Are any Celeron 1037U Motherboards actually available?

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
For anyone looking for a cheap low power board with four native SATA 6 Gbps ports this ASRock C70M1 finally showed up at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157594&ignorebbr=1

13-157-594-TS

(Amazon also has it for $39.99 free shipping)

This after commenting in May 2014 on how late its release was:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36312425&postcount=106

New manufacture Brazos in 2015 who would have thought? But turns out this board was actually based on one originally with a E-350 (with some rear i/o removed to make it lower cost):

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36312594&postcount=108

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
For anyone looking for a cheap low power board with four native SATA 6 Gbps ports this ASRock C70M1 finally showed up at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157594&ignorebbr=1

13-157-594-TS

(Amazon also has it for $39.99 free shipping)

This after commenting in May 2014 on how late its release was:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36312425&postcount=106

New manufacture Brazos in 2015 who would have thought? But turns out this board was actually based on one originally with a E-350 (with some rear i/o removed to make it lower cost):

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36312594&postcount=108

This board is now on sale for $29.99 After $10 rebate with .99 shipping.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
The board is indeed $44.99, but not free shipping.

When I clicked on it just now it does say $2.99 shipping, but when I click on it again it says free shipping. When I take the item to checkout and enter my zip "free shipping" remains one of the options.

Not sure what is going on here? It must be a problem with Newegg's server. (It has done this weird shipping switcharoo before as well).

robskillz

Nov 28, 2007
I ordered one of these low-profile Pegatron NM70-T1 motherboards direct from Zoostorm after seeing this so here's a little info on it.

The board came with the tall I/O shield, Delta mains power supply, generic Realtek mini PCIe wi-fi card with 1 pigtail cable and a pair of SATA data/power cables to power a HDD straight off the mobo. No paperwork or driver CD.

The part ref. was 1470-0000 and the price £50 + £12.50 postage + VAT = £75 so not too bad considering it comes with PSU.

I just added a cheap Kingston mSATA SSD and a stick of RAM. The only thing missing was 2 screws to hold the mini PCIe cards down. I took these out of a random CDROM drive I had lying around. They are tiny!

The only other cost was my donation to China Labor Watch as penance for supporting the bad ethics of Pegatron!

The CPU fan is pretty quiet, just trickling away really and as the rig is behind a glass door I can't hear it. Unless something maxes out the CPU for ages causing it to run at full speed!

The BIOS is not that flexible in terms of options. Can't disable the onboard LVDS display though you can do this in GRUB or Windows.

The wifi card is pretty flaky but that might be due to me only connecting one antenna to the included pigtail. There are 2 sockets on the card so you could connect 2 pigtails.

Other than that, no complaints and it seems to be surviving in a fanless case.

Hope that gives someone some information!

img_0123.jpg

Hi, I'm new here but I followed this thread from the start, as I've been looking to build/buy a htpc/nas combo on the cheap and I like the idea of using the 1037u. I am based in the UK and I actually wrote to Zoostorm about their mini desktop pc and they got back to me fairly quickly. You are right about the motherboard! here is their full answer:

"Yes the PC will support a slimline optical drive, but will not support additional SATA hardware.
The hard drive used is a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue 2.5" SATA, you can replace this with a larger one if you so wish.

The motherboard currently used is Pegatron NM70-T1 thin mini-ITX board & PSU, Celeron 1037u"

I also asked them to confirm whether the motherboard comes with a tall I/O shield and whether there is a way this machine can take an expansion slot bracket for PCI-E tuner card for example. Their reply :

"Unfortunately the unit will not support expansion cards such as a TV tuner card, but will obviously support a USB alternative."

I was thinking of buying this and adding an SSD and a 2 or 4TB HDD - but now I'm not so sure. I've never built a machine before, but hope that it is something that I can do as I've frequently tinkered with computers adding and removing components (albeit last time I've done this was in 2003!).

