Are you a grocery store/supermarket snob?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Central Market, mostly. It's like Whole Foods, but much better prices, less 'tude.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I enjoy shopping at Raleys because the store is generally cleaner than the Savemarts/Safe Ways/whatever else, and because the shoppers are generally nicer, too. Also, they tend to hire very cute courtesy clerks. And, if you shop around sales, it's not THAT much more expensive.

That said, depending on what I need, I'll go to Winco or Walmart Neighborhood Market too.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
HEB Plus/Central Market > Whole Foods > Natural Grocers >(huge gap)> Trader Joes > Sprouts > Costco > every other dirty peasant grocery store

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I mostly shop at Krogers and Target. I don't hate Walmart itself, I just don't like the really long lines! I usually go in there looking to pick up a few items, and I get stuck behind people with multiple carts, and the express lanes aren't much better (tons of people in them). :eek:

I am new to shopping at WEGMANS

Not a bad place. But have to watch out for the prices.

Wegmans is pretty much the best thing ever. I miss it. :'(

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I am new to shopping at WEGMANS

Not a bad place. But have to watch out for the prices.

in NY where I am the Wegmans prices are not really that much different vs the Tops prices (tops is the other large chain out here) - its NY everything is expensive

wegmans does have noticeably better produce and meat

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like Aldi and Costco, for cheap prices, or bulk beef, but usually we wind up going to neighborhood Jewel Osco because of laziness. 2 minute drive vs 20 minute drive.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
The local "ethnic" market had Rainier Cherries at $1.79/lb which sounds great until you go sort through the bags and see it's grade C quality.....

The real answer is....it depends! The only place I typically avoid is Whole Foods; overpriced + smug factor.

Last edited:

rednas

May 26, 2010
I am not. Hard to me to justify spending 2-3x more for an item just because of the name of the store in the front regardless of whether I am able to afford it or not.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I'm not, I typically will not get produce at Walmart though and I generally will not buy anything else besides food at Kroger. I also have a fresh market next to my house that has a good flower selection, they have a hit or miss produce section.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm not, I typically will not get produce at Walmart though and I generally will not buy anything else besides food at Kroger.
:thumbsup:

I get a lot at WalMart, but there's a limited selection of stores in my area. I generally find it hard to find good deals at dollar stores, particularly because they'll have different sizes of goods.

I wouldn't mind a site like PcPartPicker for groceries, but I wouldn't pay for a subscription!

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I use Meijer whenever possible. They are a local, family run company. The company does a ton of things for the community and I like that. I realize that I spend about 10% more there than I would with discount places, but I'm ok with that. If that is what it costs to keep my money local, I'm happy to pay.

Weird thing though: Walmart started to build stores near Meijer stores. I was really worried that Meijer would start closing stores. But instead the lower end people go to Walmart and the Meijer stores have gotten much nicer and have gotten better products in.

Long live Walmart!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd be willing to bet that MOST of ATOT are grocery store snobs. The majority have never set foot in an ethnic grocery store or bodega.
Yeah it seems like ATOT is a snob about just about everything imaginable.

I get my groceries from Meijer (usually) or Walmart.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Kroger

Wal-Mart has crap selection and their fresh food quality sucks.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'd prefer to do my shopping at Wegmans, Costco, or Trader Joe's, but they'll all too inconvenient for one reason or another to go to regularly (Wegmans is a hike, Costco is always ridiculously crowded, and my local Trader Joe's has a stupid small parking lot)

by process of elimination, I do my grocery shopping at my local regional chain store (Shoprite). not the greatest, but it's good enough for my every-day needs... lately I've been taking advantage of the thing where you shop online, drive up to the store parking lot, and they load all your groceries into your car for you so you can avoid having to deal with the crowds/lines inside.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I use Meijer whenever possible. They are a local, family run company. The company does a ton of things for the community and I like that. I realize that I spend about 10% more there than I would with discount places, but I'm ok with that. If that is what it costs to keep my money local, I'm happy to pay.

Weird thing though: Walmart started to build stores near Meijer stores. I was really worried that Meijer would start closing stores. But instead the lower end people go to Walmart and the Meijer stores have gotten much nicer and have gotten better products in.

Long live Walmart!

Meijer has over 200 stores (not counter gas stations and such). They are hardly a local, family run company. They are also the 27th largest retailer in the US.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Meijer has over 200 stores (not counter gas stations and such). They are hardly a local, family run company. They are also the 27th largest retailer in the US.

They were founded in my city. Their corporate HQ is in my city. They are local.

It is still ran by the Meijer family. It is family ran.

You are the stupidest person I have ever met.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Winco & Walmart for everything besides fruit & veggies & meat. I get meat from a real butcher because even the expensive chain stores have shitty meat. fruits from Sprouts. I will ghetto my ass off to a Walmart, saving a few hundred dollars a month on the exact same shit's a no brainer. I don't make enough $$$ to be a snob about where I shop.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Winco & Walmart for everything besides fruit & veggies & meat. I get meat from a real butcher because even the expensive chain stores have shitty meat. fruits from Sprouts. I will ghetto my ass off to a Walmart, saving hundreds of dollars a month is saving hundreds of dollars a month. I don't make enough $$$ to be a snob about shopping.

How are you saving hundreds of dollars a month?

At most you will save 20%. So if you saved $200, you are spending $1,000 a month there.

What the fuck are you buying?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
They were founded in my city. Their corporate HQ is in my city. They are local.

It is still ran by the Meijer family. It is family ran.

You are the stupidest person I have ever met.

Not local. And it is about as family run as Wal-Mart.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Meijer for most things but a local chain called Marsh for meat (cheaper and better than Meijer). I don't have anything against Kroger except that their local store really sucks and annoys me, so I avoid it. Walmart is just too much of a hassle. I'd honestly probably go to Kroger over Meijer if their store didn't piss me off so much.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I go to whatever is closer or more convenient at the time. Normally I go to Foodland because it's closer, but the Metro has some stuff that Foodland does not have so sometimes I go to Metro.

Every now and then I might even go to Walmart if I happen to be there for something else. People put down Walmart, but I have to admit their produce is on par with all the real grocery stores. Probably full of preservatives and other junk... but so is the food at all the other grocery stores unless you specifically look for organic, which might be hidden on a tiny shelf somewhere.