Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If i knew he was gonna flip it to a miner, i wouldn't of sold it to him and kept it for myself.
I hear ya!

I've given people cards out of my stash for gaming purposes, if they re-sold them on me, I'd be ticked too.

After all, I could have theoretically mined on them too.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The prices I'm seeing on most vendor sites I go to just keep going up instead.

Last November I went to my regional PC components store and the clerk told me the RTX 3000 series and AMD 6000 series cards prices will go up even higher in a surge when the next gen cards come out, for the simple reason that the next gen cards will also be a "paper launch" in the first weeks, followed by resellers / scalpers 'intercepting' stocks with Bots online and they'll once again all end up on sites like eBay. Which means that a lot of potential 4000 series (or 7000 from AMD or whichever numbering system they'll use for those cards) buyers will try to resort back to buying a 3000 / 6000 card instead, which in turn will inflate demand even more.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The prices I'm seeing on most vendor sites I go to just keep going up instead.

Last November I went to my regional PC components store and the clerk told me the RTX 3000 series and AMD 6000 series cards prices will go up even higher in a surge when the next gen cards come out, for the simple reason that the next gen cards will also be a "paper launch" in the first weeks, followed by resellers / scalpers 'intercepting' stocks with Bots online and they'll once again all end up on sites like eBay. Which means that a lot of potential 4000 series (or 7000 from AMD or whichever numbering system they'll use for those cards) buyers will try to resort back to buying a 3000 / 6000 card instead, which in turn will inflate demand even more.

-Yeah, people don't realize that prices are gonna suck for a long time. Up like a rocket, down like a feather is the name of the price inflation game.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Interested to see effect of Intel's arc dGPU series when they launch this year on the market.

Yeah. Not gonna buy now until intel releases and we might get some price cuts. Right now there actually is availability here but it is no wonder why 3060 ti for $1000 from stores, rx6700 is around $1200 and 6800x around $1500. 6600s are also almost $1000 and 6500 not listed yet.

At least if your card break you aren't waiting several months but my good. 3060 TI launched at like $500 in December 2020.

For intel it is the perfect situation. They can undercut the competition and still make huge bank.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Lol no.

Remember that this period of "inflated" prices is going to have long reaching ramifications: manufacturers know people will pay beaucoup bucks for their hardware so don't expect future prices to come down much, and even used hardware is basically going to sell for "MSRP" since it was purchased for double or more the price and the seller is going to want to recoup the cost.

There is also a huge market out there looking for cards, so they will keep old gen hardware and used market prices inflated what we would "expect" to pay for a long time.

Set your future hardware price expectations accordingly, it's going to suck for a long time.

Yep. When this kind of things continues for a while, everyone in the retail chain jumps in for a piece of the action.

Chip makers, OEM card Makers, Distributors, Retailers and finally scalpers.

That's 5 stages in the pipeline getting to the consumer that is getting fat and lazy on the extra profits and they will all fight to keep it rolling. Almost none of them has any real interest in prices falling since they are all getting bigger cut.

Scalpers seem entrenched now and likely to have the budgets to absorb large amounts of stock to horde and trickle out at outrageous markup.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Chip makers will eventually have a new generation of cards to sell and they'll happily push as much volume as they can. Why should they care about whether or not a scalper is left holding the bag on a massive inventory of GPUs they're trying to hoard in order to control prices? At the end of the day everyone's in it for themselves and will gladly try to squeeze anyone else in the chain if they can.

At some point there will be enough of a panic among miners that even other miners won't want to absorb the cards. ETH moving to PoS will probably cause that to happen if there isn't some big dip in prices before then that creates a wave of uncertainty and leads to similar results before then.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Can someone explain to me WHO EXACTLY are those scalpers? And why are authorities are standing there and watching? Since when anyone has the right to inject himself into any trading supply chain and redacted it up and this being legal?

We have a zero tolerance policy for profanity in the tech sub-forums.
This isn't your first offense, so you should know better. Hiding profanity by misspelling it isn't allowed, either.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Can someone explain to me WHO EXACTLY are those scalpers? And why are authorities are standing there and watching? Since when anyone has the right to inject himself into any trading supply chain and fcuk it up and this being legal?

Unless its basically life saving medicine, or test kits, free market will always have a play.
But eventually i think a lot of people will just run out cash before all the gpu scalpers get paid, so it should start falling soon.
Inflation has run amuck, cost of basic living has sky rocketed.
EDD subsidy + crypto is also heading down, and ETH is scheduled to be changed, so people are not going to buy GPU's in masses unless the next ALT coin comes out and becomes ridiculously profitable.

And again, most gamers are running out of money to inject to scalpers + GPU makers and pay that 1000 dollar videocard for High-Mid / Lower-Upper range.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
And again, most gamers are running out of money to inject to scalpers + GPU makers and pay that 1000 dollar videocard for High-Mid / Lower-Upper range.

You would think so, but looking at the Steam HW Survey, you would doubt there is a "shortage" of Ampere cards, and instead it looks like card numbers flowing seem fairly normal, just the prices are high.

There are already more RTX 3070 cards in the survey than GTX 1080, or GTX 1080 Ti, two of the most praised and had seemed, most owned enthusiast cards. It has also passed every AMD card in the survey, including the RX 580 which sold for eons, and at a MUCH lower price than the RTX 3070.

I question if the problem is really on the supply side at this point, but instead scalping has become a fixed part of the supply chain.

