Are you skipping Windows 8?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

?

• Y

• N

Results are only viewable after voting.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It's more like windows 7+ (when you install start8)

You now have Windows UI + Metro UI + Media Center UI, and you can easily change between them, using whichever you prefer.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
in 2 years:

Either MS will get back the win7 interface back,

OR MS will create a brand new interface that can be usable in desktops, and laptops that are desktop replacement.

OR one (or few) of the 3rd party start menu solution will be very famous and will become the standard, and will be supported by most code developers.

so as you see, windows 8 is not the future, and therefore there is not reason to 'learn' it, it is the past, exactly 20 years ago, I do not see it becoming the future and ditching 20 years of progress.
or 4: Metro gets refined next year with Windows Blue (aka Win8.5), moves to a OSX-like update schedule, and everyone gets used to it and moves on with their lives.

One thing is for sure though, Windows isn't going back to a Metro-free Win7 UI. They have to push mobile and Metro is the way they do that. To be relevant in five to ten years, they have to have a solid footing outside the desktop PC.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I skipped both Vista & Windows 7, but I have legit versions of both if I want / need to use them. My existing hardware, can't run the new ones, due to no Direct X 9 and not enough ram.

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
Metro is all about Microsoft having complete dominion over what "apps" you are able to buy and of course their mandating a cut for themselves on every software item. Sorry but I will never support this model.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Metro is all about Microsoft having complete dominion over what "apps" you are able to buy and of course their mandating a cut for themselves on every software item. Sorry but I will never support this model.

That is only a valid complaint (perhaps not even there) in regards to the RT tablet version of the operating system. There is nothing, repeat nothing, to keep you from installing and running applications the same way you have been doing with Windows for the last 20 years if we are talking about the desktop operating system.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Definitely skipping

I'm just fearing that Win9 will be even more tablet-heavy than Win8, and Win9 will probably be needed for DX12

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
That is only a valid complaint (perhaps not even there) in regards to the RT tablet version of the operating system. There is nothing, repeat nothing, to keep you from installing and running applications the same way you have been doing with Windows for the last 20 years if we are talking about the desktop operating system.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
Metro is about that, windows RT is about that and if you think this control and greed based model is going to stop there then I have a bridge to sell you. :)

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Metro is about that, windows RT is about that and if you think this control and greed based model is going to stop there then I have a bridge to sell you. :)

I'm sure MS would love to move to the "Apple" model of application control/sales at some point in the future, I will give you that. I thought we were talking about Windows 8 though and as of right now that just isn't the case. If Windows 11 has a closed ecosystem and this same question is asked of me then, I will certainly have a different answer. Right now Metro is an odd curiosity. I never use it, don't have a need to use it, thus Windows 8 seems fine to me.

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/store-terms-of-use

What apps can I get from the Windows Store?

"If you change your account settings to a different region...you might be required to repurchase... apps or content, even if you’ve already paid for them in the previous region.:thumbsdown:

Your use of the Windows Store is at your own risk."

--------------------------------------
What happens if I don’t want an app I already acquired?

"You don't have the right to cancel your purchase once you get the app.... all charges for apps are non-refundable"
fine... no refunds period... i get it.
however microsoft has the right to go into your computer and delete those apps at their whimsy (see below). F#$% that.

---------------------------
Can Microsoft remove apps or data from my device? in short... YES
in some cases "you may not be able to use apps or access content that you previously acquired or bought a license for.":thumbsdown:

"In cases where we remove a paid app from your Windows 8 device not at your direction, we may refund to you the amount you paid for the license.:thumbsdown:

"Some apps might also stop working if you update or change your Windows 8 device, or if you try to use those apps on a Windows 8 device with different features or processor type.":thumbsdown:

if "an app, or any content is changed or discontinued, your data could be deleted":thumbsdown: or you might not be able to retrieve data you have stored:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:.

We have no obligation to return data to you:thumbsdown:."

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I want Windows 8 because it's the first good looking Microsoft OS since Win2k. I've been running XP and 7 in classic mode, because I hate the Fisher Price look of the XP and I hate the Lisa Frank smeary rainbow look of 7.

Last edited:

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
I'm sure MS would love to move to the "Apple" model of application control/sales at some point in the future, I will give you that. I thought we were talking about Windows 8 though and as of right now that just isn't the case. If Windows 11 has a closed ecosystem and this same question is asked of me then, I will certainly have a different answer. Right now Metro is an odd curiosity. I never use it, don't have a need to use it, thus Windows 8 seems fine to me.
I agree, it's a curiosity. However I believe that microsoft is beginning to show its hand as to how it wants to be with the metro store, and it makes sense for them if they can pull it off because they will have total dominion over what is on your computer.

