Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And yet I keep seeing articles popping up on Google about "Nvidia slashing prices!!!" Bunch of bogus bull crap.
That's because they lowered the sticker-shock pricing of the RTX 3090 from $1499 to $999 or something like that.
No cuts at the lower-end, that I can see; most still OVER launch MSRP.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
That's because they lowered the sticker-shock pricing of the RTX 3090 from $1499 to $999 or something like that.
No cuts at the lower-end, that I can see; most still OVER launch MSRP.
They are mentioning the 3060ti and 3070 though too and those don't seem to be dropping.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
They are mentioning the 3060ti and 3070 though too and those don't seem to be dropping.
Of course no one wants to drop prices, but they will soon, if they want to sell much volume. Against accepted thinking, I predict, even TSMC will have to adjust. It should take by the end of year for us to see it clearly. The numbers don't lie and they can't be wished away. Truths are not a democratic value to be voted on.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

Here's a (slightly insane?) take on the whole merge thing... rent/buy your own datacenter, and fill it with mining clients, charge per rig hosted. Maybe that the future of mining? Hosting rigs.
LOL this is frigging hilarious.
- Bunch of guns in the background CHECK
- Got into crypto in 2021 boom (total noobie) CHECK
- Got kicked out of datacenter because he screwed up (even though he claims otherwise) CHECK
- Expanding his operation after the merge when nothing is profitable CHECK

At least he's not expanding his own rigs, but hosting other people's rigs instead. At least he's got that going for him.

But damn if this video doesn't highlight that high GPU prices are direct result of crypto mining and that tons of people are still delusional. All of them, including nvidia are in for a rude awakening in 6 months...

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Of course no one wants to drop prices, but they will soon, if they want to sell much volume. Against accepted thinking, I predict, even TSMC will have to adjust. It should take by the end of year for us to see it clearly. The numbers don't lie and they can't be wished away. Truths are not a democratic value to be voted on.

Rumors are saying that TSMC is raising prices.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Im pretty sure they arent going to pass up on all the cash unloaded for Christmas. This year may be the last year for that until inflation cools again after the next POTUS takes office.
Inflation will cause prices to go up on new production but not on old stock that needs to go soon.IMHO

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
For how long, 3 months? We'll see how long before they capitulate.

Just AMD eating Intel's lunch in servers should keep TSMC busy. Intel might be the one with lots of unused capacity. And in the context of this thread, they don't fab dGPUs so they are irrelevant.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
WTF is wrong with the market these days.
GPU prices were crashing, but now they rose again on the third day like Jesus Christ did.

Thank God i got what i needed during the fire sale @ eVGA.

But im wondering who is buying these gpu's now that mining is dead.
And where is the influx of cheap used GPU's.
Seems like the miners do not want to let go of there GPU's and are still hording onto them for the next coin to magically ressurect GPU mining.

The worst GPU's to get right now is the 3060ti..... i can't believe how big of a difference that TI makes for the 3060, and the regular 3070.
The 3080 12GB version is also extremely difficult to source now.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Samsung also increasing chip prices. TSMC knows their major clients wont have much of an alternative when increasing prices.
Two camps & I'm in the opposing one.

The question is, what will TSMC do if their fab utilization rate falls significantly? Honestly, for the average income and lower EU and UK citizen, the next 6 months and almost certainly after, will feel and hurt like a 30's style depression. Removing this large market from sales must have unforeseen repercussions. In my eyes, I see most looking as that meme of the band continuing playing long after the ship hit the iceberg. What is coming is now unstoppable, and spending more will not help, as this is a commodity supply crisis and not a lack of monetary resource one. The solution will take years. I suppose the analogy for us would be designing a completely new CPU architecture from scratch. The timeframe for some things can't be shortened significantly, no matter how much you spend.

When faced with daily survival, and I do know how apocalyptic this sounds, do you really need as much of the new and latest stuff as you are accustomed to? Can my phone, computer, or any other digital device last a couple yrs longer? If they start thinking like this, semi sales will drop significantly, at least 25% and likely much more. We often claim that for the client sector at least, which so happens to absorb most of silicon production, can get by on less than cutting edge hardware, and its true.

