Arafat Op-Ed In NY Times

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<<

<< And not all Israelis hate the Palestinians, and not all Palestinians hate the Israelis. >>

That is very true.

Let me ask you this though, how do you think that peace accord should go? How do we/they solve the conflift? Any ideas?
rolleye.gif
>>

I have an idea, but I'm sure it wouldn't work. :eek:

If Israel was forced to abandoned all the "settlements," the Palestinian Authority wouldn't have anything to complain about because their complaint is always about the so-called "occupation." But if the suicide bombings continued, then I would let Israel do whatever it had to do to defend itself.
>>

Actually the deal under Clinton said specifically that and also that they would be allowed to form their own nation.

They turned it down.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<<

<<

<< And not all Israelis hate the Palestinians, and not all Palestinians hate the Israelis. >>

That is very true.

Let me ask you this though, how do you think that peace accord should go? How do we/they solve the conflift? Any ideas?
rolleye.gif
>>

If Israel was forced to abandoned all the "settlements," the Palestinian Authority wouldn't have anything to complain about because their complaint has always been about the so-called "occupation." But if the suicide bombings continued, then I would let Israel do whatever it had to do to defend itself.
>>

Now try looking at it from the Palestinians point of view and try to see what they would say. I'm just saying this b/c it seems that you are looking at it from Israel's point of view.

Aug 10, 2001

<<

<<

<<

That is very true.

rolleye.gif
>>

If Israel was forced to abandoned all the "settlements," the Palestinian Authority wouldn't have anything to complain about because their complaint has always been about the so-called "occupation." But if the suicide bombings continued, then I would let Israel do whatever it had to do to defend itself.
>>

Now try looking at it from the Palestinians point of view and try to see what they would say. I'm just saying this b/c it seems that you are looking at it from Israel's point of view.
>>

Both of you guys quoted what I said before I could fix the tenses. :eek:

But anyways, I don't know if I could. Could you look at it from their perspective?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<<

<<

<<

<<

That is very true.

rolleye.gif
>>

>>

>>

But anyways, I don't know if I could. Could you look at it from their perspective?
>>

I don't think that I can. I'm just stating that their are two sides to every story. The only problem is that the American public only hears Israel's side due to our alliance with them.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<< Both of you guys quoted what I said before I could fix the tenses. :eek: >>

Edit: my bad :eek:

Hehe sorry I know the feeling :D

I simply don't have tolerance for the Palestinians anymore. For quite a while I defended them time and time again but After Clinton pulled out every stop to get them their own country and they turned it down, I stopped having sympathy for them or their cause.

And this latest attempt to smuggle in Iranian weapons makes it even worse.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<< I don't think that I can. I'm just stating that their are two sides to every story. The only problem is that the American public only hears Israel's side due to our alliance with them. >>

For 8 years Clinton CLEARLY took the Palestinian's side. We know what they want and we know they will kill anyone to get meet their goal.

Aug 10, 2001

<<

<<

<<

<<

<<

That is very true.

rolleye.gif
>>

>>

>>

>>

I don't think that I can. I'm just stating that their are two sides to every story. The only problem is that the American public only hears Israel's side due to our alliance with them.
>>

That's not exactly true, but I don't want to get into an argument over that.

But what the Palestinian people want most is the end to what they consider the "Israeli occupation." They make that argument over and over again. Organizations like Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah, however, want the destruction of Israel.

Aug 10, 2001

<<

<< Both of you guys quoted what I said before I could fix the sentenses. :eek: >>

I simply don't have tolerance for the Palestinians anymore. For quite a while I defended them time and time again but After Clinton pulled out every stop to get them their own country and they turned it down, I stopped having sympathy for them or their cause.

>>

OK, now why did you change "tenses" to "sentences?"

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<<

<< Both of you guys quoted what I said before I could fix the sentenses. :eek: >>

>>

>>

LOL sorry! I thought you were trying to say sentences. Just trying to help you out. :eek:

You didn't really think I was trying to manipulate your statement did you?

Aug 10, 2001

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

LOL sorry! I thought you were trying to say sentences. Just trying to help you out. :eek:
>>

Oh, sorry. :eek: But I did mean tenses (i.e. past, present, and future).

