Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Only 2 solutions out of this...

1. Tax Crypto so ridiculously high that no one wants to touch it without massive tax consequences.
2. Dont support it so it dies a horrible death like how other alt coins are dying.

I don't see 2 anytime soon with ETH or BTC... but 1 is a possibility.
But we will probably get political which i do not want to go to if we go that route.

Oh we did hope intel would fix the market, but they officially announced that there cards are miner friendly... so welp, there goes that hope.
As with human stupidity being infinite... so is a cyrpto miners greed, but lucky for us a miners is limited to the Amperage their circuit breaker can handle.

• Love
Reactions: psolord

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
When are APUs going to be strong enough for most tasks like VR and so on?
I heard a new AMD chip with modern graphics would be coming out in 2022.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Word has the dems are trying to pass a bill to make online shopping bots illegal to sell and make.
But i hear loop hole is if you use a VPN to another country, you could gray line the ban and law.

Without getting more political about it, i think they should just ban scalping in general over a set percentage on high demand items, with the exclusion on collectables / antiques.

For example you can scalp a 10yr old gpu as a collectable, but something which was released within the past 2 yrs can only be set at a max value of 20-30% over MSRP.

GPU's are so hot at the moment, thief's are tagging guys who wait in line at best buys, and then following them to there cars to grab the GPU they waited 18 hours in line for, because they know they can flip the merch in under 48 hours for anywhere between 1000 to 2000 dollars depending on the gpu.

Its really sad its come to this.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Price-fixing in general is a bad idea. Market forces are market forces. When you have limited supply and nearly unlimited demand, of course prices go up. Conversely, there are laws against scalping event tickets in most states.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
GPU-NAZI~ lol....
You didn't look down... and tried to have eye contact...

thats why he yelled at you.

• Haha
Reactions: UsandThem

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
#MLM.... Miners Life Matters yo... well to some degree...
With winter coming, you can't really say much... its either waste all the energy on a space heater, or use a GPU to generate income and warm your house.

During winter its a win win situation, as it would be wasted anyhow on a space heater, unless your using natural Gas to heat the house, which most Apt's and houses which don't use central heating don't do.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
During winter its a win win situation, as it would be wasted anyhow on a space heater, unless your using natural Gas to heat the house, which most Apt's and houses which don't use central heating don't do.

There are also heat pumps, which are far more efficient. Crappy heat pumps will be 3x more efficient, and good ones will be 6x more efficient.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
There are also heat pumps, which are far more efficient. Crappy heat pumps will be 3x more efficient, and good ones will be 6x more efficient.

if your talking about turning a AC in reverse, then yes as larry says, its not very efficient when outside temps are like -10F.
Also a mining rig allows you to recover some of that cost in electricity so its still far more efficient cost and money wise then a space heater.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Not for New England winters.
If it is good enough for the artic circle it is good enough for your home.

The problems with heat pumps all occur when a drooling moron replaces the thermostat. They are designed for defrost cycles, to remove the ice off them in the winter. This is controlled by the thermostat.

Even if the el-cheapo crapo ones from the 70s have to run continuously, are still more energy efficient then resistance heating. They just need to be setup as the manufacturer designed, rather then some property owner deciding "upgrade" the thermostat.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The 6900XT at $1500-ish seems like a decent deal these days. Still marked up but much less than than most of the other cards, since it's less suited for mining.

Reactions: Leeea
Feb 4, 2009
Very true

If it is good enough for the artic circle it is good enough for your home.

The problems with heat pumps all occur when a drooling moron replaces the thermostat. They are designed for defrost cycles, to remove the ice off them in the winter. This is controlled by the thermostat.

Even if the el-cheapo crapo ones from the 70s have to run continuously, are still more energy efficient then resistance heating. They just need to be setup as the manufacturer designed, rather then some property owner deciding "upgrade" the thermostat.
I remember our Bosch pump having an onboard thingy that handed defrosting. I do hear it run short cycles occasionally when it is really cold outside even when it is below its normal operating temp.
We have a dual fuel system heat pump & oil

Not for New England winters.
Our Bosch unit works perfectly fine down to 25 degrees it is very power efficient. Decreases dramatically under 20 degrees.
We could heat the home thru the entire winter with a heat pump however at some point in late December it becomes electric heat. Typically first week in January switches to oil because of the outside temperature and it stays on oil they February. There are overnight times when oil comes on now.
Thermostats are smart enough to swap fuel based upon the outside temperature. Mine is set to use oil under 25 degrees, use heat pump 25 degrees or above.

Owned solar panels plus heat pump FTW.
We typically pay one or two small electric bills (we got solar before net metering) and one normal sized bill per year. Jan/march are the small bills like $25 February is the big one like $100-$150.

Reactions: Leeea

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Watch and weep. Both CPU as well as GPU prices predicted to JUST KEEP GOING UP.

Man, I really miss those $30-50 (new!) Athlon 200GE APUs. Those were fun days, when you could complete a working build for $250-300.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well I for one, managed to get a 3060ti for "only" 600 euros and that's in mothereffin Greece of all places, lol! The retailer honored an order that I had pending for a loooong time, at the price the order has been made.

I consider myself super lucky and if a miner is interested for it, he can suck my blueberries. Although I managed to get a current gen card, I will continue to hate on gpu crypto mining as fiercly as always.

Also I am currently doing some testing on the 11yo 2500k just for fun. Here is an example if anyone is interested. (non monetized channel, just for fun)

11yo old system from gen7 console era, with PCI-e 2.0, hard disk install, quad core that has to do everything including shitnuvo calls and still manages to run the game better than Gen9 consoles, lol.

SimplyComplex

Jul 4, 2009
Crypto is the reason for newer cards. For older cards, it's 100% scalping. If you look at the payback period for say a 670 GTX at $120 (the going rate), you'd need to mine 24/7 for about 2 years to pay back the card cost assuming free electricity.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I consider myself super lucky and if a miner is interested for it, he can suck my blueberries.

3060ti is LHR....

The bulk of the miners would not even want that card over a 6600XT or even a 2060.

The price hike is from scalpers and shortages in general.
Mostly because bots can command and buy up whatever inventory is in stock, and scalpers can constantly flip the cards to desperate gamers.

Anyhow congrats... the last videocard i got was a 3070RTX non-LHR from eVGA for 600 dollars.
I gave it to my cousin at that price for his rig.. found out later he flipped it as his friend whose a miner offered 1200 dollars for it right on the spot.
His PC now has a 730GT as i warned him way in advance that he would not be able to get another GPU, but did not take me seriously.

Needless to say he will probably never get another GPU from me if i ever get another one magically somehow even tho i have 12 x 1660 Supers mining as i am quite spiteful he flipped it.
If i knew he was gonna flip it to a miner, i wouldn't of sold it to him and kept it for myself.