Armed Woman Intervenes, Prevents Mass Murder

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The problem is if you're going to propose legislation against specific firearms, you must be specific and technical. In your opinion, which of the two attached firearms should be included and why?
View attachment 62423View attachment 62424

Good thing it's not my job to know the difference and to pick which one(s) get banned, right?

And, I'm just gonna take a guess and say you're trying to trick me to say the "scary" looking one on the right, when the more "basic" one on the left is the same and/or has more penis enlarging power.

Your point sucks since MANY guns and weapons have already been outlawed. So it clearly can (and should) be done even more. As the technology/weaponry advances, so should our laws around them. When railguns and star wars laser guns become common place, are we just going to allow anyone 18 year old to go pick one of those up too?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yep, a million dead children a year due to abortions. Lots and lots and lots of dead children. Thank God the USSC has finally done something.

You sick nasty fucks don't care about children. You don't give a shit about providing healthcare to a single pregnant mom or the child when it is born, nor for affordable daycare and housing for that single mom with the kid, or good wages for her and flexible hours. You are so fucking fake it makes me want to puke. It's disgusting.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The problem is if you're going to propose legislation against specific firearms, you must be specific and technical. In your opinion, which of the two attached firearms should be included and why?
View attachment 62423View attachment 62424
You seem confused by that picture you posted. You do understand what those two weapons are don’t you?

Your lack of knowledge about weapons means we can’t take your position seriously until you get educated about them.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You seem confused by that picture you posted. You do understand what those two weapons are don’t you?

Your lack of knowledge about weapons means we can’t take your position seriously until you get educated about them.

Since he's likley never going to respond, is the answer "they're the same gun"? I'm dying to know what his attempt was...
Was he trying to outfox me?

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
Good thing it's not my job to know the difference and to pick which one(s) get banned, right?

And, I'm just gonna take a guess and say you're trying to trick me to say the "scary" looking one on the right, when the more "basic" one on the left is the same and/or has more penis enlarging power.

Your lack of knowledge on firearms means you shouldn't be spouting what should or shouldn't be regulated when you have no idea what they are or are not capable of.

Strange deflection. I know exactly what I posted. Do you? I'll wait...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Your lack of knowledge on firearms means you shouldn't be spouting what should or shouldn't be regulated when you have no idea what they are or are not capable of.

That makes zero sense at all. I'd agree with you if I was put in charge of which guns can and can't be sold. But I'm not (thank God, because you gun lovers would NOT like what I'd include).

So what was your point with those pictures?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

If you knew what you posted you wouldn’t have posted asking for someone to explain it to you unless you were trolling.

You aren’t a troll are you?

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
That makes zero sense at all. I'd agree with you if I was put in charge of which guns can and can't be sold. But I'm not (thank God, because you gun lovers would NOT like what I'd include).

So what was your point with those pictures?

Both rifles I posted are semi automatic, 22LR caliber rifles. One is an "AR style" and the other is a traditional wood stock long rifle. You could "ban ARs" and that would solve nothing. They pose the same potential threat in the hands of someone trying to commit a crime.
If you knew what you posted you wouldn’t have posted asking for someone to explain it to you unless you were trolling.

You aren’t a troll are you?
I wasn't asking for my benefit. Not trolling. Reason posted above.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Do you? No one is talking about banning rimfire. What schools got shot up with them?

Well, I don't lack knowledge in firearms, and find your input here pretty worthless, much like your example. People get injured and killed with .22s all the time, and you can get BX-25s (and others) for them as well so near standard AR mag capacity there. Yes there is difference in power/velocity, but that's really irrelevant in the context of a disturbed user bent on killing people. A person who shouldn't be able to buy an assault rifle for legitimate reasons shouldn't be able to buy a different rifle either, regardless of caliber or capacity.

Now I know some of the legislators in the past have lacked fluency in firearms, yes, but you seem more concerned with semantics than death tolls - I'd say that means you shouldn't be spouting off about what you consider solutions.

Wait, join date of right before the election, and then practically no posts since? Back for a gun control thread? Haha fuck off troll

Last edited:

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
Do you? No one is talking about banning rimfire. What schools got shot up with them?

Well, I don't lack knowledge in firearms, and find your input here pretty worthless, much like your example. People get injured and killed with .22s all the time, and you can get BX-25s (and others) for them as well so near standard AR mag capacity there. Yes there is difference in power/velocity, but that's really irrelevant in the context of a disturbed user bent on killing people. A person who shouldn't be able to buy an assault rifle for legitimate reasons shouldn't be able to buy a different rifle either, regardless of caliber or capacity.

You seem more concerned with terminology than death tolls - I'd say that means you shouldn't be spouting off about what you consider solutions.

Wait, join date of right before the election, and then practically no posts since? Haha fuck off troll
You claim you are knowledgeable on firearms then proceed to use the term "assault rifle." Thats all I need to know.
I'm here trying to provide substance to the discussion. If people want to see "action taken" then they need to understand what is a meaningful action and what is not.

It seems if someone is providing a counterpoint or view they're suddenly a troll?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Both rifles I posted are semi automatic, 22LR caliber rifles. One is an "AR style" and the other is a traditional wood stock long rifle. You could "ban ARs" and that would solve nothing. They pose the same potential threat in the hands of someone trying to commit a crime.

