Are brand name products really better than generic?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Personally, I find that 80-90% of the time, the generic equivelent food/medicine tastes/works the same as the brand name.

The same can't be said for most everything else (computer parts, auto parts, office supplies, etc.)

What do you think? What doesn't measure up?

Jugs

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
drugs, i love generic, cuz its basically the same thing, only patent is no longer enforced.

Clothing, well, depends on generic. I think humans are afixiated on greed, so obviously has to be something really blingy with a high class name.

I dont think anyone would buy a generic car, although honda accord and camry along with corolla is getting up there.

Office Supplies. OMG STAPLES ISNT A NAME BRAND?!?!?!? :p

ROFL, can you guys imagine a generic processor. Call it Le Core.

Kinda like Le Car back in the days.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
A lot of things are just re-branded anyways, so they're exactly the same.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Your missing an option, that is "Depends on the product". Brand name salt and generic salt are the exact same thing (as well as baking soda, sugar, ect) so why buy the more expensive stuff? However, soaps, personal grooming products, ect. seem to be better brand named. (usually, not always)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
While I'm confident they are rebranded Duracells, Kroger batteries just don't seem to last as long as their counterparts. My guess is that they didn't meet QC inspection.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
FWIW:

A friend of mine works in a chemical plant that manufactures both store brands and "actual" brands. He said the chemical composition of each product is identical, therefore the same. So no, brand name products are not better than generic.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Sunglasses certainly come to mind.

There's the big issue. There's a difference between rebranding and knock offs.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Depends on the type of product
Definitely.
I have yet to find a marshmallow cereal other than Lucky Charms that doesn't suck. Other things, such as generic butter - I can't taste a difference. Cream + salt. You can't really screw it up.

It also depends on the store brand in question. I've found Wegmans and Giant Eagle brand generic ice cream to be on par with Edy's or Turkey Hill.
Shampoo is bought based on price, and usually White Rain wins out.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: goog40
A lot of things are just re-branded anyways, so they're exactly the same.

i buy generic on a lot of things. if its something new i will buy one to test it out. some things are fine in generic others are not.

Aigomorla: hahah if they came out with a "le Core" i would buy it just for fun if it was cheap enough. just to say i had it LOL

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
When it comes to clothes, yes. Brand name clothes always last much longer, hold their color much better than no-name cheap stuff that falls apart in under a year.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: vi edit
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Sunglasses certainly come to mind.

There's the big issue. There's a difference between rebranding and knock offs.

anything thats related to fashion should fall in this catigory.

How many Fake LV's have you seen? :p

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I find Generics to usually lack in some way, sometimes a lot, other times very little. Those that are ery close I buy again.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Well, medicines are regulated, so the generics have to be what they say they are.

Foods/drinks, it depends, but the fake Dr Peppers don't taste nearly as wonderful as Dr Pepper.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Gothgar
Well, medicines are regulated, so the generics have to be what they say they are.

Foods/drinks, it depends, but the fake Dr Peppers don't taste nearly as wonderful as Dr Pepper.

The Walmart "Dr. Thunder" isn't too bad. It's about as close as I've found.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

but the generic Beer is great! one of the stores have it for $1.99 for 6pack its called "beer".

ok part of that is a lie. it sucks. i got it when i was 21 heh

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: waggy

but the generic Beer is great! one of the stores have it for $1.99 for 6pack its called "beer".

ok part of that is a lie. it sucks. i got it when i was 21 heh

:D

Any alcohol at 21(18 in the Civilized world) seems great!