Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
You sure you won't get a nice FPS boost in Alyx with a cheap i5-12400 upgrade?
You know if I used a computer for anything, yeah maybe but my desktop gets nearly zero use. Just Legacy stuff like playing an occasional optical disk or running super old dos programs.

The laptop with the 1660ti sees some gaming and VR support duty and everything else happens on phones which are remarkably competent and convenient. DeX allows the use of a keyboard, mouse and monitor or TV with the phone.

A shiny new desktop with a 3070 would take over the VR support role, headless most likely. The computers are all horribly inconvenient compared to the phone. The 3070 system would sit doing nothing after finishing Alyx.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm guessing that the sub $120 video card has been replaced by the onboard gpu/video on various processors, correct? Still, it doesn't seem like the cpu/gpu has the same effectiveness (video-wise) as some of the around 60 watt video cards out there.
My housekeeper un-earthed a GT610 from PNY, still shrink-wrapped. If you need it, make offer. :p

/s

Last edited:

OscaAndShintjee

Feb 22, 2022
I'm guessing that the sub $120 video card has been replaced by the onboard gpu/video on various processors, correct? Still, it doesn't seem like the cpu/gpu has the same effectiveness (video-wise) as some of the around 60 watt video cards out there.

NVIDIA is bound to start producing a new generation of their GT e-waste cards when the GT 1010 and GT 1030 are phased out along with Pascal, just so they can reap more cash from OEMs.
Doesn't seem like there's much initiative to bring this ~100$ graphics card market up, though. APUs will likely win over this segment until some company invests into low-cost graphics card R&D again, instead of producing more "1080p ultra" cards for 250$, leaving anyone on a budget to buy second-hand. Remember the RX 560?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Eh, Intel already has built in APU in every CPU they sell. There are rumors that every Zen4 will have one as well. If true, then yes, $100 graphics card market is dead.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
There are rumors that every Zen4 will have one as well. If true, then yes, $100 graphics card market is dead.

If that rumour is true, it'll be extremely low performance. More video output checkbox then actually capable of running anything. Think below Vega3-level, maybe 2CUs (i.e. a single workgroup) worth of RDNA2.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If that rumour is true, it'll be extremely low performance. More video output checkbox then actually capable of running anything. Think below Vega3-level, maybe 2CUs (i.e. a single workgroup) worth of RDNA2.

- Why low performance? If AMD was ok with shipping out garbage integrated graphics, they would have done it with their existing laptop APU line where the die size hit hurts a lot more thanks to the monolithic design and leading edge process than it would on an IO die on a trailing process.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
In the UK prices are also dropping, with 6500XT's for just under £200 (down £30 recently), 3050's for £300 (down £80 recently), 6600's for £400 (Down £50), 3060's for £450 (Down £100) & 600XT's for £450 (Down £50) too. Still a way to go for MSRP but there's hope.... for now!

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I have been watching the price of used rx 580's on ebay as they were one of the more heavily inflated cards. Price has gone from over 500 to 300-400 AUD range for used 8gb models within the last month or so. Definite big adjustments happening to the used market.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

Im petty sure it will be faster than Intel IGPs.
The last rumor i heard was 4CUs (2x2) but at low clock, but that also means there may be 1x2. 4CUs @ 1.2Ghz should be around 3200G perf.

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
Is there a new zen APU coming out this year which doesn't suck?

Gaming has always been a privilege for the rich. You are just so warped in you view of the world that you think spending $500 for a toy is something poor people can do.

They can and it's not a toy unless they are dirt poor but then I don't think that's the definition he was using.
Personal Computers cost ridiculous prices in the past and devalued quickly especially if we look at 20-25 years ago.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
You mean like the i3 12100F?
Yes, there will always be oddball variants like KF. However, if every Zen4 CPU includes 1030 or better equivalent APU there is no longer any reason to buy 1030's aka I just need a video output sub $100 card. Heck, depending on how good it is, you may even game at 1080p low/mid settings.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Yes, there will always be oddball variants like KF. However, if every Zen4 CPU includes 1030 or better equivalent APU there is no longer any reason to buy 1030's aka I just need a video output sub $100 card. Heck, depending on how good it is, you may even game at 1080p low/mid settings.

I don't see much of a point paying for the video enabled version of the I3 12100F, when the video probably won't outperform the low profile 2GB RX 550 that I got as a system pull for 80 bucks 2 and a half years ago. I'll just keep reusing that in system builds until the built in video finally gets better than that. It's probably the best I can do for under 50 watts anyway.

