Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 92 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Wants and needs will very much come into focus. It will probably take several months to fall out into a new dynamic. We had a member here from the EU just post that his friend is selling his electric car because it costs too must to charge and this already in a country with higher than world average gas prices. Wants and needs.
So it costs more to charge the car then fill a car with petrol in the EU?
I was reading somewhere, even with the price hikes, the cost average would be even out at worst.
But the cost of ownership on a electric is cheaper then a petrol, as you have less parts to fail, and less service requirements.
Which EU nation, I don't know. They are quite different.

Lets see. I'm danish, so that's where we are. No, it's not someone I know personally. Here is the original articles, in Danish so some google translate required;

https://www.tv2fyn.dk/middelfart/el...-kroner-ved-at-skifte-min-elbil-ud-med-benzin
https://www.tv2east.dk/fokus-paa-krisen/ingen-el-i-henriks-hybridbil-benzin-er-billigere

It's completely grotesque. As is everything else currently. I fully expect we'll see at least a couple of deaths by freezing this winter. You (and here I'm using a generalised you) almost cannot imagine how insane things are here at the moment.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Food prices have also increased beyond affordability? I suppose eating a lot of calorie dense foods can avoid a freezing death?

Everything is relative of course. Some foods have skyrocketed (f.x. dairy products of every kind). The ones which are in some way energy intensive to produce in particular (f.x. bread, meat). Some have just gone up. Others have been pretty stagnant (f.x. rice).

Discount stores are having really good times, as there has been a massive shift towards the lowest priced alternatives. We've already had the first round of store closures, due to not being able to pay the energy bill. Now, electricity prices just doubled Saturday (1 October from 2.37 to 4.84DKK) for those on fixed price 3 month contracts. So I'm expecting another round in January.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

LiluDallas

Oct 3, 2022
Even used GPU prices not so low now. Everyone wait for altcoins prices dump. Almost all GPU can mine ETC, Zil, RVN and other PoW coins.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Everything is relative of course. Some foods have skyrocketed (f.x. dairy products of every kind). The ones which are in some way energy intensive to produce in particular (f.x. bread, meat). Some have just gone up. Others have been pretty stagnant (f.x. rice).

Discount stores are having really good times, as there has been a massive shift towards the lowest priced alternatives. We've already had the first round of store closures, due to not being able to pay the energy bill. Now, electricity prices just doubled Saturday (1 October from 2.37 to 4.84DKK) for those on fixed price 3 month contracts. So I'm expecting another round in January.
Good luck, it is going to be a rough time.
It just hit me, Denmark, as a significant energy producer, will be relatively one of the better-off ones. WOW, is all I can say for the rest.

For the sake of this thread, there is no way this doesn't affect total CPU & GPU demand in a significant way. The EU & UK, the largest wealthy block in the world will be spending a lot less on the latest & greatest.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Good luck, it is going to be a rough time.
It just hit me, Denmark, as a significant energy producer, will be relatively one of the better-off ones. WOW, is all I can say for the rest.

Thanks. As you write we're the fortunate ones here. I only have to look south of the border, it's horrendous in Germany. Good luck getting anything that'll burn down there. Or anything you can plug into a wall socket that'll get warm.

For the sake of this thread, there is no way this doesn't affect total CPU & GPU demand in a significant way. The EU & UK, the largest wealthy block in the world will be spending a lot less on the latest & greatest.

Indeed. There is no way this doesn't affect demand.

I only hope we can keep the almost inevitable rioting at a minimum level.

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Even used GPU prices not so low now. Everyone wait for altcoins prices dump. Almost all GPU can mine ETC, Zil, RVN and other PoW coins.

Not sure what you are talking about. None of these coins can be profitably mined since the merge.

But it seems like all the youtubers that are miners with substantial amount of GPUs (well over 100) are just turning them off and waiting for profitability to return rather than selling them. We just need much more time to convince them that the good old days of GPU mining aren't coming back, then the sane will start selling their.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But it seems like all the youtubers that are miners with substantial amount of GPUs (well over 100) are just turning them off and waiting for profitability to return rather than selling them. We just need much more time to convince them that the good old days of GPU mining aren't coming back, then the sane will start selling their.
RedPandaMining can pivot and open a GPU museum.

• Haha
Reactions: Ranulf

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Not sure what you are talking about. None of these coins can be profitably mined since the merge.

Just had a thought. What if the more idiotic miners start buying up all the smarter miners cards at what they will consider cheap prices, even though they're too expensive for us? A double, double-down tactic.

I can hear them now, "we'll show them, we'll monopolize this business and keep all the money". :eek:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just had a thought. What if the more idiotic miners start buying up all the smarter miners cards at what they will consider cheap prices, even though they're too expensive for us? A double, double-down tactic.

