidently stated they will have almost 70% FINFET foundry market share in 2016. This points to strong customer adoption/demand for what is the best foundry FINFET process in terms of yields and electrical characteristics.

This is true and valid points, but you are ignoring the fact that all things being equal, Apple does NOT want to finance or provide economies of scale to their largest competitor to their largest margin and largest volume product, the iPhone. Compared to 2014, 2015 saw the Galaxy S6 make headway due to a much more competitive product in the eyes of consumers.

I believe Apple only resorted to Samsung for the A9 because TSMC was not ready with their next gen process.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It is unexpected, when you consider the die sizes.

That's a lot more denser than we were told and more than the usual 2x.

He could be talking about a product that's not Polaris 11 though. If they had Fiji+ performance from Polaris 11 (and Polaris 11 is going to be released relatively soon), why would they bother releasing Fury X2?

littleg

Jul 9, 2015
Maybe it's only got 16MB :D

edit: 16MB cache maybe? Seems ridiculously big for a GPU though

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hmmm....Kind of seems like a double edged sword question and reply.

The optimist would consider it as being Polaris.

The pessimist would consider it as being a rebrand.

Based on alleged release date of the Lenovo in question one would have to lean towards a rebrand without more facts.

In one of the recent articles I think about new Asus laptops in the comments Ryan said it's a rebrand. So very certain it is a rebrand.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I don't get it, everyone is referencing Hook's tweet and only focusing on the 8-6 part.

> @GFXChipTweeter As I've told you 16 million times, nothing less than the 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide-infused Carolina Reaper will do...

What about the "16 million" part?https://twitter.com/GChip

8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide is capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot sauce. Pure cap is 16M scoville units, which is the defacto "Heat Rating" for peppers. Raja and Chris Hook have been tweeting back and forth about hot sauces and curry for over a month.
https://twitter.com/GChip/with_replies

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide is capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot sauce. Pure cap is 16M scoville units, which is the defacto "Heat Rating" for peppers. Raja and Chris Hook have been tweeting back and forth about hot sauces and curry for over a month.

forumites so desperate for info that they're taking comments about hot sauce and applying it to video cards. Cringeworthy.

as9hW

Apr 9, 2015

Thanks for the context.

Headfoot said:
forumites so desperate for info that they're taking comments about hot sauce and applying it to video cards. Cringeworthy.

It's all part of the fun. Please don't threadcrap.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I love to TT in which Hook says that Curries that they(Hook and Raja) eat could fuel the car :D

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

AMD has been dropping coded info for awhile now. See all the tweets based on their star naming and how it relates to their hardware. Why would you think they are just really passionate about hot sauce when they intermingle it with video game specific references?

https://twitter.com/GChip/status/700076659546796035
Chris Hook ‏@GChip Feb 17
@GFXChipTweeter Someone told me GDC is looking kind of bland this year. I think we need some Capsaicin to spice things up a bit.....

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
AMD has been dropping coded info for awhile now. See all the tweets based on their star naming and how it relates to their hardware. Why would you think they are just really passionate about hot sauce when they intermingle it with video game specific references?

https://twitter.com/GChip/status/700076659546796035

Yeah, I could see them having some pepper based branding or code names for the next gen. The stretch would be trying to assign performance (16M transistors? 8.6Tflops?) based on the physical properties of capsaicin.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Yeah, I could see them having some pepper based branding or code names for the next gen. The stretch would be trying to assign performance (16M transistors? 8.6Tflops?) based on the physical properties of capsaicin.

Exactly.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Welps, the hype is going full throttle. This concept of using peppers to make reference to hardware numbers is interesting.

Sign me up! I got an aging Kepler card that needs replacing!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
You need to be fully qualified and licensed to drive the hype train. Unfortunately, AMD has taken it off the rails one too many times and had its license revoked!

Cautious optimism would be in order from its fanbase.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
You need to be fully qualified and licensed to drive the hype train. Unfortunately, AMD has taken it off the rails one too many times and had its license revoked!

Cautious optimism would be in order from its fanbase.

It always is. It's a shame too, a full 4 GB of overclocker's dream async compute would be awesome.