Are you waiting for prices/fermi, not buying, or something else?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What are you waiting for? note: within THIS generation

• I'm waiting for Fermi(definitely want to buy fermi)

• waiting for prices on 5 series to fall, but definitely want a 5 series

• I'm waiting for something else

• I've already bought a 5 series

• I'm waiting to see how fermi does so I can choose the best for the price

• I don't plan on buying this generation for one reason or another

Results are only viewable after voting.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr
And those people are probably curious if their purchase was a wise one. Fermi's launch will tell them that they either did "good", or could have done better.

I dont agree with this part

People who bought a 58xx series probably wanted top performance RIGHT NOW, so by the time Fermi actually launches, they have enjoyed their cards for months already - how can that be a bad deal?

And in the opposite situation, if you didnt buy a card yet, you probably dont need the extra performance anyway

Just pointing out that regretting about your decision in this case is stupid, whether you bought a card or not

Agreed, people have been enjoying their cards right now, but I ever said it was a bad deal.
Major problem with forums is that people do tend to read too much into posts.

Agreed on point two. Never said anything to the contrary.

Point 3. Buyers remorse is a common thing. But I didn't say anyone would be remorseful. I'm sure there will be some people who might say, "Hah, I knew I did right buying 5870 when I did!" and post about it. And there might be others who could say, "Dammit, I knew I should have waited." and never post about it. ;)

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
I've been in this game too long to fret about buyer's remorse. It happens sometimes.

Whatever, my most recent sojourn to market was necessity-borne. And timely, because I didn't get gouged too badly (I bought a 5850).

ATi's drivers don't suck, but CCC still does. Just my very brief, personal Obvo.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Agreed, people have been enjoying their cards right now, but I ever said it was a bad deal.
Major problem with forums is that people do tend to read too much into posts.

Agreed on point two. Never said anything to the contrary.

Point 3. Buyers remorse is a common thing. But I didn't say anyone would be remorseful. I'm sure there will be some people who might say, "Hah, I knew I did right buying 5870 when I did!" and post about it. And there might be others who could say, "Dammit, I knew I should have waited." and never post about it. ;)

If Fermi shows up in March, it'll be about 6 months after the 5870 launch. Even if I bought a 5870 at launch there is no way I'd be remorseful about my purchase. By the time Fermi launches it'll be half a generation later than AMD's 5870... it should be faster. There will always be faster hardware right around the corner. If Fermil launches in March and AMD is rumored to have a refresh coming in September, will you suggest that people pass by Fermi to get AMD's refresh that's coming in ~6 months?

When I got my 4870 I think it was about 7 months later than the 4890 shipped. Then from the 4890 launch it was about 6 months later that the 5870 launched. I don't see why anyone should be remoseful about a 5870 purchase. The only way I could see someone being remoseful about buying a 5870 is if Nvidia finally gives us a hard luanch date of say 3/23 and somene buys on 3/17 then when Fermi launches it's a good deal faster.

At this point being remorseful about a 5870 purchase when Fermil launches would be like being remoseful that you bought a GTX260 216 a few months after launch because the GTX275 launched 6 months after your purchase. Something faster is always coming, I thought the general concensus on these forums was to buy for the performance something offers now, it only makes sense to wait if you are very close to a new hardware launch... at this point Fermi doesn't look like it's going to be available until March to April.

At this point we don't have a single benchmark. We don't have a luanch date. We don't have a price. We don't know what kind of new features it will or won't offer. With a 58x0 card at least you know exactly what you're getting. There's no way I'd wait if I wanted to buy now unless I had a specific need for an Nvidia-specific feature and also wanted DX11.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
If Fermi shows up in March, it'll be about 6 months after the 5870 launch. Even if I bought a 5870 at launch there is no way I'd be remorseful about my purchase. By the time Fermi launches it'll be half a generation later than AMD's 5870... it should be faster. There will always be faster hardware right around the corner. If Fermil launches in March and AMD is rumored to have a refresh coming in September, will you suggest that people pass by Fermi to get AMD's refresh that's coming in ~6 months?

When I got my 4870 I think it was about 7 months later than the 4890 shipped. Then from the 4890 launch it was about 6 months later that the 5870 launched. I don't see why anyone should be remoseful about a 5870 purchase. The only way I could see someone being remoseful about buying a 5870 is if Nvidia finally gives us a hard luanch date of say 3/23 and somene buys on 3/17 then when Fermi launches it's a good deal faster.

