Arkham Knight

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Tagged for when I get home and can watch it...

This game is running pretty well for me, strangely.

It came free with a recently purchased 970 Strix (which I would have bought without the Batman offer).

970, 3470, 16GB, game installed on a WDBlack, at 1900x1200. I realized yesterday that the game had defaulted to all Gameworks options being *off*, so I switched them all *on* and expected the worst, but it didn't degrade performance in the least.

I get occasional short hitches, usually when doing the grapple launch move. No 1 second + pauses, Batmobile issues, memory leaks (that I've noticed, although I haven't monitored) or game breaking stuff...yet.
You can clearly tell the effects are not in the PC version. Just like total biscuit mentioned in his video. The difference is definitely noticeable until they fix the PC version.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
No, I go physical most of the time. I knew about the issues so when I went to pick it up I simply told them I want it on PS4 instead and still got all my pre-order bonuses.

We don't know the decision making process. For all we know Rocksteady is putting this on their shoulders when it was out of their hands. Remember, rocksteady didn't have this type of showing for Arkham City or Arkham Asylum. DX11 mode needed a few patches but it was more playable and included all the proper effects from day one.

Did you have Arkham City on launch? It was pretty damn broken as well do you not remember the save game bug that deleted saves? The frame rate issues? Being "more playable" Is like saying a car with 1 flat tire is "more driveable" than a car with 4 flat tires.

Also Origins is still a POS game with game breaking bugs, horrible chugging and fps drops even on very high end cards, and texture issues as well. No kewpie doll for you if you can guess who did the port on that game...

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I had Arkham City at launch and didn't really have any problems except when opening doors.

I do, however, remember that it launched with three layers of DRM. Games for Windows Live, SecuROM, Steamworks.

Edit: Oh yeah, I remember many of AC's problems stemming from their DX11 implementation. I didn't have a DX11-capable card at the time, so I didn't experience those problems.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Did you have Arkham City on launch? It was pretty damn broken as well do you not remember the save game bug that deleted saves? The frame rate issues? Being "more playable" Is like saying a car with 1 flat tire is "more driveable" than a car with 4 flat tires.

Also Origins is still a POS game with game breaking bugs, horrible chugging and fps drops even on very high end cards, and texture issues as well. No kewpie doll for you if you can guess who did the port on that game...

I did have it day one and never experienced any of that. The only issue was severe performance penalties with DX11 enabled.

I also never mentioned Origins, that was a 3rd party port as well. Asylum and City were not.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
I did have it day one and never experienced any of that. The only issue was severe performance penalties with DX11 enabled.

I also never mentioned Origins, that was a 3rd party port as well. Asylum and City were not.

Yeah just wanted to throw origins in since it was a WB game and that whatever galaxy company.

Same as this game though. AC was a broken mess for a LOT of people maybe not you specifically. I bet if we could have gotten refunds then it would have been similar to what we are seeing now. The GOTY edition AC works great as far as I can tell.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah just wanted to throw origins in since it was a WB game and that whatever galaxy company.

Same as this game though. AC was a broken mess for a LOT of people maybe not you specifically. I bet if we could have gotten refunds then it would have been similar to what we are seeing now. The GOTY edition AC works great as far as I can tell.

I forget what card I was using when Arkham city came out. Could have been my GTX 295.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
You can clearly tell the effects are not in the PC version. Just like total biscuit mentioned in his video. The difference is definitely noticeable until they fix the PC version.

Just watched the video...Good Googly Moogly...that is downright horrible. :(

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
One thing I like about this whole debacle is that it's a test case for why the Steam return policy was something consumers really needed. It's a big-budget, high-profile game that a lot of people were asking for refunds for. Someone was losing money fast that way, and had to put a stop to it. I doubt Arkham Knight would have been pulled from Steam if not for the refund policy.

More than that, this will stand to actually discourage developers from releasing broken PC ports in the future. They'll know to actually put the same effort in to making the game work that they do on consoles, lest they risk a flood of refund requests. A world with less Arkham Knights and Assassin's Creed Unity-s is on the horizon, my fellow PC gamers.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
One thing I like about this whole debacle is that it's a test case for why the Steam return policy was something consumers really needed. It's a big-budget, high-profile game that a lot of people were asking for refunds for. Someone was losing money fast that way, and had to put a stop to it. I doubt Arkham Knight would have been pulled from Steam if not for the refund policy.

More than that, this will stand to actually discourage developers from releasing broken PC ports in the future. They'll know to actually put the same effort in to making the game work that they do on consoles, lest they risk a flood of refund requests. A world with less Arkham Knights and Assassin's Creed Unity-s is on the horizon, my fellow PC gamers.

