Are the IRA Terrorists or Patriots

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi again,

Thanks for your comments. It's always enlightening to hear the views of others - especially when they result from some experiences, albeit indirectly.

edit; you said Catholic majority... they are in the minority population wise in the North.

Sorry - I meant majority of catholics!

Cheers,

Andy

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I have performed the MOONBEAM DUCK TEST and have come to the conclusion that this is the fault of George Bush.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Hi again,

Thanks for your comments. It's always enlightening to hear the views of others - especially when they result from some experiences, albeit indirectly.

edit; you said Catholic majority... they are in the minority population wise in the North.

Sorry - I meant majority of catholics!

Cheers,

Andy

Albeit indirectly... well I hold a US passport as well as an Irish EEO one... so perhaps a bit more directly than indirectly... I have a stake in this My Ireland.;)
In any event, I love the Republic and the progress it has made economically and wish that same for ALL the people of the north... I have lost my hatchet so I've none to bury... save the feeling for the English... From Personal experience... But, when my wife driving on the round a bouts ran into a green land rover... driven by the Windsor Castle Keeper I did get to visit and roam about in that rover.... had lots of papers in it with the name Charles written on them... who ever he is... any how was very impressed by the sites no one else gets to see... I was treated warmly for the 2 day I spent there... No flags on the mast though... maybe next time..:D

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Albeit indirectly... well I hold a US passport as well as an Irish EEO one... so perhaps a bit more directly than indirectly... I have a stake in this My Ireland.;)
In any event, I love the Republic and the progress it has made economically and wish that same for ALL the people of the north... I have lost my hatchet so I've none to bury... save the feeling for the English... From Personal experience... But, when my wife driving on the round a bouts ran into a green land rover... driven by the Windsor Castle Keeper I did get to visit and roam about in that rover.... had lots of papers in it with the name Charles written on them... who ever he is... any how was very impressed by the sites no one else gets to see... I was treated warmly for the 2 day I spent there... No flags on the mast though... maybe next time..:D

Thanks. What do you mean by "save the feeling for the English" exactly?

Cheers,

Andy

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
You fall in the terrorist category when you purposely kill innocent civilians.

Gosh, the US shouldn't have dropped that bomb on Japan then...

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Andy,

Long story short. When I went to Europe '80 and '81 it was to close a plant in Skelmersdale, England a place near Wigan and move the assets to Cork. I also had to close down the operations in Maidenhead a town near London. I spent a lot of time back and forth. The folks in England thought I was British because of my name (Harold-James, my first name) no matter where I went the non Irish in England always went out of their way to laugh at the Mick in various ways. If it was football, or just some dumb thing that occured.."probably some dam mick" "papist bas...." etc. If it was occasional I'd write it off but, it was constant... as if all the wrongs on earth were the result of the Irish. But, then in Skelmersdale when I first walked in I saw the ruddy faces that I took to be Scot with the accent... they were from Ireland the North. The Works Manager was English... he actually came to Ireland as Works Manager in Cork and was a nice person... "Bloody Hell" is all he seemed to ever say. The English workers were well informed and the last terminated the Irish ones were ... well .. let go pronto. The Managing Director took great pride in his ability to deal with "the Irish problem here". This coupled with the history I am familiar with in my own family line tainted my view. I start out with a negative feeling toward people in England till I get to know them and if they are nice... I am. If they are not I simply ignore them... I'm not a fighter... more a coward... but, I have feelings. If a people step on those feelings enough I feel bad.. I've not had too many good experiences to allow those feelings to become normal as where I grew up where everyone got along (in the neighborhood). Perhaps, as I age into more rational thought I'll become less cynical and more understanding... meeting nice folks on the forum does help diminish those feelings. Perhaps I've only met the mean spirited ones and the other 40 million are real decent folks and I'm all wrong. I don't know this though. Perhaps if I am able to retire in Ireland and visit more often I'll learn the true nature of the English if I am wrong in my thoughts today.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Well, you've met another one :) who I hope you would agree is not meeting your negative fears. I remember back in the early 80's things were a lot different . "Public" racism was rife (jokes on the TV, "Love thy neighbour" "sitcom" - that was BAD, and the press in general). This was not just limited to Black people but also, of course, the Irish. I'm happy to say that nowadays IMHO things are a lot better. One of the few benefits of the PC culture Britain has fostered is purging of the "in your face" racism that was ingrained in our culture. Lifting this has thankfully allowed for most people to develop their own more moderate and intelligent views.

Cheers,

Andy

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Well, you've met another one :) who I hope you would agree is not meeting your negative fears. I remember back in the early 80's things were a lot different . "Public" racism was rife (jokes on the TV, "Love thy neighbour" "sitcom" - that was BAD, and the press in general). This was not just limited to Black people but also, of course, the Irish. I'm happy to say that nowadays IMHO things are a lot better. One of the few benefits of the PC culture Britain has fostered is purging of the "in your face" racism that was ingrained in our culture. Lifting this has thankfully allowed for most people to develop their own more moderate and intelligent views.

Cheers,

Andy

My favorite show was Faulty Towers... I've all the DVDs 13 episodes and when I get down I pop one in and watch it. It is the best humor ever created IMO.

I follow your posts and enjoy them for their content, insight and clarity. I believe you to be a decent person. I've found many here who may differ with me but, I respect their person because although I see "it" differn'tly they differ on the merits and not the race or religion of the oposition.
Cheers,

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: HJD1

Cheers,

Andy

My favorite show was Faulty Towers... I've all the DVDs 13 episodes and when I get down I pop one in and watch it. It is the best humor ever created IMO.

I follow your posts and enjoy them for their content, insight and clarity. I believe you to be a decent person. I've found many here who may differ with me but, I respect their person because although I see "it" differn'tly they differ on the merits and not the race or religion of the oposition.
Cheers,

I love FT too (I sometimes think I feel as Basil must when at his stressed out worst!). I saw the US remake - and was horrified! Could they make the Basil substitute any LESS funny!

Cheers,

Andy

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Andy

I love FT too (I sometimes think I feel as Basil must when at his stressed out worst!). I saw the US remake - and was horrified! Could they make the Basil substitute any LESS funny!

Cheers,

Andy[/quote]

Never saw it.. I can't imagine trying to copy Cleese et. al. I only regret so few episodes were made.

Cheers,