Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
That annoying idiot probably smiles even when sitting on the toilet pushing his dehydrated lump out with all the strength he can muster.

-Not sure if you're familiar with Indian food but it is very rich in fiber. I highly doubt Raja has dropped a single dedicated lump his entire life.

Might be why he is grinning like an idiot regardless of the state of the AMD GPU program, Intel GPU program, threat of nuclear war, inflationary spiral, or heat death of the universe.

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah. Might explain why crap flows out of his mouth so effortlessly. Maybe his end game is to make sure the GPU program does fail so Intel spins it off as a separate entity and he finally gets his wish to be the Indian Jensen.

• Haha
Reactions: GodisanAtheist
Feb 4, 2009
I'm hoping to get a video card at least as powerful as the rtx 3080 at half the current cost, or more powerful with same price/performance ratio.

Sort of where I am at.
I want a monitor upgrade but have been holding off since cards have been so damn expensive.
I am hoping to get something in the $300 to max $500 range that can power ideally a 4k monitor and realistically a 2k monitor (2144 or whatever)

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Sort of where I am at.
I want a monitor upgrade but have been holding off since cards have been so damn expensive.
I am hoping to get something in the $300 to max $500 range that can power ideally a 4k monitor and realistically a 2k monitor (2144 or whatever)
Got the monitor just before the release of 3080 in hope of getting one at the original msrp… and the rest is history

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Sort of where I am at.

A 2K display is typically what a 1440P is (2560x1440).

As for a GPU in that price range that will drive a 4K display, it depends what games you are playing. My current 5700XT does an ok job with my 1440P displays, but it would not handle any recent games at 4K.

So something like a RX 6750 would be happy at 1440P. But for 4K, you really want a much more powerful, and thereby more expensive card. Unless you only play old games of course.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

As for a GPU in that price range that will drive a 4K display, it depends what games you are playing. My current 5700XT does an ok job with my 1440P displays, but it would not handle any recent games at 4K.

So something like a RX 6750 would be happy at 1440P. But for 4K, you really want a much more powerful, and thereby more expensive card. Unless you only play old games of course.
Or they need to support upscaling :)

Feb 4, 2009

1440P that’s exactly what I meant, thanks.
I like the idea of 4k but the monitor sizes seem HUGE. I sit less than an arms length away.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm hoping to get a video card at least as powerful as the rtx 3080 at half the current cost, or more powerful with same price/performance ratio.

dr-evil-right.gif

The same company with monikers like Wintel and Chipzilla is going to save us from our GPU overlords?

waynes-world-and-monkeys-might-fly-out-my-butt.gif

Mike Myers is the man BTW. So immanently quotable.

I am not expecting any buzzword worthy move from Intel in the space, like paradigm shifting.

Reactions: Frenetic Pony

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The Intel bashing has exceeded even my own comfort levels, and that's really saying something.
When did facts become bashing? They earned those less than flattering monikers. They abandon markets abruptly. Hence, from where I'm sitting, they used up their benefit of a doubt long ago.

We ARE talking about the same company, that in the midst of the worst GPU market ever, did this right? https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...crete-graphics-cards-to-oems-and-integrators/
That happened. All while the 1030 was averaging a $140-$150, no less.

Yeah, I won't be climbing on the Intel bandwagon just yet.

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012

I'm optimistic about GPU prices by the end of the year, but I'm not sure I'm that optimistic, no way you're getting that for less than $400. Now, $450+, that'd certainly be plausible.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
When did facts become bashing? They earned those less than flattering monikers. They abandon markets abruptly. Hence, from where I'm sitting, they used up their benefit of a doubt long ago.

We ARE talking about the same company, that in the midst of the worst GPU market ever, did this right? https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...crete-graphics-cards-to-oems-and-integrators/
That happened. All while the 1030 was averaging a $140-$150, no less.

Yeah, I won't be climbing on the Intel bandwagon just yet.

