Are you starting to get nervous?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's still way too high. 50% is coin flip chance. They have him at like 30%. That is an unacceptable amount of risk for the gravity of the situation.

Well remember they are by far the most favorable. Other robust empirical models give Trump about a 10% chance.

I kind of agree that even a 10% chance is too high considering the thing we are betting on is a mentally unstable sociopath as the most powerful person on earth, but my strong suspicion is that things are going to be just fine.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looking at the big picture I don't think much will change in the short term unless congress changes sides. There may be short term panic with either candidate winning but I imagine it'll go back to business as usual with very little getting done.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Looking at the big picture I don't think much will change in the short term unless congress changes sides. There may be short term panic with either candidate winning but I imagine it'll go back to business as usual with very little getting done.

If Trump wins there is a substantially better chance of the Republicans keeping the Senate, meaning they would have control of all 3 elected branches of government. In that case quite a lot will 'get done' I imagine, so long as tax cuts for the ultra rich and cuts to the social safety net are things you define as 'getting stuff done'.

Reactions: Vic

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
His odds on 538 are down today from where they were yesterday and the day before.

Problem for Trump is if they go into election day tied, all of the early voting occurred while he was way down. He's got a lot of ground to make up to counter that.
Yeah but a lot of polls include people who already voted in the early period. These people are accounted for already...

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The only thing that makes me nervous is that when Trump loses, his highly mentally unstable supporters are still going to be around and still going to be mentally unstable.

Reactions: Puffnstuff

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
The clintons primary purpose in politics is Personal Enrichment thru manipulation of gullible Prog's and 501C3 scams. If she gets elected..she will get impeached.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The clintons primary purpose in politics is Personal Enrichment thru manipulation of gullible Prog's and 501C3 scams. If she gets elected..she will get impeached.

Seems very likely to me, yes. The Republican base has been built up into such a foaming lather over the last eight years that they will probably demand impeachment even though there are no grounds. It's unlikely to go anywhere though and it will be an electoral boon to the Democrats so while it would be a deeply stupid and irresponsible way to run a government, in some ways watching Republicans shoot themselves in the foot is useful.

Reactions: Puffnstuff

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I am very nervous.

I am nervous that if Trump somehow manages to pull of a win, we will have riots in the streets

I am nervous that if Trump loses, the worst of his followers will resort to violence

I am nervous of a Clinton win and subsequent indictment prior to inauguration which will cause a crisis

I am nervous of a Clinton win followed by an endless string of investigations

I am hopeful of a Clinton win and a Republican Congress that has an adversarial relationship but with both willing to achieve some level of bipartisan common ground

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Go ahead. She would get acquitted and nobody cares about Republican impeachments anymore. Bill Clinton's approval went up when he got impeached.
I am nervous of a Clinton win followed by an endless string of investigations
The country did quite well through the last endless string of Clinton investigations, so I wouldn't be too nervous about that.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Yeah kind of nervous now after CNN reported today, Thursday, their poll putting Clinton below 270 electoral votes. I know I've said I wouldn't mind if Trump got elected so I could see out of curiosity if he starts WW3. But I never really thought he could actually win until today.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...ton-drops-below-270-in-electoral-map-n2241636

And from CNN itself - scroll down a bit to see the map where Hillary has only 268 electoral votes in the survey:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/04/politics/road-to-270-electoral-college-map-november-4-duplicate/

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
my nerves peaked last night when I signed up to be a volunteer for the Clinton campaign in PA next week... taking off work to knock on doors on Monday and drive people to go vote on Tuesday.

my cousin is doing the same, driving from CA to Arizona.

win or lose, at least I'll be able to say that I did what I could.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Very nervous as Hillary continues to slide in the polls. A trump presidency is distinctly possible. I never thought so many Americans could be so utterly stupid. And I thought people who voted for Dubya a second time were up there, but these Trump supporters make them look like little geniuses.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The cake has already been baked folks, Clinton got out the vote early. The only question left is whether or not it will be a landslide victory or if trump managed to rally up his supporters to show up.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I've been watching the scientific polls and it still looks solid as a loss for Trump. There is always a chance he could win, but it's significantly more likely he loses. I expect much of the world is paying attention in mild horror/fascination that US politics has degenerated to the point Trump would actually even have a chance.

