Armed Woman Intervenes, Prevents Mass Murder

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yep, a million dead children a year due to abortions. Lots and lots and lots of dead children. Thank God the USSC has finally done something.

Fertilized eggs are not people. Even red states don’t allow declaring a person on your taxes when an egg gets fertilized. Your entire position is bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
ARs do do something better than others. Hint: it's why our soldiers and marines aren't using bolt action rimfire to engage targets.

Assault rifles facilitate assault better than other designs, but if you know of a different type of handheld weapon that can put accurate fire downrange in a short amount of time, please do contact DoD.

Edit: Nm I forgot, SIG won the 6.8 contest just now. So technically there is a better option over the M4/HK416s for riflemen now. Mea culpa.
FWIW the new weapon's magazines hold less ammo (I think because it's heavier) so technically not better depending on your needs. I'm sure civilian versions will probably eventually end having larger aftermarket mags like the ar-15 unless they are regulated. Also the ammo will cost more money. If you want to shoot further and/or do more damage then the new rifle might be better.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So some quick questions for the arm the teachers crowd:
  • What type of gun do they get? Hand gun vs AR seems problematic
  • What type of rounds is the teacher armed with? Armor piercing is good for body armor but a missed shot will penetrate walls putting other students at risk
  • Are the teachers trained in how to fire the weapon or do we just provide them and say good luck?
  • Who determines the rules of engagement for the teachers?
  • How are the weapons secured in the classroom? Lockbox? Required to worn at all time by the teacher?
  • How do you train the teacher to simultaneously view the students as students, as potential victims, and potential lethal threats?
  • How much tax payer money will go for these mitigations so gun owners can continue to enjoy owing arms? Or do we require the cost of the ammo, weapons, and training to come out of the teacher pockets?
I think a lot of you have this narrative in your head of the hero teacher (yourself?) grabbing a handgun from the desk and hitting the armed and armored school shooter center of mass and then a head shot on the first two tries.

A lot of questions need answering to arm teachers. Also insurance companies they would have to drop school districts because costs would be too high

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
Maybe regulate by spec not model since these can be modified. Maybe limits on caliber, velocity, magazine size and rounds/sec

Now you're getting it. Unfortunately the sad reality is in the case of say the Uvalde shooting, that kid could have got away with the same result using a pistol.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
See above

I agree the armed teacher idea will be killed by insurance companies even if it's allowed by law. There will be like 5 in the entire country.
Still don't think it's a bad bluff to call tho

Jul 9, 2009
I agree the armed teacher idea will be killed by insurance companies even if it's allowed by law. There will be like 5 in the entire country.
You'd be wrong of course. The Guardian Program has existed in Texas for years. Unfortunately not by the Uvalde ISD.

Over 217 ISDs in Texas participate, no telling if it would have helped, but it certainly wouldn't have made anything worse.

Jul 9, 2009
Fertilized eggs are not people. Even red states don’t allow declaring a person on your taxes when an egg gets fertilized. Your entire position is bullshit

A DNA check would disagree with you. Biologists agree that life begins at conception. Politics don't, but politics are subject to change. 1,000,000 abortions of life per year estimated. 1,000,000 per year.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Except it did because you admitted to not knowing the differences. Both same caliber and semi auto. You complained about only AR15s when in reality there are many rifles that are not AR that are just as capable.
The problem with your gotcha bullshit is that it's an immediate indication you're not having a discussion in good faith. Of course there are plenty of folks who do not have a good grasp on firearm technology, but if you're someone purporting to be an expert (or at least well versed), you should be able to apply that knowledge to understand the discussion in context. But you don't, instead you become pedantic and try to make the discussion about gun knowledge.

What is someone saying when they say ban "assault rifles?" They're talking about limiting access to weapons that make mass murder easy, semi automatics with high capacity magazines, etc. You know that, you could use that as a place to have a discussion, but instead you sit back and rant because low gun knowledge folks can't often tell the difference between semi autos and bolt action rifles, for example.

As someone who spends much of his professional life explaining things to people that they simply don't understand properly, I find your approach incredibly dishonest.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
A DNA check would disagree with you.

No, it wouldn't, becasue no one uses "DNA checks" to check anything but DNA.

Biologists agree that life begins at conception.

Nope, they sure don't. More complete horseshit from you, shocking.

Politics don't, but politics are subject to change.

That's just lazy.

1,000,000 abortions of life per year estimated. 1,000,000 per year.

Estimated by who? CDC numbers are only current to 2019 and it's only 42 states I think. 625k. Just flip the same DGAF switch you did about 1 million Americans dying of covid. Problem solved. Your penchant for lying and treason make every post of yours laughable. You understand no one takes you seriously, right? You're a bad joke, probably time you were in on it.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Why isn't it killed by common sense? We have cops who are unwilling to confront psycho murderers while wearing body armor, armed to the teeth, and outnumbering the assailant 19 to 1. But if Mrs. Phillips in 6th grade English has a Glock she's going to go John Wick and save everybody?

