Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm skeptical. What's to stop miners from living off of the tangible assets they have acquired from selling crypto and keep on hanging to their GPU stash? There might be a little price drop but not really a half MSRP one. They all know by now that GPUs have value so they won't devalue their assets by flooding the market with them. They will release them bit by bit, to keep gamers thirsting for more.

I think most miners will start panic selling. Think about it; it took them 9 months during the good times to break even on a GPU purchase, and the amount they can make by selling that GPU early would basically equal like 2 years of mining. Not selling early sounds totally insane to me. The massive miners might be different though. If they can afford to fill entire warehouses with GPUs, then who knows what their plans are. They can keep the GPUs forever and probably not care, but they'd still make a huge profit just by selling early. It would be a race to the market though because once the selloff starts, prices will plummet fast. I think right now is the best time to dump all your stuff and get the most for each sale.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Someone needs to make a simulator to predict GPU prices in tandem with current crypto prices as well as overall mining activity. Maybe there is something like that out there that the miners are using? Something on the Dark Web?
I hope you aren't serious. Trying to model the future price now is an exercise in futility. Sure, a minority will guess right on the important factors and get an accurate outcome from the simulation/model, but essentially it's picking lotto numbers. Do you have a system for that?

What happens if semi production takes a huge hit AKA GPU output contracts? Neon and other essential inputs become disrupted?
A newer crypto for GPUs is adopted widely?

So many unknown and unknowable factors interacting. The simulation will reflect your biases, not reality.

Jul 27, 2020
The massive miners might be different though. If they can afford to fill entire warehouses with GPUs, then who knows what their plans are. They can keep the GPUs forever and probably not care, but they'd still make a huge profit just by selling early.
I think I read somewhere that most of the crypto blockchain is controlled by the big players so that means massive miners with warehouses. Once the crypto value crashes and their GPUs become relatively worthless to them, they might think of other uses: GPU rendering farms, cloud gaming etc. Heck, they could sell entire warehouses to Korean gaming cafes! These are cold calculating businessmen. They aren't gonna panic sell. That's what I think. I wouldn't if I had a warehouse full of GPUs.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Heat insulation of your home to trap the heat inside and use less power for heating, a possibility for you?

Already done years ago, and I'm running a heatpump. So personally, I'm good, and can afford it. I'm actually glad I've always been slightly obsessed with energy efficiency right now.

It's everyone else I'm worried about. It's not fun using natural gas right now. We have around 380.000 households with natural gas boilers. I talked to a friend of mine who runs a company which (among others) installs heatpumps. They're fully booked right though august already, and there is something of a panic run on district heating (fjernvarme) where it's possible...

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I think I read somewhere that most of the crypto blockchain is controlled by the big players so that means massive miners with warehouses. Once the crypto value crashes and their GPUs become relatively worthless to them, they might think of other uses: GPU rendering farms, cloud gaming etc. Heck, they could sell entire warehouses to Korean gaming cafes! These are cold calculating businessmen. They aren't gonna panic sell. That's what I think. I wouldn't if I had a warehouse full of GPUs.
All depends on how many cards went into the hands of the miners, and seeing some anecdotal evidence over past year it's a lot. They wouldn't be able to liquidate tons of GPUs at the same time without price crashing no matter how smart they're.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
China just shut down Shenzhen due to a covid outbreak (2,125 cases). All factories there are closed. This is the city where much of the tech coming out of china is assembled.

So, expect shortages again depending on how long it stays shut down.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I'm skeptical. What's to stop miners from living off of the tangible assets they have acquired from selling crypto and keep on hanging to their GPU stash? There might be a little price drop but not really a half MSRP one. They all know by now that GPUs have value so they won't devalue their assets by flooding the market with them. They will release them bit by bit, to keep gamers thirsting for more.
That is Intel does not launch Alchemist GPU sooner than expecting.
To not to say if Chinese manages to launch those Imagination Technologies GPUs (with the Innosilicon brand) in China hurting the sales on that place.

If there are a lot of offerings, the miners might enter on a critical situation.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
- Only $800 and $1400 bucks respectively, what a deal for B stock parts...

sigh...

