Are you starting to get nervous?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
but most politicians are not going to cause serious damage even if you think their policies are wrong.

I counter that with the Iraq war, the banking collapse and the decline of the middle class. Don't kid yourself, politicians have the capability of causing catastrophic damage....... they started WW1 and WW2.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I counter that with the Iraq war, the banking collapse and the decline of the middle class. Don't kid yourself, politicians have the capability of causing catastrophic damage....... they started WW1 and WW2.

True. Okay, most politicians besides Trump and Bush Jr. (although I'd argue that his problem was being susceptible to neoconservative fantasies from Cheney, Wolfowitz et. al., rather than his own views).

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
just depressed that ~30% of this country think that fuckface von clownstick is a viable candidate with good ideas about the future of our land.
Yea, is it me that's insane or have massive quantities of lysergic acid been put into the water supplies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Except for the part about it all being a bunch of lies, as is everything with her.

See? This is why we can't have nice things. Uninformed, gullible voters. Failure to apply critical thought when faced with strongmen promising to fix their misery. Failure to accept that the policies they swallowed for decades and that only ever led to disaster time and time again, weren't and still aren't bad policies--just a "failure of proper implementation!"

Educate yourself.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Your view reminds me of how some Republican supporters acted during the 2008 election. Do you remember? They proclaimed gloom and doom, that Obama was secretly a commie/fascist/Muslim terrorist/anti-white radical who would take everyone's guns and destroy America. Of course, we're here 8 years later and none of that happened.

Actually, a lot of that happened and a lot more would have happened if not for the limits put on the amount of damage he was able to do. He definitely tried (and continues to try) to destroy the right to bear arms, and if not for the NRA, conservatives and a good SCOTUS decision he would have been able to do it. We're now stuck with the disaster that is obummercare, we're stuck with at least a couple of idiot justices on the court for decades to come. The damage he has done is substantial.

The US got a politician who, while he made significant mistakes (the flaws in Obamacare, not doing enough to anticipate/fight ISIS early on), will primarily be remembered for restoring the reputation that Bush Jr. damaged, for ushering in a tech-savvy government and making important progress on social issues like LGBT rights.

Maybe that's what you'll remember him for, not I.

We're not going to get a carbon copy of Obama with Clinton, of course, but nor is she some horrible wrecking ball that can only be held back by an obstructionist Republican Congress.

That's exactly what she is.

The boring answer? Even if Congress goes Democrat, she'll likely end up being relentlessly... moderate and adequate. We need to get past this sky-is-falling notion for every politician we don't like.

She can do enormous amount of damage by virtue of being able to add de-facto lefty legislators to the SCOTUS, permanently destroying parts of this society. Has nothing to do with "the sky is falling", that's simple fact. The gop has to do whatever it can to limit the amount of damage she can do, and then come up with a better candidate than Trump in '20. That's the bottom line.

Trump is an exception, since he's an incompetent, petty, racist, sexist egomaniac, but most politicians are not going to cause serious damage even if you think their policies are wrong.

Funny how you think Trump could cause real damage since you attribute all those things to him, but fail to see how illary can cause just as much damage as the incompetent corrupt criminal sexist vile liar she is. Two sides, same crappy coin.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
See? This is why we can't have nice things. Uninformed, gullible voters.

Yep, that explains illary in '16 perfectly. Gullible uninformed voters such as yourself.

Failure to apply critical thought when faced with strongmen promising to fix their misery.

I'm not looking for some strongman to fix "misery", I'm looking for a candidate who doesn't want to screw things up further. This election we don't have that option. We just have to decide who will screw it up more and vote accordingly.

Educate yourself.

Physician, heal thyself!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Actually, a lot of that happened and a lot more would have happened if not for the limits put on the amount of damage he was able to do. He definitely tried (and continues to try) to destroy the right to bear arms, and if not for the NRA, conservatives and a good SCOTUS decision he would have been able to do it. We're now stuck with the disaster that is obummercare, we're stuck with at least a couple of idiot justices on the court for decades to come. The damage he has done is substantial.

