Are you waiting for prices/fermi, not buying, or something else?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What are you waiting for? note: within THIS generation

• I'm waiting for Fermi(definitely want to buy fermi)

• waiting for prices on 5 series to fall, but definitely want a 5 series

• I'm waiting for something else

• I've already bought a 5 series

• I'm waiting to see how fermi does so I can choose the best for the price

• I don't plan on buying this generation for one reason or another

Results are only viewable after voting.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I would be interested in Fermi if it ends up being cheaper and faster than ATI's cards but the odds of that happening seem pretty low.

Last edited:

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
I always buy on the back end of the generation. Picked up my 4870 very cheap a few months ago after I missed out on the 4890 deals. Will look at a 5xxx (possibly even a Fermi, if it is unexpectedly good) when they become great deals around the time of the 6xxx launch. Given my monitor, I don't really need more than I have now anyway....

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
5970 when it is back under <$600, and I'm talking like a penny less. However, if by that time Fermi is around and has better performance (in dual chip mode) I may go with Nvidia.

1ManArmY

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2003
I'll wait and see what type of performance fermi has then make my decision then, no need to rush

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Not buying anything for some time. I just RMA'ed GTX260c216, it's more than plenty for me at this time (after it comes back). And seeing how my priorities has shifted, and how I play less and less games, it's harder and harder to justify expensive videocard. SSD or faster CPU, more RAM, sure, videocard, not so much. I'll definitely skip 5 series/Fermi, not sure what happens after that.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Still hanging in there with my 8800 GT. I just know to stay away from a bunch of titles I know it can't run at 19x12. I'll pick up a 5850 once it's under 200 (or nv alternative, if one shows up), until then it's retro and MMO gaming for me!

Shilohen

Jul 29, 2009
And those people are probably curious if there purchase was a wise one. Fermi's launch will tell them that they either did "good", or could have done better.
So C'mon. Everyone is waiting on Fermi for one reason or another. Just like everyone was waiting for the 5870 for one reason or another.

I kind of agree with that. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is eager to see a review of Fermi be it for the best or the worst, even if they already bought a card.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I am eagerly awaiting the newer games like Crysis 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 etc. Right now there seems to be no reason to upgrade the gpu or the cpu for the sole purpose of playing directX 9 or 10 games that most of my friends and myself play. With Modern Warfare 2 being fairly easy for a decent system to run and the only game I was looking forward to, (and didn't buy but that's another story) my system shall suffice for now.

If nvidia can come up with another 8800GT-like card I think many will buy it regardless though, the mo' power the better.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
I wish this option wasn't buried near the bottom of the list: I'm waiting for BOTH: prices to drop on 5000 series AND solid news on Fermi.

Your poll option ordering sucks. ;P

May 13, 2009
Waiting for a game/games that can actually use fermi or 58XX. I game @1080p so my oc'ed gtx 280 is plenty.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I might upgrade this summer, but not before.

My 4890 handles everything I play right now just fine, I don't like to switch GPUs more than once a year, and I would want to wait for both the entire ferm/cypress lines top to bottom have been out for a few months at least and stabilized, maybe even some refresh parts.

If I had to guess on my next purchase, probably something along the lines of a GTX360/5870 (maybe 5890/gtx375 if they do one) next fall or so

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
I have absolutely no interest in fermi. The theoretical price drop it may cause in the 5800 series isn't a big enough incentive to get me to wait, and I'm disgusted enough with nVidia's recent business practices that I've already decided I'm going with ATi. A 5850 will be more than enough power for my gaming habits. So no, "everyone" is not waiting on fermi. NV's product really isn't the center of my GPU decision, despite the spin you're trying to put on it.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I covet the most powerful single gpu I can afford. A 5870 is doing it now, will grab a Fermi quick if it beats out 5870 by more than 15%, especially if it's equipped with 1.5G+ DDR5. That's my thinking before I see the pricetag..

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I have absolutely no interest in fermi. The theoretical price drop it may cause in the 5800 series isn't a big enough incentive to get me to wait, and I'm disgusted enough with nVidia's recent business practices that I've already decided I'm going with ATi. A 5850 will be more than enough power for my gaming habits. So no, "everyone" is not waiting on fermi. NV's product really isn't the center of my GPU decision, despite the spin you're trying to put on it.

Well, my testy friend, you are one of the very few people who aren't at least curious about it. So, I stand VERY corrected. Because it's important. ;)

KCfromNC

Mar 17, 2007
Still hanging in there with my 8800 GT. I just know to stay away from a bunch of titles I know it can't run at 19x12. I'll pick up a 5850 once it's under 200 (or nv alternative, if one shows up), until then it's retro and MMO gaming for me!

Same here, except my monitor is 16x12. I'd like a 260 or 275 since the DC project I prefer can use it, but with supply so constrained it's not a smart move right now. Hopefully post-holidays the price of those cards drops, or if not, Fermi coming out does the trick.

In the mean time, there's lots of 1-2 year old titles worth catching up on, and it's not like an 8800GT is bad for many of the newer games as well. I have less time than games to play, so no loss if I miss some of the more demanding ones until upgrade.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I am interested in dx11, as well as the little extras both cards offer. Primarily compute ability though.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I hope Nvidia includes multi-monitor support for Fermi.

With this day and age of dropping LCD prices it would almost seem silly for them not to though.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Answer that probably covers everyone: cursing TSMC for screwing us all this year.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I'm waiting to see how Fermi performs, but I'm also not in a hurry. My gtx 260 216 is doing just fine. If 360 gtx barely outperforms a 5870, but costs $100 I will be very disappointed.

I'm okay with spending $20-30 extra for an equally performing Nvidia card because, it seems like, games have more release problems with ATI hardware than Nvidia cards, and their driver releases happen more frequently. And I've also been spoiled by the coolness of the few games that use physx.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
I'm fine with a Radeon 4850 512MB. With most games being console ports, this is enough. I have a CRT, so I run at 1920x1080 when I can, and lower when I can't. When I am running lower than high settings at 1280x720 (besides 1 or 2 games being an exception) I'll upgrade.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
And those people are probably curious if their purchase was a wise one. Fermi's launch will tell them that they either did "good", or could have done better.

I dont agree with this part

People who bought a 58xx series probably wanted top performance RIGHT NOW, so by the time Fermi actually launches, they have enjoyed their cards for months already - how can that be a bad deal?

And in the opposite situation, if you didnt buy a card yet, you probably dont need the extra performance anyway

Just pointing out that regretting about your decision in this case is stupid, whether you bought a card or not