The people without years of weapons training and who can't be trusted with course planning or what's in the school library?

*face palm*

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
Nope, they sure don't. More complete horseshit from you, shocking.

Estimated by who? CDC numbers are only current to 2019 and it's only 42 states I think. 625k. Just flip the same DGAF switch you did about 1 million Americans dying of covid. Problem solved. Your penchant for lying and treason make every post of yours laughable. You understand no one takes you seriously, right? You're a bad joke, probably time you were in on it.

"A recent five-year research study has revealed that an overwhelming majority of biologists from 1,058 academic institutions confirm that “a human’s life begins at fertilization.”

The shocking part is you didn't even bother to look it up. You dumbshit.

• Haha

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

"A recent five-year research study has revealed that an overwhelming majority of biologists from 1,058 academic institutions confirm that “a human’s life begins at fertilization.”

The shocking part is you didn't even bother to look it up. You dumbshit.

As no one should be surprised taj's first link is to the following:

"Liberty Counsel® is an international nonprofit litigation, education, and policy organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom, the sanctity of life ... "

An anti abortion think tank.

And his second link is from this guy:

"Steven Andrew Jacobs. Steve has been the program director of Illinois Right to Life since August of 2019. Prior to his current role, Steve graduated with his law degree from Northwestern University School of Law and PhD from the University of Chicago."

And fundamentally the author ignores the point that while every person started life as a fertilized egg not every fertilized egg becomes a person.

So more cherry picked propaganda which he hoped no one would bother to investigate

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

"Liberty Counsel® is an international nonprofit litigation, education, and policy organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom, the sanctity of life ... "

"Steven Andrew Jacobs. Steve has been the program director of Illinois Right to Life since August of 2019. Prior to his current role, Steve graduated with his law degree from Northwestern University School of Law and PhD from the University of Chicago."

And fundamentally the author ignores the point that while every person started life as a fertilized egg not every fertilized egg becomes a person.

So more cherry picked propaganda which he hoped no one would bother to investigate
There never is a need to investigate what @imported_tajmahal posts. He lies about everything and his sources are always shit.

Jul 9, 2009

Both were published papers, no surprise you lie about the findings.

• Haha

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
I think perhaps Taj is trying to derail the topic to abortion so he can virtue signal that he's a compassionate guy and a really caring father figure but has mistaken this forum for a single christian mothers support group and hopes his signalling will get him laid.
I have been wrong before, however.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A DNA check would disagree with you. Biologists agree that life begins at conception. Politics don't, but politics are subject to change. 1,000,000 abortions of life per year estimated. 1,000,000 per year.
Show a link where a plurality of biologists state fertilized eggs are people. If you remember your basic biology a woman is not pregnant until a fertilized egg implants itself on the uterine wall. Conception happens BEFORE that.

If Republicans so firmly believe fertilized eggs are people why don't those states allow a person exemption for women or couples whenever an egg is fertilized in a given tax year?

There are many "forms of life" we determine don't merit the status of a person.

Republicans only care about life when they can't control it being born. Once that happens you people don't give a fuck. You've proven that time and time again.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Are you willing to pay more in taxes to support a million more children per year?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Both were published papers, no surprise you lie about the findings.
Really?

Which journal was your second link published in? Because SSRN isn’t a publisher.

About SSRN:

The SSRN, formerly known as Social Science Research Network, is a repository for preprints devoted to the rapid dissemination of scholarly research in the social sciences

What’s a preprint you ask?

In academic publishing, a preprint is a version of a scholarly or scientific paper that precedes formal peer review and publication in a peer-reviewed scholarly or scientific journal. The preprint may be available, often as a non-typeset version available free, before or after a paper is published in a journal.

Plus your first link is just a story about the paper in the second link. So “both“ of what were published? Nothing as far as I can tell.

Reactions: soundforbjt

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hard for me to argue with this, even if I do think an AK makes a good hog gun you can get dirty fuhgettaboutit. Good thing lever actions are fun.

HtWbd2i.jpeg

Sorry America, as long as repugs control or can obstruct government, your children (and other innocents) will be regularly sacrificed on the alter of Battle Rifles = Man Card. We're talking a group intertwined politically with a nationalistic evangelical cult of sacrifice (see John 3:16). This is barter they understand and they're ok with the exchange rate.

Insane to think how out of step they are with the public. Almost 90% of America is for universal background checks no exceptions. Personally, I think 21 is still too young, should be more like 25 for civilians. You want to play with guns sooner, off to the military you go. Commit domestic violence and lose access to guns forever. Straw purchase gets you immediate prison time. The lawful acquisition of a firearm should result in that piece being inextricably linked to your name and you are responsible for whatever action it is involved in unless it is appropriately transferred or destroyed.

My views have hardened on this topic since I became a dad. It's cost me some shooting buddies. I don't care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsinni Dave