She can do enormous amount of damage by virtue of being able to add de-facto lefty legislators to the SCOTUS, permanently destroying parts of this society. Has nothing to do with "the sky is falling", that's simple fact. The gop has to do whatever it can to limit the amount of damage she can do, and then come up with a better candidate than Trump in '20. That's the bottom line.

Funny how you think Trump could cause real damage since you attribute all those things to him, but fail to see how illary can cause just as much damage as the incompetent corrupt criminal sexist vile liar she is. Two sides, same crappy coin.

This is when you realize how hard it is to reason with someone who lives in his own reality. Tried to destroy the second amendment? What specifically did he do that heroic conservatives stopped? This is complete, hilarious nonsense.

This is seriously delusional ranting. I don't know what sort of media you consume but you need a break as it has badly warped your sense of reality.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Speaking of the NRA they've completely lost their minds calling voters with their an immigrant will shoot you in the face if you don't vote for Trump. This BS is why I never renewed my membership and don't want to be associated with them in any way. I have no problem with gun ownership, my problem lies with irresponsible gun ownership.

I did a research paper on Sandy Hook and guess what? If the AR15 had been secured it never wouldn't been used for the school shooting. The gun didn't do it but the fact that it was not secured by the mother made it available for illegal use. I've gone round and round with other gun owners who leave their junk lying around the house even with children around. When I bring up placing trigger locks on them they get angry at me and tell me to mind my own business. This is exactly why irresponsible gun owners need to be held accountable for foreseeable liability in these instances as they are the proximate causes.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Yea, is it me that's insane or have massive quantities of lysergic acid been put into the water supplies.

Maybe one day your side will stop looking down on everyone that disagree's with you. That day however is not today. Today once again your side looks upon everyone that thinks differently then you as a deplorable monster.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Sorry, there wasn't huge damage. The economy is much better than it was when Obama took office, as are international relations; he was not trying to destroy the right to bear arms, even if he'd had things entirely his way; he made social progress that the Bush Jr. administration had tried to reverse. Obamacare (you don't have to agree with it, but please act like an adult and call it by its name) is definitely flawed, but what was the Republican solution? Oh, right, Romney had argued for the same solution, and his party had no real answer other than "not that."

Permanently destroying parts of society how? Oh no, LGBT people, women and minorities might be treated as human beings with rights and dignity! And no, it's not simple fact. You're shrieking and howling about the end of the world because you disagree with the direction, not because you 'know' that Clinton will ruin the country. Hell, while I think Trump would be genuinely bad for the country, he wouldn't accomplish nearly as much as what he said he'd do.

Also, I don't think you'd like the candidate the Republicans would need to win in 2020. The candidate will need to be more inclusive than just about everyone who ran in the GOP primary -- that means being welcoming to women, LGBT people and minorities. It means completely ruling out gigantic border walls and blanket bans on whole religions. The next Republican president will need to comport themselves with restraint and intelligence.

False equivalency. Clinton actually has experience, and demonstrated competency (yes, Libya was a mess, but that's not the only thing that happened while she was Secretary of State... and remember, she was a state senator). Most of the corruption allegations have been dismissed as bunk. And sexist? Frankly, that's comic... she's not anti-men. She's not the one who bragged about sexual harassment and has dozens of allegations against her. And sorry, but she's far more truthful than Trump (Politifact even checked that). Trump not only tells lies throughout large portions of his speeches and debate appearances, he'll lie about having lied even when you have undeniable evidence of the original lie. Clinton is far from flawless, but I would much rather have her running the US than Trump.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Maybe one day your side will stop looking down on everyone that disagree's with you. That day however is not today. Today once again your side looks upon everyone that thinks differently then you as a deplorable monster.

No one here is looking down on people they disagree with. They're looking down on those that are VASTLY below any level of intelligence necessary to grasp simple concepts. I'll let you guess which side of the line you fall on.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Except for the part about it all being a bunch of lies, as is everything with her.

Time will tell, I hope.

I notice you didn't counter my remark about Trump's suckish policy. Righties are always too busy tearing down the dirty Democrats to realize that it's been the people they voted for tearing down the welfare of the middle class, too busy worshipping the false gods of the Job Creators.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

It's understandable that people like this are mad their vision of the past is being pushed away by modernity. First an african muslim president, now a woman, maybe even some gay or atheist person next; what is the world coming to.