Arkham Knight

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Not entirely true. Amazon suspended sales of simcity when it had major issues. ea also extended mass refunding which was a first.

Yeah, but EA didn't suspend sales and Amazon is very much a secondary gaming retailer compared to Steam. WB just cut off Arkham Knight at the source!

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
WB / RockSteady don't necessarily deserve to be hurt by this. After all, the game runs like a champ on PS4 (not sure about Xbone, but I haven't seen complaints). Iron Galaxy, the people responsible for the atrocious PC port, deserve to be hurt financially. If people get refunds on the PC version and buy the PS4 version, it doesn't affect WB, sure, but it hurts their numbers on PC sales and hopefully convinces them to go with a different company next time they're porting a game to PC.

On one hand I agree but on the other they are the ones who made the decision to give this responsibility to a 3rd party. As far as I'm concerned everything rolls back up to the top so if this shitty port is traced back to their business decision to outsource the work then that's still on them. Any time you outsource that is a risk that always comes back on the parent company. Maybe going forward they will either stop being cheap or just cut ties with the PC market altogether.

I agree with Fingolfin.. WB Games / RockSteady should be hurt. After all it was one or both of them that made the decision to outsource it to a 3rd party to do the port, or at the very least they are at fault for allowing it to be release in this state.... Did they not even look at the game??

Who care if it runs fine on the PS4/XBone(?) its their name and their title on the pc so they should have some responsibility for the quality of the release for the pc

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Check this out. Water effects PC vs PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUwMYVli_8

D:

Wow, that's just inexcusable, especially given that the PC version includes NVIDEA's special rain effects.

Honestly I'm still wondering how a game designed for AMD GPUs (every console version) is not only missing effects on the PC version, but consistently sucks worse on AMD cards.

I'm wondering if they tried to do too much with all the NVIDIA effects, they took a game optimized for AMD and tried to flip architectures for the PC.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
This is my biggest concern moving forward with most games being console port. I don't want to be treated as a second class citizen.
Moving forward? The PC has been getting console scraps for the last 10 years, and has become a hugely unreliable mess of a gaming platform.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Lol, wow that is horrendous. Does he say what settings they are using though?

KT

From the rough google translate of the description, it says that all is set to max with all gameworks abilities set to on

The more and more this goes on, either one of two things happened

1 - They did not care about the pc port
or
2 - as least likely as it is the pc release may have been the wrong build? meaning they somehow release a dev build instead of the retail?

My guts says its more 1 than 2

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Moving forward? The PC has been getting console scraps for the last 10 years, and has become a hugely unreliable mess of a gaming platform.

And yet it's growing to the point where PC gaming revenue has surpassed consoles. When games are good on PC, they can be REALLY good; and there are more good games than bad IMO. Like all news, it's the bad ones that get the most coverage.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
And yet it's growing to the point where PC gaming revenue has surpassed consoles.

No, CoD and GTA set records on console. PC game sales don't touch console levels. Especially not with so many people content to wait for sales to buy anything.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's just my opinion. If you prefer to play on PC then that's probably what you bought first. Having to go through the hassle of screwing with it, returning it, and then just turning around and dropping cash on the console version doesn't really hurt them at all for making a shitty port.

No, I go physical most of the time. I knew about the issues so when I went to pick it up I simply told them I want it on PS4 instead and still got all my pre-order bonuses.

On one hand I agree but on the other they are the ones who made the decision to give this responsibility to a 3rd party. As far as I'm concerned everything rolls back up to the top so if this shitty port is traced back to their business decision to outsource the work then that's still on them. Any time you outsource that is a risk that always comes back on the parent company. Maybe going forward they will either stop being cheap or just cut ties with the PC market altogether.

We don't know the decision making process. For all we know Rocksteady is putting this on their shoulders when it was out of their hands. Remember, rocksteady didn't have this type of showing for Arkham City or Arkham Asylum. DX11 mode needed a few patches but it was more playable and included all the proper effects from day one.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I'm talking about the number of games sold. Digital games make more money because there's less spend on packaging and manufacturing. PC is almost 100% digital. GTA 5 launched in 2013 and made $1billion US in a single day between Xbox 360 and PS3. It didn't come close on PC when it finally arrived.

That Forbes article is a joke. They are talking about operating income for Microsoft but forget that that includes marketing, manufacturing, and supporting a hardware platform (Xbox 360). On the PC that doesn't exist and they draw the conclusion that since Microsoft's enterprise division makes more money that Xbox isn't going to last. Then they like to point out Last of Us sold 6million copies in 15months but Diablo3 on PC sold that in the first week. Read what I said about GTA 5. $1billion US profit in a single day for Rockstar Games. That wasn't a PC game.

Evidence these articles are a joke and have no clue what they're talking about.

"The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity. Just a few years ago the reverse was true. This means PCs have the broader audience."

A console was never a necessity. It's for games and not everyone plays games. PC has a broader audience? Yeah when people are buying laptops that can't play any AAA games because they're buying the $300 walmart special.

"The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity. Just a few years ago the reverse was true. This means PCs have the broader audience."
The growth in PC spending is being driven heavily by the explosive growth in MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2, Cole said. That certainly gels with what we found in our recent Steam Gauge analysis, which shows Dota 2 dominating in a number of gameplay statistics.

