Arcanum is now on Steam for a mere $5.99

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://store.steampowered.com/app/500810/

For some reason there was no fuss or hype but its a darn good game.

ss_20e7a0206e35cde74e9caaafc989ea58bf8eb8e8.1920x1080.jpg

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Looks ancient and I've never heard of it. I'll grab it down the road. Thanks for the heads up.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
http://store.steampowered.com/app/500810/

For some reason there was no fuss or hype but its a darn good game.
Probably because it has repeatedly been in GOG sales for $1.20 over the past few years. It was praised for being a very different feeling game for it's time. Unfortunately it's made by "Troika" who have a history of abandoning games with massive unfixed game-breaking bugs (save game corruption, critical NPC's get stuck, invisibility ring gets stuck even after removing it leaving you unable to talk / finish quests or use vendors, etc). Same thing happened to "Temple of Elemental Evil" by same dev. Combat is very unbalanced ("mage or go home", faster to kill someone with an old stick than a gun), etc, and UI is clunky as hell even for it's era.

If you grew up with it or have a strong "nostalgia anchor" then it might be worth a shot in a sale for the memories, but playing it for the first time today and lasting more than 20mins is almost a big a challenge as completing it without something breaking... My personal consensus is "Great plot, huge potential... but then it was made by Troika..."

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I played this a ton back in the day, and it was an excellent game at the time. The lore/environments were pretty cool too, had lots of 'grey area' in regards to quests, not just 'give a girl flowers or kick her in the face' options. I also enjoyed the Magic vs Steampunk vibe they had going on. Unfortunately it was plagued by two things: horrible balance issues (i think the first death Darkness? spell or whatever was king of the game, period), and save corruption. The farthest I got was like halfway through the game then whoops! Quicksave corrupted, no we don't do rolling quicksaves. Time to start over! Sucked.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This game regularly goes on sale below $2 on Steam. Don't risk your credit card information on dodgy third-party sites just to pay extra for a game.