Apple Releases New iPod video and iMac. Also iTunes 6 launched.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
If anything, the most interesting(and useful) item of today's annoucements have been the integrated camera and PhotoBooth application. It'll be interesting to see what people do with the camera now that it's standard, and PhotoBooth's flash feature is just brilliant in a "I wish I would have thought of that" kind of way.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: omissible
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: remagavon
Originally posted by: ribbon13
Originally posted by: remagavon
Originally posted by: Anubis
new imac? it looks the same as the old one, whats new about it

DDR2, pci-express graphics, and software called front row that is fairly innovative. Also a built in iSight camera.

Front row? Music, photos, videos, and DVD? Sounds like something I'd use Xbox Media Center for... which existed prior, making this not so innovative. Woo hoo, glorified file browsing media player. Score 1 for Apple. I wonder if that little remote takes proprietary batteries?

Take flaming to OT. This is for a homer user, not a technogeek. :)

IMO it is still pointless for the home user, how hard is it to open a folder and click on a file?

Pretty darned hard if you're trying to read filenames on a screen from across the room.

Yep. Like I said most people will be able to utilize these new features for everyday use in a normal home environment. It's much better than media center PCs (viiv looks great tohugh) because it does everything you that a home user would do (show people pictures, play music, etc), and is elegantly simple.

bluemax

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2000
All I can say is faaaan-tastic! The new iMac is just plain cool! Not only is the 20" version $100 cheaper, but has all those huge upgrades too! More for less money? I'll take it! :D

Yes, you can get a Windows box for less money, but it'll be a Windows box, not a Mac - a very different beast entirely. Say what you will, the iMac is a good value - even if it does cost more. I'm jumping ship from 20 years of PC compatibles at the first oportunity.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: Lyfer
Wow, nice. I was just thinking I should get an iMac for the woman. :D

For $1.3k you could get 7800GTX+20"LCD goodneeds.:)

I can do a lot more with a computer than I can with a video card and monitor. ;)

I'm talkin an entire box, not just an LCD and video card.

EVGA 7800GTX + SLI board = $470 (evga offers lifetime warranty on this investment)
Dell 20" LCD = $400 (from hotdeals)
Venice 3200 OEM= $133
1gb valueram ddr400= $90
120gb hd = $80
dvdrw= $40

$1213, add in HSF and keyboard/mice and you got a FPS beast.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003

I can do a lot more with a computer than I can with a video card and monitor. ;)

EVGA 7800GTX + SLI board = $470 (evga offers lifetime warranty on this investment)
Venice 3200 OEM= $133
1gb valueram ddr400= $90
120gb hd = $80
dvdrw= $40

What about a case and PSU ($150 for a decent one), as well as an OS ($99-$199), decent heatsink (you did mention) is $20, extra fans are roughly $20 or so unless your case includes them), keyboard/mouse is roughly $50 or so for a decent setup. Also add in DVD software (included with OSX) $20-40, dvd creation software ($20-40) Since the iMac includes wifi and bluetooth, add another $70 or so for those add in cards. It adds up. :)

Also I believe that eVga promotion ended, so it's about $50 more or so to buy a 7800 and a motherboard separately.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Venice 3200 OEM= $133
1gb valueram ddr400= $90
120gb hd = $80
dvdrw= $40

He specifically said this is for his woman, not YOU. :p

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

Venice 3200 OEM= $133
1gb valueram ddr400= $90
120gb hd = $80
dvdrw= $40

And that's going to do what for my web browsing, emailing, and SSHing? What about for my girlfriend? Will it run OS X better? Or Safari, or Mail.app?

I don't see a case or PSU in there. Are they going to look as good as the iMac (I like the iMac)? Are they going to take up as little space?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: manly

Exactly. I got her a Mac mini, and she loves it. Apparently OS X is better than Windows, for some people. :Q

Oct 6, 2004
I don't understand why one sitting 8 inches from their computer would need a remote control?

Also, that new iPod --> Does it have video/audio out? I would lose my eyesight watching a 2 inch screen for hours.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Do i have to use itunes in order to put music/video onto it? I am thinking of getting one. My current RCA mp3 player allows me to do everything from windows explorer.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: RegisteredJack
I don't understand why one sitting 8 inches from their computer would need a remote control?

Because sometimes you're not 8 inches away from your computer. :confused:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Exactly. I got her a Mac mini, and she loves it. Apparently OS X is better than Windows, for some people. :Q
Blasphemy! Unless of course you can *cough* "try" Mac OS X86 ripped from the DTK.

Maybe Lyfer wants to be your new woman? ;)

ValuedCustomer

May 5, 2004

yep, the reg callin' it like they see it.. again

Low-quality and portable? That must beat actually being good, right?

If you've encountered a Sony PSP, you've seen how a handheld video player should look. It's luscious; it's big; the screen demands to be looked at. As it happens, I first saw one in May, when the Elgato team demonstrated how they'd figured out how to transfer video from EyeTV to the PSP; they showed me an episode of Desperate Housewives. It looked great.

Compared to that, the new video-enabled iPod is just not there. Sure, Jobs said when introducing it that "The screen is so large..." but that's 'large' when compared to something smaller. The new screen is barely larger than the old iPod: 320x240 pixels vs 220x176, 2.5-inch TFT. What's new is the video-decoding chips, from Portal Player, which makes the guts of the machine, giving 30 frame-per-second real-time decoding of MPEG-4 and H.264 video.

Having said a year ago, with the launch of the iPod Photo, that there wasn't any point doing video on a handheld - that it was "the wrong direction to go", "there?s no content," "the screens are too small" and that competitors to the iPod putting R&D into providing video were "digging in the wrong place" - what does Jobs go and do? Yup, unveil an iPod that can play video.

All Apple's rivals are going to say that they were there first, and they do it better. Only Sony, though, can legitimately claim to have the better experience. With the PSP selling at a rate that does challenge the iPod, it will be interesting to see how content sales play out in the next year or so.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Blasphemy! Unless of course you can *cough* "try" Mac OS X86 ripped from the DTK.

I don't want Mac OS X x86 right now. I like the PowerPC chips too much. Looking at G5s. Constantly. :Drool;

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
I see what they are doing they release stuff to get people hooked when there stuff starts dying they release sumthing else to make you guys/girls stay they got you guys on easy.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: w00t
I see what they are doing they release stuff to get people hooked when there stuff starts dying they release sumthing else to make you guys/girls stay they got you guys on easy.

Can someone translate this to English please?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

I don't want Mac OS X x86 right now. I like the PowerPC chips too much. Looking at G5s. Constantly. :Drool;
I have a Mac mini (and like it), so I was only testing your sarcasm meter. :) And save your drool for dual-core G5s. ;)

Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: RegisteredJack

Because sometimes you're not 8 inches away from your computer. :confused:

No, I'm never more than 8 inches away from MY computer!

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Comparing the new iPod Video to PSP is stupid. They both serve very different purposes.

And Sony has gotten its arse reamed for the lack of GAME content. Too many expensive movies but no games.

Apple is showing everyone up once again. They'll sell millions of these and rake in millions in content fees. Time to buy some more stock.

btdvox

Jun 8, 2005
I must say, for that price why not just buy a PSP

and secondly it looks big, i woul dthink ipod is tryin gto go smaller, who wants a huge music player? why not just carry a boombox around?

Thats wher ethe nano and mini shined and did so well, i bought a nano 2 days ago, its really nice and SMALL
sound quality is great to, but for 50 bucks more i couldve gotten 16 more gigs of music, but why? its huge.