Are all Polo shirts created equal? (Difference between Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, etc...)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krylon

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2001
this, it's not always the case but my recent encounters with Marshalls & Burlington Coat Factor were this.

2 pairs of pants, totally different brands where the zipper won't stay up for more than 10 minutes when I'm walking around. These were $65 a pair normally I got for $20'ish. A polo shirt that should have cost about $60 for $15 where the buttons won't stay buttoned. I'd had some awesome luck with clothes from these places in the past. But lately it seems everything I get has issues.

Most people just call it getting fat

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Outlet stores are the rejects. Nowhere near the same quality.

The outlet stores near me seem to just sell last seasons colors/styles, i've never run into one that had an actual issue/problem.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Most people just call it getting fat

Uh yep, I mean none of my other Polos or pants do this, but it's obviously due to my fatness! And it's just dumb luck that 2 pants and 1 polo from the outlet are the only article of clothing I own that exhibit this behavior.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
The outlet stores near me seem to just sell last seasons colors/styles, i've never run into one that had an actual issue/problem.

That used to be the case but recently a lot of stores have been selling merchandise made specifically for the outlet stores. Banana republic is a good example.

This article kind of talks about this.
http://kdka.com/consumer/consumer.reports.outlet.2.1752837.html
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/consumer&id=7497762 (w/vid)

krylon

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2001
Uh yep, I mean none of my other Polos or pants do this, but it's obviously due to my fatness! And it's just dumb luck that 2 pants and 1 polo from the outlet are the only article of clothing I own that exhibit this behavior.

Fo sho

Actually I've had stuff from Aeropostle do this. The consistency of their clothing is...lacking.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I prefer RL polo's overal(price vs. quality vs. fit). Nautica is decent, Lacoste is good. Burberry is also good but t0o pricey to fill an entire wardrobe with.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
i have some 'john ashford' polos which were like 15-20 bucks at most at macy's. they've held up fine.

you designer polo people just keep on telling yourselves that you're paying massive amounts for clothing for a reason. :rolleyes:

i guess they go good with your ed hardy pants.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
i have some 'john ashford' polos which were like 15-20 bucks at most at macy's. they've held up fine.

you designer polo people just keep on telling yourselves that you're paying massive amounts for clothing for a reason. :rolleyes:

i guess they go good with your ed hardy pants.

YMMV, I've bought $20 Izods and they don't hold up for me, there's nothing worse than wearing a polo that's only been washed 15 times and having a female laugh and comment on how old the collar looks. RL polos hold up better after many washes period. You just keep telling yourself your $15-20 polos are the same quality as the nice ones. With that said if you're fine with inferior polos cool. For the price they're not bad at all, I never expect much for $20 clothing wise.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
polo and lacoste are the best, no exceptions. but anyone who pays full price for them is not doing it right (or just has a boatload of money), just like diesel jeans.

Last edited:

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
Lol the naivete of the younger posters is coming out. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. No that doesn't mean buy the most expensive, but realize that higher thread counts and increased durability carry a small premium. When you get older, you will realize that instead of constantly re-buying the el-cheapo polos, that spending extra initially will be a better investment.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
YMMV, I've bought $20 Izods and they don't hold up for me, there's nothing worse than wearing a polo that's only been washed 15 times and having a female laugh and comment on how old the collar looks. RL polos hold up better after many washes period. You just keep telling yourself your $15-20 polos are the same quality as the nice ones. With that said if you're fine with inferior polos cool. For the price they're not bad at all, I never expect much for $20 clothing wise.

$15 polos are definitely not as good as the nicer ones... but who buys $50 polos for $50s?

I buy $50 - 60 ones at Macys or whatever on sale for $20 all the time.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009

are you sure the chicks are laughing at your polo collar? ;P

if i get a chance, i'll take a pic of me in a years old polo, probably washed 40 times or more. no, i can't 'pop' the collar like an idiot without some starch. but otherwise it looks fine.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Lol the naivete of the younger posters is coming out. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. No that doesn't mean buy the most expensive, but realize that higher thread counts and increased durability carry a small premium. When you get older, you will realize that instead of constantly re-buying the el-cheapo polos, that spending extra initially will be a better investment.

lol at the naivet&#233; of old geezers who think that just because they make a good amount of money, they have to overpay for items that they would have once been more frugal with.