Wants and needs will very much come into focus. It will probably take several months to fall out into a new dynamic. We had a member here from the EU just post that his friend is selling his electric car because it costs too must to charge and this already in a country with higher than world average gas prices. Wants and needs.

Reactions: Insert_Nickname

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
We had a member here from the EU just post that his friend is selling his electric car because it costs too must to charge and this already in a country with higher than world average gas prices.

So it costs more to charge the car then fill a car with petrol in the EU?
I was reading somewhere, even with the price hikes, the cost average would be even out at worst.
But the cost of ownership on a electric is cheaper then a petrol, as you have less parts to fail, and less service requirements.

But i also see it this way....
A lot of Scalpers no longer have EDD checks to help purchase GPU's.
A lot of miners no loner have the ROI on any GPU.
Gamers are all still pissed off, and just flat out refuse to buy any GPU's priced more then what the 1000 series were priced at.

Even with limited stocks, if no one buys them, they will be surplus, and then they have to reduce price as unmoved inventory takes up space, which then turns into a cost to keep them on shelves.

Also i don't think TSMC cares if GPU vendors cancel on them.
The Automotive industry is begging them to make chips again.
TSMC can just shift over to Automotive if the Tech sector starts canceling.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
So it costs more to charge the car then fill a car with petrol in the EU?
I was reading somewhere, even with the price hikes, the cost average would be even out at worst.
But the cost of ownership on a electric is cheaper then a petrol, as you have less parts to fail, and less service requirements.

But i also see it this way....
A lot of Scalpers no longer have EDD checks to help purchase GPU's.
A lot of miners no loner have the ROI on any GPU.
Gamers are all still pissed off, and just flat out refuse to buy any GPU's priced more then what the 1000 series were priced at.

Even with limited stocks, if no one buys them, they will be surplus, and then they have to reduce price as unmoved inventory takes up space, which then turns into a cost to keep them on shelves.

Also i don't think TSMC cares if GPU vendors cancel on them.
The Automotive industry is begging them to make chips again.
TSMC can just shift over to Automotive if the Tech sector starts canceling.
Which EU nation, I don't know. They are quite different.

The US is a very different story as they are energy independent.

Agree on the scalpers & gamers mentality. Who will blink first?

With regards to cars, remember how they were caught by surprise by the pandemic supply disruptions? I predict, they'll be similarly caught by surprise by the fall in sales. This thing, this time, really is different to anyone alive. Most of the EU car plants will be shuttering soon, for who knows how long. Some large steel and chemical ones already have, with no planned reopening announced.

Also, these plants are at the bottom of the supply chain for upstream industries, which also have to follow if their material suppliers have stopped production.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
GPU prices were crashing, but now they rose again on the third day like Jesus Christ did.

Thank God i got what i needed during the fire sale @ eVGA.

But im wondering who is buying these gpu's now that mining is dead.
And where is the influx of cheap used GPU's.
Seems like the miners do not want to let go of there GPU's and are still hording onto them for the next coin to magically ressurect GPU mining.

The worst GPU's to get right now is the 3060ti..... i can't believe how big of a difference that TI makes for the 3060, and the regular 3070.
The 3080 12GB version is also extremely difficult to source now.

What exactly are you looking for? I'm seeing massive firesales on AMD GPUs, not so much on Nvidia GPUs, so that would make a bit of sense if you were looking at Nvidia only. The low to mid end is sunk right now. I can get RX6600 vanillas for $160-180 on Facebook, XTs for $200, and RX6700 XTs for $300 from eBay and Facebook marketplace local listings.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

It does look like a lot of the larger miners are just holding on to hardware, combined with NV signaling that they're just using the older 3000-series cards as their low-to-midrange with 4000-series sitting on top of the price stack.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
What exactly are you looking for?

im not looking for anything, but i had friends who did not listen to me and didn't get what they should of gotten when there was a fire sale.
They are hoping to snag a 3080 12GB.

I do see the 6900XT's have floored on pricing, as well as a lot of other AMD cards, but where are all the Nvidia cards?
For one friend of mine especially i wanted her to get a something with NVEnc as she just started her digital library collection, and it would save her a ton of time on handbrake using NVEnc.