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

>>

Oh, sorry. :eek: But I did mean tenses (i.e. past, present, and future).
>>

ah it was my bad. Dont worry I changed it back :D

Aug 10, 2001

<< You didn't really think I was trying to manipulate your statement did you? >>

I really didn't know. People mess with me all the time on here.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<< You didn't really think I was trying to manipulate your statement did you? >>

I really didn't know. People mess with me all the time on here.
>>

Sorry I gave you that impression. I only mess with people's arguements not their quotes :D

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

<< I'll just say that I hate both the Israelis and the Palestinians. They fight and bomb each other til no end and then yell like little children. I have no sympathy for EITHER ONE OF THEM. If both of them ended up as a greasy spot on the world map, there would be a free 5 minutes on the nightly news;) >>

Preach on, NFS4! Both the the Israelis and the Palestinians have 3,000 years of religious conflict and anamosity towards each other, and neither side has a real interest in peace. They will not be happy until the other side is completely wiped out, and they can claim all of their "holy land" as their own. If the US REALLY wants peace in the middle east, they should just step aside and let them wipe each other out.

Aug 10, 2001

<<

<< I'll just say that I hate both the Israelis and the Palestinians. They fight and bomb each other til no end and then yell like little children. I have no sympathy for EITHER ONE OF THEM. If both of them ended up as a greasy spot on the world map, there would be a free 5 minutes on the nightly news;) >>

Preach on, NFS4! Both the the Israelis and the Palestinians have 3,000 years of religious conflict and anamosity towards each other, and neither side has a real interest in peace. They will not be happy until the other side is completely wiped out, and they can claim all of their "holy land" as their own. If the US REALLY wants peace in the middle east, they should just step aside and let them wipe each other out.
>>

It think it's more like 50 years.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Nope, it's more like 3,000. The Israel/Palestine area has been fought over between Christian, Jewish, and Arab factions for a VERY, VERY long time.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< I happen to have the same view as him. I highly doubt the US wants a real peace, since they have been supporting Israel, even though its actions have often been worse than those of the Palestinians. >>

I think it's more a matter of perspective than anything else...

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How many Jews are in the Philippines, Indonesia or Nigeria, yet there is Muslim extremist violence there.

After awhile it makes you start to wonder which side the problem is on.

This is not to say that all Muslims are extremists and believe in violence, but when you take a look around the world and see where the trouble spots are it seems as if the extremists of one religion are normally there.

As for where the current violence started between the Arabs and Jews in Israel/Palestine, look up the 1920-21 Riots.

gar598

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2001
All Sharon has asked for is 7 days of quiet!! Has there been 7 days of quiet? NO
Let's face it arafat can NOT control his own people. The majority of Palestinians will not be happy till every Israelie is out of the region. What other view points are there?

If the United States was Israel they would have eliminated the Palestinians before the 1st sucide bomber killed innocent people.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Palestinian National Charter:

Article 8: The phase in their history, through which the Palestinian people are now living, is that of national (watani) struggle for the liberation of Palestine. Thus the conflicts among the Palestinian national forces are secondary, and should be ended for the sake of the basic conflict that exists between the forces of Zionism and of imperialism on the one hand, and the Palestinian Arab people on the other. On this basis the Palestinian masses, regardless of whether they are residing in the national homeland or in diaspora (mahajir) constitute - both their organizations and the individuals - one national front working for the retrieval of Palestine and its liberation through armed struggle.
Article 9: Armed struggle is the only way to liberate Palestine. This it is the overall strategy, not merely a tactical phase. The Palestinian Arab people assert their absolute determination and firm resolution to continue their armed struggle and to work for an armed popular revolution for the liberation of their country and their return to it . They also assert their right to normal life in Palestine and to exercise their right to self-determination and sovereignty over it.

Article 10: Commando action constitutes the nucleus of the Palestinian popular liberation war. This requires its escalation, comprehensiveness, and the mobilization of all the Palestinian popular and educational efforts and their organization and involvement in the armed Palestinian revolution. It also requires the achieving of unity for the national (watani) struggle among the different groupings of the Palestinian people, and between the Palestinian people and the Arab masses, so as to secure the continuation of the revolution, its escalation, and victory.

Article 21: The Arab Palestinian people, expressing themselves by the armed Palestinian revolution, reject all solutions which are substitutes for the total liberation of Palestine and reject all proposals aiming at the liquidation of the Palestinian problem, or its internationalization.

