Arkham Knight

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Any Radeon owners playing this grab the updated drivers from AMD? If so, did it help?

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Ugh, Framework 4.5.1 got installed by this. Well I held out keeping that junk off as long as I could., That POS never removes correctly so guess I'm stuck with it now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That's great...we are babies because we expect a working game like they have on ps4?

Oh and rocksteady says the game was ported by a 3rd party and they didn't do it. That's the problem right there. They trusted someone who isn't even named, to port the game to the PC. That is always a bad idea. Mortal kombat X did that and was nothing but problems. Same for the ps4 port of ultra street fighter 4, 3rd party team botched it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/23/batman-arkham-knight-suffering-major-issues-on-pc

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Figured out how to fix the framerate issues in the game. First, uncap the fps in the config file.

1. Just like other WB games, vsync is a killer. You need some form of variable sync or no vsync at all. I have vsync set to adaptive in the nvidia control settings.

2. Just like other open world games, streaming performance is a problem, and Windows doesn't seem to do asynchronous io very well. Some sort of SSD solution is recommend, I use the intel ssd caching that came on my motherboard and it works well.

3. SLI sucks in this game. Also, you basically need a dedicated physx card. Dedicating one of my gtx 970s to physx smoothed out most of the remaining framerate issues and caused a huge boost in framerates.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I'm not sure what the answer is these days...

How much does a console port of a game outsell a pc port?

I can understand programming rationale when you can buy a PS4 or Xbox One for what a video card costs...

And yes, I am a PC gamer...

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I'm such a purist I play this game with mouse and keyboard only...

The Batmobile is a BIATCH to steer!

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Why would they cap the fps at 30 in the first place? In an action game all about gameplay?

What is so taboo about 60fps these day that developers tend to avoid it like the plague on consoles by extension PC ports.

Good god these console generation sucks. Just mind boggling.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Why would they cap the fps at 30 in the first place? In an action game all about gameplay?

What is so taboo about 60fps these day that developers tend to avoid it like the plague on consoles by extension PC ports.

Good god these console generation sucks. Just mind boggling.

It's the developers. Rocksteady hired someone else to port it. They messed up. The consoles have nothing to do with it.

Ok guys I need a no BS answer here. Is this game worth buying for PC with the system in my sig? 3570k @ 4.5ghz, sli 970s over clocked, 8GB of RAM and will run the game off an SSD. Should I disable sli and run one card for physx?

Is it that bad that I may as well get it on ps4 and avoid the headaches? I want the game but don't want to deal with the game hogging my memory and uneven frame rate.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

What gets you to 30fps is the GPU. What bottlenecks you short of a solid 60 fps is often the CPU. Since the CPUs on these console are weak they target 30 fps to avoid hitting the ceiling.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
It's the developers. Rocksteady hired someone else to port it. They messed up. The consoles have nothing to do with it.

Ok guys I need a no BS answer here. Is this game worth buying for PC with the system in my sig? 3570k @ 4.5ghz, sli 970s over clocked, 8GB of RAM and will run the game off an SSD. Should I disable sli and run one card for physx?

Is it that bad that I may as well get it on ps4 and avoid the headaches? I want the game but don't want to deal with the game hogging my memory and uneven frame rate.

SLI performance is worst, considerably worse than single card configurations. No one knows why or when a fix will be in place. And I've also read some posts where using a card for PhysX only doesn't seem to work, or provide any benefits.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
It seems like most of the footage I've seen is in the batmobile. How much of this game is driving? I liked sneaking around in Arkham Asylum...playing it like GTA doesnt seem right for a Batman game.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007

Short answer is no. Dont buy it for any console or PC. Make Rocksteady pay for their mistakes.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

I've got a similar system and the game runs fine after making some changes.
Yes you should disable sli and run one card for physx. (disabling SLI in the game profile and leaving physx to autodetect seems to work)
You should remove the fps cap (requires setting the ini file to read only).
Yes you should run the game off an SSD, it's constantly streaming. For loading a cutscene (which the game loads in real time, no load screen), I got about 1GB of disk io over a couple seconds.
You may need more than 8GB of ram. I had the game using ~7GB of ram by itself.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Besides the performance issues, it also is using Denuvo DRM, which isn't mentioned on Steam's page.

DRM on top of DRM. Idiots.
Glad I didn't get this on day 1.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Here's a reference to pulled IBT article:

http://acutegaming.net/batman-arkham-knight-warner-bros-executive-pc-gamers-a-bunch-of-babies/2015/

Warner Bros marketing Executive Ryan Moore has allegdly called PC gamers “a bunch of babies” because of the numerous complaints about the issues with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight on video game forum NeoGAF.

User TheMadMan007 posted earlier today: “Man everyone in here is a bunch of babies… Look, every game released now is going to have problems the day of launch. If you can’t troubleshoot or can’t deal with having a few issues here or there, you should probably just wait until about a week from now and a few patches will be out and all these little problems will be fixed.”

This made the another user look into the details on TheMadMan007’s user profile, which lists their Xbox Live name, real name and location, all of which associates perfectly with one Ryan Moore, who according to LinkedIn is the executive director of marketing, unscripted & alternative television at the Warner Bros Entertainment Group.

Warner Bros is the publisher behind Rocksteady’s Batman: Arkham Knight, which launched today (23 June) on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Moore joined the company in April.

Could this just be massive coincidence? I would take this with a grain of salt but before posting this but I did some digging and IBTIMES had some information related to this but seem to have removed it. You still can find the cache if you use google.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I've got a similar system and the game runs fine after making some changes.

Yes you should disable sli and run one card for physx. (disabling SLI in the game profile and leaving physx to autodetect seems to work)

You should remove the fps cap (requires setting the ini file to read only).

Yes you should run the game off an SSD, it's constantly streaming. For loading a cutscene (which the game loads in real time, no load screen), I got about 1GB of disk io over a couple seconds.

You may need more than 8GB of ram. I had the game using ~7GB of ram by itself.

Hm...with nothing running on a fresh restart I have 7.94GB of memory available.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Hm...with nothing running on a fresh restart I have 7.94GB of memory available.

That's cutting it close imo. I'd guess you'll have some stuttering as things page out initially, but as long as you're not multi-tasking you should be fine.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Short answer is no. Dont buy it for any console or PC. Make Rocksteady pay for their mistakes.

I don't think rocksteady had much to do with this. WB games outsourced the PC port of mortal kombat x and nether realms didn't even touch any part of the PC code. The console versions were obviously done by the original team and were good. I think WB games went ahead and took the porting project to someone and rocksteady didn't have a hand in that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That's cutting it close imo. I'd guess you'll have some stuttering as things page out initially, but as long as you're not multi-tasking you should be fine.

Didn't someone say they saw 15GB in use of their 16GB total in this game? That's absurd. I don't see how the game can even run on an Xbox one or ps4 if that was true.