Outside of that, the PC market is supported by "a nice mix of MMO, strategy, and first-person shooter" games, Cole said. The PC gaming market is also dominated by older titles; Cole said there wasn't a single title released in 2013 that made the top 20 list of most played games for that year, though 2014 releases like DayZ, Rust, and Hearthstone have managed to crack the popularity lists. PC gaming revenue growth has been especially strong in Europe and among free-to-play titles, Cole said

I don't think it needs to be said that touting F2P games, and old titles as to why a certain platform is doing well is kind of a joke.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
That Forbes article is a joke. They are talking about operating income for Microsoft but forget that that includes marketing, manufacturing, and supporting a hardware platform (Xbox 360). On the PC that doesn't exist and they draw the conclusion that since Microsoft's enterprise division makes more money that Xbox isn't going to last. Then they like to point out Last of Us sold 6million copies in 15months but Diablo3 on PC sold that in the first week. Read what I said about GTA 5. $1billion US profit in a single day for Rockstar Games. That wasn't a PC game.
It's convenient how you pick the best selling 7th generation console game to try proving a point. To date, across all platform, GTA 5 has sold over 50 million copies. Only Tetris, Wii Sports, and Minecraft (yeah, that game that started on PC) have sold more in the history of gaming.

Some fact correction: GTA 5 made $1 billion US revenue over the first three days. The fastest selling entertainment product ever. Impressive as hell, but at least get it right. When you reply with incorrect and cherry-picked information, it only hurts the validity of everything in your post.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I can't tell if I should laugh or cry. At least those with some brains only paid $22-25 for it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm talking about the number of games sold. Digital games make more money because there's less spend on packaging and manufacturing. PC is almost 100% digital. GTA 5 launched in 2013 and made $1billion US in a single day between Xbox 360 and PS3. It didn't come close on PC when it finally arrived.

Evidence these articles are a joke and have no clue what they're talking about.

A console was never a necessity. It's for games and not everyone plays games. PC has a broader audience? Yeah when people are buying laptops that can't play any AAA games because they're buying the $300 walmart special.

I don't think it needs to be said that touting F2P games, and old titles as to why a certain platform is doing well is kind of a joke.

I only cited those articles as sources for PC revenue exceeding console revenue as an industry. Tear the commentary a new one to your gleeful heart's content. As an industry the money is there, which was my original point.

As for individual games, Arkham Knight sold over 250,000 copies on PC in the first 24 hours at $60 a piece according to SteamSpy. It would have sold even more if the issues hadn't been so severe, and even more as the year went on. Plus DLC sales. Ignoring that kind of money would be a horrendously stupid idea for any business, even if it isn't the lion's share of their profits.
http://steamspy.com/app/208650

Edit: Also GTAV made 1 Billion in revenue over 3 days. Not profit in one day. In any case, GTA V is a serious exception to the rule. You might as well cite Titanic and claim that romantic dramas make more money than action blockbusters.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's convenient how you pick the best selling 7th generation console game to try proving a point. To date, across all platform, GTA 5 has sold over 50 million copies. Only Tetris, Wii Sports, and Minecraft (yeah, that game that started on PC) have sold more in the history of gaming.

Some fact correction: GTA 5 made $1 billion US revenue over the first three days. The fastest selling entertainment product ever. Impressive as hell, but at least get it right. When you reply with incorrect and cherry-picked information, it only hurts the validity of everything in your post.

Don't get huffy cause PC gaming isn't as big as you want to think it is. It's good and doing well sure, but at least be realistic. It isn't beating sales of games on consoles from a numbers perspective.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I only cited those articles as sources for PC revenue exceeding console revenue as an industry. Tear the commentary a new one to your gleeful heart's content. As an industry the money is there, which was my original point.

As for individual games, Arkham Knight sold over 250,000 copies on PC in the first 24 hours at $60 a piece according to SteamSpy. It would have sold even more if the issues hadn't been so severe, and even more as the year went on. Plus DLC sales. Ignoring that kind of money would be a horrendously stupid idea for any business, even if it isn't the lion's share of their profits.
http://steamspy.com/app/208650

Edit: Also GTAV made 1 Billion in revenue over 3 days. Not profit in one day. In any case, GTA V is a serious exception to the rule. You might as well cite Titanic and claim that romantic dramas make more money than action blockbusters.

That's funny cause Avatar made more money than Titanic. However, your article didn't say anything about a single game outselling a console game. How many copies of Arkham Knight were refunded and does Steamspy count every code redemption as a sale? Even the numerous people redeeming free codes from Nvidia or an ebay code they bought for $20?

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Check this out. Water effects PC vs PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUwMYVli_8

Tagged for when I get home and can watch it...

This game is running pretty well for me, strangely.

It came free with a recently purchased 970 Strix (which I would have bought without the Batman offer).

970, 3470, 16GB, game installed on a WDBlack, at 1900x1200. I realized yesterday that the game had defaulted to all Gameworks options being *off*, so I switched them all *on* and expected the worst, but it didn't degrade performance in the least.

I get occasional short hitches, usually when doing the grapple launch move. No 1 second + pauses, Batmobile issues, memory leaks (that I've noticed, although I haven't monitored) or game breaking stuff...yet.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Don't get huffy cause PC gaming isn't as big as you want to think it is. It's good and doing well sure, but at least be realistic. It isn't beating sales of games on consoles from a numbers perspective.
Pointing out the weaknesses in your post is getting huffy? What do you call your comment on the Forbes article being a joke? Going berserk?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Probably have to strip it down to the engine and start again because there's too much missing. Aside from the water effects I think it's missing proper texture resolution and more.