I would say, that on a corporate level, it puts PC games on a higher risk level. If we can get a refund that easily and then go buy it for PS4 or Xbone instead then what pressure is on them to make the PC version better? Just focus on the console and forget the PC.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If you get a refund on pc then immediately go out and buy it on console because you can and 'have to play it now', you have no one to blame but yourself. Anyone with some self control and self esteem would not do that. And yes, anyone who did that should feel insulted.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
It only justifies their decision to make the console version the primary version.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think what matters is they will fix it, weather you got a refund or not. Pc or console a sale is a sale. Had they not pulled the PC version from sales then there would be less pressure for them to do anything.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Yeah but it shows they have a good working DX 11 renderer on PC.

Arkham Knight must be using their own forked version of the engine.

Knight doesn't look THAT much better. Higher res textures and a few more shaders in place.

Nothing that justifies it running at 1/4 the framerate.

Last edited:

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
If you get a refund on pc then immediately go out and buy it on console because you can and 'have to play it now', you have no one to blame but yourself. Anyone with some self control and self esteem would not do that. And yes, anyone who did that should feel insulted.

I wholeheartedly agree. Sadly mose people are to focused on the instant gratification and lose the bigger war. And those small number of us who see it coming lose anyway.

I think what matters is they will fix it, weather you got a refund or not. Pc or console a sale is a sale. Had they not pulled the PC version from sales then there would be less pressure for them to do anything.

No thats not what matters. What matters is they learn to not do it again. But if we say that 1/3 sales came from XB1 1/3 from PS4 and 1/3 come from PC then even if every PC returns their copy they still make 2/3 revenue. Now if the PC gamers then just turn around and buy a PS4 or XB1 copy they lose no revenue and simply will put no effort into future PC since they know idiots will just buy it on console.

What needs to happen is PC/PS4 and XB1 players need to all say F U NONE of us will buy your product anymore until you make it right. However that will never happen because most people dont give a shit if you suffer as long as they dont have to,

Doesn't Arkham: Origins run super good after a couple patches?

Nope I tried running it and get huge frame rate drops and stutters and you can see my system.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
So is there options I'm not seeing? I can't see a way to turn motion blur off. Only a few basic options.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
That's funny cause Avatar made more money than Titanic. However, your article didn't say anything about a single game outselling a console game. How many copies of Arkham Knight were refunded and does Steamspy count every code redemption as a sale? Even the numerous people redeeming free codes from Nvidia or an ebay code they bought for $20?

Steamspy crawls steam user profiles and sees what games they have installed. It should directly reflect refunds when it updates given that the game is no longer for sale. Also I'm pretty sure all of the 3rd party codes are just Steam Keys, no?

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Patches incoming?

about 7 hours ago

Change #1132894

Changed Depots
branches/qa_1083639/description: Zep-MS16_0.19-WBQA-PC-FullPatchRC4-4US_1083639-06_20_2015_Auto › Zep-MS16_0.19-WBQA-PC-FullPatchRC4-5US_1083639-06_20_2015_Auto

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I would say, that on a corporate level, it puts PC games on a higher risk level. If we can get a refund that easily and then go buy it for PS4 or Xbone instead then what pressure is on them to make the PC version better? Just focus on the console and forget the PC.
^ that, that's the message many companies might be getting, I know EA is getting that message and EA will cut off PC platform of that particular game or franchise in the future without hesitation.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

It's about the game not the platform. I don't really care about who gets my money. If I want a game, a game as good as this one is after actually playing it, then I'll buy it. I'm sorry but I am not going to wait who knows how long for it to be fixed. I'm not stuck to a single platform like so many seem to be. If you wanna wait then wait, meanwhile I've got a few hours in the game and it is phenomenal in my opinion.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Steamspy crawls steam user profiles and sees what games they have installed. It should directly reflect refunds when it updates given that the game is no longer for sale. Also I'm pretty sure all of the 3rd party codes are just Steam Keys, no?

What I mean is when you buy a code off eBay that someone is selling and they got it from the nvidia promo, should that really count as a sale? I'm not sure one way or the other to be honest.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Patches incoming?

about 7 hours ago

Change #1132894

Changed Depots
branches/qa_1083639/description: Zep-MS16_0.19-WBQA-PC-FullPatchRC4-4US_1083639-06_20_2015_Auto › Zep-MS16_0.19-WBQA-PC-FullPatchRC4-5US_1083639-06_20_2015_Auto

That's pretty quick.

One of the posters above mentioned this might discourage them from releasing for PC in future - because it is easy for gamers to get a refund now if they don't like your game.

First, if they adopt that stance, then I am glad because I wouldn't want to buy from them anyway.

Second, its a big market to walk away from. Steam has a huge install base, and it looks like it is only going to get bigger, with the whole Steambox thing. Walking away from bajillions of dollars because you are too cheap to do it right the first time would be the height of stupidity.

Hopefully they (and other companies) learn a lesson from this. I'm hoping this results in the firing of the WB exec responsible. However, what may happen is that WB may simply blame Iron Galaxy instead of admitting they screwed up.