At this point being remorseful about a 5870 purchase when Fermil launches would be like being remoseful that you bought a GTX260 216 a few months after launch because the GTX275 launched 6 months after your purchase. Something faster is always coming, I thought the general concensus on these forums was to buy for the performance something offers now, it only makes sense to wait if you are very close to a new hardware launch... at this point Fermi doesn't look like it's going to be available until March to April.

At this point we don't have a single benchmark. We don't have a luanch date. We don't have a price. We don't know what kind of new features it will or won't offer. With a 58x0 card at least you know exactly what you're getting. There's no way I'd wait if I wanted to buy now unless I had a specific need for an Nvidia-specific feature and also wanted DX11.

Ok

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I voted "something else". I was originally waiting for 4000 series prices to drop (and obviously the 260s were not dropping in price at all either), but due to lack of competition or whatever, prices did not drop enough for my taste... so i grabbed a Visiontek dual slot 3870 cheap to tide me over until prices become more reasonable to me. I am real cheap though- I can't stomach paying much over 100 dollars for a video card, and I wanted a dual slot cooling solution. Shameful, I know :p I just like a really good deal. I don't know what I will buying in the future, but it probably won't be for another year or more now... and who knows what will be around at that time.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I fall under two. I've already purchased a 5850 and I'm waiting for prices to drop to buy another.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't plan to buy anything this generation. After two years, the only game that would justify an upgrade over my existing 280 is Crysis, and that probably isn't going to change for a while given how the consoles drive game development these days.

Nov 26, 2005
The only game I play that pushes my 4870 512 on my 1280x1024 is UT3 so a new card will be nice and more than likely a 5870 or >

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I am waiting to have money to buy a new computer. Seems like an obvious choice that isn't listed.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i love how people are up in arms about 5800 prices. i remember when the 8800gt came out and the prices/demand were equally inflated. took about 6-8 months for things to get back down to rational and even cheap with rebates/combo incentives.

i've bought nv cards for all my rigs over the years, but hd5800 and eyefinity are what i want and make the most sense for game/work. when prices reach rational, i'm in.

Sep 26, 2006
I'm waiting to see the price / performance of Fermi vs. 5870. I just moved from an Abit 680i board running two BFG 7900 GTX OC's SLI to a Gigabyte EP-45 board and one 7900 on it so I'm in need of a new card. My monitor is 1680x1250 so I guess I don't need the fastest thing out there but I also went to W7 at the same time so DX11 is a requirement and grabbing top of the line performance will hold me for at least a few years... or longer if PC gaming doesn't rebound and get away from this whole console port thing.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
i love how people are up in arms about 5800 prices. i remember when the 8800gt came out and the prices/demand were equally inflated. took about 6-8 months for things to get back down to rational and even cheap with rebates/combo incentives.

i've bought nv cards for all my rigs over the years, but hd5800 and eyefinity are what i want and make the most sense for game/work. when prices reach rational, i'm in.

I'm with you. While prices aren't nearly as nice as when the GTX260 and 4870 were duking it out, they 58x0 prices are in line with their competition.

The 5850 is faster than the GTX285 in general, and much cheaper than the GTX285 (going by Newegg prices). The cheapest 5850 is $310, the cheapest GTX285 is $355. So really, are the 58x0 prices that terrible? In this case the 5850 is both cheaper and faster than it's closest Nvidia competition.

The 5870 is a bit slower than the GTX295 and is more than $100 cheaper. Going by Newegg again, the cheapest 5870 is $405, the cheapest GTX295 is $510 but out of stock, the only one they have in stock is $700.

I just don't think the 58x0 prices are that bad when you look at Nvidia's prices. I wish the prices were lower too, it'd be nice if they were back to their original MSRP, but the 5870 seems to be priced about where it should rationally be. The 5850 on the other hand seems like an absolute deal when compared to the GTX285.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I was able to get a HIS 5970 through work for about $580, so I already have my Radeon 5000 series.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
4890 should do for a while. My backup 8800 GTX actually plays everything I play at 1680 x 1050.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

I'm with you. While prices aren't nearly as nice as when the GTX260 and 4870 were duking it out, they 58x0 prices are in line with their competition.

It's a matter of perception though. The original price points for the 5870 and 5850 were $379 and $259. The cheapest you can find these cards at newegg right now are $404.99 and $309.99, respectively.

