Are you a patriot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
nah, Republicans will only teach you how to fish if you sell your soul to them.

Jan 12, 2003
2.) One who wants to pay people to not be productive members of society, beleives the United States is to blame for all of the worlds problems, demands recounts until the results favor their candidates, and beleives in perverting the US constitution into a completely different document by making up amnedments and incorporating the manendments that they like. See also Grimrider

3.) person who feels that Saddam will simply throw down his weapons and give everyone a group hug. Someone who you might catch saying, "We have no right to kill someone who has raped over 50 women and children!"

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Hmmmm. Republican ("ree-pub-li-kan")

An individual who believes that the white male Christian God should be the only object of worship on the planet, that power and wealth should remain in the hands of 1% of the world's population while the remaining 99% starve, that health care should be privatized so the poor can't afford basic medication, that a rape victim living on welfare should be forced to care for a baby she didn't even ask for, and that America is the only real country on Earth while all those other countries they read about are just fakes invented by communists...oh wait, it's terrorists now, isn't it?

We can all hope that the standard of education in America improves to the point where a Republican can no longer be voted into office.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Hmmmm. George Bush ("STOP YOUR BITCHIN")

Christian Ultra-Nationalist who has been brought up in war, taught war, and now plans to try and finish what his daddy could never do using war. Proven to have the lowest IQ of all the presidents in the history of USA, and twisted the system to be elected, dispite the fact he did not win the majority of votes.

Look on CNN children, see all those dead people? They have been George Bush'ed.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: alchemize
I just want to know Moonie, what is your definition of "is"?
Sure:

Oh my Beloved, wherever I look it appears to be Thou.

Or:

When you is, you is.

But what about

When you ain't, you ain't?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I just want to know Moonie, what is your definition of "is"?
Sure:

Oh my Beloved, wherever I look it appears to be Thou.

Or:

When you is, you is.

But what about

When you ain't, you ain't?

You tell me.

=========================

Hmmm....I don't live in California. Does that count?
-------------------------
Well I don't know. Can you count?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
LOL I like urbandictionary. Liberal:

1. An individual or group of individuals that embrace all views...unless you disagree with them

or

2)One whose beliefs are based on what makes them feel good and noble though these beliefs are often anti-intellectual and anti-common sense. These beliefs often result in a greater degree of human misery.

I'll add to #2: See also, the United Nations

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
OMG, whomever posted UrbanDictionary.com - thanks. It's damn funny:

Conservative ("con-serv-uh-tuv")

Mentally challenged and afraid of change even if it has been proven to be benefitial. Characteristics include lack of respect for fellow humans, owning more guns than Charleton Heston and buggering minors. Often disguise their acts by making friends with right-wing politicians, police and other imperialistic groups. Often quotes Rush Limbaugh whose followers are known as dickheads.

"If I were a repressed, rich, white man unable to think for myself, I would be conservative."

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
LOL I like urbandictionary. Liberal:

1. An individual or group of individuals that embrace all views...unless you disagree with them

or

2)One whose beliefs are based on what makes them feel good and noble though these beliefs are often anti-intellectual and anti-common sense. These beliefs often result in a greater degree of human misery.

I'll add to #2: See also, the United Nations
Those are interesting definitions, even though we've already been through the fact that how words are defined, with other words, depends on what those other words mean subconsciously in an endlessly retreating room of mirrors.

But let's look at what you said. Def one is meaningless, no? How could you disagree if they embrace your view, pray tell.

We know from Socrates, I would assume, that what makes a man feel good is truth, the highest good. No? Therefore to know the truth, the highest good would make a man feel noble since he would be at one with the highest good. We also know from Socrates that not only was he not anti-intellectual, he was killed because his intellect was of such a high order that he was able, on a daily basis, to show that what passed for common sense among his fellow Greeks was nothing more or less that utter nonsense. They wanted to believe in ignoble things to preserve their egos. We know also that the Greatest Intellectual, God himself in the form of Jesus Christ, taught in children's parables because truth is not in words. It can be reached neither by what passes for intellect nor what passes for common sense. Common sense is that which leads away from self confrontation, self recognition and self embarrassment. So truth, we see, is neither intellectual nor found commonly in what we call common knowledge. Once you see into the absurd and upside down nature of the first part of 2, you know what to make of this: "These beliefs often result in a greater degree of human misery." Right, those who know nothing of these beliefs know nothing of the degree or nature of human misery.

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Hmmmm. George Bush ("STOP YOUR BITCHIN")

Christian Ultra-Nationalist who has been brought up in war, taught war, and now plans to try and finish what his daddy could never do using war. Proven to have the lowest IQ of all the presidents in the history of USA, and twisted the system to be elected, dispite the fact he did not win the majority of votes.

Look on CNN children, see all those dead people? They have been George Bush'ed.
If only most of us would bother to dig it up, more will see to it that something is obviously wrong with the bush regime. Ever since his inaugurmentation, our way of life has been changed forever, etched in stone reminding us that this will be the day we will never forget. I think the rest of world still believes that the world is flat? because most think so?
yea all those website that are bashing bush are just doing it out of their boredom? hahaha, thats really funny and sum up what a pro busher does to hide truth from the public's interest.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Mooner -

You know what ? - You can't legislate morality in this country any better than the Taliban did in Afganistan.