RX 550 - 2,700 G3D Mark
Intel UHD 630 - 1,300 G3D Mark

Since that is only about half the performance, I'll say we just aren't there yet.
*edit* my mistake, it was 3 years ago, and I paid $66 each for 2 4GB RX 550 video card pulls, shipped

Last edited:

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
I was able to grab one of these today at Microcenter

I had to show my ID as you can only buy one card per month there. The workers there told me that they have had a great supply of cards there for the last two weeks, things are looking better and I believe price will continue to fall.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Something has definitely changed. Right now you can add to card on Newegg a 3080 Ti for $1600. It's still a stupid card and should have been $800 max on release day, but the fact you can buy it at all under $2000 is progress. This simply goes to show that the GPUs weren't even making it out of China. They were being made and sold in bulk to miners, never making it to the mass market. Mining declines, cards are in stock. Hmm, strange that!
With the threat of Ethereum 2.0 and the next gen release being in close proximity to each other, we might see a biblical flood of RTX 3000 cards well below msrp. Also, it has been said that no GPUs will be sold in certain parts of the world due to recent events, which further reduces demand. Sad, but it's a factor.
Also, the fact that someone just paid $950 for an 8GB 70-class card at the end of it's lifecycle makes me want to vomit all over the place. Seems Nvidia would do very well increasing the RTX 4070 to at least $1500. They'd sell out instantly. That's OK though. They will offer me RTX 4030 for $800.

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
Something has definitely changed. Right now you can add to card on Newegg a 3080 Ti for $1600. It's still a stupid card and should have been $800 max on release day, but the fact you can buy it at all under $2000 is progress. This simply goes to show that the GPUs weren't even making it out of China. They were being made and sold in bulk to miners, never making it to the mass market. Mining declines, cards are in stock. Hmm, strange that!
With the threat of Ethereum 2.0 and the next gen release being in close proximity to each other, we might see a biblical flood of RTX 3000 cards well below msrp. Also, it has been said that no GPUs will be sold in certain parts of the world due to recent events, which further reduces demand. Sad, but it's a factor.
Also, the fact that someone just paid $950 for an 8GB 70-class card at the end of it's lifecycle makes me want to vomit all over the place. Seems Nvidia would do very well increasing the RTX 4070 to at least $1500. They'd sell out instantly. That's OK though. They will offer me RTX 4030 for $800.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.....and don't worry....it was not your money :) ....but feel free to throw up all over the place!

• Haha
Reactions: moonbogg and Elfear

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I've also been noticing stock and pricing has been improving. Newegg has RX 6700XTs in stock for $799 and 6600XTs in stock for $499 now. Used to be +$200 and +$100 respectively just a few weeks ago. I'm cautiously optimistic this trend will continue.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018

I'd be 100% OK with that. As long as the integrated graphics can run a desktop and play a youtube video, that's enough for me and for lots of people. It would be great to not have to buy crap used GT 710's just to boot and upgrade the workstations.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I'd be 100% OK with that. As long as the integrated graphics can run a desktop and play a youtube video, that's enough for me and for lots of people. It would be great to not have to buy crap used GT 710's just to boot and upgrade the workstations.

I'm just a bit annoyed, because the built in video means that there hasn't been much improvent at all in the past few years in low end video cards like there used to be.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

Even the basic Vega3 runs circles around a 710. Vega3+RDNA2 enhancements should of course be faster. I'm totally fine with Good Enough™ performance. As long as no one expects to run triple A games on it, everything is fine.

My HTPC uses Vega3 and performs just fine for it's purpose.

I'm just a bit annoyed, because the built in video means that there hasn't been much improvent at all in the past few years in low end video cards like there used to be.

I think it's more a question of the whole budget graphics card segment has moved to APUs.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
With Russia being cut off from buying anything from Intel/nVidia/AMD, I wonder if that has greatly changed the demand of cards for mining. And with inflation hitting the rest of the world, demand has probably gone down some.

So maybe some of us that have been holding off for sane prices, might just be able to get something this year.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
With Russia being cut off from buying anything from Intel/nVidia/AMD, I wonder if that has greatly changed the demand of cards for mining. And with inflation hitting the rest of the world, demand has probably gone down some.

So maybe some of us that have been holding off for sane prices, might just be able to get something this year.

Don't you think they'll just get stuff from China?