I would like to put together something that has a bluray drive, room for 2 HDDs (preferably 3.5" as they're cheaper) , an very small SSD (for OS, I will run a light linux distro so 8gb should be ok ?). and ideally, room for a pcie dvb-t2 tuner as well as usb 3.0 for future storage expansion if needed.
Any recommendation on motherboard + case ?
I just need this to play 1080p video (via XBMC), while running SABnzbd and couchpotatoe in the background. and with an SMB share occasionally accessed by other computers in the house.

Cheers !

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
When I clicked on it just now it does say $2.99 shipping, but when I click on it again it says free shipping. When I take the item to checkout and enter my zip "free shipping" remains one of the options.

Not sure what is going on here? It must be a problem with Newegg's server. (It has done this weird shipping switcharoo before as well).

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier:

Screenshot-10372.99shipping_zpsv0vynfjv.png

Screenshot-1037Ufreeshipping_zpsr5b40nxd.png

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Looks like the first of the full Braswell mobos are now (reliably) available on Newegg.

Asrock N3700-ITX. It's supposedly capable of 4K (Probably not at 10-bit or other high bit rates)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157626

Price is a bit steep at $100 but, I believe the 1037 boards were close to that at their introduction.

Another type of 6W BGA Pentium processor I do hope we see:

http://ark.intel.com/products/89612/Intel-Pentium-Processor-4405Y-2M-Cache-1_50-GHz

Pentium Core M (Skylake 2C/4T @ 1.5 Ghz with GT1 iGPU, H.265 decode)

bdubu

Dec 19, 2015
I know this is a stale thread and all but I thought I'd post to let others know that in addition to the usual hobbyist boards that are currently available using the 1037u (Biostar, ECS, Gigabyte, ASRock, etc.), the "palm-sized" Qotom board is apparently available through *********** for as little as $102 shipped (via DHL). As I believe was noted earlier in this thread, this board includes a DC in plug which kind of makes up for its somewhat higher cost. Also, DHGate appears to be a reputable source to order from if only based on the fact that they are willing to provide practical details on the board itself. I haven't ordered from them myself (as I'm still deciding which board to go with) but I wanted others to know that this board -- with DC in -- can be had at this price including reasonable shipping, not to mention an up-front stated "refund guarantee" backed by DHGate. If anyone orders the Quotom board via this outlet (or any other 1037u board via any other outlet), please comment here to let the rest of us know how things turned out for you. ;)

http://www.***********/store/product/100-brand-new-intel-celeron-1037u-motherbaord/241133726.html
http://www.***********/store/product/100-brand-new-intel-celeron-1037u-motherbaord/241133726.html
Edit: Forum software is replacing "d h g a t e . c o m" (remove spaces) with asterisks for some reason. I guess it must be a dirty word...

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
It's been almost two years since I built my little music server sitting quietly off in a corner. This was the build:

Motherboard: ECS NM70-I2 (V1.0) w/Intel Celeron 1037U 1.8 GHz, dual-core
Memory: 8 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 1.5V 9-9-9-24, F3-1600C9D-8GAO
System SSD: Mushkin ECO2 60GB SATA III, MKNSSDEC60GB
Hard Drive: Seagate/Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" SATA II, ST2000LM003
Case: Mini-Box M350 miniITX
PSU: Mini-Box picoPSU-80 12V, 60W AC-DC adapter

It's run flawlessly 24x7 for 22 months. I wouldn't mind updating the system if there's something comparable available today, at a similar price of under $100 for a mobo and CPU. Someting with a bit more processing power and M.2 for the system SSD, so I could put another 2TB HDD in the little case.

What, if anything, is like the Celeron 1037U of several years ago?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Motherboard: ECS NM70-I2 (V1.0) w/Intel Celeron 1037U 1.8 GHz, dual-core

Those were great little boards, I've still got one too (BNIB).

