Are you a patriot?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: burnedout
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: 308nato
Thats all pretty funny really. We out here in the hinterlands that sleep with the doors unlocked and leave the keys in the car always thought that the urban types were the ignorant ones. Guess I was wrong. Damn.

I mean, why should I live in the middle of 200 acres and enjoy the outdoor life peaceably co-existing with nature and my good friends and neighbors. I could be living in an overpriced union built home with my neighbors dwelling so close I can pee from my bedroom window to theirs. Of course, I wouldn't even know their name. I could have one of those cool alarm systems to. The best thing would be living amongst the enlightened intelligencia of urban sprawl.

Damn this view of timber and fields of green, damn these honest hardworking folks that would give me the shirt off their back. Damn the torpedoes.
This thread was about the feelings of moral superiority comming from the red belt of Bush's support. Aren't you a little off topic. :D
Or the perception of cultural superiority, coupled with social profiling and stereotypical bigotry radiating from the desperate Gesellschaft mentality.

Interesting notion of WW II tactics in an Axis region. Perhaps a reason to give dictatorial powers in 1933.
Actually, more along the lines of Gemeinschaft (community) and Gesellschaft (association) from classical sociological thought. Unfortunately, my points relating to social profiling and stereotypical bigotry are further illustrated by your statement.

That is exactly why I used the example. Any use of social profiling and stereotypical bigotry in any manner is dangerous and often results in the underlying objectives of the one using such.
OK, sorry Ray. I misunderstood you and admit it.
I'm sorry, I was cryptic and see how you could rightly draw the conclusion..

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm citing these as my source:

A Certain Logic - Selected Works of John Dewey.
Auguste Comte and Positivism
Center for Advanced Research in Phenomenology Inc
Contemporary Philosophy, Critical Theory and Postmodern Thought
Cultural Studies and Critical Theory
Illuminations: the Critical Theory website
Marxist Media Theory
Promethean Literacy: Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of Reading, Praxis and Liberation by Richard Gibson
Rational Life (A)
Sarah Zupko's Cultural Studies Center: Articles/Papers - General Theory
Articles/Papers/Reports (individual) Up
Alienation, Power, and Gender in Sociological Theory: A Study of Marx, Foucault, and Feminism
Bruno Latour's Keynote Speech: On Recalling ANT: July 1997, 'Actor Network and After' Workshop
Creation of Theory: A Recent Application of the Grounded Theory
Critical Theory and the Crisis of Social Theory
Garfinkel - Ethnomethodology
In perspective: Theodor Adorno
Inclusive and Restrictive Views of Ideology over Time
Michel Callon's Keynote Speech: Actor-Network Theory - The Market Test: July 1997, 'Actor Network and After' Workshop
Objects, Spaces, Others' (draft) by John Law
Postmodern Culture
Postmodernism and its Critics
Theory: The Necessary Evil
Thinking Sociologically with Mathematics
Topology and the Naming of Complexity (draft), by John Law
Traduction /Trahison - Notes on ANT, by John Law
Bibliographic Databases Up
Actor Network Resource: An Annotated Bibliography (Version 2.2)
Bibliographies Up
Ethnomethodology & Conversation Analysis After 1989
Books/Book Equivalents Up
Classiques des Sciences Sociales
Problem Contexts and Response Modes
Educational Materials Up
Intellectual currents of the twentieth century
John Law: Home Page
Malthus' HomePage: "A site for undergraduates"
Marvin Harris's Cultural Materialism
Verstehen: Max Weber's HomePage
Journals (full text) Up
CTHEORY: international journal of theory, technology and culture
Cultural Logic: An Electronic Journal of Marxist Theory and Practice
Electronic Journal of Business and Organization Ethics
Electronic Journal of Radical Organisation Theory
j_spot: Journal of Social and Political Thought
Qualitative Report (The)
Mailing Lists/Discussion Groups Up
futures mailing list archive
Organisations/Societies Up
Association for Humanist Sociology
Grounded Theory Institute (The)
Marxist Internet Archive
National Commission on Teaching & America's Future
Open Society Institute - Budapest
Research Projects/Centres Up
Analyzing Social Interaction
Bakhtin Centre (The)
Sarah Zupko's Cultural Studies Center: Theorists and Critics
The Web Site for Critical Realism
Resource Guides Up
Everything Postmodern
George's Page
Gerhard Lenski's Ecological-Evolutionary Social Theory
Norbert Elias and Process Sociology
Peter J Burke Homepage
Postmodern Thought
Sociology Central
Sociology of Knowledge

