April Fools Joke that went wrong :(

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
not really wrong but do we(IT guys) really have such a weird taste of humor? This morning, we sent an email to everybody@company.com that due to spam prevention, we gonna change all email adresses. The address change will help us prevent spam and there's a lot more information in the email address itself. It went from lastname@company.com to following

For Human Resources:
firstname.lastname@hr.emplolyee.company.com

For our Boss:
firstname.lastname@boss.managment.company.com

For our team leaders:
firstname.lastname@location.teamleader.company.com

For an all-employee-addres:
everybody@everyone.company.com

For IT problems:
it.support@location.company.com

etc.
We also asked them to don't submit this address for any sweepstakes they take or whatsoever.

Now, our Boss called us at noon and asks if this is a joke because those guys in the administration are already changing some letters, etc. How can this be taken seriously?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
seems like a fairly reasonable e-mail; doesn't suprise me that people took it seriously.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Yeah, not funny enough. Of course, maybe he's fooling you about folks changing letterheads.

Generally, when sending out company wide emails, it's a good idea to get input from the boss beforehand. Even when it's april fools. Especially when it's april fools.

Edit:

I would have suggested the same opening, but, the change would have been to use 'random' email addresses so that spammers had a hard time finding you. Alternatively, "we are thinking of switching our domain to 'competing-company.com' " so that we no longer receive any spam.

Might add, "We will be rejecting random emails in the hopes of further reducing spam"

Etc.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: dman
Yeah, not funny enough. Of course, maybe he's fooling you about folks changing letterheads.

Generally, when sending out company wide emails, it's a good idea to get input from the boss beforehand. Even when it's april fools. Especially when it's april fools.

that's what we thought too so we called the administration themself. Let's say... they didn't find it funny ;)

We're not a large company, we have like 40 full-time employees and it's more like a family and the ITs are the little brats ;)

spherrod

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
www.steveherrod.com
<Whoops! - Forgot to introduce this, we sent this to 'select' employees this morning>

Hi all,

You may have noticed a marked increase in virus alert e-mails over the last couple of days. Global IT have informed me that they have tracked the source of the majority of the mails to a registration domain which stores e-mail addresses harvested from forums, messenger and/or simply e-mail traffic. Apparently the virus refers to this database and spoofs the addresses to perpetuate itself across the internet.

In order to remove your e-mail addresses from this database, I would please ask you to do the following?

1. Save any work you are currently in the middle of
2. Close all programs apart from Outlook
3. Click on the following link below?
4. Select the section marked "You don't know? E-mail address database
5. Scroll through until you find your address, then right-click and select "remove from listing"

Link to database - http://www.youdontknowwhoiam.org/lol.html

This should then almost entirely remove the virus e-mails you have been receiving over the last few days.

Thanks for your help.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Tell people you will be removing all internet access from work machines effective tomorrow (so they have today to sweat it out).

Not everyone will fall for it but it's a simple yet effective April fools.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: rh71
Tell people you will be removing all internet access from work machines effective tomorrow (so they have today to sweat it out).

Not everyone will fall for it but it's a simple yet effective April fools.

yeah. imo, if you're going a work-related April Fools joke, it has to be something totally over-the-top.

for my AF joke, I was thinking of writing in my shift report (gets e-mailed and read company-wide): "pretty slow night... I spilled some beer inside one of the main routers, but I figure the afternoon guys can take care of it."

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Why would generating thousands of calls to your help desk be considered funny?

ahm... 40 workers at MAX and you think EVERYONE will call? it would be 1 or 2 phone call max but we know that women tend to overreact ;)

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
i can see where it would be funny for us IT guys, but i think its not funny enough for someone to think its a joke

Dogg

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: spherrod
<Whoops! - Forgot to introduce this, we sent this to 'select' employees this morning>

Hi all,

You may have noticed a marked increase in virus alert e-mails over the last couple of days. Global IT have informed me that they have tracked the source of the majority of the mails to a registration domain which stores e-mail addresses harvested from forums, messenger and/or simply e-mail traffic. Apparently the virus refers to this database and spoofs the addresses to perpetuate itself across the internet.

In order to remove your e-mail addresses from this database, I would please ask you to do the following?

5. Scroll through until you find your address, then right-click and select "remove from listing"

Link to database - Link

This should then almost entirely remove the virus e-mails you have been receiving over the last few days.

Thanks for your help.

Someone is going to kill you over than link.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I work for a place that was once named Primus Managed Hosting Solutions - and a couple of years back, for april fools someone sent an email around saying we're taking the "hosting" out of our name, thus naming ouselves PMS... hah hah.... the whole email went on as innuendo regarding PMS and it was completely lame. Some guys need a better sense of humor, that's for sure :p

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
People get fired for doing stuff like that in a big company like the one I work for.... so....

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsei
People get fired for doing stuff like that in a big company like the one I work for.... so....

yeah, we're not so big and I wouldn't do that in a big company like IBM or Microsoft, that's for sure. But in a small company :)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
You should have sent a message saying: "Due to cutbacks, all employees must turn in their workstations and be assigned a new slide rule and notepad. " Go on a long spiel about it and then refer all questions to your boss ;)

spherrod

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
www.steveherrod.com
Originally posted by: crumpet19

Hi all,

Link to database - http://www.youdontknowwhoiam.org/lol.html

Thanks for your help.

we didn't mail everyone :) Just a carefully selected hitlist...

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: crumpet19

Hi all,

Link to database - Link

Thanks for your help.

we didn't mail everyone :) Just a carefully selected hitlist...
No...somebody here. Namely a mod.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ndee
Originally posted by: Skoorb
AF jokes are fvcking dumb. Serves you right :( Yeah I'm a spoil-sport :|

YOU are dumb for calling me dumb!
YOU are dumb for calling me dumb for saying you were dumb, when in fact I didn't say you were dumb, dumby!!

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

YOU are dumb for calling me dumb for saying you were dumb, when in fact I didn't say you were dumb, dumby!!

Ha, you are even DUMBER for calling ME dumb because I called you dumb for calling me dumb! Oh right, you said AF jokes were dumb. And you posted that in my thread so.... YOU think that MY AF joke was dumb, when it wasn't!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Ha, you are even DUMBER for calling ME dumb because I called you dumb for calling me dumb! Oh right, you said AF jokes were dumb. And you posted that in my thread so.... YOU think that MY AF joke was dumb, when it wasn't!
YOUR DUMB!