Question Are there any cases like the Dell XPS 8940?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I really like the Dell XPS 8940 case for my needs: easy power button access, plenty of USB 3 ports on front, SD card slot, USB-C port for fast phone charging and fast data transfer, easy access to DVD (although I don't need it to be a slot loader), and clean look.

I am repulsed by RGB on computers. I don't want anything huge, mid-size is ideal. I don't care too much about cooling (I won't be overclocking or using high powered components).

I'm pondering building my own computer. But, I haven't yet found a case that is even remotely as good. So far the best that I've found is the Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C. But it has no SD card slot and no optical drive.
Adding in two external devices destroys the user friendliness and look.

Any suggestions that are close to the XPS 8940? I'd like to keep it to the lower $100 range, if possible.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
You should be able to install an optical (dvd) drive at the top front of the R6. See page 10 in the manual. You will need to open the front door to access the drive. They also make external dvd drives.

You could always get a usb sd card reader or get one that fits in the dvd drive area and ditch the dvd drive or get an external drive.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You should be able to install an optical (dvd) drive at the top front of the R6. See page 10 in the manual. You will need to open the front door to access the drive. They also make external dvd drives.

You could always get a usb sd card reader or get one that fits in the dvd drive area and ditch the dvd drive or get an external drive.
Thanks for looking at it in more detail. The photos didn't look like it was a door with an accessible drive, it looked more like a removable panel.

I can find a few combined DVD drives + SD card readers. But they so far are all ordered in quantities of 1000. Maybe I'll go with an adapter plate: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...CDFDCAGE/dp/B0009F8DV4/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1
Still a bit clumsy, but better than external components.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for looking at it in more detail. The photos didn't look like it was a door with an accessible drive, it looked more like a removable panel.

I can find a few combined DVD drives + SD card readers. But they so far are all ordered in quantities of 1000. Maybe I'll go with an adapter plate: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...CDFDCAGE/dp/B0009F8DV4/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1
Still a but clumsy, but better than external components.
No problem. I have the older R5 so I was curious what they changed. It turns out they changed a bunch of things. My older version has 2 - 5.25" drive slots which would be perfect for you. https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-r5-atx-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352048

How would you use that adapter? Would you use a slim internal dvd drive (if they make them) and a 3.5" card reader?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Yes, I was thinking about a slim internal DVD drive and a 3.5" reader. Do you like your R5? Would you recommend it?
I like it a lot and it's really quiet. If you open the door there is a 3 position fan switch to control the speed of the fans. The side and front panels are insulated which also helps. I haven't even added any extra fans. Building with it is easy. I just updated my setup a couple of weeks ago and kept this case.

Edit: I don't think they make the R5 any more. You may be able to find it cheaper or used if you look around. I only linked to newegg since they usually have good pics. Also, Antec makes some plain looking cases that might be worth looking at.

Wish I could help more but the trend for cases is to have wide open front panels full of fans for airflow and a glass side panel to show off your bling.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
When I went into the detailed specifications, I found out that the Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C was an inch too long for my desk. I ended up getting a Cooler Master Silencio S400. It has the same clean look, a 5.25" slot for the optical drive, and an SD card built in. I do lose out on the convenient USB-C port, but I bought a motherboard with one on the back and I'll just have to have an extra cable running around the computer.

Reactions: balloonshark

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The thing about usb3 ports on the case, if your board can only support 2 with 1 header, then having 4 is sort of pointless as you need to use an adapter to convert it to usb2 working.

I think i only had 1 board which had 2 x usb3.0 internal headers, and that was a expensive Auros Gaming 9 board.

Also i hear a lot of bad feedback about that dell case, as it has airflow issues.
Dell is not known to do very well in thermals, they are excellent in sound, but thermals are meh, as people are more likely to complain about a loud computer over a throttling one, if it does throttle in the loads people usually do with dells.