It's a shame because there are obvious issues with politics in the US and special interests having undue influence, screwing over the bulk of the populace and the rest of the world as well. Thanks to the disaster of Iraq, the rest of the world is now less safe. The myriad of disasters under Trump would be horrifying. It would have been nice to see a real shake up and ousting of the status quo, but a degenerate, stupid piece of human filth like Trump is the last person to do it.

I hope none of his far gone nut support base causes too much trouble when he loses, and if they do, they are dealt with without any loss of life or injury.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm not nervous. I figure that a majority of voters realize that Trump is a pig & a charlatan, unfit to be our President. Despite Repubs' best efforts, most of us are still rational. Warts & all, Clinton is a far better choice.

I doubt that I'll have to re-evaluate after Tuesday.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm not nervous. I figure that a majority of voters realize that Trump is a pig & a charlatan, unfit to be our President. Despite Repubs' best efforts, most of us are still rational. Warts & all, Clinton is a far better choice.

I doubt that I'll have to re-evaluate after Tuesday.

I hope you are right, I just don't have as much faith in the humanity of America as you seem to

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah kind of nervous now after CNN reported today, Thursday, their poll putting Clinton below 270 electoral votes. I know I've said I wouldn't mind if Trump got elected so I could see out of curiosity if he starts WW3. But I never really thought he could actually win until today.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...ton-drops-below-270-in-electoral-map-n2241636

And from CNN itself - scroll down a bit to see the map where Hillary has only 268 electoral votes in the survey:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/04/politics/road-to-270-electoral-college-map-november-4-duplicate/

Yea, but the article still states that Hillary is holding the majority and the road to 270 is much much easier for her. She only needs to win one battleground state. OTOH, Donald still needs a huge push and the road to 270 is still going to be very difficult. Of course, much can still change. We've got 4 plus days left.

I think I'm not even going to follow the news that night. I'll just wake up the next day and turn on CNN. If Trump wins I'm not going to be surprised. People are pissed off at our elected officials. This is history in the making.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am nervous about the march of nationalist/populist stupidity around the world threatening the post WW2 order of peace and prosperity. Trump is just a visible symptom of it.
Putin, Erdogan, Duterte, ISIS, South China Sea, Brexit, Trump, etc. The world is highly volatile and dangerous place, and the elites are completely clueless, whistling through the graveyard.
I hope there is not a world war in my lifetime, but I am not betting on it. There are too many narcissistic sociopaths out there who are promising nationalistic greatness, but delivering only misery, and they have a never ending need to whip up patriotic fever to stay in power.

Reactions: Vic

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I am nervous about the march of nationalist/populist stupidity around the world threatening the post WW2 order of peace and prosperity. Trump is just a visible symptom of it.
Putin, Erdogan, Duterte, ISIS, South China Sea, Brexit, Trump, etc. The world is highly volatile and dangerous place, and the elites are completely clueless, whistling through the graveyard.
I hope there is not a world war in my lifetime, but I am not betting on it. There are too many narcissistic sociopaths out there who are promising nationalistic greatness, but delivering only misery, and they have a never ending need to whip up patriotic fever to stay in power.

This is absolutely true. I don't know how often I read about the possibility of WW3, just in the last weeks. This is insane. This was really unthinkable just some years ago, the expression alone was almost taboo. Now they speculate seriously about it. There was a time where I had hope that "the planet" and the people on it got actually smart. Basically, from what I can tell, since the new millennium, from the year 2000 on, things got progressively insane no matter where you look.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Well remember they are by far the most favorable. Other robust empirical models give Trump about a 10% chance.

I kind of agree that even a 10% chance is too high considering the thing we are betting on is a mentally unstable sociopath as the most powerful person on earth, but my strong suspicion is that things are going to be just fine.
If you actually think the POTUS is the most powerful person on earth, you're dumber than I thought.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
As long the elite globalist keep oppressing the poor and middle class, there will be hell to pay with the general populace like Brexit and Trump's momentum. In the end, it won't matter in 200 years when technology turns everything communist and nobody has to work (and everything is provided via Star Trek replicator). So relax.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001