Apple Releases New iPod video and iMac. Also iTunes 6 launched.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Apple

new iMac
Dual Layer DVD Burner Standard
DDR2/PCI Express (Radeon x600/x600xt graphics)
Speed bumps to 1.9GHz (17") and 2.1GHz (20")
Front row software described later
Intuitive Remote
Built in iSight camera

new iPod
30Gb and 60Gb models
Supports syncing with iTunes for tv shows/music videos/music
Slightly larger screen size
Longer battery life (20 hrs claimed) for music playback

iTunes 6
Supports tv show downloads (only 1.99 each!)
Over 2,000 music videos available for download

Front Row New media center type program bundled with the iMac (and also a remote).

Looking good. Apple's doing a very good job of targeting the home market with the new iMac. A simple remote adds a ton of functionality that aids lounging around in the family room.

robisc

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
so the rumor sights were both right and wrong it seems, also the Apple stre must be getting hammered, as it seems down right now.

AudiPorsche

Nov 2, 2000
too bad about battery life on 30gig... 2hrs for video is weaksauce. Especially with non removavble battery

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Anubis
new imac? it looks the same as the old one, whats new about it

DDR2, pci-express graphics, and software called front row that is fairly innovative. Also a built in iSight camera.

robisc

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
quote: Originally posted by: Anubis new imac? it looks the same as the old one, whats new about it DDR2, pci-express graphics, and software called front row that is fairly innovative.

Thinner and faster CPU too

forgot the remote

FlasHBurN

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
The link seems to be getting hammered. Anyone know if the increased the Ipod storage size to 80gb yet?

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: FlasHBurN
The link seems to be getting hammered. Anyone know if the increased the Ipod storage size to 80gb yet?

Nope. Only 30gb and 60gb models available.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Wow, nice. I was just thinking I should get an iMac for the woman. :D

For $1.3k you could get 7800GTX+20"LCD goodneeds.:)

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
Originally posted by: remagavon

DDR2, pci-express graphics, and software called front row that is fairly innovative. Also a built in iSight camera.

Front row? Music, photos, videos, and DVD? Sounds like something I'd use Xbox Media Center for... which existed prior, making this not so innovative. Woo hoo, glorified file browsing media player. Score 1 for Apple. I wonder if that little remote takes proprietary batteries?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Lyfer
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Wow, nice. I was just thinking I should get an iMac for the woman. :D

For $1.3k you could get 7800GTX+20"LCD goodneeds.:)

I can do a lot more with a computer than I can with a video card and monitor. ;)

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: ribbon13

Front row? Music, photos, videos, and DVD? Sounds like something I'd use Xbox Media Center for... which existed prior, making this not so innovative. Woo hoo, glorified file browsing media player. Score 1 for Apple. I wonder if that little remote takes proprietary batteries?

Take flaming to OT. This is for a homer user, not a technogeek. :)

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: manly
So much for dual-core Power Macs. Maybe soon?

Powerbooks and Powermacs are supposed to be updated later this week or early next according to rumors. I would expect big upgrades to the powermacs especially; the iMac having pci express and ddr2 support is certianly a foreshadowing of what the powermacs will get.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

IMO it is still pointless for the home user, how hard is it to open a folder and click on a file?

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003

IMO it is still pointless for the home user, how hard is it to open a folder and click on a file?

Not hard at all. It's about not only ease of use, but accessibility. This is a great computer for the living room or family room, like I said before. A lot of people don't have an high tech PC setup in their rooms as the main computer in the house, many people have a 'family pc' that is off to the side in the central area of their home. And this will help in bringing that computer into the main areas of at home living.

Want to change songs quickly? Hit a button on your remote, rather than walking across the room to do it. Want to show off some pictures while you have friends over? Hit a button on the remote. Video clip? You get the picture. As far as sitting on your couch and watching a dvd on the iMac; nobody is going to do that. But the 'home' style software they're introducing will see great acceptance, especially among people that already have an iMac to reduce clutter.

This isn't a professional machine, but they're doing a great job at making it a personal computer.

sluthy

Sep 25, 2005
Originally posted by: KDOG
I can't believe they didn't put a widescreen on that thing...

...um, it IS widescreen, has been since the original G5 (and late G4s).

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
" Watch in high-quality, H.264 QuickTime format "

Bout time they have started doing this. I cannot believe how long it has taken these companies to create video on demand..

Needs more support for more shows than merely disney and some abc. Also no thanks to Quicktime...

A step in the right direction perhaps?

I still refuse to use Itunes however.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: sluthy
Originally posted by: KDOG
I can't believe they didn't put a widescreen on that thing...

...um, it IS widescreen, has been since the original G5 (and late G4s).

I think he means the iPod, in which case I agree with him.

omissible

Aug 21, 2004

Pretty darned hard if you're trying to read filenames on a screen from across the room.