Bstock is EVGA's "Refurbished" category as well too.
Also new EVGA GPU's carry a 3 year warrenty, while B Stock only has 1.

So yeah.... not gonna comment on how awesome that deal is... (with a truck load of sarcasm)

It's 2022, crap is expensive. Prices have essentially come down in relation to everything else going way up.

Were seeing a downwards spiral on AMD RX6000 series right now with the exception of the 6800XT.
But the 6600XT 6700XT and 6900XT can be almost bought for 10-15% over intital MSRP New @ some retailers (YMMV), which is not bad if you ask me.

Its only a matter of time before we see it on Nvidia.

I would never recommend anyone to buy "Bstock" at over MSRP.
We probably will never have a real MSRP, but remember at launch those GPU's were supposedly estimated at 749 (3070Ti) and 1000 (3080ti) @ intital launch. (YMMV)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
It's 2022, crap is expensive. Prices have essentially come down in relation to everything else going way up.

Yeah, but B stock is like buying used parts (because they are), but with a small 1 year warranty.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
True, 1 year warranty is kind of BS for something they are selling directly if there isn't a discount.

Its because these are most likely RMA's

They were probably fix'd inhouse, and then put on shelf after customer gave them a hard time demanding a new one.
Sometimes you win when you demand new, especially when you paid almost 200% over MSRP or your a eleet VIP member and you give customer service a hard time.

Still i would not touch them, even if they are professionally repaired or restored. Which is also probably why they are still in stock.
If your going to pay that much, you may as well fork over the extra and get sealed NIB from the start.

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
Its because these are most likely RMA's

They were probably fix'd inhouse, and then put on shelf after customer gave them a hard time demanding a new one.
Sometimes you win when you demand new, especially when you paid almost 200% over MSRP or your a eleet VIP member and you give customer service a hard time.

Still i would not touch them, even if they are professionally repaired or restored. Which is also probably why they are still in stock.
If your going to pay that much, you may as well fork over the extra and get sealed NIB from the start.

Yeah, about $150 more for new

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
  • Wow
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
XFX 6700 XT down to $599 on Newegg now, and a Gigabyte 6700 XT is $649. Huge drop from last week where they were all $799+.

There are also multiple 6600 vanillas for $429-449 and multiple 6600 XT cards for $499-$529.

Getting close to around $100-$120 over MSRP now for mid-range cards.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I can't believe the real price of an 8GB 3070 Ti was $750 to begin with. That card has to be one of the biggest ripoffs in GPU history. It chokes at 1440p.

Reactions: CP5670

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I hope this doesn't impact the coming down prices on the RX6000 series....
But i have a feeling its going to make a dent in it.

If what that article says is true, they are most likely done. Especially if this has been going on for an extended period.

Jul 27, 2020
I hope they burn to the ground for directly selling to miners. Good riddance. Bastard, sleazy scum.

1647313288348.png

All their executives deserve hard labor in prison.

Reactions: Magic Carpet

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Damn, XFX was considered one of the better tier AIBs for a good long while and held out with the lifetime warranties longer than most.

How the mighty have fallen...

Jul 27, 2020
How the mighty have fallen...
Just takes one -redacted- executive in an influential position.

Enabled by all the others around him. Agree with him. Laugh with him. Afraid to disagree with him for fear of being publicly humiliated or ridiculed by their peers. But hey, I bet they all made good money. That's all that matters, right?

Profanity is not allowed in the tech forums.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maddie

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
True, 1 year warranty is kind of BS for something they are selling directly if there isn't a discount.

I mean, they're refurbs. A 1 year warranty on refurbs is actually very good since usually it's 30-90days.

But as is tradition with refurbs, the price reduction over new is so bad they aren't really appealing.

Jul 27, 2020
I mean, they're refurbs. A 1 year warranty on refurbs is actually very good since usually it's 30-90days.
It's more problematic because with the price they are asking for, they are basically telling the customer that "Hey! We fixed it and it works fine but we don't really think it will work fine for more than a year".

You get screwed if it dies on Day 367.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Using mobile and with a coupon code, Newegg had a few 6700XT models for $549 yesterday and today. Very nice to see the prices falling.

Reactions: Stuka87