Are you allowed to leave your building on your work break.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I could, but my power plant is so far out in the sticks that there's no where to go. I can make my lunch as long as I want to though for the days we want to go out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
LUNCH

Old job: No. But I worked in a microchip fab and even with 1 hour lunches they didnt want us venturing too far. It was factory work after all.

New job: Yes, but its pointless. We are only allowed to put in an 8 hour day and have to deduct our lunch time. Since I can get in and out of the cafeteria in 15 minutes I try to do so. It helps me log as many minutes as possible.

BREAKS

Kept to a minimum at both jobs. But in the new one we are technically allowed to come and go as we please. No one stands next to you and tells you to keep busy. Its refreshing to be treated as an adult.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
to answer the question, I used to be able to go over to the gas station if I wanted to but there wasn't anything else that I could do within fifteen minutes. now, I can do whatever I want during my hour lunch and I can go outside to smoke a bunch of times during the day.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Deeko
meh, I'm salaried, it doesn't really matter where I am when, so long as I get my work done and I make any required meetings.

that pretty much covers it

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Don't really get breaks per say and not allowed to leave at all. If we want to take a 5-10 min break to eat lunch or something we just let the other person we are working with know and step into the back room for a bit.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
Both my jobs are on-campus development positions. One of them I can work from my house, the other I have to go in for. However, since it is a university job and both my bosses are sweet I can pretty much leave when ever I want for how ever long I want assuming I get my work done.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
My crew can come and go as they please for their 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunches. It's their time, not mine.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
As long as I get my work done no one really cares what I do....especially since my boss it out on maternity leave.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: skywhr
you get 2 15 minute breaks outside of your lunch?

i thought that was a pretty common thing?
where i work, we only get an unpaid hour of lunch and a paid 20 minute break.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I come and go as I please. Also I have users I support in other buildings that I have to drive to, so I can use that as an excuse to be gone awhile if need be. As long as my tickets are getting done (I do desktop support), no one asks any questions.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Summit
y would u need to leave ur building?

Fixed your spelling there.

I don't get 2 15 minute breaks or a 30 minute break... I just work 40 hours a week at whatever time I want and they don't really care what I do or where I do it.

You do get the 15 minute breaks and they are paid. It's the law

Depends on the state. I remember when I lived in Virginia and Texas working 10+ hours with no type of break.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
At my night job, breaks and lunches amount to 1hr. Smoke breaks and coffee breaks are extra. 6-8 times a night is the norm.

At the day job, we automatically get 1hr on the clock before we even begin work. Then during slow days where we finish early we'd get another hour sitting around waiting for lunch time to roll around. Smoke breaks in between.

At my old job, one hour plus lunch breaks eating out are all on the clock. So is coffee breaks and breakfast breaks to Timmy Ho and McD. Lunch at the mall, etc. Sometimes we charge overtime when we sit in the lunch room for an hour ;)

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: AccruedExpenditure
Wth, do you people work in sweatshops or something?

No shit. I am trying to figure out how an employer is going to tell me I cannot leave the building when on a break or lunch. I would simply do as I please. You are at work not jail. Where the hell do you people work that they tell you that you cannot leave the building during the day?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am an engineer, I have tasks and schedules, they don't care if I go to the moon and back as long as I deliver those tasks on schedule, and if I can get internet on the moon, I can do the work from there.