Scalpers just gobble up the supply and sell them for huge profits.

Of course there wouldn't be a Scalping problem if people had a bit of collective willpower to just not support them, by buying from scalpers or shady merchants overcharging.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
There are already more RTX 3070 cards in the survey than GTX 1080, or GTX 1080 Ti, two of the most praised and had seemed, most owned enthusiast cards. It has also passed every AMD card in the survey, including the RX 580 which sold for eons, and at a MUCH lower price than the RTX 3070.

I think this is because a lot of those who have gen 30 cards are also mining on them off time.
I know a lot of people that have started mining, and it make sense to recoup some of the extra cost you had to spend on the card.
A 3070 / 3080 pre LHR could effectively pay for itself in 6 months mining 24/7.
For a gamer thats 1 yr of mining while not gaming, and you would net yourself that card for free.

Only stupid people like me have 3090 and don't even think of mining out of pure ethics. Although i mine the hell out of my 1660.

My 3090 only got stressed as hell while playing Amazon's failed New World, but other then that, its been running idle most of the time as i have nothing in my bucket to catch up / play, which is driving me crazy lately.

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Only stupid people like me have 3090 and don't even think of mining
Well, I guess I'm one of the stupid ones, too. Considered mining Eth when I got my 3090 last year, but found it a bit confusing at first glance and couldn't be bothered. Kind of regretting it now.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well, I guess I'm one of the stupid ones, too. Considered mining Eth when I got my 3090 last year, but found it a bit confusing at first glance and couldn't be bothered. Kind of regretting it now.

i guess im more scared that it could kill my GPU, especially since the eVGA's are known to have some bad batches from heat and poor solder.
But i do not want to wait a long time for RMA's, nor do i want remount the air heatsink on my card which is watercooled, nor do i want to play GPUHunter and scour the web / newegg shuffle another one.

I really want a 4090, but i do not think i will get one, as i am not fond of playing upwards of 3000 dollars just for the GPU.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
For about a year and a half, I kept hearing that video card prices were high due to the pandemic. Now that folks have their shots, folks are going out to concerts & such again,
have prices started edging back down any meaningful amount?

Good news, graphics card prices are finally forecasted to drop!

1642883886964.png

A graphics card for you!
and a graphics card for you!
and a graphics card for you to!
a graphics card for everyone!

miner detail:
eth is going to need to drop down below $500 for it to start a fire sale on miner inventories of graphics cards. I am prematurely excited here. However, this will remove much of the miner demand from the GPU market, eventually forcing the scalper inventories to go into oversupply. I do not intend to stop mining myself as I feel eth will be back even if I do have to mine at a loss. The time for speculative mining has finally arrived.

Regardless I would expect it to take 3 months or so for this to actually percolate into the GPU markets. Intel launching its products into a bear market should help crash the price of GPUs to obtainable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: psolord

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Intel launching its products into a bear market should help crash the price of GPUs to obtainable.
Or... all of their sales targets for desktop cards, took mining into account, to bouy sales, and now if there's a bear market in crypto, maybe they'll cancel the release of the desktop cards outright? Just saying...

Edit: Personally, I would like to see them released.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and KompuKare

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Or... all of their sales targets for desktop cards, took mining into account, to bouy sales, and now if there's a bear market in crypto, maybe they'll cancel the release of the desktop cards outright? Just saying...
While Intel have had some embarrassing retreats from markets over the years (but have been remarkably good at suffering few consequences for this), have they ever withdrawn from a market before they launched anything? Aside from Larrabe of course.

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
While Intel have had some embarrassing retreats from markets over the years (but have been remarkably good at suffering few consequences for this), have they ever withdrawn from a market before they launched anything? Aside from Larrabe of course.
I was just thinking about Larrabe.

I am thinking this product might not make it to market:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
qyffzqbyct781.png

Sorry, gamers, that you can't find cards!

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Definitely improving, RTX 3080 LHR down from 13k (~$2000) DKK and unavailable to 10K (~$1500) DKK and available.... :p

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
I have all of the parts picked out for a new pc....just hesitant to do so now, when the prices on these parts will be down by the time a nice GPU price comes back.

I am at 1080p right now and playing older games, but still much fun as I have not gamed in years.

I am wanting to get to 2560 x 1440 and get in on the G-Sync game.

Reactions: dvsv and DAPUNISHER

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If legions of gamers actually bought tons of 3070's for $1500, then pricing is permanently screwed. Only a MASSIVE increase in supply could fix it, like 50 million cards being dumped into the market every month for the next few years. That's what it would take.

Reactions: CP5670

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Definitely improving, RTX 3080 LHR down from 13k (~$2000) DKK and unavailable to 10K (~$1500) DKK and available.... :p

Wow and I thought we Americans had it bad. I looked at a GTX 3090 founders edition card on Amazon a few days ago and a scalper was selling it for $2400 USD. That's well down from the ludicrous $3000 prices last year, so it definitely does appear GPU prices are trending down; especially since crypto is on a downward trend and mining is being frowned upon by more and more nations.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Wow and I thought we Americans had it bad. I looked at a GTX 3090 founders edition card on Amazon a few days ago and a scalper was selling it for $2400 USD. That's well down from the ludicrous $3000 prices last year, so it definitely does appear GPU prices are trending down; especially since crypto is on a downward trend and mining is being frowned upon by more and more nations.

I think the whole EU got royally screwed, in an already bad situation...