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Gee Moonbeam, you read all of them.. :) Not one is familiar to me. See Mom said you were smarter... but, she liked me more.. :)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I have seen Christians I deeply admire. Then again I have seen people who call themselves Christian who pick up their cross and crucify Christ daily with their hypocrisy. Bush is among the latter.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Gee Moonbeam, you read all of them.. :) Not one is familiar to me. See Mom said you were smarter... but, she liked me more.. :)
Well I was definitley feeling outclassed by burnedout there. Perhaps I should just say what the hell does "Actually, more along the lines of Gemeinschaft (community) and Gesellschaft (association) from classical sociological thought." mean. I was just trying to say you can list stuff without knowing what it means, and you can list stuff as a means of obfuscation too. Rather than use them big words why not just say what (they, you) mean. I'm so in to soceology Google had to spell it for me.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
I have seen Christians I deeply admire. Then again I have seen people who call themselves Christian who pick up their cross and crucify Christ daily with their hypocrisy. Bush is among the latter.

My Gramma always said "Pretty is as pretty does" I suppose this holds true for all actions as viewed from the perspective of our belief and understanding. I rather doubt OBL or SH thinks Bush is doing good stuff and If I don't either then I find my self in a quandry... But, easily rectified by my perch.. and the old standby.. "two wrongs don't make a right"..

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

Yup, and I was sort of suggesting it comes from living among restrictively morally conforming people who are quick to ridicule the immoral because they themselves are moral due only to external pressure, that ingrown everybody knows everybody, can't get away with jack, ready to tar and feather, crowd, as opposed to being moral from personal strength, understanding, and compassion. I think when you have to be moral and it's for appearance's sake, it makes you pissed off when others are not similarly self-constrained.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Well I was definitley feeling outclassed by burnedout there. Perhaps I should just say what the hell does "Actually, more along the lines of Gemeinschaft (community) and Gesellschaft (association) from classical sociological thought." mean. I was just trying to say you can list stuff without knowing what it means, and you can list stuff as a means of obfuscation too. Rather than use them big words why not just say what (they, you) mean. I'm so in to soceology Google had to spell it for me.

Huh? :)

I think I think what I think because it makes sense to me. I tend to keep thinking what I think until something else comes along that makes more sense. But, I stay in my box where it is safe.. so I'm not subject to much intellectual thought aside from this forum.. Tis why I have a bag on my head.. :)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Someone should bust out with the Mellencamp for this thread...

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I thought that bag meant "In it what is in it." I kept seeing my Beloved. :D Huh?

By all means what is in it is beloved by what is in it.. one cannot truly love another lest they love themselves..

Regarding your response to Winston: I'd say that despite the pressure of community some beliefs transcend that, I think. There is much distance between farms in some parts. This distance provides individuality but consistency within the family. All want acceptance, I guess, so they conform to the Alpha leader in outward expression but, maintain what they hold dear otherwise.. IMO.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Educated in a small town

I like that Johnny Cash poem about why he wore Black.. I think it also was a song.. about the downtrodden who are passed by and the guy who wanted to get on with life after 10 years in jail..

I lived in the smallest of towns growing up.. NYC. Nothing can be smaller than living there.. Think about it..

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Thats all pretty funny really. We out here in the hinterlands that sleep with the doors unlocked and leave the keys in the car always thought that the urban types were the ignorant ones. Guess I was wrong. Damn.

I mean, why should I live in the middle of 200 acres and enjoy the outdoor life peaceably co-existing with nature and my good friends and neighbors. I could be living in an overpriced union built home with my neighbors dwelling so close I can pee from my bedroom window to theirs. Of course, I wouldn't even know their name. I could have one of those cool alarm systems to. The best thing would be living amongst the enlightened intelligencia of urban sprawl.

