Are you skipping Windows 8?

?

• Y

• N

Results are only viewable after voting.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Microsoft bought into the myth that everyone wants to be mobile computing, will no longer purchase or build another desktop and will therefore make the mouse extinct.

They figure you want to use your finger to do things and they think you want to use a desktop OS that resembes your phone OS (tiles / icons).

Win8 is a navigational nightmare.

I will be skipping it.

Will you?

Last edited:

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Skipping it, I think that windows 7 is probably going to be around as long as XP.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
For my work and home computer i will be skipping, but I'm forced to use it on the XPS 12 convertible work gave me.

Its pretty bad, I'm giving it the best chance I can trying to learn the touch motions and such. But... its pretty bad.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Depends on if I need a new PC. I don't bother upgrading OSes on my existing machines (only time I did was because uni gave me a free copy of Win7), but when I get a new one I get the most up to date Windows there is.

Plus, I'm hearing surprisingly good things about how pleasant it is to use on a traditional laptop with a touchscreen. Mixed inputs FTW.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I don't see much point in getting this version, it doesn't seem to have anything I would want versus 7. And then I used it at work and hated it. Hell, I use 7 and there's a lot of things I still hate about that version as well.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I have upgraded to every new versions of windows since 3.1
I tried Win8.
A complete disaster. Pure garbage.:thumbsdown:

Back to Win7 and loving it.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Microsoft bought into the myth that everyone wants to be mobile computing, will no longer purchase or build another desktop and will therefore make the mouse extinct.

They figure you want to use your finger to do things and they think you want to use a desktop OS that resembes your phone OS (tiles / icons).

Win8 is sheer and utter garbage. A navigational nightmare.

I will be skipping it.

Will you?
i disagree but im not in love with some of what they have done. a lot of nice stuff in the background. im ok enough with it that id upgrade if my machine wasnt about 4 years old now and a driver headache to get windows 8 installed.

that and i like 7 enough. id like some of the features of 8 but it doesnt bother me not to have them.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I'm skipping it so far, but I did install it on my wife's laptop because I had a few free copies. The problem is the "Tile" interface is completely unnecessary on a desktop OS. Tim Cook from Apple recently said it best <paraphrase>: "You'll notice that our mobile and desktop operating systems are optimized for their platforms, but they still interact well together. That's our strength."

Microsoft approached the problem like they were trying to reverse-engineer some kind of alien technology. They crammed a touch interface onto a desktop OS that's proving to be completely worthless. It's not more efficient because it requires more clicks to do common tasks, it's not easier because some features require precise mouse movements (the corner controls drive me crazy with a touchpad), and because the Tile screen is so large it often requires a lot of scrolling to get to the area you want.

My biggest gripe about touch screens on PC's and laptops: I know I have to wipe off the screen of my smartphone on my pantleg every 10 minutes. How the hell are you going to keep the gross streaks off of your laptop screen? Have you seen the Win8 laptops at Best Buy? The screens look like they're smeared with booger-encrusted slime. Gross.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Win8 plus Start8. Configured this way its highly usable and blazingly fast.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I skipped Win7, and Win8, and probably every Windows going forward.

JlgE9.png

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Home use I'll probably try it out on my tablets.

Work use - every district I work for has (thankfully) decided to stick with 7 until MS incorporates an official way to turn off Metro. There is no reason for a touch based UI to be installed on desktops with a kb/mouse.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes and no. I have 4 copies from my daughter's ACM account but, at this time, based on what I have seen, I don't plan on using them. Maybe I'll wait to see if there are SP's that give it more of what I'm used to.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I just upgraded to W7 from XP last year (new build) so I don't see any reason to bump up again to W8 so soon. I'm building an HTPC and I'll put W7 on it as well, just to keep everything the same.

It's kind of funny, I resisted W7 (I'm still mentally scarred from Windows ME...) I really like XP and still have 3 machines running XP; but now I go and work on them and I'm like... Win7 isn't so bad after all. I have it looking as close to XP as I can, but it's pretty solid!

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I like my monitor to have a clean screen with no fingerprints or smudges on it. Going 8 will stop that from happening for Im sure most "new" monitors that will be coming out will be touch screen, and thats gonna suck too.

fritzfield

Mar 4, 2003
I bought it for $40 from MS. However, I also downloaded the free Windows 8 for dummies from Dell, and based on what the author described in the preface, I am holding off installing it as I am happy with 7.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Yes, I updated to Windows 8 from 7. Don't love it, but I'm still getting used it.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have 8 on a selectable drive machine along with 7. I use it as a training device for myself, and it seems OK as long as I use Start8 with it. OTH, I will skip it as my primary OS. I will keep 8 and use it in order to learn it. This week, it got 19 updates!

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Yes and no. I have 4 copies from my daughter's ACM account but, at this time, based on what I have seen, I don't plan on using them. Maybe I'll wait to see if there are SP's that give it more of what I'm used to.

I think service packs are a thing of the past. Each version of Windows since 2000 has had fewer of them.

2000 - 4 SPs
XP - 3 SPs
Vista - 2 SPs
7 - 1 SP
8 - expect 0 SPs, but yearly updates

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Got it free from dreamspark, unfortunately getting windows 8 for free is like being given a dead kitten for free :mad:

Skipping this POS.