you're paying for a little logo of a queer on a horse. period.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
lol at the naivet&#233; of old geezers who think that just because they make a good amount of money, they have to overpay for items that they would have once been more frugal with.

lol at you for paying full price for cheap polos and then replacing them all the time when you could be buying better quality stuff for almost as cheap if you just shopped around for a little. seriously, dressing yourself nicely isn't that hard or expensive

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
The one RL polo I have, I got as a gift, and is my most comfortable polo. But it is certainly not worth $80

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
lol at you for paying full price for cheap polos and then replacing them all the time when you could be buying better quality stuff for almost as cheap if you just shopped around for a little. seriously, dressing yourself nicely isn't that hard or expensive

only reason i shop at department stores is for the sales. i doubt i've ever paid full price for anything other than t-shirts (as in, $15-20 tshirts).

come to think of it, i may have only paid like ten bucks for the polos i have. maybe a little more for some i bought in a pinch.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

I think you need to turn in your man card for even thinking about these things.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
lol at the naiveté of old geezers who think that just because they make a good amount of money, they have to overpay for items that they would have once been more frugal with.

RL's are made better, there is much more of a difference between a RL polo and a generic one or even an Izod. I use to buy $40 bed sheets before I knew better. I splurged on some more expensive ones last year and shit what a difference. High quality polos feel softer, hold up better to multiple washings and have better collars. A $70 Affliction polo isn't good quality, with that you are paying for a trendy name. But nothing in the $15-25 range will touch a Ralph Lauren polo. If you get them on clearance you can get them for close to the same price as the inferior ones. To say there's not a difference except in the logo is hilarious.

I think you need to turn in your man card for even thinking about these things.

I think about these things because a female likes a man who presents himself well, and clothing is a big part of that. Are you really saying I need to turn in my man card for putting in that extra effort to get a female to notice me? When a female notices a man good things tend to happen. A man who question another mans man card needs to think about turning his in.

Last edited:

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
I have polo shirts from everywhere. (although women's shirts are extremely different in quality from men.)

The ones that have held up the best over repeated washings and abuse are my RL polos, which I purchased at their outlet.

I have a Lacoste polo, which also holds it shape and color very well after washing.

I am currently wearing one from American Eagle, and it has definitely faded over the years, and the sleeves fold up at the seam, which bothers me.

I have a Gap polo that I have beaten to death, but it is very comfortable, fabric wise, but durability wise, no where close to the RL or Lacoste.

The collars on the RL and Lacoste polos stay in place very well - the AE and the Gap ones flop all over the place.

The hubs has several Lacoste polos, and they're all in excellent condition. His next best quality polo shirt is from Banana Republic.

If you think they're too expensive, I usually can find RL Polo's at Marshall's. We have lucked out in the past and found Lacoste ones on sale at Macys, but it's very rare.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I have a couple of Lacoste polos. I like them because I don't tuck them in and they don't have the "tails" in the back that other brands do. I got them at a lot less than the normal $75 too. I also own a lot of other brands of polos and my RL ones are usually good for about a year but start losing their color after that.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I buy most of my nice clothes from outlet stores and never had a problem with quality. BR is shitty quality to begin with.

Feb 24, 2001
lol at the naiveté of old geezers who think that just because they make a good amount of money, they have to overpay for items that they would have once been more frugal with.

Good quality polo shirts don't have the label or logo visible.

Polo = meh, paying for the horse

Now wear a Ralph Lauren Purple Label polo and see how it fits and feels. Worlds apart. Then again it's $300...

Some of the better polos out there:

John Smedley, Adam Lippes, Malo, Avon Celli, Kiton

Most are ridiculously priced yeah, but you can tell the difference between them and a $40 polo from Banana Republic.

JCrew is usually a good bet on consistent quality. Ralph Lauren Polo is hit or miss.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Good quality polo shirts don't have the label or logo visible.

Polo = meh, paying for the horse

Now wear a Ralph Lauren Purple Label polo and see how it fits and feels. Worlds apart. Then again it's $300...

Some of the better polos out there:

John Smedley, Adam Lippes, Malo, Avon Celli, Kiton

Most are ridiculously priced yeah, but you can tell the difference between them and a $40 polo from Banana Republic.

JCrew is usually a good bet on consistent quality. Ralph Lauren Polo is hit or miss.

Kiton?

Seriously, forget that shit.

When you're a multi-millionaire, you don't even have to bother with shopping. Kiton makes them for you.

Not for us lowly peons.