Right now they're also pushing the software as a subscription model with the office suite (getting college students used to the idea as we speak). Windows Blue will be out in 1 year and metro apps will no longer be available, you'll have to create "Blue" apps as a dev. It's pretty clear that headed towards pushing a pseudo-subscription OS model now as well. Every year, a new OS.

Directx 11.1 only on Windows 8
Windows 8 Metro apps will not be sold once "Blue" comes out
Office as a subscription.

All ideas based on pushing money to Microsoft on a yearly basis in order to keep up and running with the same functionality as before.

Then there is the Orwellian-like editorial control that microsoft seeks to wield over what apps will even be available to Metro Users. Undoubtedly this will continue with Blue and onwards.

Dictating what kinds of programs can be built for metro:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

Wanting to Dictate what kinds of programs customers can buy:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PE...re-TEd-Dworkin-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV,19800.html

Wanting to Actively Spy on Customers to Leverage More $$$:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/big-bro...ny-friends-youve-got-in-your-living-room.html
"The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.” It’s that blatant – a system to spy on private viewing habits."

Microsoft is paint a pretty clear picture of where they want to be.
I'd say crystal...

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/store-terms-of-use

That is all fine and dandy. Sounds a lot like other mobile app store rules. Still, what exactly does all of that have to do with the Windows 8 desktop operating system?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Not skipping, personally I like the new UI and use it with a traditional mouse and keyboard just fine.

Same here. And once I figured out the keyboard shortcuts like winkey+c and winkey+x it made it even easier to use.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I agree, it's a curiosity. However I believe that microsoft is beginning to show its hand as to how it wants to be with the metro store, and it makes sense for them if they can pull it off because they will have total dominion over what is on your computer.

I agree with all of your concerns, I have many of them myself. I am not 100% convinced that MS is going to go this direction with their desktop OS, but it is certainly possible. I do believe that MS will have a closed ecosystem for their mobile devices, that seems pretty clear. I really hope they rethink closing the desktop as well.

I guess we can all hope that Linux, after some 20 years or so, will finally fulfill the promise of being an actual alternative to MS and Apple. That takes getting professional software / drivers available however and that seems to be where the road has ended for all of these years.

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
I agree with all of your concerns, I have many of them myself. I am not 100% convinced that MS is going to go this direction with their desktop OS, but it is certainly possible. I do believe that MS will have a closed ecosystem for their mobile devices, that seems pretty clear. I really hope they rethink closing the desktop as well.

I guess we can all hope that Linux, after some 20 years or so, will finally fulfill the promise of being an actual alternative to MS and Apple. That takes getting professional software / drivers available however and that seems to be where the road has ended for all of these years.

i agree with you, and the desktop isn't there yet with win 8... my concern is that the desktop may be diminished moving into win blue --> green --> algae --> etc.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Won't be using Winblows 8 anytime in the future. It was hard enough for me to start using Winblows 7. I'm an XP fan.

I will say that I plan on installing Win 8 into a virtual machine just to get the hang of it so that I can help people with computer problems that may be using Win 8.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Won't be using Winblows 8 anytime in the future. It was hard enough for me to start using Winblows 7. I'm an XP fan.

I will say that I plan on installing Win 8 into a virtual machine just to get the hang of it so that I can help people with computer problems that may be using Win 8.

I never understand anybody that still uses XP,its over a decade old full of security holes,I removed it years ago ,it was replaced by Linux on one of my PCs which I would rather use over XP anyday,unless you got Vista,Win7,Win8 etc.. for gaming:) .

I did not skip Win8 ,I also thinks its very good OS ,got it installed on three PCs all upgraded from 7,no issues with drivers,gaming or anything else,I will also be going over to Win9 as well down the road,not sure if I'm going to do a yearly upgrade on OS however if Microsoft go that way,every three years seemed like a nice time line to me.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Just decided to install it on my laptop too. I don't use the metro UI and I run start8, so it's basically 99% the same as win7, just faster.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
o_O

Are there others that think this as well? I've never anyone that didn't like Win7's look.
I disliked the flat glass of Win7. I much preferred the look of Vista which is still my favorite Windows. For /appearance/, I like the look of Win8, and I could use it with little difficulty. I'd try to remove all the metro apps because they have no place on a desktop, but I'm ok with the start screen.