Are brand name products really better than generic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jugernot, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

Brand name Cheese is almost always better than Generic. Cheese is very much like Wine, quality varies a lot.

2. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

One thing I have given up on Generics with is Baked Beans. Generics make some of the worst Baked Beans in existance, it's unbelievable to me just how awful they are.

3. wetcat007

wetcat007 Diamond Member

I've often found the reverse actually.

4. natto fire

natto fire Diamond Member

Most things I am fine with generic. I am very particular certain things, like bread and mayonnaise. Hellmans cannot be beat for may, and I have to get my bread from Arnold's/Orowheat/Brownberry or Trader Joes sprouted. Another thing generics seem to be unable to get is steak sauce, as A1 is miles ahead of any genric I have tried, but I don't eat steak too often.

I guess the greens we grow and eggs our hens lay are technically generic, and they are much better than any of said items I have ever purchased from a grocery store.

5. DanMart25

DanMart25 Member

I also feel that generic medicines are as good as branded ones; however its not the same for shoes, clothes, computer parts etc.

6. Spineshank

Spineshank Diamond Member

I bought generic pop tarts once. Forget what they were called, but they were terrible.

7. ForumMaster

ForumMaster Diamond Member

well, can you find me a generic hard drive? a generic processor? but generic drugs, sure. generic clothes? definitely.

8. BurnItDwn

BurnItDwn Lifer

Ehh most generics are pretty much the same thing as the product they are trying to imitate.
    With drugs, the active ingredient is 100% the same, and fillers vary, but usually the difference in fillers is not significant in the effectiveness of the medicine.
    The generic pop tarts that Aldi's has kick ass, I like them better than real pop tarts.
    Generic pop tends to suck. I love my RC, Coke, and Pepsi, but "Sams Cola" is teh suck.
    I tend to buy my clothes at Kohls or sometimes Walmart. I don't care what the brand name is, I just make sure whatever I'm buying fits well. For Jeans, Lee, Levi, or "Wrangler" all fit fine and last a long time.
    As far as computer parts go, Newegg and some other larger vendors do have their own house brand, and most of the time it's just rebadged stuff. I've never had an issue with Newegg's house brand and I will buy again if it's priced right.