Appropriate gifts to give to your significant other's family?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
I replied on the YAGT forums for you :)

I think what I said should be really helpful... I dunno.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Dezign
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i would get a gift for his mom, but without knowing what his mom likes this question is impossible.

maybe something she collects or something nice for the house or a statue like a risian horgon

His dad is a physics professor... really smart guy, graduated with a Ph.D from Harvard, but I don't think he has many hobbies outside physics.

His mom is originally from the island of Martinique... she likes travelling, and constantly surfs the 'net for cheap plane tickets around the world. I don't think that helps me, though... what's a Risian Horgon?

hmm martinique huh? well she can probably appreciate an ounce of reefer and a bob marley cd. haha

seriously you could get her a nice potted plant, a bromiliade or an indoor palm or something

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
what's that plant that Ben Stiller got for the dad in "Meet the Parents"? Get one of those.

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: KGB
Originally posted by: Sifl
Originally posted by: notfred
Don't buy anything expensive, you'll just feel stupid about wasting the money when you guys break up 6 months from now.

The bitter has arrived.

hehe.. so NotFred's == The Bitter... NFS4==Darkness....RossMann ==GrandNagus... what next? :confused:

:p;)

you == Konfused GanjaSmoking Brotha... ?
just kidding ;) :)

as for the OP - treat them out to a nice dinner when you are there.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
How about a fruit basket, or a selection of cheeses and crackers, pâté, etc? Perhaps you could bake a pie, or other treat? Taking his family for dinner is a nice suggestion, but could prove expensive.

When I'm giving gifts of thanks I usually give a good bottle of wine or a bottle of single malt scotch.

Avoid spending too much; it's embarrasing and not necessary.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjbruin
Don't buy anything expensive, you'll just feel stupid about wasting the money when you guys break up 6 months from now.

The bitter has arrived.

hehe.. so NotFred's == The Bitter... NFS4==Darkness....RossMann ==GrandNagus... what next? :confused:

I'm Rick James B!TCH!!! F&CK Yo COUCH ni&&A :D
OP==Old People? LOL

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: brigden
How about a fruit basket, or a selection of cheeses and crackers, pâté, etc? Perhaps you could bake a pie, or other treat? Taking his family for dinner is a nice suggestion, but could prove expensive.

When I'm giving gifts of thanks I usually give a good bottle of wine or a bottle of single malt scotch.

Avoid spending too much; it's embarrasing and not necessary.

I know they really like pâté... I don't quite trust my baking skills enough to whip up a cake/pie/cookies (and I'm not sure they'd survive the 11-hour drive!), and will definitely consider that one too. I'm going to run the dinner/plant/pate options by the boy tonight, and we'll pick the best one from there. :) I won't be spending too much money because I don't have any :p and I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable... I won't spend more than ~$30-40 or so. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are much appreciated... :)

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjbruin

The bitter has arrived.

I'm Rick James B!TCH!!! F&CK Yo COUCH ni&&A :D
OP==Old People? LOL

haha... it was just the first thing that came to my mind when i looked at your icon. (op = original post-er)

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Is this the college boy?

No, the 19-year-old UCLA frosh and I are just friends now.

I met this one through schizoid... they're both first-year computer science Ph.D students at USC.

Jan 18, 2001
Instead of giving them a gift when you arrive, take your time to get to know them and get them something before you leave. Also, just buy them one thing between the two of them, otherwise its way too personal too soon. Just a nice thank you and I really enjoyed meeting you present.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Food is always good, but your boyfriend might be able to give you some specifics as to their interests.