Are demographics changing the "solid south"

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
After Nixon's "southern strategy" which aligned the Republicans with the whites in the south who were racist the south has been a lock for the Republicans, excluding the year Carter, a southerner took some southern states.

I had thought that Virginia and North Carolina were changing, but I figured it was the Bush disaster that brought both into the Democratic column. Looking at the polls Obama leads in both states. I knew Virginia had been changing pretty fast but North Carolina?

Virginia voted solidy for a Republican for President for 40 years and with the exception of LBJ in 1964 it voted Republican for 56 years until it went Democratic in 2008.

North Carolina voted Republican for 28 years up until it went Democratic in 2008.

Are we seeing a major shift? While Republicans have made some inroads in the north, like Pennsylvania, they still haven't broken thru.

After another 4 or 8 years if the trend continues Virginia and North Carolina could be solidly Democratic.

The big question is Florida which has also been pretty much Republican but has moved into a pick'em state. Florida has also seen the same demographic shifts so the question is will this be the last year it is still pick'em and moves into the Democratic column?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Texas is going to go blue eventually, due to demographics. I can't wait for the conservative tears when that happens.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The issue is my generation and the surrounding ones. Believe it or not, we're not as bigoted as our parents on average, even the conservative ones. There are tons of young, socially moderate conservatives who are being completely alienated by the culture wars the right insists on perpetrating. But the right has made the decision to appeal more to the previous generation, to old, rich, flabby fundies and country bumpkins who can barely check their email.

Eventually that generation will die out, and within the next 4 decades I imagine you'll see a significant social shift in the Republican platform.

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Of course it is, the White population is dropping like a rock in the USA. The only reason white people are still a majority is due to the huge population of old white people, and they wont be around forever of course. The majority of children under age 2 are now non-white, and in 16 years from now they will be of voting age and will vote for who reflects them best...Latino delegates and Black delegates. Both groups vote for the Democrats overwhelmingly, its no surprise the DNC cators to those two groups so much nowadays. The Republicans might see a swan-song [ie- one of the last Republicans to become President] if Romney wins this election, but its a swan song for a reason...The demographics paint a solidly DNC voting population as the years go on.

Also Europe, Canada and Australia are seeing a fast rising % of non-whites. I would say that the tables have made a 180 as far as white dominance of the world goes, with the former in a steady decline now both in terms of sheer numbers and as a % of every country in the West. Which is a good thing as Colonialism was nasty and karma is at work..

Last edited:

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Of course it is, the White population is dropping like a rock in the USA. The only reason white people are still a majority is due to the huge population of old white people, and they wont be around forever of course. The majority of children under age 2 are now non-white, and in 16 years from now they will be of voting age and will vote for who reflects them best...Latino delegates and Black delegates. Both groups vote for the Democrats overwhelmingly, its no surprise the DNC cators to those two groups so much nowadays. The Republicans might see a swan-song [ie- one of the last Republicans to become President] if Romney wins this election, but its a swan song for a reason...The demographics paint a solidly DNC voting population as the years go on.

Also Europe, Canada and Australia are seeing a fast rising % of non-whites. I would say that the tables have made a 180 as far as white dominance of the world goes, with the former in a steady decline now both in terms of sheer numbers and as a % of every country in the West. Which is a good thing as Colonialism was nasty and karma is at work..

Librulism will lead to the destruction of the Caucasian race, very sad.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Please post your support for this statement.

The strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon and Republican Senator Barry Goldwater[1] in the late 1960s.[2] The strategy was successful in some regards. It contributed to the electoral realignment of Southern states to the Republican Party, but at the expense of losing more than ninety percent of black voters to the Democratic Party. As the twentieth century came to a close, the Republican Party began trying to appeal again to black voters, though with little success.[2] In 2005, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized for his party's use of the Southern Strategy in the previous century.[3]

How else do you think southern white conservatives swung from Democrat to Republican starting with Nixon?

An interview with Lee Atwater, Karl Rove's predecessor:

Bob Herbert, a New York Times columnist, reported a 1981 interview with Lee Atwater, published in Southern Politics in the 1990s by Alexander P. Lamis, in which Lee Atwater discussed politics in the South:

Lee Atwater
You start out in 1954 by saying, "N****R, N****R, N****R." By 1968 you can't say "N****R"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.[36]
And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N****R, N****R".[7]

Herbert wrote in the same column, "The truth is that there was very little that was subconscious about the G.O.P.'s relentless appeal to racist whites. Tired of losing elections, it saw an opportunity to renew itself by opening its arms wide to white voters who could never forgive the Democratic Party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks."[37]

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
How else do you think southern white conservatives swung from Democrat to Republican starting with Nixon?

An interview with Lee Atwater, Karl Rove's predecessor:

Posts without links are useless. You forgot the links. I suspect you have them and did not post them by accident.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Texas is going to go blue eventually, due to demographics. I can't wait for the conservative tears when that happens.

figures you libs look at the color of skin and that is all. I do not think Any small business man of latin origin is going to vote for your guy.