I can hear them now, "we'll show them, we'll monopolize this business and keep all the money". :eek:
Eh, they already are. And the former miners are offering sweet deals to the current miners, that they're not offering to gamers.

Jul 27, 2020
then the sane will start selling their.
Beg to disagree. None of them are sane. A sane person wouldn't create a GPU mining farm. I once went to a guy's flat to buy a 4th gen Core desktop he had advertised for selling. He took me to a room with huge thermal exhaust pipes coming out of a server rack. It was noisy as hell in there. He had at least half a dozen Dell desktops lying around.

I asked him to turn one of them on so I could verify that it was 4th gen. Nope. 2nd gen. Then 2nd one. Again 2nd gen. 3rd one. You get the idea. Finally, he told me that he didn't have what I was looking for. Looking for??? He had advertised it! When I was leaving, he told me that I had wasted his time. I was speechless. He basically slammed the door behind me.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Thanks. As you write we're the fortunate ones here. I only have to look south of the border, it's horrendous in Germany. Good luck getting anything that'll burn down there. Or anything you can plug into a wall socket that'll get warm.

Indeed. There is no way this doesn't affect demand.

I only hope we can keep the almost inevitable rioting at a minimum level.
Germany was warned by Trump not to rely on Russia. Now that Biden has his war on fossil fuels we dont have it to offer Germany like we did when Trump was in office an we were energy independent. Now Germany suffers the double whammy.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

PC hardware (which is what those cards ultimately are) doesn't age well, in terms of actual market value or functionality. Many of those cards may already be slightly damaged from wear, and it's not like every miner card out there is a 3090 Ti. There are plenty of lower-end cards in those mining fleets. If they hold on to their hardware they'll be in possession of vast amounts of e-waste in a few years. It'll sure help NV and AMD though!

Reactions: VirtualLarry

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Germany was warned by Trump not to rely on Russia. Now that Biden has his war on fossil fuels we dont have it to offer Germany like we did when Trump was in office an we were energy independent. Now Germany suffers the double whammy.
This is a gross simplification.

Do you have any idea of what it takes to develop an LNG alternative? You have to build massive industrial plants. Liquefying ones, regasification ones and specialized transport ships that can't be slapped together. For a market the size of the EU, this is a decade ++ endeavor.

I'm writing from a tiny country (T&T) that is a fair sized LNG & petrochemical exporter and I studied as an engineer. Narrative is cheap but numbers do matter.

By the way gas ships, contain as much energy as a multi-kiloton nuke. Think of a thermobaric bomb on a nuclear scale.

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
This is a gross simplification.

Do you have any idea of what it takes to develop an LNG alternative? You have to build massive industrial plants. Liquefying ones, regasification ones and specialized transport ships that can't be slapped together. For a market the size of the EU, this is a decade ++ endeavor.

I'm writing from a tiny country (T&T) that is a fair sized LNG & petrochemical exporter and I studied as an engineer. Narrative is cheap but numbers do matter.

By the way gas ships, contain as much energy as a multi-kiloton nuke. Think of a thermobaric bomb on a nuclear scale.
Germany is already using LNG from Russia.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Not P&N just facts. If you have to tip toe around names to stay woke, Im sorry for you.
That's not it, I'm merely pointing out the physical limits. DEFINITELY no P&G here. As I said, I live on an island nation.

Germany is already using LNG from Russia.
% wise, small quantities. You were speaking about a complete replacement. Numbers matter.

Yeah, I'll stop here. Unfortunately, one can't carry out a reasoned discussion/argument on P&G. Alas.

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
That's not it, I'm merely pointing out the physical limits. DEFINITELY no P&G here. As I said, I live on an island nation.

% wise, small quantities. You were speaking about a complete replacement. Numbers matter.

Yeah, I'll stop here. Unfortunately, one can't carry out a reasoned discussion/argument on P&G. Alas.
You mentioned Germany was going to suffer greatly, is the only reason I mentioned what I said. I was stationed there for 5 years and am familiar with some aspects of it.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I am going to say something that contradicts everything I said two months ago:

Mining cards are problem children. To many people ending up with bizarre issues they are not prepared to troubleshoot. I think used cards are quickly going to get a rep and people are going to avoid them.

Price will still drop because miners are no longer purchasing new cards, but the "flood" may be ignored by most purchasers.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- Trump was definitely right on the money there. I'm pretty sure literally anyone with three brain cells to rub together has been telling the EU to diversify from its reliance on russian energy imports for literally decades.

Obama, Bush 2, etc. Hell Regan was telling the Europeans not to be so dependent on Russian (Soviet) energy.

Anyhow, time to pay the piper I guess.

Does the suffering of millions mean I get cheaper cards tho?