Article 22: Zionism is a political movement organically associated with international imperialism and antagonistic to all action for liberation and to progressive movements in the world. It is racist and fanatic in its nature, aggressive, expansionist, and colonial in its aims, and fascist in its methods. Israel is the instrument of the Zionist movement, and geographical base for world imperialism placed strategically in the midst of the Arab homeland to combat the hopes of the Arab nation for liberation, unity, and progress. Israel is a constant source of threat vis-a-vis peace in the Middle East and the whole world. Since the liberation of Palestine will destroy the Zionist and imperialist presence and will contribute to the establishment of peace in the Middle East, the Palestinian people look for the support of all the progressive and peaceful forces and urge them all, irrespective of their affiliations and beliefs, to offer the Palestinian people all aid and support in their just struggle for the liberation of their homeland.

Aelus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2000

<< But we will only sit down as equals, not as supplicants; as partners, not as subjects; as seekers of a just and peaceful solution, not as a defeated nation grateful for whatever scraps are thrown our way. >>

i found this a pretty good summary of the entire peace process. Too bad it won't happen as long as israeli prime ministers have to fish for a majority in the pond of the extremists.

Aelus

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Aelus,

They had that chance in 1948. Instead they gathered the Arab world and attacked. When that failed they took up the mantle of terrorists. There are not many countries that will negoiate with terrorists.

The words you point to have not matched their actions of the last 50 years.

Hopefully both sides will find a way to put history behind them and work for peace.

Aelus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2000

<< They had that chance in 1948. Instead they gathered the Arab world and attacked. When that failed they took up the mantle of terrorists. There are not many countries that will negoiate with terrorists.

The words you point to have not matched their actions of the last 50 years.

Hopefully both sides will find a way to put history behind them and work for peace.
>>

really? do you have proof that it was the palestinian civilians that asked to get conquered? don't forget they were conquered too, and they have been living under foreign occupation for centuries.

Aelus

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
For comparsion and to see what at least one other Muslim is saying about the U.S. and England.

Naveed Qamar

"Let us have a look at some of the places where European and American Christians are attacking the Muslims and their mosques to prepare them for the revival of Islam by inviting them to Jihad. Two days after attacks on US, the biggest Islamic centre in Washington was attacked with a bomb which claimed the lives of at least 10 Muslims. The building was completely destroyed in the incident. The embassy of Pakistan is located just two blocks away from the centre. Had there been crackers blasted at some distance from its embassy in any country, America would have reacted to it very sharply. The Islamic centre Darul Hijra in Virginia was fired upon a night before this incident. In Mary Land area adjacent to Washington, windowpanes of the houses of the Muslims were broken. Many blasts were reported in the vicinity of many a mosques in New York. Scores of Muslims were injured in these attacks. In a city of Atlantic, many shops owned by Arabs are yet lying closed. Licenses of a number of mosques have been cancelled. An abortive attempt on the life of a Pakistan, Khalid Waheed, who is the owner of a gas filling station, was also made. However, he escaped unhurt. The next day he was again sprayed a volley of bullets resulting in his instant death.

In Iowa, a mosque was set on fire. In the wall-chalking done by the Christians, people were provoked to kill Muslims. Hearing the name of any Muslim, the English in Britain became angry and start spitting on the passing by Muslims. Government officials trespass on the houses of Muslims and harass the woman inmates, treating them harshly. Scarfs are forcibly removed from their heads. The Muslims of Florida have been confined to their houses. Twelve stores of Muslims located around Pampalo beach and Miami have been completely destroyed by the Christian Americans. A Pakistani Muslim couple was attacked. The woman was kicked to death while her husband and children were severely injured. The Muslims residing in Boston are not joining their duties for fear of falling victim to Christian's torture. Two Muslim women were allegedly raped in an area.

Aelus
really? do you have proof that it was the palestinian civilians that asked to get conquered? don't forget they were conquered too, and they have been living under foreign occupation for centuries.

You really don't know much about M.E. history do you? Go and research the Jaffa riots to see where it started.

What would your response be to someone from a different culture or race moving onto your neighborhood?
Would you condemn someone for terrorizing someone for moving into their neighborhood?

"

Jan 3, 2002
For 8 years Clinton CLEARLY took the Palestinian's side. We know what they want and we know they will kill anyone to get meet their goal.

LOL!!! The money and wepaons were mistakenly going to the other side!

Clintons deal didn't include the right of return, which is one of the main palistinian demands.

Of course the US has and always had a onesided interest in the situation. Israel is an asset, businessmen value their assets. Thats how US sees this, securing its business i.e. its finacial interest in the neighbouring oil partners and keeping an eye on them at the sametime.