The attacks against Raja were getting to be a bit too much for my liking. Way too personal and comments made had nothing to do with him sucking at GPUs. I happen to think the man sucks at GPUs and should pay every gamer $20.00 for tricking us twice, once with Vega, now with Arc. But to talk about the man's well known bowel issues and how they are a convenient metaphor for him trying to push out a decent product and failing to do so is just going a bit too far for me. I'd never talk like that so you guys shouldn't either.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's kind of hard to meaningfully bash Intel's dGPUs right now since they still don't exist on the commercial market. Raja is always an easy target. It's hard for me to hate the guy, though.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I hope that the Intel cards can provide some competition and additional options, even if it is just at the mid to lower end. I guess we will just have to wait for actual reviews/cards available.

And as for Vega, I don't see how it was that bad, though perhaps a bit underwhelming because of unrealistic hype/expectations? I seem to recall, the Vega 56 was about on par with the GTX 1070, and the Vega 64 with the GTX 1080. Though obviously various models would have different performance based on cooling, board/memory components, and firmware settings.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It's kind of hard to meaningfully bash Intel's dGPUs right now since they still don't exist on the commercial market. Raja is always an easy target. It's hard for me to hate the guy, though.
Isn't that reason enough to bash them? How long do they expect the crowd will be excited about vaporware, XeSS and PowerPoint slides?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
1440P that’s exactly what I meant, thanks.
I like the idea of 4k but the monitor sizes seem HUGE. I sit less than an arms length away.

I went with dual 27" 1440P displays. I don't feel 4K gives me anything for my work loads or the gaming that I do. It would actually be downside on the gaming side, as I would not be able to drive games at 4K, so I would have to run a lower resolution and upscale. So unless you really have a need for 4K, you should really just consider 1440P displays.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I went with dual 27" 1440P displays. I don't feel 4K gives me anything for my work loads or the gaming that I do. It would actually be downside on the gaming side, as I would not be able to drive games at 4K, so I would have to run a lower resolution and upscale. So unless you really have a need for 4K, you should really just consider 1440P displays.

There is a huge premium for 4K - in terms of hardware needed, paying for a quality (low input lag) monitor, etc. The value is in the 2K space right now.

That said, for work I use a 27" 4K monitor as my main, 2x 2K 25" in portrait mode on either side. It just does what I need it to. Diminishing returns on that third monitor, but I am a putty window/browser window hoarder.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
as I would not be able to drive games at 4K, so I would have to run a lower resolution and upscale.

Upscaling works best at 4k though, so I wouldn't let that put me off. A good solution for a two monitor setup might be to have both a 4k and 1440p monitor. Then you have options.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
There is a huge premium for 4K - in terms of hardware needed, paying for a quality (low input lag) monitor, etc. The value is in the 2K space right now.

That said, for work I use a 27" 4K monitor as my main, 2x 2K 25" in portrait mode on either side. It just does what I need it to. Diminishing returns on that third monitor, but I am a putty window/browser window hoarder.

I used to run three displays, but downsized to two. I work in software development and the two 1440P displays have worked out well for me. There are times I miss the 3rd portrait mode display. But I like having the extra desk space. And the 1440 resolution makes text and window sizes exactly how I want them. With 4K I found things were too large or too small using the windows 10 DPI controls.

Upscaling works best at 4k though, so I wouldn't let that put me off. A good solution for a two monitor setup might be to have both a 4k and 1440p monitor. Then you have options.

True, but you are still spending a lot more on a display. My main display is 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro display with HDR. This same display in 4K was significantly more. And all I would gain is slightly better pixel density while also having to deal with the previously mentioned downsides.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

I must admit I much prefer the 1440p resolution. It gives you more vertical screen estate then 1080p/2160p at the same size display. Those just seem "cramped" and "squished" to me for some reason.

Why don't anyone make a decent 5K/2880p monitor that you can actually pay? Would be ideal for me.