Shallow

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
figures you libs look at the color of skin and that is all. I do not think Any small business man of latin origin is going to vote for your guy.

Shallow

And in terms of population %, small business owners make up how much? Not much. That makes the % of Hispanic small business owners even smaller.

Fact of the matter is, Texas is on track to be a pluarlity Hispanic state slightly ahead of the 2020 census and outright majority no to long after. All the gerrymandering in the world doesn't change that. And yes, outside of voting for Bush, Texas Hispanics overwhelmingly vote for Democrats. There are two reasons why they voted for him. He was from Texas snd he was pushing immigration reform that no one else in his party really supported. The Republican party supports it even less now. Republicans will NEVER again see the Hispanic vote totals Bush received in 2000/2004. Well not unless they get rid of the Tea Party influence.

Texas should have its first Hispanic Governor by the mid 2020s(my bet is the current Mayor of San Antonio). Good chance the first Hispanic US President will happen in the 2030s, and there is a good chance they will be from Texas.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Posts without links are useless. You forgot the links. I suspect you have them and did not post them by accident.

Here's your link, you imbecile hack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

I suspect you made the comment because you know the GOP's strategy since Nixon was to appeal to racist whites. Even the chair of the GOP apologized for it:

MILWAUKEE -- The head of the Republican National Committee issued a sweeping apology to the NAACP yesterday for a decades-old practice of writing off the black vote and using racial polarization to win elections.

RNC chairman Ken Mehlman said civil rights legislation pushed by President Lyndon Johnson, a Democrat, in the 1960s solidified black support for that party for decades and ''we Republicans did not effectively reach out."

''Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," he added. ''I am here as Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

And since it's so important to you, here's the fucking link:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/07/15/gop_ignored_black_vote_chairman_says/

Sorry about your racist party.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Here's your link, you imbecile hack

Now now, don't blame me for your failure and incompetance. Aim your anger for yourself, since you are the incompentant one.

Being mad at others for your own failures is lame.

As for racist party, I thnk you forgot about Byrd.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Now now, don't blame me for your failure and incompetance. Aim your anger for yourself, since you are the incompentant one.

Being mad at others for your own failures is lame.

As for racist party, I thnk you forgot about Byrd.

Yes, keep deflecting.

The very fact that i HAD to post 'proof' of the GOP's racist strategy really says something about the ignorance of your own party.

And sorry, but byrd was:

a) one senator

and

b) dead

Most of the racist dixiecrats like Strom Thurmond jumped to the GOP. Not sure why Byrd didn't, but he really should have.

The Southern Dixiecrat is all but dead and the south is the GOP's base of power. Are you really going to deny all that?

If it wasn't true, the head of the RNC wouldn't have felt the need to apologize to African Americans for the GOP's absolute horrid behavior.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Yes, keep deflecting.

WHy are you still blaming others for your incompetance?

The very fact that i HAD to post 'proof' of the GOP's racist strategy really says something about the ignorance of your own party.

You really thought you did not need to support your claims? Are you serious?

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
I believe the GOP believes it can long term realign itself to capture more of the emerging minority voting population. I think they underestimate what the Democrats have been doing for the last few decades, building trust within the minority communities. These voters will not be so quick to jump ship.

Their decisions in the near term all seem to reflect this. Long term this is good for the country. To no longer be held hostage by socially backward Southern white culture will be a good thing. We need progressive states to continue to lead the way so we can move our conversation forward to more important issues.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
WHy are you still blaming others for your incompetance?

You really thought you did not need to support your claims? Are you serious?

Lol incompetence. What next, berating me for typos?

And no, I shouldn't have post proof of common knowledge. That really highlights how ignorant you are.

Notice also that you haven't actually countered my support. Sorry about your racist party. Owned.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Lol incompetence. What next, berating me for typos?

And no, I shouldn't have post proof of common knowledge. That really highlights how ignorant you are.

Notice also that you haven't actually countered my support. Sorry about your racist party. Owned.

You realize that
A whopping 40% of the House Democrats VOTED AGAINST the Civil Rights Act, while 80% of Republicans SUPPORTED it. Republican support in the Senate was even higher.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
You realize that
A whopping 40% of the House Democrats VOTED AGAINST the Civil Rights Act, while 80% of Republicans SUPPORTED it. Republican support in the Senate was even higher.

You do realize that we're taking about the southern strategy and Nixon turning the South over to the gop right? Are you going to claim those dixiecrats that voted against the cra as Liberals? The Democrats of yesterday have nothing to do with the ones of today. There's A reason that racists like Strom Thurmond jumped to the gop like many of his former dixiecrats

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You realize that

Yep, followed almost immediately by Repubs' switch to their "Southern Strategy" & southern white conservatives finding their message appealing...

Strom Thurmond led the defection from the Democratic party- you know, the guy with the longest filibuster on record, made against the Civil Rights Act...

Lyndon Johnson, who worked hard for passage, supposedly remarked that Dems had lost the South for a generation. He underestimated the virulence of southern conservative racism, however- it's been nearly 2 generations, and they're still staunch Repubs.

The party of Lincoln has fallen a very long way...