Are you happy with America?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
OP i think you are spot on with your post and I agree with every point you made. What can we do though besides listen to both sides bitch at each other. Third parties still aren't even viable yet.
It's not a matter of being viable "yet". The current electoral system makes it highly unlikely that a third party can ever be viable except under periods of extreme political volatility. The rules of the game would need to be changed to make the political landscape viable for more diverse political representation. Of course that won't happen without some dramatic event I have yet to imagine because the Republicrats fight to protect their one party state tooth and nail.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I'd tend to be optimistic..... So, I'd say the country is doing well tho, I'm not happy about the oil slick washing up on the east coast but.... Shit happens hopefully we can get it capped quickly.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
US terrorizes everyone at least they can get their hooks on. Why should people living in the states have to deal with this primitive monkeying that's going on in front and behind your back? :rolleyes: It's like a circus show for freaks.

US are the terrorist not the other way around. You instigate in other countries and people's affairs you going to get haters and suicide bombers. D:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
It's not a matter of being viable "yet". The current electoral system makes it highly unlikely that a third party can ever be viable except under periods of extreme political volatility. The rules of the game would need to be changed to make the political landscape viable for more diverse political representation. Of course that won't happen without some dramatic event I have yet to imagine because the Republicrats fight to protect their one party state tooth and nail.

True. The only way it actually happens in our system is when a popular candidate with one of the two main parties loses a primary and runs third party. Teddy Roosevelt with the Bull Moose (Progressive) Party taking more votes than the republican party, but still losing to Wilson. More recently, Lieberman in Connecticut, or possibily Crist in Florida. But those aren't true third party victories.

The next closest thing is when a candidate with a third party ideology, with backing from a third party voting bloc, runs as a dem or rep. The Pauls are the obvious example. And of course, those guys know better than to run as Libertarians.

- wolf

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I'd tend to be optimistic..... So, I'd say the country is doing well tho, I'm not happy about the oil slick washing up on the east coast but.... Shit happens hopefully we can get it capped quickly.

i also think this oil spill is the worst thing to happen to america ever in my lifetime, and it's only getting worse. in a way, i think its worse than 9/11 and i know i'll get flamed for saying it and i apologize to anyone who's had love ones died during it or during any of the BS conflicts that we're fighting because of it, but the oil spill destroyed an entire regions way of living and fucking the environment and our food at the same time. it pretty much made the gulf of the US an undesirable place to be, and that will be with us for generations.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
True. The only way it actually happens in our system is when a popular candidate with one of the two main parties loses a primary and runs third party. Teddy Roosevelt with the Bull Moose (Progressive) Party taking more votes than the republican party, but still losing to Wilson. More recently, Lieberman in Connecticut, or possibily Crist in Florida. But those aren't true third party victories.

The next closest thing is when a candidate with a third party ideology, with backing from a third party voting bloc, runs as a dem or rep. The Pauls are the obvious example. And of course, those guys know better than to run as Libertarians.

- wolf

This brings up an interesting point that can be applied to my original question. I personally like Ron Paul and would vote for him in a heart beat. But lets say Ron Paul won as a RINO but was able to adopt most of his agenda/thoughts into American politics.

Do you think America would get better then it is now with someone like Ron Paul as pres and congress of like mind? I know most people dont like ALL of his views, but maybe that is the kind of shake up we need to get back on the right track.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
US terrorizes everyone at least they can get their hooks on. Why should people living in the states have to deal with this primitive monkeying that's going on in front and behind your back? :rolleyes: It's like a circus show for freaks.

US are the terrorist not the other way around. You instigate in other countries and people's affairs you going to get haters and suicide bombers. D:

Only thing I want to hear out of you is "Here's your order of kimchi, anything else sir?"

Jul 10, 2007
i also think this oil spill is the worst thing to happen to america ever in my lifetime, and it's only getting worse. in a way, i think its worse than 9/11 and i know i'll get flamed for saying it and i apologize to anyone who's had love ones died during it or during any of the BS conflicts that we're fighting because of it, but the oil spill destroyed an entire regions way of living and fucking the environment and our food at the same time. it pretty much made the gulf of the US an undesirable place to be, and that will be with us for generations.

you've got to be kidding me.

a couple of dead birds vs. 4000 dead humans.
an accident vs. an intentional act (of war)

the oil spill will be cleaned up and measures will be taken so that it won't happen again. there's enough financial incentive for companies to take greater precautions when drilling in the future.

the landscape of america was changed in a day on 9/11.
soldiers were deployed across the world as a response to this.
our views on terrorism and national security were completely reshaped because of one event.

please do not even compare the two.
how old are you, dare i ask?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Were the Irish a drain on society ? What about the Germans ? Scandinavians ?

The current immigrants are no different than any one else, they work, they increase gdp, they increase productivity and grow the economy.

You aren't paying for them, they are keeping you rich.

Last I checked most of them were taken in legally with specific established quotas.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Last I checked most of them were taken in legally with specific established quotas.

I don't believe there were quotas, and the current immigrants are only illegal because we decided to make it illegal.

We could make cornbread illegal but that wouldn't mean cornbread is bad for you.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Yes, because no other country in the world instigates or involves themselves in other countries' affairs. :rolleyes:

Hell North Korea, arguably the most politically isolated country on the globe, whines and bitches to the world and rattles its rotting wooden saber.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why is it bad that people do not understand how fragile our democracy? Or why is our democracy fragile?

Why do people not understand how fragile our democracy is? I don't care about good or bad.

And:

I: Our culture does not seemed to have adopted to certain modern realities: people are too materialistic despite wealth, stupid despite amazing educational opportunities, unhealthy and overworked despite scientific and technological advancements.

M: Why?

We don't know anything because we make assumptions that we do know things. We rest at the point of our assumptions. You assume things about people. I ask you why people are as you assume. You assume that is just the way they are, which is why I don't get an answer. I don't know what you know so I don't make your assumptions.