News ARMv8.6-A announcement

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
ARMv8.6-A was just announced, and not with SVE2 or TME attached.

Obviously this could still just mean that those 2 things are going to be entirely optional, but I'm still holding out hope for a hypothetical v9.0-A to push A64 forward.

The announcement includes the language "as soon as the hardware becomes available in a few years’ time" so I wouldn't expect A78 to use v8.6-A either.

Reactions: krumme

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
hopefully SVE2 is baseline for that
I hope so too, it won't be needed for AV1 on 2022 SoC's I'd wager, but it will help for VVC if not yet ASIC'd by 2021, and likely AV2 soon after, given the flurry of activity on the AOM experimental code repository seems to point to a sooner than later release for that.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Links and screenshots please oh mighty ones!
There is also linkedin;
➢ Micro-architect and RTL designer for load-store unit of next-generation ARMv9 core
➢ Micro-architect and RTL designer for asynchronous bridges, clock, reset, and low power management unit of next-generation ARMv9 cores
➢ v9 Architecture
➢ Cortex-A products based on ARMv8-A and future ARMv9-A architectures :
- test planning throughout the entire development life from early investigations to product release,
- lead and develop the test-bench,
- low level RTL traces debugging,
- collaboration with international teams.
➢ Lead for ARM's v9 & v8.x Architecture based System IPs responsible for bring up compute Sub-System targeted for Enterprise/Automotive platforms with ARM latest System and FuSa IPs such as
* Cache Coherent Interconnect (CCI)
* System Memory Management Unit (SMMU)
* Generic Interrupt Controller (GIC)
* Non-Coherent Interconnect (NoC)

➢ ARMv9, ARMv8 AArch64/AArch32 & ARMv7 Architecture <== Qualcomm appears to be first non-ARM.

Nvm samsung is in it too
➢ ARMv7, v8 & v9 architecture, LITTLE.big architecture, DSU-based FCM(Flexible Cluster Microarchitecture)

Reactions: soresu

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
DSU-based FCM(Flexible Cluster Microarchitecture)
Sounds suspiciously like Bulldozer and FlexFPU, though the DSU nomenclature would suggest its merely DynamiQ related.
ARMv9, ARMv8 AArch64/AArch32 & ARMv7 Architecture <== Qualcomm appears to be first non-ARM.
Given Qualcomm has used ARM's licensable cores since SD 835, I would take it on principle that this is merely SoC engineering and not full uArch work, possibly with minor adjustments - ARM seems very on the ball to the point that designing a fully custom core is hardly worth the effort (for US companies that is, for foreign ones after this trade war I would say the implementation security that custom cores bring is worth it).

Last edited:

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Sounds suspiciously like Bulldozer and FlexFPU, though the DSU nomenclature would suggest its merely DynamiQ related.
DSU being DynamIQ Shared Unit (DSU) was originally called FCM, Flexible Cluster Microarchitecture. In ARM documentation, so it is indeed DynamiQ-related.
txtofdsu.png

The exact text from Cortex-A75 revision 2: "Product name changed from FCM, Flexible Cluster Microarchitecture, to DSU, Dynamic Shared Unit™."

Reactions: soresu