Are Razer mice still cutting edge for games?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
It amazes me so many people are happy with mice that don't move consistently. Guess it goes to show that the manufacturers approach of producing flawed sensor mice with fancy features pays off. No mice outside of the list of esreality actually works as well as a basic $10 Microsoft Windows Optical mouse.

I won one European championship as a semi pro (COD) and I can tell you I hate how bad most of the mice listed above. Most mouse reviews are useless as this thread shows.

It amazes me how you have the "BEST mouse" yet still only a "SEMI PRO".:rolleyes:

look at the range of mice used by REAL PROS.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=172579

apparently its NOT all about the best "technical" mouse. :eek:

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Yeah the cheapo MS mice are nice. This is the best mouse ive ever used:

21KZ0PET4AL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Went through 3 of them and 1 of the blue ones. All developed a double click problem after a while. Had to get something more durable so went for an MX518.

I need better than a 3 button mouse for Games other than games though, that one would be perfect.

I like having both dpi settings above the wheel, I never knew I needed it till I bought the Razer Lachesis but now I'm owned.
mouse_razr_full.jpg

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I had a Razer Diamondback at one point. I used that mouse until the left click was completely worn out, silly Diablo 2...

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
I need better than a 3 button mouse for Games other than games though, that one would be perfect.

I like having both dpi settings above the wheel, I never knew I needed it till I bought the Razer Lachesis but now I'm owned.
mouse_razr_full.jpg

At first I thought you had taken a picture on tinfoil but now I see its a anti-static bag :D

I think the Razer/logitech arguments are a bit silly. Both mice have performance in mind and are suited for different hands. I don't think I've seen razer come out with a mouse with a large profile shape like the MX518/G5/G500. I also noticed that razer makes some left-handed models while I'm not sure if logitech does that. Personally, I enjoy the logitech MX518/G5/G500 over any other mouse on the market due to the weight modifications and the size. The side buttons help, too. I do however dislike that they keep the price inflated on the logitech series. A while ago 518's and G5's weren't as outrageous in pricing. I've also had a few issues with the cords becoming weak at key points over time. The only issues I've had with Razer mice is they simply do not function sometimes/die randomly. I've seen a few not work out of the box. It doesn't help though that razer brands itself as a GAMER CHOICE whereas logitech has always made things with office/durability in mind. Razer stuff feels of higher quality initially/aesthetically but almost always gives me the feel of less durable in the long run.

For everyday use, I use a Logitech g500/Das Keyboard (really really solid kb). I've been through a few of both mices, as I owned 2-3 deathadders, 2-3 mx518's, 2 g5's and 2-3 g500's. I've also gone through MULTIPLE gaming keyboards, and I find the biggest investment before a mouse that you can make is a solid mechanical keyboard, such as the DAS keyboard or even a keyboard such as WASDkeyboards.

edit: confirmed, you can't get a g500 in left-handed stylings. bummer! Razer does have left-handed mice available, though.

Last edited:

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Razer were never cutting edge IMO, all gimmicks and form over function.

Logitech were and still are the best. G9x is great for claw grippers.

I own 2 G9's and 1 G9x... it's the only mouse I'll ever buy again

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Used a Razer Diamondback for 3-4yrs as my main mouse. Performed very well and still use it at work. Tried a Roccat Kone + that didn't suit my hand very well and finally settled on a Mamba 2012. I love this mouse. Fairly light and fits my hand very well. Most accurate mouse I've owned.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Too bad the sarcasm tags were not included on that post. I think too many people will take you seriously without stating that fact.

Don't get me wrong, I own quite a few Logitech products. My pervious 2 keyboards were Logitech's, my current and last 2 mice were Logitech's (current one is a G9 which I am very happy with). But if you have ever had to deal with Logitech support you know it is probably the worst in the industry.

umm id actually call Logitechs CS one of the best out there never had a single issue with them. their warrenty/replacement support is amazing

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Not to 'but in' but since I 'm shopping for a mouse... what is a nice wired THIN profile mouse (like the old dells; not the newer ones). THe one thing I don't like abuot logitec is they are too big. On amazon most of the razer models are a bit over priced and not well reviewed - is that E-blue the only option ? (logitec used to make a nice mouse but I think they found the larger models were more profitable and stopped makign them; or at least I can't find them these days).

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Not to 'but in' but since I 'm shopping for a mouse... what is a nice wired THIN profile mouse (like the old dells; not the newer ones). THe one thing I don't like abuot logitec is they are too big. On amazon most of the razer models are a bit over priced and not well reviewed - is that E-blue the only option ? (logitec used to make a nice mouse but I think they found the larger models were more profitable and stopped makign them; or at least I can't find them these days).

g9x with precision grip or razer orochi (laptap mouse). I use claw grip and g9x is perfect for me

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
If you like that MS mouse (which I do myself and STILL rock mine from over 10 years ago as a work mouse now) try the SteelSeries Xai. It's ambidextrous, and shaped very closely to the MS Explorer, but better in every way. LOVE this mouse.

Yeah i considered that one, it was very expensive last i looked though.

Im right handed but ambidextrous mice like that are the best, I used to use the old intellimouse forward/backward buttons as melee and throw nade which worked fantastically. Its a bit tougher with both buttons on the same side.