Damn this view of timber and fields of green, damn these honest hardworking folks that would give me the shirt off their back. Damn the torpedoes.
This thread was about the feelings of moral superiority comming from the red belt of Bush's support. Aren't you a little off topic. :D
Or the perception of cultural superiority, coupled with social profiling and stereotypical bigotry radiating from the desperate Gesellschaft mentality.

Perception of cultural superiority? You really can't be that blind. Americans believe their lifestyle is the best, and that everybody should adopt. Almost every war the US has ever been involved in had had to do with what the Americans believing that their lifestyle is the better life. And the same with morality. God and his morality is the only accepted morality... any other form is blasphemy.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Moralpanic

Perception of cultural superiority? You really can't be that blind. Americans believe their lifestyle is the best, and that everybody should adopt. Almost every war the US has ever been involved in had had to do with what the Americans believing that their lifestyle is the better life. And the same with morality. God and his morality is the only accepted morality... any other form is blasphemy.
Um... you haven't been following the thread. The concept of "cultural" superiority from the Gesellschaft position was implied as an antithesis to the accusation of "moral" superiority within the Gemeinschaft.

Jan 12, 2003
To quote Good Will Hunting:

"That's your problem; you are reading all the wrong f*cking books!"

:)

Malthus' HomePage: "A site for undergraduates"

I did an undergrad thesis on Malthus and Malthusian Economics...wouldn't expect you to read Malthus, Moonie...That Marxist nonsense, sure, not not Malthus.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Um... you haven't been following the thread. The concept of "cultural" superiority from the Gesellschaft position was implied as an antithesis to the accusation of "moral" superiority within the Gemeinschaft.
------------------------------
Huh?

==================
I did an undergrad thesis on Malthus and Malthusian Economics...wouldn't expect you to read Malthus, Moonie...That Marxist nonsense, sure, not not Malthus.
--------------------------
Huh? Not not Malthus=Malthus right?
================

Are you two out to impress or to inform. If it is to inform please try to saying something. So far you are talking to yourselves, respectively.

Professor Herr Strumpmeyerson says you heads are overstuffed. Where's the beef?

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Educated in a small town

I like that Johnny Cash poem about why he wore Black.. I think it also was a song.. about the downtrodden who are passed by and the guy who wanted to get on with life after 10 years in jail..

I lived in the smallest of towns growing up.. NYC. Nothing can be smaller than living there.. Think about it..
Rather profound, Ray. In response, all I can add is a quote from one of the German 'giants' who had considerable influence (through Parks) on the Chicago school:

"It is obviously only the obverse of this freedom, if, under certain circumstances one nowhere feels as lonely and lost as in the metropolitan crowd" - Georg Simmel.

todesengel

Banned
Mar 29, 2002
The Radio was talking about the meaning of patriotism last night...

The radio was "talking" to you last night? You must have been tuned into NPR and forgot to wear your aluminum foil hat.

As the self-appointed American hater of this forum, you obviously like to see your poorly written diatribes posted here. The only problem is, you have diarrhea of the mouth, which is not surprising since you have sh!t for brains.

I don't recall you being critical of Bill Clinton's administration, given all his glaring faults and foibles. What exactly do you think this country needs to turn things around to please you?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: todesengel

The Radio was talking about the meaning of patriotism last night...

The radio was "talking" to you last night? You must have been tuned into NPR and forgot to wear your aluminum foil hat.

Ve-ry nice :) ...I picture him with the hat on, big red clown nose, sitting in front of his circus mirror, and with a copy of the LA Times in one hand and Hillary's "It takes a Village" in the other.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

As the self-appointed American hater of this forum, you obviously like to see your poorly written diatribes posted here. The only problem is, you have diarrhea of the mouth, which is not surprising since you have sh!t for brains.

I don't recall you being critical of Bill Clinton's administration, given all his glaring faults and foibles. What exactly do you think this country needs to turn things around to please you?
============
Ve-ry nice ...I picture him with the hat on, big red clown nose, sitting in front of his circus mirror, and with a copy of the LA Times in one hand and Hillary's "It takes a Village" in the other.
----------------------------
Huh?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Moralpanic

LOL or perhaps you're in the wrong thread?