I agree, it would be nice to see a refreshed series of "low power ITX" board from the usual suspects, but using low-power "Big Core" CPUs, rather than Atom CPU. Unfortunately, I feel that the prospect is slim. Maybe an STX rig instead of ITX?

I'm currently using a pair of DeskMini mini-STX PCs.

bdubu

Dec 19, 2015
I'd sure like to know the answer to this question as well. A year ago I built an HTPC based on the Biostar NM70I‑1037U and it has worked flawlessly for streaming videos off the web and playing them from an attached USB drive. The system runs Linux Mint 18 and Kodi. Anyway, now I want to build something similar to it to function as my CNC computer and I don't know what Intel CPU is comparable to the 1037u. I was thinking that the N3050 (or similar) would do the trick however, I was disappointed to find that, according to cpuboss.com, it's apparently not as powerful as the 1037u despite having been released later... Funny thing, after I had bought the Biostar motherboard and was waiting for it to arrive, I started to second-guess my decision and I began thinking that I should have purchased something more powerful but in the end, I found the 1037u to be more than sufficient for my purposes, while being both efficient and inexpensive as well. I only wish I had bought two of them. ;) For anyone interested, I posted some pics of my HTPC build on Inventables' website (https://discuss.inventables.com/t/first-project-i-carved-a-computer/32080). Yep, the HTPC case itself was my first CNC project. ;)

bdubu

Dec 19, 2015
Thanks @VirtualLarry! To anyone interested, I did some investigation into the question of "what... is like the Celeron 1037U" and as best I can tell, the answer appears to be the "Apollo Lake" processors, Celeron J3455 and Pentium J4205. If so, the question then becomes which motherboard to buy and this is mostly answered given that AsRock is, to my knowledge, currently the only manufacturer of mini-itx boards that use these two CPUs. One could also consider the J3355 as well but it *might* be a bit underpowered for use in an HTPC application as its passmark is a bit lower than that of the 1037U (if that actually matters). Still in the denial stage, I'm holding out for another Biostar NM70I‑1037U, lol.

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks @VirtualLarry! To anyone interested, I did some investigation into the question of "what... is like the Celeron 1037U" and as best I can tell, the answer appears to be the "Apollo Lake" processors, Celeron J3455 and Pentium J4205.

Nope. Those are small-core atom junk too. Updated versions of the N3050. Faster, but not fast.

Honestly, your best bet is a "normal" ITX motherboard and a Celeron Dual-Core that's a real desktop CPU (G39xx series, for example). Most motherboards - even low end stuff - will let you set a maximum power limit or downclock the CPU somehow - that's basically what the 1037U was anyway. And if you don't underclock it and let it have its head, it'll win the race-to-idle every time.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
19W Mobile Richland APU (A8-5545M*) shows up on a Mini-ITX board:
Other than the four cores, any idea of how that would compare to the ol' Celeron 1037U, as far as performance goes? I'm probably not in any need to upgrade my little server just yet, but I will some day. I do like the fanless aspect of that Biostar board.

Namisecond

Nov 28, 2013
Sorry to resurrect this old and musty thread.

I think on a per-clock, per-core basis, The A8-5545 should provide about 60-70% the performance of the old Celeron 1037U.

I personally have that Biostar board and I don't like it very much. Because of the unusual mounting hole sizes, I've had no luck sourcing a better heatsink/fan combination.

For people looking for the new Gemini Lake boards, Asrock has their J5005 model, available from newegg for $119 + $2.99 shipping.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157808

For people who want smaller, and something more equivalent to the old celeron 1037, there appear to be a few small barebones NUC-sized machines based on the Celeron 3865u (Kaby Lake) processors available for under $150.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2YT-010D-00003
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110182

As for people looking into the newer Goldmont based Atom processors, the 4-core Apollo Lake chips are pretty good for video and basic productivity usage, quite a bit better than the previous generation. The Gemini Lake models like the Pentium J5005 add about 20-25% more IPC on top of the Apollo Lake chips.

Reactions: cbn