Exactly.

Today is the deadline for the Barrow County Courthouse to take down the plaque of the Ten Commandments.

After that they will be petitioned to stucco over the "In God We Trust" on the building walls.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Thats all pretty funny really. We out here in the hinterlands that sleep with the doors unlocked and leave the keys in the car always thought that the urban types were the ignorant ones. Guess I was wrong. Damn.

I mean, why should I live in the middle of 200 acres and enjoy the outdoor life peaceably co-existing with nature and my good friends and neighbors. I could be living in an overpriced union built home with my neighbors dwelling so close I can pee from my bedroom window to theirs. Of course, I wouldn't even know their name. I could have one of those cool alarm systems to. The best thing would be living amongst the enlightened intelligencia of urban sprawl.

Damn this view of timber and fields of green, damn these honest hardworking folks that would give me the shirt off their back. Damn the torpedoes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: 308nato
Thats all pretty funny really. We out here in the hinterlands that sleep with the doors unlocked and leave the keys in the car always thought that the urban types were the ignorant ones. Guess I was wrong. Damn.

I mean, why should I live in the middle of 200 acres and enjoy the outdoor life peaceably co-existing with nature and my good friends and neighbors. I could be living in an overpriced union built home with my neighbors dwelling so close I can pee from my bedroom window to theirs. Of course, I wouldn't even know their name. I could have one of those cool alarm systems to. The best thing would be living amongst the enlightened intelligencia of urban sprawl.

Damn this view of timber and fields of green, damn these honest hardworking folks that would give me the shirt off their back. Damn the torpedoes.
This thread was about the feelings of moral superiority comming from the red belt of Bush's support. Aren't you a little off topic. :D

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

That's great there Grizzly Adams, but what does Tom Petty have to do with anything?

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

This thread was about the feelings of moral superiority comming from the red belt of Bush's support. Aren't you a little off topic. :D
Or the perception of cultural superiority, coupled with social profiling and stereotypical bigotry radiating from the desperate Gesellschaft mentality.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Interesting notion (first post) Moonbeam.
The psychology of the human can be observed and to some extent explained by the physiological aspects of the subject (s). Leaving aside the chemical imbalance of some folks and just looking at otherwise reasonably normal physiologically stable folks we can see or account for behavior patterns that point inward with consistency toward the cause or source. The source and or cause is found in what I like to call the "Mind's Rationalization Machine" (MRM). This is true for all behavior, IMO.

Now then, Patriotism. The first essential part of being a patriot is a sense of belonging to something greater than ourselves AND being part of this has been accepted as being good. For instance; a member of an outlaw motorcycle gang has the same sense of belonging as a member of the Elks or Rotary clubs. They belong because they feel good doing so. Citizens of the US feel good being part of the US and supporting this club too. If a cause surfaces in any of these examples the members will seek to participate in the cause even at self sacrifice. In some cases this belonging is under duress or in the case of the US 'the draft' and not good and so neither is the sense of this belonging satisfying the inner need.
This inner need is, I believe, the subconscious working to rid itself of feelings of bad. These feelings exist because we were always told while we were young that what we did was bad or no. Hardly ever did Daddy say good or OK. Mom may have but, Mom is not the leader, Dad is. And Dad was never wrong even when he was. So... Being a patriot or member is the ability to be part of something good. To be proud even when one should perhaps question what one may be proud of. The conscious (C) mind can't rationalize with the sub C.. they hardly talk but, the sub C exerts great influence on the C through many interesting means. The long and short of it IMO, is that if there existed an individual who was pure good and had no negativity in his sub C he would be incapable of harming another individual. He would have not the motive nor the need to satisfy and therefore no patriotism need.

I should edit to add: anything that the Sub C finds bad or in conflict with its notion of good causes the Sub C to rid itself of this bad... Sociopathic thinking has no such conflict.

And all this is just simply in my opinion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: burnedout

Or the perception of cultural superiority, coupled with social profiling and stereotypical bigotry radiating from the desperate Gesellschaft mentality.
Huh?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Interesting notion of WW II tactics in an Axis region. Perhaps a reason to give dictatorial powers in 1933.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay

Interesting notion of WW II tactics in an Axis region. Perhaps a reason to give dictatorial powers in 1933.
Actually, more along the lines of Gemeinschaft (community) and Gesellschaft (association) from classical sociological thought. Unfortunately, my points relating to social profiling and stereotypical bigotry are further illustrated by your statement.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

That's great there Grizzly Adams, but what does Tom Petty have to do with anything?

Petty has everything to do with it. Thats what the wife was listening to as I was perusing the thread.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Actually, more along the lines of Gemeinschaft (community) and Gesellschaft (association) from classical sociological thought. Unfortunately, my points relating to social profiling and stereotypical bigotry are further illustrated by your statement.

That is exactly why I used the example. Any use of social profiling and stereotypical bigotry in any manner is dangerous and often results in the underlying objectives of the one using such.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

That is exactly why I used the example. Any use of social profiling and stereotypical bigotry in any manner is dangerous and often results in the underlying objectives of the one using such.
OK, sorry Ray. I misunderstood you and admit it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Huh?