I wasn't asking for my benefit. Not trolling. Reason posted above.
I know. I’ve seen this gotcha post many times. I consider it trolling.
Your whole point is they are functionally equivalent but only the AR is “tacticool” and scary so unaware people want to regulate it. My personal position is since either weapon would be similarly devastating if used in a school shooting (magazine size being a potential difference), both should be more stringently regulated.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

So I was right and called your attempted "gotcha"? Not too hard or shocking.
That being said, I'm not just for banning "ARs" - regulate or even ban both these guns then. I 100% don't understand the point you think you made.

Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

You put the magazine in the clip with the stock on top of the barrel right?

Seriously GTFO with that bull shit ammosexual talking point.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You claim you are knowledgeable on firearms then proceed to use the term "assault rifle." Thats all I need to know.

ARs have become the rifle of choice for mass shootings, perhaps you noticed Buffalo and Uvalde? Current debate about gun control seems to revolve around them. Try to keep up. Note: there is nothing on the AR-22 pic to indicate it is chambered in .22 and not .223/5.56. You should try debating in good faith instead of trying to set people up with a gotcha. I expect readers would be more open to your position if you aren't trying to deceive them.

I'm here trying to provide substance to the discussion. If people want to see "action taken" then they need to understand what is a meaningful action and what is not.

It seems if someone is providing a counterpoint or view they're suddenly a troll?

You're here to repeat NRA talking points to non shooters, as well as tell them what they know apparently.

I think it's more of the offering of strawmen and well worn talking points that indicates it, but yes the curious stats of your account there don't do you any favors. Just kinda fell out of love with attempting those counter points when there were no elections inbound, right? Sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: iRONic and Homerboy

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
ARs have become the rifle of choice of mass shootings, perhaps you noticed Buffalo and Uvalde? Current debate about gun control seems to revolve around them. Try to keep up. Note: there is nothing on the AR-22 pic to indicate it that it is chambered in .22 and not .223/5.56. You should try debating in good faith instead of trying to set people up with a gotcha. I expect readers would be more open to your position if you aren't trying to deceive them.

You're here to repeat NRA talking points to non shooters, as well as tell them what they know apparently.

I think it's more of the offering of strawmen and well worn talking points that indicates it, but yes the curious stats of your account there doesn't do you any favors. Just fell out of love with attempting counter points when there were no elections upcoming I guess? Sure.
I was making the point that people uneducated in firearms make a lot of assumptions and assertions that are incorrect. These get repeated over and over and swell into a mob mentality. In the case of the AR, uninformed people think it stands for Assault Rifle when it does not. This is important because people have this misconception that the AR style rifles actually do something that others do not. It's simply not true. Knowing this is important if one wants to propose legitimate legislation or structure on firearms that will actually make a difference.
An easy analogy we can use is the law in regards to speed limits. We all know a Corvette can get up to and exceed the speed limit. But so can a Tesla, or many other cars. So is the solution to ban just the Corvette? Then a Tesla? No, of course not.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I was making the point that people uneducated in firearms make a lot of assumptions and assertions that are incorrect. *snipped for brevity*

Can you appreciate how utterly hilarious that is coming from someone who regurgitates the NRAs talking points on Chicago?

Surely the educated would use the greater crime levels in St. Louis or New Orleans as examples. Ah, but then those are in red states aren't they? Yeah can't have that.

Last edited:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
An easy analogy we can use is the law in regards to speed limits. We all know a Corvette can get up to and exceed the speed limit. But so can a Tesla, or many other cars. So is the solution to ban just the Corvette? Then a Tesla? No, of course not.
If there was a sudden surge of corvette drivers running over kids on school zones, I’d be behind calling a ban on them.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This is important because people have this misconception that the AR style rifles actually do something that others do not.

ARs do do something better than others. Hint: it's why our soldiers and marines aren't using bolt action rimfire to engage targets.

Assault rifles facilitate assault better than other designs, but if you know of a different type of handheld weapon that can put accurate fire downrange in a short amount of time, please do contact DoD.

Edit: Nm I forgot, SIG won the 6.8 contest just now. So technically there is a better option over the M4/HK416s for riflemen now. Mea culpa.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If "more gun laws" was the solution we wouldn't have any gun violence. But we do, so it isn't.

-kp

The problem I have with that simplistic take is not only is it debunked by the lack of mass shootings/gun fatalities elsewhere, this isn't a zero sum game damn it. We know eradicating forest fires is impossible, yet we still fight them when our communities are threatened. We try to make the landscape less flammable, we mandate fire safety in at risk areas and with building design. What do we have to do in order for some people to care about dead kids in school as much as they do about kids having to wear masks in school? Give us a solution to that, I am all fucking ears and be as technical and specific as you want.

Wait, does this mean you guys are giving up on the abortion rights suppression? Why fight abortion rights when women can get illegal ones something something?

Last edited:
Reactions: nakedfrog

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
Yeah that attempted "gotcha" post by him on me did not pan out as he planned.
Except it did because you admitted to not knowing the differences. Both same caliber and semi auto. You complained about only AR15s when in reality there are many rifles that are not AR that are just as capable.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo and iRONic