Personally, I don't think they are necessarily bad values at their current pricing, and if they had been launched at theses prices you would not have heard a grumble from me. However, to have prices go up for the next few months after a launch is making the cards a harder sell IMO.

Morridin19

Dec 2, 2009
I have a 5870 on order, due to several reasons

A. my XFX 7900 GT died and I RMA'ed it, they sent me a 9500 GT, which isn't performing as well as I would have liked
B. I have 52" 1080P LCD TV, and 5.1 Sounds system that I watch movies on, which is right now connected with a VGA cable and and a 3.5mm audio jack (2.1 sound)
C. I have 2 24" monitors on my desk, which to use right now requires me to unplug my TV and plug in my second monitor.

So the 5870 gets me 3 usable monitors with no cable switching, 5.1 surround sound, and better gaming performance. I feel for that price it is reasonable, as for Fermi... well Nvidia's whole PhysX debacle with ATI cards, put a sour taste in my mouth, and there is no guarentee that they will be able to run 3 Monitors on one card with audio over HDMI/Display Port, so although it may lower the prices of the 5 Series cards, unless it comes out of nowhere with amazing performance, features, and a DECENT price point, I am indifferent to its release.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Skipping out on this generation. I only game at 1680x1050, and even the latest games besids Crysis, which I don't play anymore, I can max out.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
What's the release date for Fermi and how will it perform compared with the 5800 series cards?
If no one knows either....then "waiting for Fermi" is pretty much like "waiting for AMD" to beat Intel in the performance desktop market isn't it....

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What's the release date for Fermi and how will it perform compared with the 5800 series cards?
If no one knows either....then "waiting for Fermi" is pretty much like "waiting for AMD" to beat Intel in the performance desktop market isn't it....

I believe it was supposed to be released in November, but that didn't happen and Nvidia realized that it wasn't going to be able to be released before the end of 09. They are now saying Q1 of 2010. Rumors are all over the place, but many of the rumors seem to point towards ~March.

So, there isn't an actual date yet, I'm not sure if Nvidia knows what the actual launch date is yet, hence the Q1 of 2010 release statement. But, Q1 is right around the corner, maybe they'll be able to suprise everyone with an earlier than March release. It could possibly slip again too, but that looks unlikely from the information I've read.

Also, it's worth noting that Nvidia's Q1 of 2010 begins on January 27th. So when Nvidia states a Q1 of 2010 launch, it does not look very likely that a January launch will happen.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1202940080671.html

As far as performance goes, no one knows. We have barely seen an actual card much less a benchmark. It could be faster, it might be slower, it's just not known yet... there has been zero performance data released by Nvidia so far.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It's pretty clear that most of the people who are waiting on Fermi are people who have no intent on buying ATI regardless of the price or performance.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'm not waiting for Fermi, rather, what comes after. Currently, my 4870 meets everything I throw at it. When AMD launches their 6000 series, I may pick up one of those.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
It's pretty clear that most of the people who are waiting on Fermi are people who have no intent on buying ATI regardless of the price or performance.

That's not fair at all. The best prices are going to be had once Fermi comes out and competes with ATI, as it is right now, nvidia can't compete with the 5800 series in any area. They're better at games right now, they have dx11, and they're better at compute (they are, though you'll have to write your own apps atm). Fermi should match or exceed all 3 categories, putting downward pricing pressure on ATI.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Unless if I can sell my current card, so I can pay less than $250 of difference for a new HD 5870, I will keep my card, with my standard resolution, I can even run Crysis maxed with 4x FSAA and never dips below 27fps which feels very playable compared to other games running at the same FPS which are none. Even my brother's in law HD 3870 is enough for him, he can play Need for Speed Shift maxxed at the same resolution as mine (1280x0124) plus 4x FSAA, also uses the same settings for Resident Evil 5.

Consoles are driving development, hence not much need in better performance yet.

at80eighty

Jun 28, 2004
Nvidia user for several generations and wanted to try ATI this round.

The rep of the drivers made me go for entry level (for my first try) and I went with a 5750. I'm saving up for the 5970 (and an entirely new rig) which should HOPEfully come back to the $600 level around the time Crysis 2 is out

Having said that, I will certainly see what Fermi offers by then, but as things stand it's not looking especially attention worthy

As an aside - Im still curious what the 'surprise' ATI was alluding to around the release date of the 5970 - something to be announced in Q1 2010?