Appropriate gifts to give to your significant other's family?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
My 5-day vacation request has been approved by my boss. This means I'll be driving out to New Mexico with my boyfriend to meet his family for the first time... we'll be taking off March 12, returning March 21.

I think it'd be polite/appropriate to bring them some sort of gift/present, as I'll be a guest in their home for 10 days. I'm completely stumped as to what I should give them... does anyone have any suggestions? Have you been in a similar situation, and if so, what did you give to the family/parents of your boyfriend/girlfriend? Did they like it?

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
If you were my new potential daughter in law I'd want to see something scantily clad, preferably in divx format.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i would get a gift for his mom, but without knowing what his mom likes this question is impossible.

maybe something she collects or something nice for the house or a statue like a risian horgon

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
While it is the gift that keeps on giving, genital herpes would not be very good to give to the SOs family.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i would get a gift for his mom, but without knowing what his mom likes this question is impossible.

maybe something she collects or something nice for the house or a statue like a risian horgon

His dad is a physics professor... really smart guy, graduated with a Ph.D from Harvard, but I don't think he has many hobbies outside physics.

His mom is originally from the island of Martinique... she likes travelling, and constantly surfs the 'net for cheap plane tickets around the world. I don't think that helps me, though... what's a Risian Horgon?

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Stop by a florist for a tasteful floral arrangement. Or bring a plate of cookies that you made yourself (or some other dessert you made.)

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
You treat them to a nice meal while you are visiting.

That's a sweet idea... would it be too forward to me to invite them out to dinner? Maybe I can cook for them one night (*refers to what to cook for dinner thread* :) ).

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
You can ask his father if he's a "computational fluids dynamics engineer?"

He'll be impressed ;), or otherwise bring a mikasa vase, maybe an exotic asian plant to put in their garden (granted the conditions in NM allow for such things to grow)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Don't buy anything expensive, you'll just feel stupid about wasting the money when you guys break up 6 months from now.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Don't buy anything expensive, you'll just feel stupid about wasting the money when you guys break up 6 months from now.

The bitter has arrived.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Sifl
Originally posted by: notfred

The bitter has arrived.

hehe.. so NotFred's == The Bitter... NFS4==Darkness....RossMann ==GrandNagus... what next? :confused:

:p;)

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: KGB
You can ask his father if he's a "computational fluids dynamics engineer?"

He'll be impressed ;), or otherwise bring a mikasa vase, maybe an exotic asian plant to put in their garden (granted the conditions in NM allow for such things to grow)

I know next to nothing about physics (all I can remember from college, which is... pretty much nothing), and I'm afraid I'll open a can of worms I won't be able to contain if I start pretending I actually understand things like "Riemannian Gauge Theory and Charge Quantization", "Supersymmetry without Grassmann Variables", "Quark-Antiquark Condensates Break Chiral Symmetry", "Neutrinos Are Nearly Dirac Fermions", etc. :(

A vase and pretty/exotic plant is a terrific idea. Hopefully their big dogs won't knock it over. o_O